• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Well yeah I know to use Politoed, but all my experience is in Singles. I have no idea how to transfer my weather knowledge into a Doubles format when Doubles is its own ballgame altogether.

It's even easier because it means Swift Swim is activated on the first turn of battle for Politoed's partner. There are also a bunch of Pokemon (like Ferrothorn) that just appreciate having Rain up as well. Speaking of Ferrothorn, it's a good counter to Trick Room on Rain teams. Swift Swim is turned against you under Trick Room, but Ferrothorn not only helps to counter it, but provides useful resist that many Rain abusers lack.

One of the more fun things to use is Absorb Bulb too. I used it on Dragonite (Hurricane is 100% accurate in Rain) for a while leading with Politoed, and many use it with likes of Kingdra, Ludicolo and others that can take Politoed's Surf easily and boost their Special Attack for free. And obviously in doubles you can abuse Abilities like Water Absorb much easier, because your teammate can basically heal you while doing massive damage to the enemy.

But really, there's so many options in Rain. You should spec some matches and see what people are doing, or just try your own theories to see how they play out.

Korosenai

Hey guys, i've always been a huge fan of pokemon, but i've never really that deep into it (battling online, ev training, etc.).
So could someone link me to some good websites that explains EV training?

Firestorm

Well yeah I know to use Politoed, but all my experience is in Singles. I have no idea how to transfer my weather knowledge into a Doubles format when Doubles is its own ballgame altogether.
Pokemon is Pokemon. Try it out and see what happens!
Hey guys, i've always been a huge fan of pokemon, but i've never really that deep into it (battling online, ev training, etc.).
So could someone link me to some good websites that explains EV training?
http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_ev

I'm past Dragonspiral Tower—current team:

Samurott
Scrafty
Ferrothorn
Excadrill
Sigilyph
Darmanitan

And you know what sucks the most? I was almost considering leveling up the Larvesta I recently got on, but it hatched with a Jolly nature! This game is out to ruin my dreams, and those include having a half-decent Volcarona. Aside from that, fun times ahead.

—I've come to the conclusion that this game's music could have been so much better, had Go Ichinose been the main composer in charge. He got heavily marginalized in the music production for this game, while Shota Kageyama got the lead and made a metric-ton of tracks that range from mediocre to surprisingly cool. Maybe Go was sick, or he's just too damn lazy (which, having read an interview with him, seems possible), but Anville Town, Nacrene City, and all of the battle themes he arranged (which is now code for did based on a few random motifs that Junichi Masuda gave him to tinker with) show that he's still got it. Hitomi Sato, nonetheless, produced her best tracks yet for this game, which is more than pleasant. However, the point still stands: Shota Kageyama was most likely chosen as lead musician because his musical style is as diverse and competent as Junichi's, though the tracks do falter on a standalone basis. Go Ichinose did the battle cries, and both he and Shota worked on the interactive music stuff.

/artcritic

Props for having a Scrafty on your team, bro. (Flameshield up!) It truly is the best Pokémon of all time.

As for the music, I implore you to listen to the Emotion, Elite Four,
N's Castle, Ghetsis, Final N,
"gateway" and credits themes. Each one of these is an amazing track in its own right, and just goes to show the quality and care that was put into this game's music.

Oooooh, I just read that the tourney I'm going to next week has a ladder for "single typed" teams! Time to bust out my epic Dark team (Scrafty, Tyranitar, Krookodile, Weavile, Bisharp and Hydreigon)!

Props for having a Scrafty on your team, bro. (Flameshield up!) It truly is the best Pokémon of all time.

As for the music, I implore you to listen to the Emotion, Elite Four,
N's Castle, Ghetsis, Final N,
"gateway" and credits themes. Each one of these is an amazing track in its own right, and just goes to show the quality and care that was put into this game's music.
My pleasure.

"Unwavering Emotion" is great, "N's Castle" is what it is, "Ghetsis" is jaw-dropping, "Final N" is immaculate, "Gate" is lovely, and the credits themes are disappointing in my opinion (though, that said, the staff roll theme is different from Go Ichinose's norm, more similar to what Junichi and Go did for R/B and G/S). The soundtrack's really great, though I still prefer the soundtrack to R/S/E.

ffdgh

the one gen 3 music that i would love to hear remastered is the battle theme vs the frontier brains. soooo good

wouldn't umm....you know anything with close combat murder you?

The point of the "single-type" ladder is to create movesets that give you all of the coverage you need. For example, someone using a Fighting team would have to teach everyone a Rock- Electric- or Ice-type move in order to survive.

oh i get that part.....but you know, surprise close combat staraptor XD

It's okay. It's a pretty small tourney, so I assume that

A) I will place relatively high
B) It will be full of kids who enter the tourney using herpdep Groodons

With the advent of re-usable TMs, it has become really easy and fun to design situational movesets like the ones needed for this tournament. Win or lose, it will be a fun and enlightening experience.

I pity anyone who tries to run an Ice-type team for the special tournament. For one thing, it only has a few really good STAB moves. Plus, y'know, it's the worst type defensively, but still I hope I get the oppourtunity to face a creative opponent who managed to construct a useable ice-9 team.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I pity anyone who tries to run an Ice-type team for the special tournament. For one thing, it only has a few really good STAB moves. Plus, y'know, it's the worst type defensively, but still I hope I get the oppourtunity to face a creative opponent who managed to construct a useable ice-9 team.

You should challenge 645.

You should challenge 645.

Is his FC in the database? I can't seem to find it. If he's willing to accept my challenge, I'd be more than happy to go head-to-head with him on the stage of history. I've never fought someone who favours Ice-types, and seeing as how I've only ever used three in playthroughs (Glaceon, Mamoswine and Beartic), it would be really cool to fight someone who "gets" it.

ffdgh

ahh perfect,

abomasnow
cloyster
lapras
frostlas
weavile
mamoswine

are the only good ice types i can think of for a team

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is his FC in the database? I can't seem to find it. If he's willing to accept my challenge, I'd be more than happy to go head-to-head with him on the stage of history. I've never fought someone who favours Ice-types, and seeing as how I've only ever used three in playthroughs (Glaceon, Mamoswine and Beartic), it would be really cool to fight someone who "gets" it.

I think he still hasn't beaten B/W but he was basically the GAF competitive master when HG/SS were the newest games in town, and he used an ice-focused team.

ffdgh

about say a few hours late....well for me lol

Edit: So when does the battle subway become hard? It like its being super easy just to taunt me.

ab So when does the battle subway become hard? It like its being super easy just to taunt me.

Around the mid-30s or so. That's when simple strategies no longer suffice, and held items become crucial. You'll need to start being more (s)crafty, lest the computers get the better of you.

I'm pretty sure that GameFreak only programmed so many rounds into the Battle Subway, because I can only seem to get to around Round 34 before the computer starts Crit-, Para- and Flinch-Haxxing me to death.

If you want my advice (and I know you probably don't), find a friend to do the co-op line with (online or locally). Having two competent players coordinating team strategies makes it worlds easier.

backlot

I'm pretty sure that GameFreak only programmed so many rounds into the Battle Subway, because I can only seem to get to around Round 34 before the computer starts Crit-, Para- and Flinch-Haxxing me to death.

If you want my advice (and I know you probably don't), find a friend to do the co-op line with (online or locally). Having two competent players coordinating team strategies makes it worlds easier.

There is no online co-op for battle subway. I was pretty disappointed when I found that out. :(

ffdgh

iirc someone on gfaqs made it to 181 where sheercold hax did him in lol.

welp time to make a ferrothorn for battle subway.

Also, Smogon's Battle Subway record is 509. Crazy stuff.

Impossibru.jpg

ffdgh

I'm keeping my togekiss for flinch hax, but i have 2 spots to spare lol.
May throw in gengar to counter the annoying high jumpers and close combat.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oooooh, I just read that the tourney I'm going to next week has a ladder for "single typed" teams! Time to bust out my epic Dark team (Scrafty, Tyranitar, Krookodile, Weavile, Bisharp and Hydreigon)!

You might consider raising a Spiritomb. It gives you a precious fighting immunity. And consider Honchkrow, which can't take most powerful fighting moves, but Fighting types can't switch into Brave Bird either.

Or just run Counter-Sash on everything. ;)

backlot

You might consider raising a Spiritomb. It gives you a precious fighting immunity. And consider Honchkrow, which can't take most powerful fighting moves, but Fighting types can't switch into Brave Bird either.

Or just run Counter-Sash on everything. ;)

Or you could get a prankster Sableye. I've been wanting to try out one of those for a while now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Or you could get a prankster Sableye. I've been wanting to try out one of those for a while now.

Prankster Sableye is 'neat', but if you need one Pokemon as a switch in to all Fighting types on a mono-team, Spiritomb has much better defenses. If Sableye is hit by a neutral move on the switch in, it'll be hit really hard in most cases.

Top Bottom