• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

ash_ag

Flying fits that though.

I suppose you mean Sylveon (assuming that we agree Holy / Aether would have nothing to do with the Flying type).

That came because of the name, right? Sylphs having been magical creatures associated with the air. I suppose there is some logic in that, but do note that Sylveon itself isn't as much associated with the 'air' part of 'sylph', as it is with the 'magical creature' part. For example, if we look at its Japanese name, Nymphs have nothing to do with the air. Basically, what we can tell about it (based on its look) is that it's supposed to be a creature inspired by fairies, rather than the wind. Also, do note the word 'sylvan', again, associated with fairy-like creatures, and the various localized names containing either the word 'nymph' or 'fairy'.

But all these are beside the point. Just look at its design; nothing about it says "Flying-type". It's coloured pink (a gross inconsistency for an Eeveelution if it was a Flying-type), none of its unconfirmed moves screams Flying type, and so far it doesn't look to actually be flying (though, surely they could be saving this bit for later). Honestly, I'm surprised fans think Game Freak would design a Flying type Eeveelution like that. It's a nice critter, but it's simply not what a Flying type Eeveelution would look like.

Sure, I suppose there is a possibility it might turn out so. In that case, however, it will be the first Eeveelution whose type you won't know just by looking at it, whose colour does not match that type, and whose conception is only roughly related to it.

I suppose you mean Sylveon (assuming that we agree Holy / Aether would have nothing to do with the Flying type).

That came because of the name, right? Sylphs having been magical creatures associated with the air. I suppose there is some logic in that, but do note that Sylveon itself isn't as much associated with the 'air' part of 'sylph', as it is with the 'magical creature' part. For example, if we look at its Japanese name, Nymphs have nothing to do with the air. Basically, what we can tell about it (based on its look) is that it's supposed to be a creature inspired by fairies, rather than the wind. Also, do note the word 'sylvan', again, associated with fairy-like creatures, and the various localized names containing either the word 'nymph' or 'fairy'.

But all these are beside the point. Just look at its design; nothing about it says "Flying-type". It's coloured pink (a gross inconsistency for an Eeveelution if it was a Flying-type), none of its unconfirmed moves screams Flying type, and so far it doesn't look to actually be flying (though, surely they could be saving this bit for later). Honestly, I'm surprised fans think Game Freak would design a Flying type Eeveelution like that. It's a nice critter, but it's simply not what a Flying type Eeveelution would look like.

Sure, I suppose there is a possibility it might turn out so. In that case, however, it will be the first Eeveelution whose type you won't know just by looking at it, whose colour does not match that type, and whose conception is only roughly related to it.

I guess there's a first time for everything, in the end. If they can go crazy with Pokémon, it's for the best.

OctoWara289

Neo Member
I guess there's a first time for everything, in the end. If they can go crazy with Pokémon, it's for the best.

I highly doubt that... A flying type Eevee would clearly look like a flying type Pokemon. I'm 99 percent confident that what we're looking at is a new type. It will most likely only be available in female form, and it fits in with the whole X and Y Chromosome DNA theories considering that it's a holy/spirit/fertility creature based on name and translations.

If it's not a new type, is it possible for Eevee to evolve in the form of a "Forme" rather than actual typing? That's another thing to consider.

I highly doubt that... A flying type Eevee would clearly look like a flying type Pokemon. I'm 99 percent confident that what we're looking at is a new type. It will most likely only be available in female form, and it fits in with the whole X and Y Chromosome DNA theories considering that it's a holy/spirit/fertility creature based on name and translations.

If it's not a new type, is it possible for Eevee to evolve in the form of a "Forme" rather than actual typing? That's another thing to consider.

I guess that you might have a point, but what if that's precisely why they went with a wild card this time? I think there's nothing stopping them from reusing a type these days.

Who knows? The only thing I'm sure is that we can throw out all assumptions when it comes to Pokémon these days. Not with all this form mess...

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't like Aether because it sounds (since it's you know, the "ultimate element" often in fiction above the natural ones) too powerful, a Type I'd expect to see only on Legendaries. I wouldn't mind a type based on the concept, but with a different name.

I'm still booking for a Fairy-type, but "Fairy" in the old-European sense that includes a broader range of "fair folk". A Type that specializes less in offense and more on support, good-natured trickery (the various healing moves and such), and would be immune to Dark, and resist Dragon and Psychic, but weak to Bug and Poison and Ghost.

Aggrotek

I don't like Aether because it sounds (since it's you know, the "ultimate element" often in fiction above the natural ones) too powerful, a Type I'd expect to see only on Legendaries. I wouldn't mind a type based on the concept, but with a different name.

I'm still booking for a Fairy-type, but "Fairy" in the old-European sense that includes a broader range of "fair folk". A Type that specializes less in offense and more on support, good-natured trickery (the various healing moves and such), and would be immune to Dark, and resist Dragon and Psychic, but weak to Bug and Poison and Ghost.

Should be weak to Grass, Poison and idk about Ghost. Also it should be super effective against Dragon. Dragon is way OP.

Stage On

Oh look a flying type that doesn't look like a Flying type.

180px-492Shaymin-Sky.png

It's not like they haven't done it before.

Ezalc

The man himself!

bouffalant-dragons-exalted-drx-110.jpg

You could also run a Pokemon Center stadium to heal 20 on your bench each turn making his 3 damage counters turn into 2. Though if he's using Chandelure I assume he's switching between two?

Eh, three energies for an attack that only hits 120 isn't enough for how much I need to kill those damn rayquaza that my friend uses. He'll just kill bouffalant in 1 hit, but I guess as a basic pokemon that's pretty good. Great ability too.

And yes, he has a dodrio on his bench and he uses a switch. If has his whole combo set up he can switch out 2 chandelure's before dealing 80 with the last one.

Jofamo

180px-492Shaymin-Sky.png

You're missing the fact that the Eeeveelutions are both clearly named and clearly designed, based on their types. Other pokemon are irrelevent (Flying type Gyarados?).

Also, if they were going to introduce a new type, what better introduction than a new Eeveelution?

Firestorm

Eh, three energies for an attack that only hits 120 isn't enough for how much I need to kill those damn rayquaza that my friend uses. He'll just kill bouffalant in 1 hit, but I guess as a basic pokemon that's pretty good. Great ability too.

And yes, he has a dodrio on his bench and he uses a switch. If has his whole combo set up he can switch out 2 chandelure's before dealing 80 with the last one.
If you attach an Eviolite or play Aspertia City Gym, he'll need to discard 3 Fire or Lightning to KO you for one prize. You 2HKO and take two prizes. DCE + use an energy switch off someone already on the field with energy :)

OctoWara289

Neo Member
You're missing the fact that the Eeeveelutions are both clearly named and clearly designed, based on their types. Other pokemon are irrelevent (Flying type Gyarados?).

Also, if they were going to introduce a new type, what better introduction than a new Eeveelution?

Agreed. And that thing has wings for ears... Even if they aren't sprouting from its body, they are clearly nuanced...

Aggrotek

We talked in our podcast about a Fire move that could be called Roast. It would be like a Fire Spin that did more damage the longer the Pokemon stayed in battle, of course without the trapping.

ash_ag

Yeah, that is one thing to consider indeed. But is this really different from Dragon-type, anyway? There's virtually no final Dragon-type evolution that is bad in battle. An Aether-type that isn't necessarily limited to "sacred" or "legendary" species would be interesting if it gave the Dragon-type a run for its money as well.

Fairy-type would also work, of course. There are several Pokémon that could gain it too; the Clefairy family, Snubull and perhaps even Chansey.

backlot

Most Bulky Waters have lower Physical Attack, so they'd either be going for a much weaker move with a great burn chance, or a much stronger move with no secondary effect.

I makes no sense that scalding hot water would be a physical attack though. They could just lower the base power of the move and keep it special.

Firestorm

Scald is probably not going to he needed considering its already perfectly balanced in official play. Hydro Pump, Surf, Muddy Water, and Scald all see about equal use and all are best in certain situations.

Watch Da Birdie

I actually think the big thing about Sylveon isn't going to be its type (I could see it being a New Type though, and I'm hoping for something along the lines of a type Clefairy and similar Normal Pokemon could fit in), but rather its evolution method, which I bet's linked to the "Bonding" Stuff that's been thrown around.

I don't think people speculating it being Flying or Bug are that off either though, I consider both of those legitimate possibilities more than any other Type.

diaspora

I'm playing Pokemon White (first pokemon game since Crystal) and so far I'm 3 badges in with a Servine, Zebstrika, and Darumaka. Zeb is almost worse than useless with her awful defense though. Any useable water types in this game or...?

Watch Da Birdie

My ideas for Starter Types:

Chespin: Grass/Bug. Its back ends up becoming a red-spined caterpillar, while it itself becomes a cool armadillo, so it rolls up into a giant, spiked ball.
Fennekin: Fire/Ground. Its ears and tail look like cactus flowers, and they absorb heat from the sun and turns it into fire power. It also buries underground, leaving its tail out of the ground which resembles a cactus, and when birds and rodents come near to seek shelter, it pops out and eats them.
Froakie: Water/Dark. Infernape was Sun Wukong, Emboar was Romance of the Three Kingdoms General, so Froakie is Song Jiang from the Water Margin, a thief who lives in wetland. A cool, horned-frog who uses its white fluff to store stolen items in.

Tympole was a pretty good water type.

Palpitoad is my favorite Gen V Pokemon. :)

But yeah, Water-types are actually pretty sparse for once in Black and White.

I finished my team this evening! It took me exactly one week, starting with collecting and hatching the eggs and ending with training them to level 100.

This turned out to be excellent timing; I ordered the figures for Lucario, Zoroark, Gyarados, and Dragonite (to go with the Arcanine and Luxray I already had), and they were delivered today too!

Hey guys, I need some advice. I'm about to upgrade to a 3DS (still rocking a Lite) primarily to play all the DS Pokemon games while waiting for X/Y. I've tried playing White 2 on my friend's regular 3DS and it was super blurry! I looked it up and it seems like it only affects some games, but the DS Pokemon games are among them. Does the XL remedy this in any way? Did my friend just have a bad system?

Ezalc

If you attach an Eviolite or play Aspertia City Gym, he'll need to discard 3 Fire or Lightning to KO you for one prize. You 2HKO and take two prizes. DCE + use an energy switch off someone already on the field with energy :)

Problem here is that we're doing an unlimited tournament. The rules are your standard 60 deck but also allow a 10 card side deck that lets you substitute a few cards in between matches with different opponents. I'm thinking of using the plasma storm crobat in a combo with, BC Scolipede with poison point, virbank gym and a weezing that gives +1 poison on my bench. I want to try and get a good combo going. I already plan to have some rescue energies and holon WP energy to make my scolipede have a 0 retreat cost and be able to be saved in case it gets knocked out. Same goes for crobat except it won't have the holon energy since it's not needed. I'm using Muk for the match against my friend's Chandelures, and then the gym helps me against my friend who enjoys using Rayquazas and switching them in using sky arrow bridge. I'm also planning on leaving a hypno on my bench and trying to put my friend's pokemon to sleep every turn. I feel like everything is a bit disconnected though. I'm afraid that my friends will be able to keep retreating and thus cure themselves of any statuses I inflict on them. I have two gust of winds in order to make it so they can't escape so easily. My other friends, use a dragon deck which will be hampered by muk as well, a reshiram deck which doesn't seem like it'll be too much trouble, and a metal/plant deck which is alright. I just wanted some good advice on maybe making my deck flow better because I want to win the competition hahaha but doing so without using any EX pokemon. Oh, and my side deck has some gliscors and the Lvl. X gliscor and a Victini. Gonna try and get them with that cutting turn and kill them in one go thanks to Lvl X Gliscor's ability. I just don't think that Bouffalant would fit well hahaha. I have two cleffas that I intend to use as wall. I was thinking of using a Dark Gengar to make it more of a sure thing that my cleffa doesn't wake up, but against my friend's chandelure then there's no point since he'll kill it with it's ability. That damn thing's ability is my biggest problem really. Muk is the only solution I've found for it.

180px-492Shaymin-Sky.png

Not only is sky form shaymin often times shown flying it also ... has what are clearly wings coming out of it's head. Gyarados would have been a better example and even that could be argued.

Theres also the fact that Eevee-evols are ALWAYS clear in their typing in both appearance and naming. They went as far as to make a fish themed evee-evol but some how for flying they decided "leeets not make it clear at ALL and name it after fairy-folk!"?

Anyway, I'm banking on a Fairy/ Magic/ Life type. If I had to guess I would say that this is a female only eevee evolve and if that's the case then the type likely has a strong female focus. I could see a lot of (both normal and not) getting this as a second type.

And if it really is a Fairy/ Magic/ Life type then I hope said type is strong against Ghost (explains it's self really. Exorcisms, spirits and making life > ghost)/ Dragon (I love dragon types but they need to be knocked down a peg. My hope for this type is to be the balancer type so that it's retro fitted unto other types to help solve some problems. Plus, both are mystical)/ Steel (Ref to Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards).
Weak to ... Grass and poison (Grass for the same reason water is I guess. Poison because it's used to end life)
Resist Ghost/ Physic.
Immune to ... IDK, Dark?

MikeMyers

Not only is sky form shaymin often times shown flying it also ... has what are clearly wings coming out of it's head. Gyarados would have been a better example and even that could be argued.

Does Gyarados fly in the anime? I saw this on bulbapedia today:

Despite being part Flying type, the only Flying-type move it can learn is Bounce. However, it has been seen flying in the anime.

serplux

Hey guys, I need some advice. I'm about to upgrade to a 3DS (still rocking a Lite) primarily to play all the DS Pokemon games while waiting for X/Y. I've tried playing White 2 on my friend's regular 3DS and it was super blurry! I looked it up and it seems like it only affects some games, but the DS Pokemon games are among them. Does the XL remedy this in any way? Did my friend just have a bad system?

You gotta hold down Select in order to get to 1:1 pixel mode. It's pretty tiny on a regular DS, but it's good on an XL.

You gotta hold down Select in order to get to 1:1 pixel mode. It's pretty tiny on a regular DS, but it's good on an XL.

Yeah we tried it but not only did it make the screen smaller but I don't think it made it any less blurry. If it's better on an XL then I think I'll spring for that, just wanted to be sure.

JoeM86

Does Gyarados fly in the anime? I saw this on bulbapedia today:

Despite being part Flying type, the only Flying-type move it can learn is Bounce. However, it has been seen flying in the anime.

It has appeared several times in the anime. However, it's typically in water or curled up on the ground. It has jumped out of water, but I don't actually recall it ever sustaining flight. I may be wrong though, but I did a quick search through my archives and saw nothing.

Top Bottom