• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Kind of funny that's how we got Plot Dunsparce. And how it somehow stuck out in the box art. It's the best thing they did. I loved Dunsparce.

Sometimes these Iwata Asks are great at these.

entremet

This is correct :)

Really hard to say. Gin doesn't get why a music blog would troll, but it's so out of left field. She's trying to find out where that person got it from

Speaking of DW, did they ever release the Unova starters in the DW--Contrary Serperior and Reckless Emboar?

Guys I'm kind of lost as to how this key system works for Black 2...

I'd like to be able to visit White Forest, etc, am I able to exchange these codes with other people via the internet, or does the person need to be in immediate network vicinity?

Guys I'm kind of lost as to how this key system works for Black 2...

I'd like to be able to visit White Forest, etc, am I able to exchange these codes with other people via the internet, or does the person need to be in immediate network vicinity?

As far as I know, you can only trade keys through IR (locally). So, you'll need a friend who has White 2 and lives nearby.

Meticulous secret research.

So Hydreigon only has one head, and the others are just its hands. Deino has one head, and Zweilous has two. So where did the second head come from? Is it two halves of the original head? Is it just an independent entity? What happens when it evolves? Do they combine their consciousness, or does the second head dissolve, leaving nothing but confusion and terrifying, repressed memories?

So Hydreigon only has one head, and the others are just its hands. Deino has one head, and Zweilous has two. So where did the second head come from? Is it two halves of the original head? Is it just an independent entity? What happens when it evolves? Do they combine their consciousness, or does the second head dissolve, leaving nothing but confusion and terrifying, repressed memories?

Pretty sure Hydreigon's "hands" are actually heads that just look like hands.

Pretty sure Hydreigon's "hands" are actually heads that just look like hands.

They're heads, but they don't have brains.

Yeah, the hands are actually heads, with no brains...

D:

Makes you wonder how does it feel when he loses the other head.

The motif for the line are Yamata no Orochi (mythical Japanese serpent with 8 heads), but actually giving it so many heads made it a little displeasing so they gave Hydreigon one ‘real’ head, and made its arms and wings look like it had many heads when in silhouette.
The ‘heads’ of Hydreigon’s are really hands and do not hold even the slightest bit of individual brain power.

I've seen this in two different places, but no source for the interview.
Regardless, Hydreigon has only one brain, so you still have to wonder where the other one went, and what it's like to suddenly sprout a second head, then have it disappear.

It certainly is interesting to think about.

Did one head overtake the other? Did the two minds merge together? Or could it be that a third consciousness was created and wiped out its fellow minds?

The Pokédex says the two Zweilous heads don't like each other, so the one remaining is probably happy to be rid of the other.

The motif for the line are Yamata no Orochi (mythical Japanese serpent with 8 heads), but actually giving it so many heads made it a little displeasing so they gave Hydreigon one ‘real’ head, and made its arms and wings look like it had many heads when in silhouette.
The ‘heads’ of Hydreigon’s are really hands and do not hold even the slightest bit of individual brain power.

I've seen this in two different places, but no source for the interview.
Regardless, Hydreigon has only one brain, so you still have to wonder where the other one went, and what it's like to suddenly sprout a second head, then have it disappear.

It certainly is interesting to think about.

Did one head overtake the other? Did the two minds merge together? Or could it be that a third consciousness was created and wiped out its fellow minds?

Maybe in a future PMD...

I think Zweilous are two Beatles arguing each other due to Yoko Ono.

They do remind me of them with that weird hairdo.

Salsa

420066_372897726144988_1745514018_n.png

It was a Charizard, and it used 2-3 different moves. Couldn't possibly have had a scarf.

A goddamn Blastoise just outsped my Hydreigon. I don't even see any way to check their item sets either.
I do wish every Pokemon and their mom didn't know either Focus Blast (which the AI never seems to miss with) or Earthquake.

Firestorm

It was a Charizard, and it used 2-3 different moves. Couldn't possibly have had a scarf.

A goddamn Blastoise just outsped my Hydreigon. I don't even see any way to check their item sets either.
I do wish every Pokemon and their mom didn't know either Focus Blast (which the AI never seems to miss with) or Earthquake.
Charizard is Base 100. Hydreigon is 98 Base Speed. There must be something missing in this information for Blastoise because they don't just cheat on speed to go first. What is your Hydreigon's moveset / nature / item?

My Hydreigon is Modest with max speed, 31 IV and maxed out EV. He got knocked out by a Blastoise.
Charizard knocked out my Infernape, who is Adamant with max speed IV and EV. Might be possible if Charizard is a speed-boosting nature, because Infernape only has an 8 base speed advantage. I don't know how to determine it,.

Blastoise is Base 78 speed, with a max speed of 280 [31 IV/ 252 EV/+ve nature]. Max speed of a Hydreigon is 320. I'd would think the Blastoise is scarfed as there isn't any other way I can think of.

Firestorm

My Hydreigon is Modest with max speed, 31 IV and maxed out EV. He got knocked out by a Blastoise.
Charizard knocked out my Infernape, who is Adamant with max speed IV and EV. Might be possible if Charizard is a speed-boosting nature, because Infernape only has an 8 base speed advantage. I don't know how to determine it,.
Yeah, Timid/Jolly/etc. Charizard beats your Infernape. Blastoise has to have had some other modifier.

Charizard w/ +Spd Nature and max Spd EVs ends up with 328 Speed.
Infernape w/ neutral Spd Nature and max Spd EVs ends up with 315 Speed.

Blastoise can only get a max of 280 Speed.
Your Modest Hydreigon will always outrun it at 295 Speed unless the Blastoise is running Choice Scarf.

Stage On

Sounds silly fake. Just the title sounds like a bad idea.

And it really sounds like hopeful wishing that B'z will do a Pokemon OP.

Gotta be fake. If they where going to replace Ash they would at least take him out on a high note. If he had actually won the league for once or something I could believe it thought.

Is anyone able to trade me either a female dreamworld eevee or female dreamworld poliwag? I'd be very grateful!

Edit: I've got some lvl 1 Togepi w/ nasty plot or chimchar w/blaze kick if you'd like either in the trade.

Probably because if he did accomplish anything, the show's good as done without a reboot.

I don't know why they're so hung up on keeping the same two protagonists (Ash and Pikachu) for every season anyway. Sure, they're instantly recognizable, but the games still manage to sell millions of copies with different protagonists and Pokemon every generation (Pikachu wasn't even in *any* of the gen V games), so there's no reason the show wouldn't still attract the same amount of viewers with a different star and different main featured Pokemon. The brand and designs are strong enough to stand on their own two feet without Ash and Pika in the mix at all times, but Nintendo seems a bit insecure of that when it comes to the show.

Zeroth

I don't know why they're so hung up on keeping the same two protagonists (Ash and Pikachu) for every season anyway. Sure, they're instantly recognizable, but the games still manage to sell millions of copies with different protagonists and Pokemon every generation (Pikachu wasn't even in *any* of the gen V games), so there's no reason the show wouldn't still attract the same amount of viewers with a different star and different main featured Pokemon. The brand and designs are strong enough to stand on their own two feet without Ash and Pika in the mix at all times, but Nintendo seems a bit insecure of that when it comes to the show.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

If you want a more detailed answer, the anime is incredibly popular regardless of the protagonists and its faulty plot/character development, so there is no point in killing it to appease to people who aren't watching the show anyway.

And yet, the show did try some new things. There were some episodes during the Hoenn arc centered around minor characters without the involvement of Ash & co., but the fact they never tried it again suggests it wasn't that much of a success.

there is no point in killing it to appease to people who aren't watching the show anyway.

I never said they should kill it, I hope it continues for many more years to come. And I am watching the show, and have been since the beginning (almost 800 episodes now). Changing the protagonist would appease people like me who are watching the show and are pretty sick of Ash and Pika at this point, and not to appease people who only watch infrequently or never because they are the ones wouldn't care either way.

I just realized that after a long time, I'm still not done with the Unova Pokédex in my White 2! I've been trying to fill up gaps before this October (that'd be very freaking late)!

Stage On

I don't know about you but if they take out Ash before he at least does one major thing like winning a league I am DONE with the anime.

Any new character would just be a rehash of learning stuff from scratch all over again which is boring since stories are supposed to progress or at least have the illusion of progression.

The one thing I hope they don't do in the new season is forcing Ash to look like he has to relearn everything again.

It'll be better if he teaches a new trainer like R/S and D/P than Iris bawking all the time.

It seems pretty hard for him to accomplish anything these days.
These days? He's never accomplished anything or worth.
I too wish they took the Precure route with the Pokemon anime.
I don't know about you but if they take out Ash before he at least does one major thing like winning a league I am DONE with the anime.

Any new character would just be a rehash of learning stuff from scratch all over again which is boring since stories are supposed to progress or at least have the illusion of progression.

I wouldn't even call it an illusion of progression at this point.

Firestorm

I don't watch the show anymore and haven't since sometime in Johto, but progression would be doing with Ash what they did with Red in the manga or games. Ash hasn't progressed at all in the past 15 years as far as I can tell from reading conversations about the anime.

Top Bottom