• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Suairyu

Banned
It depends on what GF do with it. if they go the route of ultimate laziness and give us what would normally be a third version split into two, then heads will roll. but if they actually take the opportunity to put of something they couldn't normally do in a standard iteration I'll be ecstatic. This is a great opportunity ot mix up the standard progression formula and see if it works.
Oh I don't expect it to be a third version, more like the traditional PC expansion pack: mostly the same resources, but a new campaign and features. It's just I wouldn't consider that a million miles away from a Pokémon 'grey', just a much better version of the idea. I too am looking to the potential mix up and what it holds for the future of the franchise.
More story! More story! More story! Better characters! Bianca and Cheren we love you!

With the exception of Yellow, all their third versions so far have been "free patch" material to be honest.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh I don't expect it to be a third version, more like the traditional PC expansion pack: mostly the same resources, but a new campaign and features. It's just I wouldn't consider that a million miles away from a Pokémon 'grey', just a much better version of the idea. I too am looking to the potential mix up and what it holds for the future of the franchise.
More story! More story! More story! Better characters! Bianca and Cheren we love you!

With the exception of Yellow, all their third versions so far have been "free patch" material to be honest.

There were some pretty large advancements in Emerald and Platinum. If you look at what DLC is available for games on other systems and specifically PC, it would be more like a $20 expansion package. Both games had entire overhauls on the sprites and animations, polished numerous gameplay elements, expanded the story, and Emerald added Battle Frontier, whereas Platinum expanded upon what was in the original.

Calling all the 3rd version changes 'free patch' material is a lie, because no one patches an entire game, changing significant elements, for free.

backlot

It just kinda sucks how they've gotten into the trend of reserving the same content for all the 3rd version games. Battle Frontier should have become standard stuff for all normal version games after Emerald.

Suairyu

Banned
There were some pretty large advancements in Emerald and Platinum. If you look at what DLC is available for games on other systems and specifically PC, it would be more like a $20 expansion package. Both games had entire overhauls on the sprites and animations, polished numerous gameplay elements, expanded the story, and Emerald added Battle Tower, whereas Platinum expanded upon what was in the original.

Calling all the 3rd version changes 'free patch' material is a lie, because no one patches an entire game, changing significant elements, for free.
Didn't know about the new sprites, I was just going by "new features" summaries, so sorry if I got that wrong.

And "no one patches an entire game, changing significant elements, for free"? That couldn't be further from the truth. DLC model certainly has eaten into the practice, but you still have studios like Valve, Blizzard and CDProjekt Red doing exactly that, to name just the high-profile developers. Bioware did a ton of it in their pre-console era, too. Neverwinter Nights was supported amazingly well.

Expansion packs are typically significant new content to the effect of brand new campaigns and stories. Just tweaking the current existing set is patch material.

Sofo

I have almost no Pokemon left in my Gen IV titles, but you might be able to find a good Mean Look Pokemon on your own. You can find many high level Golbats (especially around Mt Silver), and he learns Mean Look at level 33 (which means you may have to use the move releaner). But his level will be high enough you won't have to grind him.

If you're set on Haunter, you can find them on Route 8 during the night. They're only level 19 though, so you will have to level him up quite a bit to outspeed those runners.

There are a number of other Pokemon that learn Mean Look naturally as well, like Murkrow, Jynx and Misdreavus (Misdreavus is available on Mt Silver, which means it's also very high level and good for capturing those runners).
Hey, thanks! For some reason I thought Mean Look was an ability (and thus needed breeding) instead of a move! That's because my cartridge is in Spanish and it sounded like those passive abilities, duh. >: I'll try following your advice!

I was hoping to get these legendaries in order to beat Claire. My current team is made of the 3 starters (can't really count on them, due to Dragon-type resistances), a 36 Dragonair, Pidgeot and low 30's Jirachi (got it through an event and just liked it).

I think my team needs a lot of reworking. For some reason I've always liked Psychic-type, but I'm having a hard time setting up my party. Right now I'm going to grind them up until 38~ I really hate Claire.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Didn't know about the new sprites, I was just going by "new features" summaries, so sorry if I got that wrong.

And "no one patches an entire game, changing significant elements, for free"? That couldn't be further from the truth. DLC model certainly has eaten into the practice, but you still have studios like Valve, Blizzard and CDProjekt Red doing exactly that, to name just the high-profile developers. Bioware did a ton of it in their pre-console era, too. Neverwinter Nights was supported amazingly well.

Expansion packs are typically significant new content to the effect of brand new campaigns and stories. Just tweaking the current existing set is patch material.

You undersell what the upgrades in the titles were, in respect to how they write out and polish the story, how much work is involved in changing the visuals, the additions of new gameplay elements in the Battle Tower sections, the addition of tutors, Vs. Recorder, new forms for Pokemon as well as the addition of previous generation Pokemon added, changes to the WiFi system and GTS. You bold significant new content like the changes in the stories of Emerald and Platinum were minor, and the mechanical changes, and additions added nothing. Maybe it's just 'perspective' on these issues, but I can't see how the third game in the series is not justified. They are taking another developer cycle to produce a more polished, expanded product. Are you angry that they just don't move straight to a new generation? Would you rather have none of the polish and story upgrades, and just the system upgrades to Battle Tower, and Tutors for a lesser cost?

Free content offered through things like Team Fortress 2 is a different beast. Valve, like many PC gaming communities, has a huge group of modders to leech from and are on a platform where it is seamlessly easy to apply changes (lol, console versions of PC titles). And even then, these games are offering new maps, new weapons, but they're still not on par with the changes Pokemon titles see in the 3rd editions. And it all leads back to developers trying to find ways to make more money. There's a reason why Valve continues support of the Team Fortress 2 community and why there's a new update every month. It's not to fix bugs (hilariously, vanilla TF2 two weeks ago when items servers were down ran amazing for everyone, and when items came back, lag and suffering), it's because they want to pump out content to profit on.

Pokemon does offer 'free content' as well, in respect to the game. A new official map in an RTS is basically on par with Pokemon distributed over WiFi with an exclusive move. You're giving way too much credit for free content developers offer on PC titles (and maybe confusing it for modding communities efforts), and way too little credit for Nintendo's support of Pokemon the last generation.

what? where?

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/2012/03/120302_g01.html?a001=news

Shiny, but no special moves.

Suairyu

Banned
Free content offered through things like Team Fortress 2 is a different beast. Valve, like many PC gaming communities, has a huge group of modders to leech from and are on a platform where it is seamlessly easy to apply changes (lol, console versions of PC titles). And even then, these games are offering new maps, new weapons, but they're still not on par with the changes Pokemon titles see in the 3rd editions. And it all leads back to developers trying to find ways to make more money. There's a reason why Valve continues support of the Team Fortress 2 community and why there's a new update every month. It's not to fix bugs (hilariously, vanilla TF2 two weeks ago when items servers were down ran amazing for everyone, and when items came back, lag and suffering), it's because they want to pump out content to profit on.
TF2 wasn't even an example I used, just Valve in general. All of their Source engine games get substantial free content and even completely new revisions to their engines, years after release.

CD Projekt Red release their "enhanced editions" for free, which add hours of new story, add new features and even overhaul the graphics somewhat. They consider such additions "customer support".

It isn't behavior common with the big publishers, no, but the independent developers? Very common practice. Half my games of Steam always seem to be updating with new content. PC Gaming has always been about long-tail sales, continually adding new value as time goes by to both reward current players and to further entice new customers. Even before Valve were monetising items in TF2, they found their sales jumped whenever they released a new class update for free.

"changes to the WiFi system and GTS" is most definitely free patch material, even for the big publishers. And, honestly, I'd expect things like a recorder and new areas of an arena to be added for free in most PC games, too. These are third-version things on consoles because they've never had a way of doing proper patches before, and now DLC has programmed everyone to think they aren't free-patch style material.

I'm not knocking these third versions, as they obviously add a lot of content to make the journey worth it all over again, but they absolutely are (outside of the new sprites) things I would expect for free with a PC game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TF2 wasn't even an example I used, just Valve in general. All of their Source engine games get substantial free content and even completely new revisions to their engines, years after release.

CD Projekt Red release their "enhanced editions" for free, which add hours of new story, add new features and even overhaul the graphics somewhat. They consider such additions "customer support".

It isn't behavior common with the big publishers, no, but the independent developers? Very common practice. Half my games of Steam always seem to be updating with new content. PC Gaming has always been about long-tail sales, continually adding new value as time goes by to both reward current players and to further entice new customers. Even before Valve were monetising items in TF2, they found their sales jumped whenever they released a new class update for free.

"changes to the WiFi system and GTS" is most definitely free patch material, even for the big publishers. And, honestly, I'd expect things like a recorder and new areas of an arena to be added for free in most PC games, too. These are third-version things on consoles because they've never had a way of doing proper patches before, and now DLC has programmed everyone to think they aren't free-patch style material.

I'm not knocking these third versions, as they obviously add a lot of content to make the journey worth it all over again, but they absolutely are (outside of the new sprites) things I would expect for free with a PC game.

Yes. The ability to give out free content is there, and it's great when a company like CD Projekt Red rewards owners of a game with a free download of their new edition. But it is not common place, and what is more common is downloadable content for a price, like a seven hour story arc in Fallout, more building types and scenarios in your city builder game, and eventually a GOTY edition when sales of the DLC run dry. Valve loves to give out free content because they are selling people on Steam as well, and it makes good business sense for them. I harped on Team Fortress 2 because it's the easiest for me to connect with. And it makes good business sense for them. Supporting the community and a very low cost friendly cash cow. Maybe Nintendo will start selling Shiny Pokemon like Valve sells Strange Weapons in the future. :p

Stop saying 'most PC games', because it's just not true. Most developers DO charge for their content editions. (And you continue to undersell the changes in the story, as if the games mirror each other exactly.) Most PC games don't give out a free second edition that changes the story, artwork, and add content. Most PC develoeprs DO charge for content like this. Just because there are examples of it otherwise, does not make it the rule, as it's quite far from it.

Maybe Pokemon on the 3DS will have DLC, as Nintendo has expressed interest it in with Fire Emblem. Maybe the on board memory and expansion slot will allow Nintendo to embrace patching more 'minor additions', but even if it does, the third pillar title(s) will come because they sell and they do expand beyond what would be a reasonable patch.

Suairyu

Banned
Stop saying 'most PC games', because it's just not true. Most developers DO charge for their content editions. (And you continue to undersell the changes in the story, as if the games mirror each other exactly.) Most PC games don't give out a free second edition that changes the story, artwork, and add content. Most PC develoeprs DO charge for content like this. Just because there are examples of it otherwise, does not make it the rule, as it's quite far from it.
I must be imagining half of my games getting new content without me paying, then.

As I said, publisher-funded titles? No, probably not. Especially if they exist on consoles as well. But independents, big and small? All the freaking time. It's common with the guys I buy from. And it's from those guys that I adjust my expectations. I don't tend to support the high-cost, small content DLC model.

If I'm genuinely selling the changes in Emerald and Platinum short, explain. As I said, I can only go by a list of "new features" from sites like Serebii.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hey, thanks! For some reason I thought Mean Look was an ability (and thus needed breeding) instead of a move! That's because my cartridge is in Spanish and it sounded like those passive abilities, duh. >: I'll try following your advice!

I was hoping to get these legendaries in order to beat Claire. My current team is made of the 3 starters (can't really count on them, due to Dragon-type resistances), a 36 Dragonair, Pidgeot and low 30's Jirachi (got it through an event and just liked it).

I think my team needs a lot of reworking. For some reason I've always liked Psychic-type, but I'm having a hard time setting up my party. Right now I'm going to grind them up until 38~ I really hate Claire.

Jirachi will probably be your savior. It can OHKO Gyarados with Thunder (bought in Goldenrod City), can setup Light Screen, or Reflect in the face of Kingdra / Dragonair. And if you paralyze them with Thunder (60% chance) you can flinch hax them to death with Zen Headbutt (level 35).

Otherwise, you just have to grind up your Pokemon to be fast and strong enough to muscle through. There are very few types in the game to that point that really enjoy dealing with her Pokemon.

Is this PokeGAF or some kind of PC wankfest?

zoJvn.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Whats a good moveset for hydreigon?

Depends on the team and item. Life Orb, Choice Scarf & Specs are definitely the most popular. Life Orb gives you the freedom to switch, whereas Scarf can run U-Turn to scout a bit as well and makes up for his lack of speed. Specs of course, hits really hard.

Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse are staple STABs (Dragon Pulse only being used on a set designed to setup). Fire Blast / Flamethrower is pretty common, because it hits Steel types which wall the before mentioned moves.

Surf might have more play in Doubles (and even Rock Slide, or Earthquake), especially along side a Pokemon that uses Water Absorb / Dry Skin, but it can still hit a number of singles Pokemon hard. You could use Focus Blast for more coverage, but its 70% accuracy will probably make you lose sleep. Don't use Earth Power, as your other moves give you good enough coverage and you can't have Earth Power and Dark Pulse on the same set (nothing can breed both down).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
No love for Swords Dance on Hydregion?

It's because he doesn't receive Swords Dance, or it would be viable option (105 base atk, different counters, can still utilize some Special Attacks, but no Dragon Claw).

Work Up and Charge Beam are your only methods of boosting. But Work Up it's not worth it (and Charge Beam is weak and unreliable) if you're trying to run a mixed set, because splitting Atk/SpAtk EVs will either cost you speed, or power. At that point, you might as well be using MixMence.

Hydreigon, like Lat@s, are great at blasting holes in teams though. Not much can switch into multiple Draco Meteors aside from the pink blobs. Might as well play to its strong points and don't force it to be a stat booster. Substitute can work in singles if you do want to scout, but don't use a boosting move with it (unless Hyreigon receives Nasty Plot move tutor in BW2.. hohoho)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
You know, I think Blue/Gary might be the best rival in the series (I haven't played B/W so I can't judge that yet). He's a snide jerk that beats you at every turn, right up to the championship, and he does so with a style of likeable-unlikeability that's hard to do.

Silver is really just an asshole. He steals his starter and acts like a total dick to his Pokemon. At least Blue/Gary respected his and only acted like a dick to other humans.

Brendan/May was just bland, and had massive amounts of "informed ability". "He/she is great with Pokemon and has tons of them" Then why do they only have one at the beginning of the game?
And Wally? Would've been nice had we had more than two battles.

Pearl/Barry... *sighs* No. Just no.

ffdgh

pokerus/feathers or bust

as for the rivals in bw? Bianca or whatever will annoy you a bit XD
cheren shouldn't cause an issue

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Silver is really just an asshole. He steals his starter and acts like a total dick to his Pokemon. At least Blue/Gary respected his and only acted like a dick to other humans.

Silver was tsundere uguu~

I liked his character arc, as predictable as it was. He actually changed, unlike Blue who didn't really change until after the game ended (he's awesome in GSC/HGSS.)

Pearl/Barry... *sighs* No. Just no.

Yes. Yes.

Top Bottom