• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

backlot

Prankster Sableye is 'neat', but if you need one Pokemon as a switch in to all Fighting types on a mono-team, Spiritomb has much better defenses. If Sableye is hit by a neutral move on the switch in, it'll be hit really hard in most cases.

Yeah, but taunt and will o wisp are pretty useful. And if you switch in to a fighting move it doesn't really matter.

Wiseblade

So with Meloetta officially revealed for Movie 15, That Leaves Genesect as the only Unannounced Gen V Pokémon. How do you think it'll happen? Movie 16? BW2 promotions in CoroCoro? Through the anime?

Suairyu

Banned
So with Meloetta officially revealed for Movie 15, That Leaves Genesect as the only Unannounced Gen V Pokémon. How do you think it'll happen? Movie 16? BW2 promotions in CoroCoro? Through the anime?
Do legendary Pokémon ever get revealed through non-movie episodes of the anime?

And I hadn't released Meloetta was in M15. That film is going to be so over-crowded.

edit - Oh, it's the Pikachu short. Maybe not, then.

edit2 - Best Pikachu short was the seventh one, which was tied to the third film in the US/UK. Pikachu and Pichu. The animation and artstyle in that one was such a step above regular Pokémon anime/films.

Kjellson

CBcsG.jpg

Cool!

Wiseblade

Decided to watch the first movie on a whim. I forgot how cheesy some of the lines are.

James: "I was prepared for trouble... but not for this."

ffdgh

Decided to watch the first movie on a whim. I forgot how cheesy some of the lines are.

ahh the 90s and its abundance of cheesey dialogue....

Edit: as always, "realistic" pokemon simply do not work.

It'll either share the limelight with a Gen VI Pokemon next year, or will feature in a Plasma arc in the anime at the end of the year, I reckon.

It wasn't the 90s still by the time the film got over here, was it?

I think it was in the states. After all, the second movie came out under the title Pokemon 2000.

That's like the best line in the movie, i'm chuckling just remembering it.
Now i'm stuck remembering those little parts in pikachu's vacation short where they use a pokemon to transition into the next scene, so basically my mind is full of farfetch'd.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Suairyu

Banned
Lol I'm totally imagining a gigantic "whoosh" after non-US kids saw that. XD
Cinemas actually gave out guides at the time, mostly as advertisements/information to parents. They all explained the Vikings joke.

Oh, football LOL

who cares
Most of Northern America. Absolutely nobody outside of that. At least when they're 12, anyhow.

What a bizarre mis-judge of localisation. They had to be aware how THE BIGGEST JAPANESE CARTOON MOVIE EVER was going to be watched outside of the US.

: /

Suairyu

Banned
WHY DIDN'T WE GET THOSE?
They were kinda cool. They had this "diary of Ash" thing, which were purportedly pages that had been blown away by Mewtwo's storm.

They were far too literate and filled with mythology references to have actually come from him, though, but they got really indepth about how some of the Pokémon had been designed by GameFreak by use of a "this reminds me of a [animal]/[mythological figure]" etc. etc.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What a bizarre mis-judge of localisation. They had to be aware how THE BIGGEST JAPANESE CARTOON MOVIE EVER was going to be watched outside of the US.

: /

American Box Office: $85,744,662
"Other Territories": $77,900,000

Lol Europe non-America

Suairyu

Banned
American Box Office: $85,744,662
"Other Territories": $77,900,000

Lol Europe non-America
So what you're saying the US only accounted for half of their earnings? Yeah, like I said, stupid.

I bet they would have made at least a GAZILLIONTRILLION times more had they not used that joke. True facts.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol Psyduck. Basically saying all ducks are mentally challenged (which isn't false.)

Suairyu

Banned
Mentally challenged is adorable.

And then they evolve into hyper-intelligent, kick-ass warriors who are fantastic with the ladies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
But then they aren't ducks, they's Kappas. Like when Ducklett evolves into a swan.

Sofo

Hello fellow pokefans! I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for trading? I read the OP but there's no mention about it. In any case, does anyone happen to have a Ghastly/Haunter with "Mean Look"? I'm trying to get Entei and Raikou (SoulSilver) and I'm having trouble with these meanies! I don't have much to offer, except some Eevee's and a couple of starters here and there (people who gifted them to me).

I'd really appreciate it!

ffdgh

still going with the team thing? lol

also....are jolteon's eyes and ears supposed to be purple or is it my 3ds?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hello fellow pokefans! I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for trading? I read the OP but there's no mention about it. In any case, does anyone happen to have a Ghastly/Haunter with "Mean Look"? I'm trying to get Entei and Raikou (SoulSilver) and I'm having trouble with these meanies! I don't have much to offer, except some Eevee's and a couple of starters here and there (people who gifted them to me).

I'd really appreciate it!

I have almost no Pokemon left in my Gen IV titles, but you might be able to find a good Mean Look Pokemon on your own. You can find many high level Golbats (especially around Mt Silver), and he learns Mean Look at level 33 (which means you may have to use the move releaner). But his level will be high enough you won't have to grind him.

If you're set on Haunter, you can find them on Route 8 during the night. They're only level 19 though, so you will have to level him up quite a bit to outspeed those runners.

There are a number of other Pokemon that learn Mean Look naturally as well, like Murkrow, Jynx and Misdreavus (Misdreavus is available on Mt Silver, which means it's also very high level and good for capturing those runners).

Suairyu

Banned
But they're not. They're different games.
But there's a world of difference between a third version and direct sequels.
Of course they're different, but I'd consider b&w2 to be a super-amazing alternative to a third version, not something so out the bounds of the definitions of our bet :p

I've actually moved on and accepted I don't get dibs on the prize. This is more about Andrex saying Golduck aint a duck. Which is blasphemy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's clearly not a Kappa, given the original description of Golduck in Red / Blue and Leaf Green.

Red/Blue/Leaf Green said:
Often seen swimming elegantly by lakeshores. It is often mistaken for the Japanese monster Kappa.

Wiseblade

Of course they're different, but I'd consider b&w2 to be a super-amazing alternative to a third version, not something so out the bounds of the definitions of our bet :p

I've actually moved on and accepted I don't get dibs on the prize. This is more about Andrex saying Golduck aint a duck. Which is blasphemy.

It depends on what GF do with it. if they go the route of ultimate laziness and give us what would normally be a third version split into two, then heads will roll. but if they actually take the opportunity to put of something they couldn't normally do in a standard iteration I'll be ecstatic. This is a great opportunity ot mix up the standard progression formula and see if it works.

And yes, Andrex is crazy. Besides, I thought kappa were turtle-like creatures?

Top Bottom