• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I actually sort of had a "duh" moment about Doduo and Dodrio the other day.

They do have wings, the Pokedex even references Doduo's.

It's just an artistic design to have them "wingless", because most large birds, such as emu, when they're walking around have their wings folded up right near their body and you can't tell where the wings begin from the body. Doduo is just an exaggeration of that.

Aggrotek

I actually sort of had a "duh" moment about Doduo and Dodrio the other day.

They do have wings, the Pokedex even references Doduo's.

It's just an artistic design to have them "wingless", because most large birds, such as emu, when they're walking around have their wings folded up right near their body and you can't tell where the wings begin from the body. Doduo is just an exaggeration of that.

But they can't fly though. :p

They can learn HM Fly =p.

Fly_Stad.png

I wonder why Mantine can't fly when it's a kite/fighter plane. I think it can Bounce like Gyarados though. But yeah even gliders can pass as flying type.

MikeMyers

It has appeared several times in the anime. However, it's typically in water or curled up on the ground. It has jumped out of water, but I don't actually recall it ever sustaining flight. I may be wrong though, but I did a quick search through my archives and saw nothing.

Yeah, I've seen it jump out of the water before. But never seen it fly.

Its kinda just hovering above the ground like Geodude does.

Magnus

I nabbed two extra Meloettas from my local EBGames on my Black 1 and White 1 carts. I gotta canvas all my carts to figure out which starters/legendaries I still need (I think it's a Bulbasaur and one of the ones from gen 3 or 4) and perhaps a trade could be in order! :)

Will post again later this week once I've had time to check.

Stage On

Not only is sky form shaymin often times shown flying it also ... has what are clearly wings coming out of it's head. Gyarados would have been a better example and even that could be argued.

Theres also the fact that Eevee-evols are ALWAYS clear in their typing in both appearance and naming. They went as far as to make a fish themed evee-evol but some how for flying they decided "leeets not make it clear at ALL and name it after fairy-folk!"?

Except that a Sylph is an Air elemental, and the ribbons make it looks really floaty

Kyzer

Banned
Im in the 8th gym in Black 2 and I gotta say, the little details in this game are really exactly what the series needs more of. More shit to do, more ways to train your pokemon, PWT, the pokemon selection, geez. they really went balls to the wall. that being said, im still very underwhelmed by the art direction after the masterpiece that was HG/SS

entremet

Im in the 8th gym in Black 2 and I gotta say, the little details in this game are really exactly what the series needs more of. More shit to do, more ways to train your pokemon, PWT, the pokemon selection, geez. they really went balls to the wall. that being said, im still very underwhelmed by the art direction after the masterpiece that was HG/SS

I'm missing the Gen V enhancements while playing SS. Leveling up is so easy in Gen V. It's a pain in Gen IV, plus the fact that lucky egg is a rare item on a rare Pokemon--Chansey--sucks.

zroid

Banned
It's always better to have an OT than not, so even if you make one with minimal effort, I'm sure it will go appreciated. :)

Except that a Sylph is an Air elemental, and the ribbons make it looks really floaty

Those "ribbons" are bow strings which she can move apparently. As for it's English name ... you can subscribe to the "Sylph" group if you want to but I think "sylveon=sylvan. (wiki -"Sylvan or Silvan refers to an association with the woods. Specifically, that which inhabits the wood, is made of tree materials, or comprises the forest itself. The term can also refer to a person who resides in the woods or a spirit of the wood. In mythology, the term also refers to deities or spirits of the woods.)"

Makes more sense to me and goes better with it's other translations. (All it's other names relate to "nymphs". And according to wiki, Nymphs are "a minor female nature deity typically associated with a particular location or landform./ Nymphs are personifications of the creative and fostering activities of nature, most often identified with the life-giving outflow of springs". (But hey, I play GW2 as a Sylvari so I guess that makes the connection easier.) And it's German name apparent means "fairy" and all eevee-evols seem to be very blunt with the type matching their names.

Personally, I see the "air type" movement the same as I see the Norse theory ... convoluted conjure that over looks the simplest explanation. I would think this to be a normal type before thinking that GF and Nintendo would jump through so many hoops to avoid clearly stating it's typing in both it's name and design so to spring a air-type evol. I mean, really ... there are FAR more effective designs and names they could use for a air type Eevee evol.

Azure J

I'm really new at doing this and hate being all APB about requests when I don't hang around a sub-GF enough, but I hope I'll get lucky with this. Anyone have a spare Adamant Speed Boost Blaziken hanging around? Name your price (I hope to God I have something you wnt in exchange).

PM me though, I'll catch up with you later in the day.

entremet

I'm really new at doing this and hate being all APB about requests when I don't hang around a sub-GF enough, but I hope I'll get lucky with this. Anyone have a spare Adamant Speed Boost Blaziken hanging around? Name your price (I hope to God I have something you wnt in exchange).

PM me though, I'll catch up with you later in the day.

To be honest, you'd probably get a better response in places like serebii, with dedicated trading threads.

Your request is also super specific, for a distribution Pokemon only distributed in Japan or Korea.

Hey guys. Episode 14 is up. We have a guest again. This time he brings along some ill fated luck.

Chuck: First Blood Pt. I

To answer the question of obtaining evolutionary stones before the Elite Four, yes it's possible. For a Water Stone you either need a phone call from Fisher Tully or it's 2,500 points in the Pokéathlon Dome on Wednesdays.

Then you can get a Poliwrath or Starmie!

Shame about the bad luck though, can't always have it easy on these runs.

Azure J

To be honest, you'd probably get a better response in places like serebii, with dedicated trading threads.

Your request is also super specific, for a distribution Pokemon only distributed in Japan or Korea.

Wait seriously? I really don't know all the specifics regarding Dream World and its Pokemon so thanks for this.

Aggrotek

To answer the question of obtaining evolutionary stones before the Elite Four, yes it's possible. For a Water Stone you either need a phone call from Fisher Tully or it's 2,500 points in the Pokéathlon Dome on Wednesdays.

Then you can get a Poliwrath or Starmie!

Shame about the bad luck though, can't always have it easy on these runs.

Thanks for the help. I'm glad you are so invested lol

Firestorm

Problem here is that we're doing an unlimited tournament. The rules are your standard 60 deck but also allow a 10 card side deck that lets you substitute a few cards in between matches with different opponents. I'm thinking of using the plasma storm crobat in a combo with, BC Scolipede with poison point, virbank gym and a weezing that gives +1 poison on my bench. I want to try and get a good combo going. I already plan to have some rescue energies and holon WP energy to make my scolipede have a 0 retreat cost and be able to be saved in case it gets knocked out. Same goes for crobat except it won't have the holon energy since it's not needed. I'm using Muk for the match against my friend's Chandelures, and then the gym helps me against my friend who enjoys using Rayquazas and switching them in using sky arrow bridge. I'm also planning on leaving a hypno on my bench and trying to put my friend's pokemon to sleep every turn. I feel like everything is a bit disconnected though. I'm afraid that my friends will be able to keep retreating and thus cure themselves of any statuses I inflict on them. I have two gust of winds in order to make it so they can't escape so easily. My other friends, use a dragon deck which will be hampered by muk as well, a reshiram deck which doesn't seem like it'll be too much trouble, and a metal/plant deck which is alright. I just wanted some good advice on maybe making my deck flow better because I want to win the competition hahaha but doing so without using any EX pokemon. Oh, and my side deck has some gliscors and the Lvl. X gliscor and a Victini. Gonna try and get them with that cutting turn and kill them in one go thanks to Lvl X Gliscor's ability. I just don't think that Bouffalant would fit well hahaha. I have two cleffas that I intend to use as wall. I was thinking of using a Dark Gengar to make it more of a sure thing that my cleffa doesn't wake up, but against my friend's chandelure then there's no point since he'll kill it with it's ability. That damn thing's ability is my biggest problem really. Muk is the only solution I've found for it.
Hopefully you're running 4x Rare Candy with all those Stage 2 evolutions! Is he using Eelektrik with that Rayquaza EX?

Kyzer

Banned
ive only ever seen the GIFs and I cant stand to watch the anime, like literally no matter how good any episodes content is getting past the terrible intro music these days makes me cringe and vomit.

can someone explain wtf the context is of these ampharos surprise buttsehcks GIFs

ive only ever seen the GIFs and I cant stand to watch the anime, like literally no matter how good any episodes content is getting past the terrible intro music these days makes me cringe and vomit.

can someone explain wtf the context is of these ampharos surprise buttsehcks GIFs
I think it has to do with Ampharos taking static from the Mareep in order to Thunderpunch, or something.

Or was it something else? Probably, as I haven't seen it. Maybe it's just pulling it back then.

Top Bottom