• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Personally, I think that the Pokémon are set like that because of developer intention - things like how difficult it is to get things to "just right" in the first place, and the stuff leading up to it, gets all thrown out when you're using a simulator.

I don't bother with simulators, even if it means not bothering with competitive at the first place.

Firestorm

Personally, I think that the Pokémon are set like that because of developer intention - things like how difficult it is to get things to "just right" in the first place, and the stuff leading up to it, gets all thrown out when you're using a simulator.

I don't bother with simulators, even if it means not bothering with competitive at the first place.
Not really. Game Freak balances the game for three different things I'd say:
  • Single Player Progression
  • Video Game Championships (high level competitive aka tournaments)
  • GBU Singles (low level competitive aka laddering)
The game is pretty damn well-balanced in this regard. When you start creating your own custom rulesets, obviously it won't work out as well which is why all these convoluted bans and stuff are done by communities like Smogon and Pokemon Online. I think it's cool that Pokemon can be played in so many ways.

The game is pretty damn well-balanced in this regard. When you start creating your own custom rulesets, obviously it won't work out as well which is why all these convoluted bans and stuff are done by communities like Smogon and Pokemon Online. I think it's cool that Pokemon can be played in so many ways.

Heh.

On the other hand, to get to the latter two, don't you need the first one done right?

It's kind of hard to try to find a battle that doesn't go screwy and not having to run by Smogon.

Firestorm

Heh.

On the other hand, to get to the latter two, don't you need the first one done right?

It's kind of hard to try to find a battle that doesn't go screwy and not having to run by Smogon.
Not really. I mean, in multiplayer it doesn't matter that Luxray is trash and Garchomp is great. They just are. In single player, Luxray is supposed to be for you to use at the beginning and evolves quickly wheres Garchomp's line is powerful and takes a while (hence near the end). Running into Gible early and Shinx late would be kinda stupid.

As far as Smogon goes, no not at all. I find myself barely using any of the resources on the site because the analyses I'd need are fairly outdated, not really by the best players, and lack context. The information itself is not always correct so I just default to using Veekun. I think in the last few months some players have gone to correct all of the incorrect information, but Veekun displays more of the relevant information (how to learn, generation learned in, etc). Smogon's great for their own rulesets, but if you want to participate in tournaments like the live Video Game Championships or the online International Challenge, it's not very helpful at all.

Firestorm

Aaand Pokemon Pre-Ordered!

K1M8boQ.png

Wichu

I still love you Luxray. No matter if we win or lose. :(

I'm glad it got a physical move more powerful than Spark in 5th gen. I should try using it again at some point; it was a core member of my Pearl in-game team. It's surprisingly slow though :/

I don't really play online to win; I play to have fun. My current 'competitive' team is a mono-Poison team that happens not to have any of Smogon's OU Pokémon on it. It's enough to destroy the PWT in White 2 and win quite often online.

I'm glad it got a physical move more powerful than Spark in 5th gen. I should try using it again at some point; it was a core member of my Pearl in-game team. It's surprisingly slow though :/

I don't really play online to win; I play to have fun. My current 'competitive' team is a mono-Poison team that happens not to have any of Smogon's OU Pokémon on it. It's enough to destroy the PWT in White 2 and win quite often online.

I use one for my online team. Wild Charge is good, but they need to give it Volt Tackle! Screw Pikachu's exclusive hold on the move.

Luxray is slow though, but if I play things right I can sometimes get a free turn from an opponent's switch, use it to Thunder Wave the incoming Pokémon, and get my Toxic Orb Guts boost all in one go.

Playing to have fun is all that matters!

Guys, I don't think this thread's going to survive E3 if we get some substantial news. We must hasten our choosing of a new subtitle!

Everyone should focus on posting in news threads on the Gaming forum. An important part of the new thread isn't finished yet. :(

entremet

You don't mind sharing the team and moveset. I've always had a soft spot for poison types. Them and ice types, which GF both hates lol. Though, it's rumored that poison is getting a nice buff.

PK Gaming

Yeah, but I was just trying to say I liked his KP avatar.

....now I kinda want to watch it, haven't seen it since I was a kid.

You should definitely do that. It holds up sooooo well.

I should really just quit singles and play VGC or at the very least, GBU.

Refyref

Stop teasing me with your way-too-low prices, Canadians! (Or anyone else with discounted prices.)

So, I think I may go digital with XY, but I'm not 100% decided yet. What about you guys?

Likely digital, because I don't feel like having to wait 3-4 weeks and paying an extra fee this time.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
At the very least, Smogon is right in creating tiers to allow all Pokemon to be used in specific levels.

I'm playing through HeartGold right now...

Wondering, though, with roamers in 4th generation, does the nature of the monster change each time that a battle is initiated or is it determined the first time that you encounter the roamer? Main reason I am asking is that I've got a synchronizer for an adamant nature that I want Entei to pick up, but without a master ball it is inevitably going to take me several battles before i successfully catch entei. If i could synchronize his nature one battle and then put a poke in the front of my party to stop his fleeing (like wobbuffet), it would definitely make things easier.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Even though I wanna wake up early tomorrow for the Nintendo Direct, and even though we're getting news tomorrow for sure, I'll be damned if I'm not staying up refreshing /vp/ for CoroCoro leaks.

It leaked this time last month, iirc.

strangedopamine, Aggrotek and I mentioned you in his latest Nuzlocke video, but neither of us could remember your name at the time. Just your avatar. I'm sorry! :(

Top Bottom