• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

After their overexposure across the past generations I couldn't have been happier with water getting pushed aside in favour of other types in Gen 5.
Plus Fire finally got some love, one of the reasons why Gen 5 is so wonderful.

So many cool and usable Bug types this gen made my day. Poison is my favorite type but Bug is a close runner-up.

RS is ten years old tomorrow in North America, guys!

So who's thinking they're working on remakes for these titles for release next year?

Honestly, I wonder, both ways. The thing is, it's perfectly possible to import Gen IIIs all the way up to Gen V, and a ton of Gen III 'Mons have been proliferated to later generations natively. On the one hand, I'd love to hear a full-symphonic-3DS version of this song, which is the Objectively Best Route Song in the franchise, but on the other hand, Gen III actually represented the nadir of sales for the franchise. I actually think they may just want to leave it behind and not contribute to making new players feel overwhelmed.

(Like that one guy in the main forum - poor dude just wants a Pikachu for his daughter and we're overwhelming him with choice, myself included.
emot-v.gif
)

TLDR, I wouldn't be surprised either way. A remake is an "obvious" route, but I can also see why they wouldn't want to be "obvious" this time around.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Honestly, I wonder, both ways. The thing is, it's perfectly possible to import Gen IIIs all the way up to Gen V, and a ton of Gen III 'Mons have been proliferated to later generations natively. On the one hand, I'd love to hear a full-symphonic-3DS version of this song, which is the Objectively Best Route Song in the franchise, but on the other hand, Gen III actually represented the nadir of sales for the franchise. I actually think they may just want to leave it behind and not contribute to making new players feel overwhelmed.

(Like that one guy in the main forum - poor dude just wants a Pikachu for his daughter and we're overwhelming him with choice, myself included.
emot-v.gif
)

TLDR, I wouldn't be surprised either way. A remake is an "obvious" route, but I can also see why they wouldn't want to be "obvious" this time around.

This is the best Route Song though

I think Hoenn is definitely the region that would look the best in full 3D. Honestly, maybe they'll just kill two birds with one stone and simultaneously develop an Emerald and Platinum Remake Pair.

MikeMyers, explain the AI's hacked Meganium to me.

I had two Nasty Plots and the Expert Belt, and my Flamethrower only did ~40% damage. Even with the Light Screen, a positive Nature, and max IVs/EVs (as shown above) I should have done at least 71%.

What gives? :<

MikeMyers

MikeMyers, explain the AI's hacked Meganium to me.

I had two Nasty Plots and the Expert Belt, and my Flamethrower only did ~40% damage. Even with the Light Screen, a positive Nature, and max IVs/EVs (as shown above) I should have done at least 71%.

What gives? :<

I threw Blue's Raticate in front of Meganium to shield him from the Flamethrower.

R.I.P Raticate.

I threw Blue's Raticate in front of Meganium to shield him from the Flamethrower.

R.I.P Raticate.

That's better than any explanation I could come up with.

R.I.P. Raticate.

A retry without crazy grass Pokémon in the way yielded better results. The computer has no idea how to handle a Zoroark disguised as a Dragonite.

DZi26PC.jpg

Maybe. If it had one, I must have completely missed it. The game tells you any time a berry activates, and I don't remember seeing the message for it.

The second Flamethrower was a critical hit, so I have no way of knowing how much damage a second attack would have normally done. Whether berry or Raticate, I was dumbfounded for a moment at how little damage the first attack did.

javac

I bought the newly released Pokemon Magazine in the UK out of desperation, in hopes of X/Y scoops. What I got was a bloody baby magazine full of puzzles and barley any writing. It came with some badges, a poster and some stickers but...arrgghh!

£5 for 3 issues :(

Stage On

RS is ten years old tomorrow in North America, guys!

So who's thinking they're working on remakes for these titles for release next year?

I wouldn't doubt it.

Unless they do something extra crazy and combine the remake with a sequal to X and Y....

I mean can you imagain X2 and Y2 now with the Hoenn region included? That would be the bomb.

JoeM86

I wouldn't doubt it.

Unless they do something extra crazy and combine the remake with a sequal to X and Y....

I mean can you imagain X2 and Y2 now with the Hoenn region included? That would be the bomb.

I would.

Typically there's a gap of over a year between the start of a generation and the next game. In addition to that, there is a set timeline to the series and the remakes fit in with that for logical reasons of compatibility.

In other news, I recently wrote this for ONM: http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/47765/best-pokemon-episodes-from-the-tv-series/ What are your favourite episodes?

I bought the newly released Pokemon Magazine in the UK out of desperation, in hopes of X/Y scoops. What I got was a bloody baby magazine full of puzzles and barley any writing. It came with some badges, a poster and some stickers but...arrgghh!

£5 for 3 issues :(

That's what you get when you have a Pokemon magazine edited by a guy who came out and said he doesn't like Pokemon games.

I would.

Typically there's a gap of over a year between the start of a generation and the next game. In addition to that, there is a set timeline to the series and the remakes fit in with that for logical reasons of compatibility.

In other news, I recently wrote this for ONM: http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/47765/best-pokemon-episodes-from-the-tv-series/ What are your favourite episodes?

Paul vs Ash
Good Bye Butterfree
Good Bye Pikachu
Arbok and Weezing vs Pokemon Poacher
Ash vs May

Bye Bye Butterfree
The Great Race
Most of the Kanto Gym battles
(I didn't really watch much of Johto)
Berry, Berry Interesting
95% of Battle Frontier (special props to Battling the Enemy Within for being phenominally silly)
All of Lilly of the Valley except for Tobias
Meowth's Scrafty Tactics
Dancing With The Ducklett Trio
Krookodile vs. Dragonite

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
GAF, I've been analyzing the Sylveon video that Nintendo release on Valentine's day and I've discovered something.

Now, you guys might think I'm crazy, but analysis of the movements Sylveon makes, especially the ribbons, as well as the way the shadows around it interact with its body, leads me to believe that, in fact, Sylveon is 100% CG and not a real Pokemon.

What do you guys think?

GAF, I've been analyzing the Sylveon video that Nintendo release on Valentine's day and I've discovered something.

Now, you guys might think I'm crazy, but analysis of the movements Sylveon makes, especially the ribbons, as well as the way the shadows around it interact with its body, leads me to believe that, in fact, Sylveon is 100% CG and not a real Pokemon.

What do you guys think?

31QwmH4.png

Refyref

I would.

Pretty good list, I must say. I haven't watched most of the episodes, but the ones I recognized here are mostly some of what I would choose. I liked that you included a part from Chronicles.

The one and only correct choice.

What do you guys think?

Now that's just crazy talk. There are obvious shadows where there should be. And the skin above the eyes moves when it blinked. You can't do that with CG. I am positively sure that Sylveon is a 100% real Pokemon.

backlot

What do you guys think?

That digital type rumor was true after all.

I almost want to watch that Giovanni and Ash encounter.
anyway this list functions on childhood nostalgia, regardless of how much better fights may have gotten among other things these episodes immediately leap to mind as ones I fondly remember.

- Primeape goes Bananas
JELLY DONUTS ARE MY FAVOURITE! and thus Brock made me believe for many years that rice balls were crazy Japanese doughnuts, the fiend. But more importantly this episode cemented my love for Primeape who lives to rage and destroy as an unstoppable beast, and then he puts Charmander over at the end therefore beginning the run of Charmander being the most impressive of Ash's starter lineup, all of your Charizard love you owe to Primeape (okay, maybe a forest of fodder Exeggutor and Aerodactyl wing envy but Primeape got the ball rolling)
We also learn the origins of Ash's hat and hear some Professor Oak poetry, what's not to love?

- Electric Shock Showdown
Pikachu gets squashed by superior Raichu, a defeat so crushing that even Team Rocket have to root for Pikachu less they realize they'd been hounding the wrong pokemon. I'd say Pika goes on a training montage to overcome the odds but instead he just spams agility as per Brock's full proof plan. Raichu's gym shattering thunderbolt is a great visual.

- Volcanic Panic
SEISMIC TOSS INTO A VOLCANO! this episode runs on pure hype.

- Island of the giant pokemon
All that mattered when you were a kid was that the pokemon were talking, for that alone it was beloved. But robo legends are pretty neat as well.

This'll do, yeah it's all Indigo League stuff but I only saw as far as Battle Frontier anyway and my memory is sketchy beyond Orange Islands.
Actually i'll confess, May's contests were oddly enjoyable, at least compared to Ash's gym battles in that series, thunder armour? really?

diaspora

Bah, decided to add seismitoad to my team since I didn't have any water types, so I took 45 minutes to get my lv 11 Tympole to level 40.

#039 Pikachu's Goodbye: One of the few great episodes in the Indigo Saga, lots of emotion and vastly superior to the release of Butterfree, as Butterfree wasn't really part of Ash's team for that long. Pikachu was Ash's first, so it going was a big deal.

#070 Go West Young Meowth: The origin story of Meowth was really well done. One thing you'll notice with me is that I sympathise more with Team Rocket than Ash and the gang. I like them more and heartfelt stories from them are always great!

#280 A Poached Ego!: As I've already mentioned, I care for Team Rocket more than Ash and this episode got me really good. One of the very few episodes that made me shed a tear.

#465 Once More With Reeling: The Hoenn Saga is actually the only one I've watched fully and this was such a good episode to round it all off (yeah I know there's another episode but...). Ash and May finally toughing it out and coming out as equals was the best way it could've ended really.

#520 Once There Were Greenfields: Another Team Rocket focused episode. Another episode that got to me. I like Cacnea and James they went well together and it was sad to see it go.

#539 Crossing Paths: Team Rocket release episode. This one was really strong with Jessie literally breaking the Poke Ball so Dustox wouldn't come back. Amazing.

#637 Dawn of a Royal Day!: The debut of my favourite Pokemon, Togekiss! Finally and on a main characters team at that! This made me happy just because of that. The episode itself I remeber vaguely but Togekiss appearing was all I needed to see.

#685 Oshawott's Lost Scalchop!: An Oshawott focused episode. I really like Oshawott, as a character and as a Pokemon. One of the very few Unova training episodes (bear in mind I only watched until Unova Episode 37), this was a great change from the norm.

Kyzer

Banned
thank you joe for that.

i wish there was a guide that took you through the entire series from beginning to end skipping subpar episodes

and i watch the subbed version so that i can stomach it

Top Bottom