• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Four part plan:

1) Buy the Pikachu 3DS because it's adorable and affordable.

2) Buy Fire Emblem because it's fantastic, and wait for PMD to go on sale because it's less-than-fantastic (outside of the music and graphics).

3) Buy your camera's zoom lens after it's depreciated in price a little. My cousin waited four months to buy a wide-angle lens for his camera and the price decreased by almost 20%.

4) Revel in your material goods and leftover savings money.

Four part plan:

2) Buy Fire Emblem because it's fantastic, and wait for PMD to go on sale because it's less-than-fantastic (outside of the music and graphics).

3) Buy your camera's zoom lens after it's depreciated in price a little. My cousin waited four months to buy a wide-angle lens for his camera and the price decreased by almost 20%.

Quite unfortunate that I'm feeling minimalistic these days. It's going to be a black 3DS XL this time around!

I think I'll grab PMD from the used stuff. I've seen stuff selling for half MSRP used. (Can't find anything better around where I live.)

Sony E-mount lenses are like insanely priced if not part of a kit bundle. I think I'm going to look at eBay and third-party stuff.

Quite unfortunate that I'm feeling minimalistic these days. It's going to be a black 3DS XL this time around!

tumblr_ll4b5iUNmc1qbmjnz.gif

I assume they're gonna have a special 3DS XL for XY's release so I'm holding up until then (plus, though I LOVE Pikachu I feel that a yellow 3DS XL with a huge forward facing face just looks tacky :/)

JackHerer

So I'm pretty LTTP on this but I am almost done with a full play through of Black 2.

As someone who has played every generation of pokemon since Red and Blue came out when I was in lower school, I think Black/White 2 are the best pokemon games since Gold and Silver.

Awesome variety of wild pokemon from current and previous generations.
Pretty good story.
Amazing Post-Game content.
Challenge mode (!)

Love it. I haven't enjoyed pokemon this much in a long time.

Gregorn

As someone who has played every generation of pokemon since Red and Blue came out when I was in lower school, I think Black/White 2 are the best pokemon games since Gold and Silver.

Awesome variety of wild pokemon from current and previous generations.
Pretty good story.
Amazing Post-Game content.
Challenge mode (!)

Love it. I haven't enjoyed pokemon this much in a long time.

Completely agreed. Gen IV made me think that maybe I was growing out of Pokemon, but V brought me straight back in. I hope they can keep it up.

My playtime for White 2 just reached 200, which is a lot for me. I'm guessing some of you have a way bigger number.

JackHerer

Completely agreed. Gen IV made me think that maybe I was growing out of Pokemon, but V brought me straight back in. I hope they can keep it up.

My playtime for White 2 just reached 200, which is a lot for me. I'm guessing some of you have a way bigger number.

That's exactly how I feel playing this game. Sucked me right back into pokemon which is great. I am at 80 hours in my game. I don't think I've reached this play time for any one game in the previous generations. I haven't even started the post-game PWT. Just beat the E4 for the second time and am finishing up Black Tower.

B/W 2 have made me very excited for X and Y.

Aggrotek

I'm at 141:51 but a loooooot of my time has been spent soft resetting for shinies and eggs.

PK Gaming

Four part plan:

Why are you always right

It's like in your blood... I swear to god, one of the greatest injustices on this site is the fact that you don't have a tag :(

Stage On

Ugh, that's going to be a tough call to make, download at 12:00am midnight or wait until the next morning. Generally, I don't like the idea of game downloads on the 3DS because of them being tied to the console. Nintendo needs to hurry up and make a unified account system.

That and I refuse to pay full price for a digital copy. $40 for less function when I'll probably be able to get a physical copy for at least $5 less....

entremet

That's exactly how I feel playing this game. Sucked me right back into pokemon which is great. I am at 80 hours in my game. I don't think I've reached this play time for any one game in the previous generations. I haven't even started the post-game PWT. Just beat the E4 for the second time and am finishing up Black Tower.

B/W 2 have made me very excited for X and Y.

Such great games the Gen V games. I made the mistake of playing them before Soul Silver. Soul Silver is just so boring in comparison. Plus I think Gen 5 runs 60fps for battles and menus, which is really nice.

Jofamo

Does anyone else have any experience with these WiFi tournaments, that they can share?

This is the first one I entered, because why the hell not, I like my team and fancied some anonymous player battles.

I'm getting absolutely destroyed. I know my team has weaknesses, it's based purely on what pokémon I like personally. Snorlax, Electirvire, Drifblim, Togekiss, Honchkrow and Ludicolo.

I've fought 10 matches so far, and every single one of them has had some mix of either a shiny Thundurus/Landurus/Tornadus/Cressilia/Heatran/Virizion/Terrakion/Cobalion/insert legendary pokemon here. I know those particular legendaries are fair game, but shinies? For real? 10 in a row, different people, no joke. That can't seriously be legit, right? Some guys entire team was shiny.

I understand that these types of competitions attract the extreme hardcore players, with perfect teams and EVs and all that doodaa, but something feels off. I've won one match so far, on a lucky critical hit, but, for instance, one time, my Snorlax, with max EVs in Attack and HP, hit a Terrakion with Earthquake, powered up by a ground gem, and the fucking thing was still standing. It hadn't buffed itself at all either.

I dunno. I'm gonna keep battling because I'm trying to have fun here, despite my moaning, but I don't get how all these folk have *legit* shiny legendaries like that. Out of 1500 participants.

Edit: ffs...
0dxwzY6l.jpg

Edit 2: Beat that guy, with his shiny Ludicolo, shiny Politoad, shiny Excadrill and shiny Thundurus, and he disconnected last minute. I'm done for tonight.

JoeM86

Does anyone else have any experience with these WiFi tournaments, that they can share?

This is the first one I entered, because why the hell not, I like my team and fancied some anonymous player battles.

I'm getting absolutely destroyed. I know my team has weaknesses, it's based purely on what pokémon I like personally. Snorlax, Electirvire, Drifblim, Togekiss, Honchkrow and Ludicolo.

I've fought 10 matches so far, and every single one of them has had some mix of either a shiny Thundurus/Landurus/Tornadus/Cressilia/Heatran/Virizion/Terrakion/Cobalion/insert legendary pokemon here. I know those particular legendaries are fair game, but shinies? For real? 10 in a row, different people, no joke. That can't seriously be legit, right? Some guys entire team was shiny.

I understand that these types of competitions attract the extreme hardcore players, with perfect teams and EVs and all that doodaa, but something feels off. I've won one match so far, on a lucky critical hit, but, for instance, one time, my Snorlax, with max EVs in Attack and HP, hit a Terrakion with Earthquake, powered up by a ground gem, and the fucking thing was still standing. It hadn't buffed itself at all either.

I dunno. I'm gonna keep battling because I'm trying to have fun here, despite my moaning, but I don't get how all these folk have *legit* shiny legendaries like that. Out of 1500 participants.

0dxwzY6l.jpg

Edit 2: Beat that guy, with his shiny Ludicolo, shiny Politoad, shiny Excadrill and shiny Thundurus, and he disconnected last minute. I'm done for tonight.

With the VGC rules, people often have the exact same team with a minor variation. This is why I don't partake in the VGC rule WiFi Competitions or the VGC itself. It sucks because people lack imagination.

Shiny-wise, the people who usually partake in the VGC often use a technique known as RNG Abuse. It's using the game's random number generator with a piece of software so they can determine exactly when to commence battle to get Pokémon with IVs they want, and even them being shiny. Unfortunately, it's not trackable so TPCi have been unable to ban it. With X & Y and the 3DS not being hacked, it'll be less common.

Basically, for fun with WiFi Competitions, don't participate in the International Challenges. Participate in the others such as the recent Rotation Battle focused Winter Friendly. Unfortunately, outside of Japan, it's rare to have ones without VGC rules. Japan has had some cool ones though: Single Battles using only Kanto Pokémon. Rotation Battle using only Eevee evolutions. Christmas Cup which had no Pokémon restrictions etc. Got a list of all B2W2 WiFi Competitions here: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/wificompetitions.shtml

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No, eShop! You won't make me buy PokeDex! I am saving it for Harmoknight! Besides, why bother when you have the internet!

Well you have one but still no tag :p
Also i'm impressed with your new avatar the coloring is wonderful.

But I'm not always right.

That's probably because I didn't draw it for once. It's part of an art trade with Extollere. Where I drew him Azusa and he drew Mio for me. One of the conditions was that we'd wear what each other drew as an avatar for at least a month, which really isn't that bad. Still feels weird to have an avatar not drawn by me though...

73V3N

Banned

0dxwzY6l.jpg

Same thing happened to me, played 6 matches and 4 of them had a full team of shinies, even legendary shinies (Thundurus and Landorus and some others).

Also there was a Chansey that i poisoned + Sandstorm and none of it would damage it, is there an ability/item that can make that possible?

JazzmanZ

Same thing happened to me, played 6 matches and 4 of them had a full team of shinies, even legendary shinies (Thundurus and Landorus and some others).

Also there was a Chansey that i poisoned + Sandstorm and none of it would damage it, is there an ability/item that can make that possible?

Chansey has high HP and takes little damage from special attacks.

Leftovers would cancel out Sandstorm damage, and Natural Cure can heal the Poison when Chansey is swapped out.

I'm not sure why there was no animation though. Something sounds fishy. Magic Guard would stop the damage, but Chansey doesn't have that ability!

backlot

I know that, but that doesn't mean it should take 0 damage from toxic after 10 turns.

there was no animation showing Chansey getting damage by Sandstorm or poison.

Sounds like Magic Guard. Any Chansey with that ability would have to be hacked, though.

73V3N

Banned
Leftovers would cancel out Sandstorm damage, and Natural Cure can heal the Poison when Chansey is swapped out.

I'm not sure why there was no animation though. Something sounds fishy. Magic Guard would stop the damage, but Chansey doesn't have that ability!

Sounds like Magic Guard. Any Chansey with that ability would have to be hacked, though.

Yeah, it's so weird... thanks for the replies!

Jofamo

So does the WiFi tournament prevent hacked Pokemon from entering, like the GTS? I find it hard to believe all these shiny legendaries are legit, but then if they were hacked I feel I wouldn't be standing a chance at all. I'm at least making some dent in some of these matches.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Like Joe said, it's RNG abuse...you're not actually using any outside programs that directly interact with the game, so it can't detect it as "cheating".

They won't ban such practices because there's no solid "proof" that people with perfect IV Shinies aren't just super lucky.

The method itself is pretty complex, however...personally, even though it's more or less just as time consuming, I find actually breeding for good Pokemon, and finding Shiny Pokemon unexpectedly, to be a far greater reward.

Anyone have a spare Meloetta from the recent event that they're willing to trade? I have event Keldeo, Mew and Jirachi that I can trade for it.

Quite unfortunate that I won't have a Meloetta until a Wi-Fi event comes around as I don't have anything remotely interesting on my card, and I don't have duplicates and I am not bothering with Pokécheck these days.

backlot

Like Joe said, it's RNG abuse...you're not actually using any outside programs that directly interact with the game, so it can't detect it as "cheating".

They won't ban such practices because there's no solid "proof" that people with perfect IV Shinies aren't just super lucky.

The method itself is pretty complex, however...personally, even though it's more or less just as time consuming, I find actually breeding for good Pokemon, and finding Shiny Pokemon unexpectedly, to be a far greater reward.

RNG abuse is actually much less time consuming than regular breeding. People wouldn't bother otherwise.

Top Bottom