• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

braves01

Banned
fo1txn.jpg

diaspora

Zekrom isn't supposed to be that hard to catch, but Virizion and Cobalion? That's.... extremely lucky. Iirc, even under best possible conditions (1 HP, sleep), the probability of catching Virizion or Cobalion with an Ultra Ball is like ~5%.

Well, at least they make for good exp.

Yeah, Virizion hopped off a cliff, I went back to town, healed my Pokemons, saved, and then caught it in one throw. I was wrong about Cobalion in one. He wasn't too bad though.

I can't decide between HP or Defense for my Swampert.

diaspora

What gets me is that it's not like Virizion and Cobalion are at the depths of a labyrinthine dungeon, but are instead put literally in the middle of the path with a sub-5% catch rate in optimal conditions.

I hope the panda is accessible early in the game.

I wish.

MiKeD

Banned
So going through my first playthrough of Black 2 now and I never thought about this in previous the games, but I'd embrace a 'Hard Mode' or whatever in this game.

I mean, just have the normal game like it is, but also add a more challenging mode where eg. All the opposing pokemon/trainers will go for the best move or try to do maximum damage and not use rest when their healthbar is full, use helping hand in a single battle or moves that "don't affect me".
Or more random trainers actually have revives, potions and stuff. Not only the Gymleaders or your rival with the occasional Hyper potion.
I know, you can have those battles online, but I'd like a real challenge again in storymode just like when I was a lil' kid I playing the 1st gen games for a 1st time.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Zekrom isn't supposed to be that hard to catch, but Virizion and Cobalion? That's.... extremely lucky. Iirc, even under best possible conditions (1 HP, sleep), the probability of catching Virizion or Cobalion with an Ultra Ball is like ~5%.

Weird, never had trouble catching them.

zroid

Banned
I'm perpetually torn between Glaceon and Umbreon. Leafeon is probably a close third.

The original three are my least favourite, actually.

Stuart444

Nice choice. Espeon was my first shiny, back in OG Silver :)

Lucky :p

I've never seen a legit (non-Red Gyarados I mean) shiny. My fiancee once ran into one luckily and my brother years ago found a shiny Entei while playing Gold in his GBA Player (the GC add-on) so I saw that pretty clearly (damn he was lucky with that, first time and all) but I've never seen a proper legit shiny :(.

Damn you RNG/odds :(

Lucky :p

I've never seen a legit (non-Red Gyarados I mean) shiny. My fiancee once ran into one luckily and my brother years ago found a shiny Entei while playing Gold in his GBA Player (the GC add-on) so I saw that pretty clearly (damn he was lucky with that, first time and all) but I've never seen a proper legit shiny :(.

Damn you RNG/odds :(

If it makes you feel any better, it doesn't exist anymore since my Silver's battery died :(

I have a feeling you'll encounter one by the time you're through with X & Y. Just keep at it.

braves01

Banned
I know eggs can give you better odds, but that seems way more tedious than even grinding a certain area for shinies.

Btw I'm really glad I caught the shiny Marill I encountered since I had no idea how rare these things were when I caught it.

entremet

I'm perpetually torn between Glaceon and Umbreon. Leafeon is probably a close third.

The original three are my least favourite, actually.

For fun's sake

Design ranking:
Espeon>Umbreon>Glaceon>Jolteon>Vaporeon>Leafeon>Flareon>Sylveon

Battle ranking:
Espeon>Jolteon (My Mewtwo Killer in the Stadium games-TWave, plus Thunderbold and Pin Missile)>Umbreon>Vaporeon>Glaceon>Leafon>Flareon

Stage On

So going through my first playthrough of Black 2 now and I never thought about this in previous the games, but I'd embrace a 'Hard Mode' or whatever in this game.

I mean, just have the normal game like it is, but also add a more challenging mode where eg. All the opposing pokemon/trainers will go for the best move or try to do maximum damage and not use rest when their healthbar is full, use helping hand in a single battle or moves that "don't affect me".
Or more random trainers actually have revives, potions and stuff. Not only the Gymleaders or your rival with the occasional Hyper potion.
I know, you can have those battles online, but I'd like a real challenge again in storymode just like when I was a lil' kid I playing the 1st gen games for a 1st time.

It does have a hard mode the problem is you need to unlock it by clearing the game first or having someone who's already beaten the game give you the key. Very very annoying.

I hope X and Y let you select hard mode right from the bat.

It does have a hard mode the problem is you need to unlock it by clearing the game first or having someone who's already beaten the game give you the key. Very very annoying.

I hope X and Y let you select hard mode right from the bat.

And perhaps, after that, allow the player to backpedal hard on their choice of difficulty.

Something about playing as Axew makes me want an Axew plushie.

Tell her to get her own Pokemons.

And BW2 especially was sort of a joke as far as difficulty goes. Marlon didn't even get to fight back, and I breezed right through the Elite Four. The only time I was ever a little worried was when I fought Colress, because my best Pokemon at the time were Crobat, Lucario, and Samurott. But since BW2 locked the vast majority of content for after the Elite Four, it would have been way too tedious to make you fight the Gym Leaders in a competitive format.

Top Bottom