• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

MikeMyers

Dude fuck the tag match against Clair and Lance, Silver died straight away making it a handicap match.

Thankfully, Red Gyarados survived THUNDER and Ice Fang'd Dragonite to hell.

Something tells me that if I go to sleep now, everything will leak 20 minutes later, and it'll all be over by morning - how inconvenient...

edit: Looking back, it seems that cover did come at 1 AM EST - on the 12th. Hmm...

backlot

Something tells me that if I go to sleep now, everything will leak 20 minutes later, and it'll all be over by morning - how inconvenient...

edit: Looking back, it seems that cover did come at 1 AM EST - on the 12th. Hmm...

Hurry up and go to bed so I can see everything!

q1TgLl.png

Stage On

Yeah, Charizard kinda makes the rest of Ash's team look weak as fuck. Gotta save some of them so they can evolve in the Gen 7 league episodes or some shit *glares at Cyndaquil and Phanpy*

That's because Ash's Best Wish's team IS weak as fuck. Oshawott has got such a great personality but is a complete loser when it comes to battles. He even lost quite pathetically to Cherin .

Snivy has a really cool personalty as well but she's hasn't been developed at all.

The rest aren't much better :(

Corphish I imagine will be the next one. Back then I guess they had that "no Dark-type Pokemon", and with its evolution being a main force of Team Aqua, they thought it'd be weird.

I almost don't want Corphish to evolve. His "hey hey" cry in Japanese is utterly hilarious

Diamond and Pearl BLOWS Best Wishes out of the water in every way, except perhaps Best Wishes has a better main trio (but even then their Pokemon don't live up to the DP crew) and the art style has better quality over all, even if there's a ton more episodes a lot of them are great and they were very good at keeping plot-lines going.

The battles were also way better than the stuff you get in Best Wishes which has resorted back to the "type advantage doesn't matter, one attack wins!" style of the older days.

Best Wishes is honestly the first time an entire saga of Pokemon turned me off. I guess they wanted to capture the idea of a "fresh start", and thus tried to ape the Kanto Style, but it just doesn't work. It feels stiff, uninspired, and unfortunate when Diamond and Pearl seemed like the writers were trying to improve.

Word. Best Wishes has been absolutely a huge step down from Diamond and Pearl. I still can't get over the massive downgrade of competence they slapped Ash with. He backslide to Top 8 against such weaksauce competition and act's like it's somehow an accomplishment worth bragging about.

Diamond and Pearl Ash was a badass, Now he's just a loser.

Busaiku

Man, you people are probably just remembering the Ash and Paul battle, and forgetting how slow and boring most of Diamond/Pearl was.

MikeMyers

Would you guys have been happier if Ash won the D&P series and the Best Wishes series had a new protagonist? I wouldn't mind it, since it seems like Black & White wanted to be more of a reboot anyway.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Would you guys have been happier if Ash won the D&P series and the Best Wishes series had a new protagonist? I wouldn't mind it, since it seems like Black & White wanted to be more of a reboot anyway.
I don't think it's needed, as I imagine a "new protagonist" will only stay fresh for a bit unless he's a HUGE departure from Ash...when in reality it'll probably be another "goofy Shonen hero", but it wouldn't bother me either.

Honestly, I'd be okay with them bringing Ash, Iris, and Cilan back for one more go, but bumping them up to DP level competence. Oh, and disband Team Rocket, but have Meowth become a permanent team member of Ash and Co. That'd open up a lot of interesting plot potential, and the Meowth Arc in Best Wishes was something I really liked.

Man, you people are probably just remembering the Ash and Paul battle, and forgetting how slow and boring most of Diamond/Pearl was.

No way.

I recently went back and caught up with the Diamond and Pearl episodes I missed (and these were the ones during that weird time when they shoved Johto Pokemon around to advertise HGSS), the dubbed version, and they were far more entertaining than anything BW has done.

Stage On

Boring? At least Diamond and Pearl had more verity thanks to the contests. On average I've found more Best wishes episodes painful to watch when I went through DP.

Watch Da Birdie

The worst Best Wishes episode was the Krokorok capture episode, "Battling the Bully", or whatever. Barely had anything to do with Krokorok.

The worst Diamond and Pearl episode was the episode based on the "Blue Bird of Happiness" with Murkrow and Misdreavus, but even that was better than Battling the Bully.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Only bad season of Diamond and Pearl was the first one.

I love the Japanese opening to it though!

Worst season of Unova too.

And Johto.

and Hoenn.

First seasons besides the original one tend to suck.

I actually get a funny feeling that the Gen VI anime is going to be even more of a clean break, possibly with a new protagonist. With the simultaneous X and Y release, the anime in the west is going to be stuck promoting Unova for months afterwards... unless an anime is made that can run concurrently with the end of Episode N. Japan moves straight from Episode N to the new anime, and the West gets an overlap between the two. Obviously it'd be weird seeing Ash in two different anime slots, so a new protagonist for X and Y's anime makes sense.

...Well, it could happen.

MikeMyers

:3

All that is left is to look for PP Ups/PP Maxes and train them to level 100. Their EVs and movesets are finished.

Nice Gyarados nicknames, mine are:

RBY: Kamehameha
-This was during my DBZ craze.
GSC: Can't Remember
-Sadly, my save file deleted it.
RSE: Madness
-Always liked that word, and it suits Gyarados angry persona well.
FRLG: Ami
-I did a Sailor Moon themed team, and Gyarados became Ami since she was the blue one.
Platinum: StMassacre
-Made this one by myself, my favourite nickname for him.
Heart Gold: Naraku
-Been rewatching the InuYasha series recently.
White 2: Max Cady
-Was watching Scorsese's remake of Cape Fear at the time.

Watch Da Birdie

I hope we get something that matches the June 20120 CoroCoro.

Remember that one? It had the types of Reshiram and Zekrom. And, like, seven other Pokemon including Pidove and Darmanitan. And New Moves, C-Gear, etc.

JazzmanZ

Remember that one? It had the types of Reshiram and Zekrom. And, like, seven other Pokemon including Pidove and Darmanitan. And New Moves, C-Gear, etc.

don't get your hopes up, for all we know we'll get 2 baby pokemon and some bonding info.

I remember how gradually that one leaked.

We kept getting Pokemon revealed throughout the day. It was marvellous.

JoeM86

I've seen those posts of his, I don't believe in any of it.
His first mistake was making it a list with zero event legendaries.

There can be a logical reason for that. I've postulated for quite a while that with X & Y, the Mythical Pokémon won't be in the game until a mandatory patch comes out. You'll need the patch to go online after say July 2014. The distribution will give the patch as well, as will trading locally.

But, that's neither here nor there. Remember my statement about rumours!

Watch Da Birdie

He claimed that there wasn't even a Z-Legendary either and it'd be DLC too...

Which actually would be pretty neat. Just have it first appear in Version 3 (or XY Sequels), and then when you connect to old X and Y, it automatically updates them with it. I kind of hope they do that now.

Also the Legendary Quartet of Playing Card/Four Saint-Beasts is something that needs to happen regardless, they sound great.

JoeM86

I still don't get why people want baby evos.

Well, for me, I always struggle to bring myself to raise Pokémon that don't evolve. It just seems like there is no goal, no accomplishment. For these Pokémon to get pre-evolved forms is a great boon for that.

I know a few people are the same

JazzmanZ

I still don't get why people want baby evos.

probably a number of things.

With baby pokemon you can get rarer and late game pokemon more early since they're weaker and pre-evolved.

The only baby pokemon that we really need is Kangashkan, I have no idea why it hasn't even happened yet.

Watch Da Birdie

The Gen IV Baby Pokemon rocked though.

Especially Munchlax and Bonsly. The only one that really bothered me in Gen IV was Chingling, Budew would have as well but Roselia also got an evolution so it took away the sting of a weak Pokemon getting a Baby.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well, for me, I always struggle to bring myself to raise Pokémon that don't evolve. It just seems like there is no goal, no accomplishment. For these Pokémon to get pre-evolved forms is a great boon for that.

I know a few people are the same
probably a number of things.

With baby pokemon you can get rarer and late game pokemon more early since they're weaker and pre-evolved.

The only baby pokemon that we really need is Kangashkan, I have no idea why it hasn't even happened yet.
The Gen IV Baby Pokemon rocked though.

Especially Munchlax and Bonsly. The only one that really bothered me in Gen IV was Chingling, Budew would have as well but Roselia also got an evolution so it took away the sting of a weak Pokemon getting a Baby.

But then they sorta made it so that the baby pokes can learn some unique moves not learnable by the adults. They should've done more like that.

Top Bottom