• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

I'm thinking about getting some kind of Modest water Pokemon and EV-leveling it. Who, and dare I do it? I might have a Piplup to breed and then import from Soul Silver, or I could easily get a Vaporeon. Anyone else? I mostly want a Surfer who can fight, and this is just as an experiment/ "fun," I don't intend to battle online. I've just never done EV leveling before and figure I might as well learn something about it while getting a good new Pokemon/ Surfer.

Wichu

I'm thinking about getting some kind of Modest water Pokemon and EV-leveling it. Who, and dare I do it? I might have a Piplup to breed and then import from Soul Silver, or I could easily get a Vaporeon. Anyone else? I mostly want a Surfer who can fight, and this is just as an experiment/ "fun," I don't intend to battle online. I've just never done EV leveling before and figure I might as well learn something about it while getting a good new Pokemon/ Surfer.

Snacks the sober sea lion
image.php
Walrein, obviously.

Starmie is really boss. Thanks to its half-Psychic typing, you get some awesome TM moves like Thunderbolt, or on a more defensive note, Recover by leveling up. Plus it's fast and powerful.

backlot

Agreed. Keep 'im away from Flying-types and you can wreck shop pretty easily.

Yeah, but Poison Heal. It gives you a free Leftovers while keeping you safe from status ailments!

It's only free leftovers if you switch in to toxic. Otherwise you're still giving up your item slot for Toxic Orb.

entremet

Why would you want a Technician Breloom when you can get a Poison Heal one?

Poison Heal + Toxic Orb + Spore + Focus Punch = WINRAR

You opened my eyes. Now to catch one. Don't have much time today due to the swarming mechanic. The last two shroomish i caught had effect spore.

Wichu

You opened my eyes. Now to catch one. Don't have much time today due to the swarming mechanic. The last two shroomish i caught had effect spore.

But insane Bullet Seed :(

Taking into account Technician, STAB, and a Choice Band, Bullet Seed has an average of nearly 270 base power (with a 1/6 chance of over 420). Couple that with 130 base Attack, and your opponent will be suffering a large amount of pain.

MikeMyers

GYARA-oh wait, you meant modest pokemon?

Well, I always like Starmie. Fast, decent SpA, great movepool.

Cheska

Man, I really want to thank you guys for recommending the Adventures manga to me. I finished up the Gold/Silver saga and it was fantastic! Completely agree on all points of it being better than the anime. I should have listened to another Gaffer though and went for the Red/Blue saga first. There were a lot of twists from those books that I was completely "WTF?" about. Eager to get going on the rest now :)

MikeMyers

Man, I really want to thank you guys for recommending the Adventures manga to me. I finished up the Gold/Silver saga and it was fantastic! Completely agree on all points of it being better than the anime. I should have listened to another Gaffer though and went for the Red/Blue saga first. There were a lot of twists from those books that I was completely "WTF?" about. Eager to get going on the rest now :)

No problem.

I was the one who brought up Adventures actually, I think I even PM'd you about it a few times. Definitely get the Red/Blue saga for sure, I prefer it over the G/S series.

PK Gaming

Smogon updated their Gyarados page, probably the only time I'll link there.

Pretty decent, I would have probably put Fire Blast in OO, for when Gyarados is used in Sun.

Getting that Gyarados analysis onsite was one of the most time consuming things i've ever done. I can actually that in if you'd like (being able to shut down Ferrothorn, Skarmory, etc counts for something)

Apparently Ash befriends one, a normal Purple one, according to the comic adaption.

You see him hanging out with one in a shot too.

That's actually really cool.

MikeMyers

How you gonna post a SM reference without referring to the #1 SM fanboy of this thread (Me)?

Getting that Gyarados analysis onsite was one of the most time consuming things i've ever done. I can actually that in if you'd like (being able to shut down Ferrothorn, Skarmory, etc counts for something)

http://honko.byethost8.com/manly_calc.html

0- SpA Life Orb Gyarados Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory in sun: 270-320 (80.83 - 95.8%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0- SpA Life Orb Gyarados Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in sun: 307-364 (87.21 - 103.4%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Remember being able to punch holes is one of the selling points to Offensive DD Gyarados (as you guys said "it has no trouble punching massive holes early- to mid-game, softening up the opponent's team to the point where another Pokemon can sweep.") and Ferrothorn and Skarmory are very common Gyarados switch-ins.

The drawback is that your main STAB Waterfall is weakened, so either Bounce or Return is left. I like Return as a +1 Life Orb Return does a lot of damage to Rotom-W, another common Gyarados switch-in. Between Earthquake and Stone Edge, I personally prefer Earthquake as I can't stand Stone Edge's miss rate...but I suppose it has its uses (fuck Kyreum-B).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yes.

The original English VA is not, however.
According to Wikipedia, Masachika Ichimura is still alive.

Yeah I heard about his English VA passing away years ago.

Hm... so I guess the purpose of the VA change was to show this isn't original Mewtwo?

Flareon won the Pokemon League.
Unova League is the best confirmed.
Nah it just shows how stupid the anime is.

Flareon never wins. At all!

Jofamo

Hm... so I guess the purpose of the VA change was to show this isn't original Mewtwo?

The VA change is strange indeed, but it seems a bit of a stretch to suggest this isn't the original Mewtwo.

What are the chances that another Mewtwo was created, went through the same life affirming revelations about cloned life and meaning, and feels protective towards Ash and Co?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There's no way they'd randomly give Mewtwo a clearly female voice though if it was the same one. This isn't a female VA pulling off a dude's voice, like the woman who does Goku and such, it's literally an adult woman voice.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
This reminds me of another debate revolving around a "returning character" in a Nintendo Franchise with the Kakusei subtitle who had an oddly feminine voice. :p

Isn't it pretty much confirmed it is the same Mewtwo as the one in the first movie and the anime?
They were vague about it being the old Mewtwo since Day 1.

All the new info we're getting points to it being a different one.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is the deep voice at the opening Genesect's? Because I thought they'd use only "simple" words as per manga.

NeonZ

They were vague about it being the old Mewtwo since Day 1.

All the new info we're getting points to it being a different one.

The trailer's narration actually suggests that it's the same one. "That legendary Pokemon finally..." It might be a fake out, but they aren't implying that it's a different one so far in spite of the obviously different voice.

Yeah I heard about his English VA passing away years ago.

I really wonder who they're going to get to voice Mewtwo in the dub version considering Phillip Bartlett passed away 12 years ago and Dan Green no longer does voicework.

If it's definitely going to be female they need to get Laura Bailey because Laura Bailey.

There's no way they'd randomly give Mewtwo a clearly female voice though if it was the same one. This isn't a female VA pulling off a dude's voice, like the woman who does Goku and such, it's literally an adult woman voice.

It's been confirmed to be the same Mewtwo by Masuda when twitter people flipped out and asked him when he was revealed. (Also by the trailer seeing as it's protecting Ash. And was made by men)

Mewtwo also had a male VA in the trailer before this.

They wanted to blind-side people with this. There's likely a reason behind this.

IMO it's to fit with the newform having what's likely a feminine new type.

Top Bottom