• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Yeah, the way Pokemon deals with encounters, such as rare encounter rate Pokemon, I can't see Chrono Trigger style encounter system. Could still happen

Most of CT's battles were pre-set though, weren't they? It would really defeat the purpose of seeking out rare Pokémon as they'd always spawn in the same place.

zroid

Banned
Pokémon is like the first example you cite when defending the continued existence of random battles in games. It's so important to how the game works.

After re-watching the trailer, I think you're probably going to skip this one. There's still long grass in the overworld, and the battle theatre is still aesthetically similar, so the random battles are probably the same as ever.

In my opinion it seems like a relatively silly thing to cause you to skip great games, though. BW2 were arguably the best in the series (and objectively the best from a mechanical standpoint), so it's a shame that you missed them.

I guess I was just hoping that maybe with it being the first main Pokemon game on a new system, that they would take it as an opportunity to cut some of the dated mechanics and refine the aspects of the games that seem to have been the same for an eternity.

I'm sure it will be a great game and I'm not ruling it out entirely yet, but there's just something about games still using random battles in 2013 that rubs me up the wrong way
Most of CT's battles were pre-set though, weren't they? It would really defeat the purpose of seeking out rare Pokémon as they'd always spawn in the same place.

Yep, they were triggered when you walked over a specific spot. Most of them were avoidable, but a few were not
Pokémon is like the first example you cite when defending the continued existence of random battles in games. It's so important to how the game works.
But why is it important? What things can be done with random battles that couldn't be done in an easier, less tedious manner?

backlot

Pokemon has the most avoidable random battles in any RPG with random battles. I don't really think it's something that needs changing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But why is it important? What things can be done with random battles that couldn't be done in an easier, less tedious manner?

Because part of the charm is the "surprise" encounters you'll get in Pokemon. Besides, "filtering" encounters are easy nowadays.

Exactly. If you don't wanna battle that's what repel is for.

Plus with the new Repel mechanic in Black and White 2, avoiding Pokémon is easier than ever before.

tumblr_mdgs2zyC1C1qf9d9no1_500.jpg

Firestorm

The random encounter rate at the very least needs to be dialed way back. Requiring Repels to sanely finish the game is pretty crappy design.

zroid

Banned
The random encounter rate at the very least needs to be dialed way back. Requiring Repels to sanely finish the game is pretty crappy design.

Mmm, that'd also make it frustrating to get encounters when you're actually trying to. More like, it'd be better if the pathways were more frequently designed to allow avoiding stepping in tall grass, or rather, give us a low encounter rate path and optional high encounter rate tiles in the same area. Kind of like light/dark grass, but extended to caves, etc.

Firestorm

Mmm, that'd also make it frustrating to get encounters when you're actually trying to. More like, it'd be better if the pathways were more frequently designed to allow avoiding stepping in tall grass, or rather, give us a low encounter rate path and optional high encounter rate tiles in the same area. Kind of like light/dark grass, but extended to caves, etc.
I'd be fine with that too. And there are ways of increasing encounters!

backlot

Is there some special way to spread PokeRus as efficiently as possible to as many Pokemon as possible, so I have a never-ending supply of it in my PC?

PokeRus will never disappear from a Pokemon while it is in the PC. You can just keep one PokeRus Pokemon in the PC and take him out to infect the rest of your party whenever. Just make sure it goes back in the PC when you're done.

Firestorm

Is there some special way to spread PokeRus as efficiently as possible to as many Pokemon as possible, so I have a never-ending supply of it in my PC?
Well, Pokerus' timer freezes when the Pokemon is in your PC so just infect one and keep that in there. You don't need to mass infect. Just keep it beside the Pokemon you want to infect in your party and do a few battles. Should be infected soon enough.

Plus with the new Repel mechanic in Black and White 2, avoiding Pokémon is easier than ever before.

I had no idea they put that in B/W 2, why didn't anyone tell me? :p

Anyway, I was thinking they could do it like Ni No Kuni or Persona 3/4.

They could give each Pokemon their own sprite on the map with a 1/8000 (or whatever the odds are) of it being a shiny. Legendary Pokemon would still be in preset positions and rare Pokemon would have a lower chance to appear.

Alternatively, they could just use 1 or 2 generic sprites for all Pokemon, like in Persona 3/4(different ones for forest/cave/water based creatures). That way it's still random what enemy you encounter but you have the option of just ignoring them and exploring instead, without being interrupted by random battles.

Or if they are going to stick with random encounters/repels, then rather than making repel last for a limited number of steps, there should simply be an option to toggle it on/off. As long as it's on you get no encounters, when it's off you get battles like normal. Same idea but you don't have to use a new one every minute

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just caught a shiny Marill. I've been playing a lot of Pokemon in the past month and this is the first shiny I've seen. 0.0

Some oldies go their entire Pokemon playing life without getting a shiny.

I think my only shinies have been the token Red Gyaradoses and one of the super common Pokemon from Pearl.

Yeah I don't really get the mechanic of repels only lasting a short time. I don't understand the gameplay reason it was made this way. Especially because the first thing I do when I can buy max repels is by like 100 and use them over and over. I wonder if there has ever been like an interview with a dev about some choices like this?

Any repel usage is probably for convenience in games like this - eliminating the encounters kills the point of the game for me.

If I'm going through an area I've caught all the pokemon in and they aren't high enough level to give decent exp. they just become an annoyance on my way to wherever I'm headed.

Boss Doggie

Or if they are going to stick with random encounters/repels, then rather than making repel last for a limited number of steps, there should simply be an option to toggle it on/off. As long as it's on you get no encounters, when it's off you get battles like normal. Same idea but you don't have to use a new one every minute

It's not like the encounter rate is terrible in the new games anyway. They improved it in Gen V.

Besides, Super Repels (not Max Repels! You save more money!) are cheap and needed to move dat economy.

JoeM86

The random encounter rate actually varies depending upon where you are. It also increases if you're running and even more if you're using a bike. It's more logical this way

Boss Doggie

The random encounter rate actually varies depending upon where you are. It also increases if you're running and even more if you're using a bike. It's more logical this way

Maybe it's just me but I think they toned it down in BW and BW2. At the very least, you can run with impunity and not have a high encounter rate, unlilke HG/SS.

Firestorm

Yes, I know that. And it's too damn high. And how is it logical that the encounter rate goes up when you're running or using a bike? Why should I walk through grass when I'm out of Repels or don't want to use one just to get through a small patch of grass (stupid hoarder mentality)?

It's a crappy gameplay decision that makes playing more of a chore than it has to be.

Yes, I know that. And it's too damn high. And how is it logical that the encounter rate goes up when you're running or using a bike? Why should I walk through grass when I'm out of Repels or don't want to use one just to get through a small patch of grass (stupid hoarder mentality)?

It's a crappy gameplay decision that makes playing more of a chore than it has to be.

If you've played HGSS it is actually explained. Noise.

Boss Doggie

Like I said, it's fixed in later generations. Also it's really doubtful you'd run out of repels, since by the time you'd be using them, you actually have enough cash to buy a surplus.

upandaway

On my BW2 replay, because I already had a team ready, I wasted all my money on repels and never came out of them for the entire playthrough, for a single step, from the first time I could buy them. It felt a bit like meditating for 30 hours.

Yup, Xenoblade and Pokemon, two of the best games ever cross-over in fanart, pretty awesome. That ink Pikachu further up the page is boss too.

entremet

I got beat up by some Grass and Ice Pokemons and decided it was time to get a Blaziken. But Speed Boost seems to be a Hidden Ability.

I have no luck with Fire types/ Life is pain.

Speed boost Blazikens are ultra rare as they were given out by distribution events in East Asia. Might be some clones out there, though.

Firestorm

If you've played HGSS it is actually explained. Noise.
I understand the story logic (well, justification more than anything). I want the gameplay justification for it. It makes playing the game less fun and adds nothing positive to the experience.

That said, I didn't realize it was fixed in newer games. Means I was tip-toeing around for nothing!

Top Bottom