• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I imagine we'll be getting CoroCoro in the next few days, can't wait!

Only stuff I've seen recently is a single post on 4chan saying the Japanese fandom has been throwing around the term "Meruhen Type" (meaning "wonder tale", some kind of German loan word) for Sylveon, Xerneas, and Yveltal recently or something, but who knows if that's speculation.

Watch Da Birdie

The latter and probably the Battle Subway. I used to battle competitively with my friends but that was in high school, maybe that'll change in the coming months.

Follow up question regarding breeding, on average how long does it take to get (legitimately) a Pokemon you're completely satisfied with? Because I'm OCD about getting the highest possible stats on anything and breeding will probably kill me lol. Back in HS, I had to use pokesav to get Pokemon's with 25+ IVs so I can battle my friends because I had very little leisure time to breed.

One time it took me half-a-day to get a satisfying Sewaddle.

I actually got a SHINY SEWADDLE hatched from an egg before I found one with the right Nature + IV combo. Interestingly, the father Leavanny was a Shiny too. All I need now is a Shiny Swadloon. :0

Stage On

Grabbed Meloetta today... Times 4.

It was funny cause the clerk at the Local Eb games also talked about how he was going to do the same thing.

It never hurt to have extra copies of an event only Pokemon after all :)

wPmTebL.png

This was the 5th egg I hatched. Haha.

(Yes, I know the date is off. One of my obsessive tendencies is with when and where it says the Pokémon for my team are hatched. The 15th of the month is usually to when I always choose to change the date.)

I'll probably give this one away if anyone wants it. I actually wanted a female to help with the Attract woes my formerly all-male team recently ran into. Though so far it has been too bad about Zorua's 12.5% female rate. :/

But Illusion copies gender too!

I imagine we'll be getting CoroCoro in the next few days, can't wait!

Only stuff I've seen recently is a single post on 4chan saying the Japanese fandom has been throwing around the term "Meruhen Type" (meaning "wonder tale", some kind of German loan word) for Sylveon, Xerneas, and Yveltal recently or something, but who knows if that's speculation.

It is.

I like the rumours, but let's not forget how this always works.

CengizMan

Not sure whether it has been posted here, but Kotaku published an article where they compare how the Pokémon anime has changed visually. A little bit of back story:

As previously mentioned, Ash's Charizard is returning to the Pokémon animated series as a regular character, er, Pocket Monster. What last night's episode illustrated was just how different the Pokémon anime looks all these years later. And does it ever.

[...]

But last night's flashback, which introduced Charizard to a younger generation of anime fans, was more than a simple hi-def touch-up on widescreen televisions. It allowed the show's creators to revisit classic scenes in a new way. Not everything changed, though. Some things did stay the same—or almost the same. It's interesting to see what was tweaked and what wasn't.

Some of the pictures:

Click here for more!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah someone already posted that.

They're very shitty in that they deliberately picked the terrible comparisons and not the good ones, like the ones with prominent humans.

Chocobro

WHY DO YOU HATE ME ARCEUS?

Seriously, what are the chances of those IVs without using the RNG? I've never gotten anything that good before, and of course the one bad stat is one that I need!

I'll just have to settle for this one. :<

Whaaat D:

Just curious, are the screencaps from Pokecheck?

This was the 5th egg I hatched. Haha.

(Yes, I know the date is off. One of my obsessive tendencies is with when and where it says the Pokémon for my team are hatched. The 15th of the month is usually to when I always choose to change the date.)

I'll probably give this one away if anyone wants it. I actually wanted a female to help with the Attract woes my formerly all-male team recently ran into. Though so far it has been too bad about Zorua's 12.5% female rate. :/

But Illusion copies gender too!

:eek:! Are you still trading this? I've been wanting to breed a Zoroark for a long while. I have a whole bunch of Lv.1 pokes with good IVs from pokes I've bred in the past. If you're interested I'll look through my game and post a list.

Watch Da Birdie

It is.

I like the rumours, but let's not forget how this always works.

Actually, I'm a bit more inclined to believe this because, as Serebii said, CoroCoro leaks usually seem to start as text rumors first before we get pics popping up.

But then again, I've no way of searching Japanese sites to see if this is real. And I kind of want it to be real because I've been wanting a "Fairy Type"

They're very shitty in that they deliberately picked the terrible comparisons and not the good ones, like the ones with prominent humans.

Yeah, Charmander's old trainer...Darien? Look great. He was drawn differently, but I instantly realized who he was and didn't even realize the change till I saw an old picture.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Actually, I'm a bit more inclined to believe this because, as Serebii said, CoroCoro leaks usually seem to start as text rumors first before we get pics popping up.

But then again, I've no way of searching Japanese sites to see if this is real. And I kind of want it to be real because I've been wanting a "Fairy Type"

What rumor?

Watch Da Birdie

What rumor?

Dude on 4chan simply posed "rumblings around Japanese fandom indicate a Meruhen Type" (a German loan word for fairy-tale) and that Sylveon was one, and Xerneas was Meruhen/Grass and Yveltal Meruhen/Fire.

That's all he posted, and didn't add anything else, which is different from most rumors which are usually a whole paragraph in detail.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Dude on 4chan simply posed "rumblings around Japanese fandom indicate a Meruhen Type" (a German loan word for fairy-tale) and that Sylveon was one, and Xerneas was Meruhen/Grass and Yveltal Meruhen/Fire.

That's all he posted, and didn't add anything else, which is different from most rumors which are usually a whole paragraph in detail.

I hope that it's real. I'm going to take that rumor with very very small grain of salt.

Aggrotek

I talked a bit about it in my podcast the other day. I don't really want it to be called fairy though...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I talked a bit about it in my podcast the other day. I don't really want it to be called fairy though...

Why? They can't call it Light or Holy because it might led to controversy. Also I really like Fairy as name because it would actually make sense for Clefairy, Jigglypuff and Chansey.

Unicorn

Why? They can't call it Light or Holy because it might led to controversy. Also I really like Fairy as name because it would actually make sense for Clefairy, Jigglypuff and Chansey.

Yup.

Whether this will retcon "Normal" or not (if true) I don't know. I've always hated the fact that it is called "Normal." It just makes no goddamn sense. Like, they weren't able to just do Typeless or something.

why would they introduce fairy type now after 5 gens of fairy like pokemon such as Clefairy and Audino?

Same reason Steel was later introduced, which altered Magnemite. Balancing, mostly, and adds variety to typing.

entremet

Got rocked by Red's Pikachu. Level 88?! Jesus.

He swept my whole team which are around 55. Is that too low? I guess I answered my question.

Here's my team. Some are burdened with shitty HM moves and I'm still playing postgame stuff--catching legendaries, rock climbing caves, etc.

Typhosion (Blaze)
Charcoal

Cut
Solarbeam
Sunny Day
Flamethrower

Graveler (Rock Head)--Can't evolve lol and I'm not changing my whole wireless setup to WEP to do so.
Quick Claw

Stone Edge
Earthquake
Rock Smash
Explosion

Machoke (Guts, should've gotten one with No Hit)--Can't evolve. See above.
No item

Strength
Cross Chop
Dynamic Punch
Rock Climb

Crobat (Inner Focus)
No Item

Fly
Confuse Ray
Poison Fang
Bite

Espeon (Synchronize)
No Item

Psychic
Future Sight
Shadow Ball
Flash

Gyarados (Intimidate) Mystic Water
Mystic Water

Waterfall
Surf
Ice Fang
Dragon Dance

Any recommendations on updating movesets or proper levels? I wish this game was more like Gen V in leveling. It's a pain to level here. And getting lucky egg is also hard as well.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Got rocked by Red's Pikachu. Level 88?! Jesus.

He swept my whole team which are around 55. Is that too low? I guess I answered my question.

Here's my team. Some are burdened with shitty HM moves and I'm still playing postgame stuff--catching legendaries, rock climbing caves, etc.

Typhosion (Blaze)
Charcoal

Cut
Solarbeam
Sunny Day
Flamethrower

Graveler (Rock Head)--Can't evolve lol and I'm not changing my whole wireless setup to WEP to do so.
Quick Claw

Stone Edge
Earthquake
Rock Smash
Explosion

Machoke (Guts, should've gotten one with No Hit)--Can't evolve. See above.
No item

Strength
Cross Chop
Dynamic Punch
Rock Climb

Crobat (Inner Focus)
No Item

Fly
Confuse Ray
Poison Fang
Bite

Espeon (Synchronize)
No Item

Psychic
Future Sight
Shadow Ball
Flash

Gyarados (Intimidate) Mystic Water
Mystic Water

Waterfall
Surf
Ice Fang
Dragon Dance

Any recommendations on updating movesets or proper levels? I wish this game was more like Gen V in leveling. It's a pain to level here. And getting lucky egg is also hard as well.

You need to train your pokemon little more. I had to grind to get my pokemon to about 70ish. You need to get HM Pokemon so your good pokemon wouldn't suffer with bad HM moves.

I do too usually - even in BW I made sure to teach everyone, just in case I needed the moves. I don't really care much about "optimal movesets" in the main game, since you most likely won't have to worry if you learn the right things.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I guess I never fell in line with the HM slave concept. I always spread out my HM moves around my party.

People have different style of how to handle HM. I used to spread it out to the party until I got tired of it so I went with HM slaves because they are perfect fodder for me to raise pokemons with items.

entremet

I do too usually - even in BW I made sure to teach everyone, just in case I needed the moves. I don't really care much about "optimal movesets" in the main game, since you most likely won't have to worry if you learn the right things.

I think optimal movesets are more important when you start doing the expert level challenges like Battle Frontier or PWT in B2W2.

But for me I only need Rock Climb and Fly it seems right now.

I think optimal movesets are more important when you start doing the expert level challenges like Battle Frontier or PWT in B2W2.

But for me I only need Rock Climb and Fly it seems right now.
I mean they don't matter to me during the main story, before beating the E4 (and some time after). Stuff like any Battle Point facility is strictly postgame for me, and require different approaches beyond "make sure I have a switch-in for any type".

And on that note, I often make a team specifically for those advanced challenges, so the outcome is the same in the end.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
So I'm probably going to get a 3DS and Pokémon X or Y in the fall, but for now, I think I want to get BW2.

Even when looking at bulbapedia, I don't really know which game should I get, Black 2 or White 2.. My friend is saying that I should get White because he thinks it has better legendaries.

Is there some simple guidelines into picking a game? Like "if you like this or that, get White 2"?

Whaaat D:

Just curious, are the screencaps from Pokecheck?

Yeah! I used to take my Pokémon to the Battle Institute one at a time so they'd auto-level to 50 and I could enter their stats into an IV calculator. Once I realized how much faster and easier Pokécheck is, I stopped doing the calculations myself!

:eek:! Are you still trading this? I've been wanting to breed a Zoroark for a long while. I have a whole bunch of Lv.1 pokes with good IVs from pokes I've bred in the past. If you're interested I'll look through my game and post a list.

Yes!

I'll trade this one or this one. Whichever one you don't pick, someone else is welcome to!

You don't have to trade me anything special, unless you have a PP Up or PP Max you wanted to part with. I'm redoing my whole team, and even with playing the Dream Radar it takes a while to get enough PP items for every attack.

My friend code is 4213 1795 5994.

backlot

Yeah! I used to take my Pokémon to the Battle Institute one at a time so they'd auto-level to 50 and I could enter their stats into an IV calculator. Once I realized how much faster and easier Pokécheck is, I stopped doing the calculations myself!

I just use the IV guy and a few Rare Candies to check IV's. Doesn't take too long and the IV guy helps weed out the really poor IV's pretty quick.

So I'm probably going to get a 3DS and Pokémon X or Y in the fall, but for now, I think I want to get BW2.

Even when looking at bulbapedia, I don't really know which game should I get, Black 2 or White 2.. My friend is saying that I should get White because he thinks it has better legendaries.

Is there some simple guidelines into picking a game? Like "if you like this or that, get White 2"?

Did you have a look at the pokemon exclusive to each game while on bulbapedia? Personally I just pick the version with the pokes I like best in it. White 2 has Reshiram, Black 2 has Zekrom and then they fuse with Kyurem to make the one on the cover.

Yes!

I'll trade this one or this one. Whichever one you don't pick, someone else is welcome to!

You don't have to trade me anything special, unless you have a PP Up or PP Max you wanted to part with. I'm redoing my whole team, and even with playing the Dream Radar it takes a while to get enough PP items for every attack.

My friend code is 4213 1795 5994.

I'd like the male one please! Friend code is 4813 6886 2313. I have 3 PP Max I can trade, how many do you need? (I have like, 19 PP Up, where did those come from?!)

Azure J

People have different style of how to handle HM. I used to spread it out to the party until I got tired of it so I went with HM slaves because they are perfect fodder for me to raise pokemons with items.

Learning to have one devoted "HM Pokemon" opened up a whole new world for me in my Silver version days. I always thought people ran with mixed HM teams only to see myself getting outpaced when folks started using mixed coverage teams instead.

I just wish if I didn't have to run back to the Pokemon Center to withdraw my dedicated fliers sometimes. :lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually spreading HM moves among your pokemon works better than HM slaving.

Same with in many cases just running three or four pokemon to keep your levels higher.

Top Bottom