• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Can anyone tell me what the negative side of Mega Evolutions is? I'm playing Y right now (review copy) and I can't really find a reason not to Mega Evolve at the start of battle.

I don't think there's a downside apart from being limited to one Mega per party.

Is there a Mega Scrafty? Tell me and there's some pirate gold in it for ya.

-GJ-

I don't think there's a downside apart from being limited to one Mega per party.

Is there a Mega Scrafty? Tell me and there's some pirate gold in it for ya.
Thanks. Pretty strange, haha. You would think it would have a negative side to it... Why else make it optional?

And I can't really talk about the game until (I believe) the 4th of October. Even then there's a super strict embargo about everything that hasn't been shown until now til the 12th of October...

Btw don't expect to see the third forms of the starters before release. They aren't on the list of Pokémon I can include in my review and "all other Pokémon are considered spoiler" according to the NDA.

Thanks. Pretty strange, haha. You would think it would have a negative side to it... Why else make it optional?

And I can't really talk about the game until (I believe) the 4th of October. Even then there's a super strict embargo about everything that hasn't been shown until now til the 12th of October...

Btw don't expect to see the third forms of the starters before release. They aren't on the list of Pokémon I can include in my review and "all other Pokémon are considered spoiler" according to the NDA.

I'm guessing you can't even say if you like the designs or not, right? And when you say you have a list does that mean that there are Pokemon that are still to be revealed before release?

Yeah, I expected as much. A man can dream though, can't he?

Thanks for the nuggets of info, too. I'll temper my expectations accordingly. Are you at least having fun with the game?

Downside is that the Pokemon can't hold any other items in battle and there's only one in a team.

Dr. Buni

Awesome! It would be quite annoying to see the starters third forms now, only 15 days away from the release.

-GJ-

I'm guessing you can't even say if you like the designs or not, right? And when you say you have a list does that mean that there are Pokemon that are still to be revealed before release?

The NDA contains a list with what I can and can't talk about in my review. Doublade is on the list, so it's pretty up to date. I have no idea if they have plans to unveil new Pokémon, but there are no Pokémon on the list that haven't been revealed yet... They might unveil new ones though, who knows?

And just to be safe I won't say if I like 'em or not. Ask me again on the 4th of October, haha.

edit:

Are you at least having fun with the game?
My savefile says I've been playing for 18 hours and 26 minutes. I received the code yesterday.

The NDA contains a list with what I can and can't talk about in my review. Doublade is on the list, so it's pretty up to date. I have no idea if they have plans to unveil new Pokémon, but there are no Pokémon on the list that haven't been revealed yet... They might unveil new ones though, who knows?

And just to be safe I won't say if I like 'em or not. Ask me again on the 4th of October, haha.

Cheers for the info, may I ask who you work for to have got the code?

edit:

My savefile says I've been playing for 18 hours and 26 minutes. I received the code yesterday.

I see, that's cool ... I think a lot of us wanna go in raw anyway.

Can you atleast tell us if there are more than 3 skin colors you can pick for your PC? Or anything else about customization?

Delio

Can anyone tell me what the negative side of Mega Evolutions is? I'm playing Y right now (review copy) and I can't really find a reason not to Mega Evolve at the start of battle.

*Screams* ugh cant wait till you can talk a little about it.

-GJ-

Cheers for the info, may I ask who you work for to have got the code?

Sure :). I write for Game & Co. We're a games website from Holland that's a part of one of Holland's biggest newspapers. We publish in local newspapers every 2 weeks and we reach over a million (potential) readers with those articles.

I would link some of my reviews, but they are in Dutch so most of you guys can't read it anyway, haha.

Can you atleast tell us if there are more than 3 skin colors you can pick for your PC? Or anything else about customization?

Not going to risk it, sorry.

Sure :). I write for Game & Co. We're a games website from Holland that's a part of one of Holland's biggest newspapers. We publish in local newspapers every 2 weeks and we reach over a million (potential) readers with those articles.

I would link some of my reviews, but they are in Dutch so most of you guys can't read it anyway, haha.

Ah that's so cool dude! Must be great to be able to play a game like this free from the risk of spoilers!

So far, it's just that Megas can't hold items - they need to have that Mega Stone.

So you sacrifice some strategy there - no running Choice [item], no Leftovers, no etc.

Caladrius

So far, it's just that Megas can't hold items - they need to have that Mega Stone.

So you sacrifice some strategy there - no running Choice [item], no Leftovers, no etc.

This. In game, where you're unlikely to get choice items (which are probably the biggest enhancers of a pokemon's strength) there is no downside, aside from weaknesses gained by any type changes that occur during Mega evolution.

-GJ-

Yeah I figured as much. I'm not really a competitive Pokémon player so I don't often give my Pokémon items to hold other than Exp Share and Lucky Egg etc, so personally I wouldn't really see that as a downside.

Btw I'm not sure if these Pokébeach rumors have been debunked yet, but they are fake. However, there are three things on the list that are 50% true.

Delio

Yeah I figured as much. I'm not really a competitive Pokémon player so I don't often give my Pokémon items to hold other than Exp Share and Lucky Egg etc, so personally I wouldn't really see that as a downside.

Btw I'm not sure if these Pokébeach rumors have been debunked yet, but they are fake. However, there are three things on the list that are 50% true.

50%?

I wanna guess the Team Flare intro. Fairy Retypings..and the Ghost Spider ( cause I want Ghost Spider and Galvantula on my team together)

Fireblend

Banned

I think his question was more along the lines of "why should I not mega-evolve as soon as my Pokemon enters the battle? and if there's no reason, why not have it happen automatically?" which is a pretty valid question to me.

I'm honestly surprised at how much you're revealing, -GJ-, btw. Good to know that you're implicitly enjoying it!

Hmm interesting, I'm guessing they got a few of the Fairy types right, along with some of the opening and Bunnelby's evolve gaining Ground type!

-GJ-

Damn you GJ :D First ACNL and now Pokemon?! :( Always making me jealous :p

Well, I'm still buying a physical copy of X (I just need a physical copy on my shelve) and I will start from the beginning with you guys :). Where's the fun in playing a game with other people when you've already finished it?

So I just sold a ton of my old YuGiOh, Magic and Pokemon cards and made like $410...
My friend has like 500 cards in a tin box somewhere - we used to take 'em out and play sometimes...

Oh wow, I just remembered I have a ton of MTG cards somewhere, but I can't get 'em now ;_;

Caladrius

I think his question was more along the lines of "why should I not mega-evolve as soon as my Pokemon enters the battle? and if there's no reason, why not have it happen automatically?" which is a pretty valid question to me.

I'm honestly surprised at how much you're revealing, -GJ-, btw. Good to know that you're implicitly enjoying it!

Well, I'm still buying a physical copy of X (I just need a physical copy on my shelve) and I will start from the beginning with you guys :). Where's the fun in playing a game with other people when you've already finished it?

You don't have to send review copies back?

A delayed Mega-evolution could be useful if an offensive Mega-evo is given to a defensive or support pokemon, especially if the pokemon loses it's ability or gets a disadvantageous typing with its Mega-Evo. Say if a lead Thundurus (Hypothetical Mega, of course) with Prankster pulled out after doing its job you could whip it out later and slam the opponent with its Mega-evo, which could have swift swim.(don't ask me how that would work)

Also, I believe in fairy Dunsparce!

-GJ-

I posted on Serebii Forums that you had debunked the PokeBeach rumours and no-one believes you :(

Well, I can 100% say that everything on the list is made-up by whoever wrote it. I don't want you guys to believe fake information and be sad when it's not in the actual game. I don't care what some kid on Serebii thinks, haha.

You don't have to send review copies back?

It's an eShop code. And thanks for the info :). That will come in handy.

Well, I can 100% say that everything on the list is made-up by whoever wrote it. I don't want you guys to believe fake information and be sad when it's not in the actual game. I don't care what some kid on Serebii thinks, haha.

Same here, I just wanted to tell everyone that the information was fake and now I'm being jumped on for believing you!

There are a few situations where you'll be able to Mega Evolve but not want to press the button, but most of them won't happen often:

-If it's a mega evolution that changes type and it'd cause you to be at a type disadvantage.

-If it's something like Charizard where the weather's already up but your opponent has the ability to change it so you want to wait until you need to change the weather again, unless mega evolving gets you an important KO.

-Against human opponents, when using, say, Garchomp, you might want to try to trick your opponents into thinking you have a different item. This will only be practical for Pokemon that are good w/o mega evolving, though.

Basically, the reason you can time it is for those tricky situations and not because there's a hard drawback.

Firestorm

When did you get your copy? I'm not at the mailing address I gave yet (moving in tomorrow) so I'm scared x.x

There is likely no reason not to Mega Evolve right away in single player. In multiplayer, you might want to mega evolve later if your stats or ability in your current form are better suited to the matchup.

-GJ-

When did you get your copy? I'm not at the mailing address I gave yet (moving in tomorrow) so I'm scared x.x

Yesterday. Returned the NDA 2 days ago. I have a PAL copy btw.

edit: Well... A digital copy... But a European digital copy, haha.

edit 2: When you have the game, please contact me through PM. I want to test out the online modes.

Firestorm

Yesterday. Returned the NDA 2 days ago. I have a PAL copy btw.

edit: Well... A digital copy... But a European digital copy, haha.

edit 2: When you have the game, please contact me through PM. I want to test out the online modes.
Thanks! And sure thing. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and they actually get to me!

-GJ-

So, we should be expecting reviews by Oct. 4th? Or is that date a different one from the review date?

I think so. This NDA is confusing the shit out of me, haha. It has an embargo date for October 4th, and a 'spoiler and restriction' embargo date for October 12th. My guess is that reviews will go up on the 4th, but if reviewers want to talk about stuff outside of Nintendo's restrictions, they will have to wait until the 12th. I will contact Nintendo about it tomorrow, though, because I'm confused, haha.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Anyway, it seems it came from an Italian board, and the dude's saying he's gonna leak more soon, so, yeah, be careful.

I'll spoiler that pic!

URL]

This just popped up. 0.o

Where is that from then?

JoeM86

I highly recommend not posting that image. Nintendo is going to come down hard on whoever is leaking it, and places that repost it won't be safe.

I got a cease and desist for posting images Melkor posted and I didn't even sign a non-disclosure agreement. This guy is leaking from a review copy which violates a non-disclosure agreement and will almost certainly result in prosecution, and Nintendo won't hesitate taking things down.

DaBoss

Well another negative is that there may be stat changes like for Mega Garchomp, its speed is reduced. Gaining another type is also a benefit and a negative at the same time (Mega Ampharos).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I highly recommend not posting that image. Nintendo is going to come down hard on whoever is leaking it, and places that repost it won't be safe.

I got a cease and desist for posting images Melkor posted. This guy is leaking from a review copy which violates a non-disclosure agreement and will almost certainly result in prosecution.

I removed it. But would a random forum-posted get in trouble?

Anyway, the dude posted a picture of his Chespin evolving into Quiladdin. So, yeah, we might see the final form soon. 0.o

Top Bottom