• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
no, i mean in rby. encountering blue, as the champion, is amazing.

Nah, it doesn't compare. Throughout the entirety of GSC you keep hearing about this awesome kid from three years ago, then it's like you face yourself from the old games. Fighting just an NPC would never have the same effect, especially since you'd been fighting him the whole game. It was pretty much expected you'd face him again. But Red? Nobody saw that coming.

You're being contrary just to be different and get attention, like a 15 year old lol.

backlot

Just the inclusion of Kanto in G/S was a pretty big revelation for me. They mention Kanto a few times throughout the game but since the region in R/B/Y was never called by any name you had no idea what Kanto was until you actually got there.

I still remember that NPC telling me that I had taken my first step into Kanto and having no idea what that meant. It just sounded like a fruit or something.

upandaway

You guys never told me about this new Pokemon in spring thing here! I had to go find out on my own!

It was so cold outside the subscriptions page.. I can't take that kinda thing another time.

It's not an extreme opinion to say that one prefers the Blue fight to Red.

In the first case, you have Blue, set up as your rival. He's always ahead of you by just a bit, even from the start, when he picks the starter that has advantage over yours (in RB). He's always at every town before you, he beats every trainer before you, and even though you beat him in every battle, he still holds that attitude over you, that 'you'll never surpass me' attitude. Even up to entering the league, he fights you to 'test' you, even though you've been on the same path, and should've been equal to him. His presence gave you an extra reason to beat the game - asde from being the champion, you had to beat Blue completely, and KO his cocky attitude.

Finally, after getting through 4 tough battles, you expect to have gotten there before him, but noooope. There he is, waiting to bust you down from the top, as reigning Pokemon champ. And when you do it to him first, it's awesome.

In GSC, dealing with Red...after the whole surprise of Kanto being on the right side of Johto, and going through the towns again, you hear about the events of 3 years back. The player isn't being told that Red is waiting somewhere for his next challenge with you, they're told things that the player may have done in RB, with references everywhere. Newly remixed music is awesome, new teams for each Gym Leader is cool, alright. Oh, Cinnabar is essentailly gone, so cool. This and that changed, so awesome. After beating the Kanto leaders, you are directed towards Mt. Silver, because it's a place for the 'strongest' players. After plunging through the dark, you come at the top of the mountain (it looked like a cave in GS though, lol), and someone is waiting in the dark with his back turned...hey, that sprite looks familiar...

PKMN Trainer RED wants to battle!

Oh wow, it's the guy who was my PC from RB! But with a team Ash might have!

Now, the Red fight in itself is cool. His battle is different from Blue's though, not necessarily completely better in every way. For one, his appearance is like a nice surprise. You don't expect him, but it's shocking when you do see him, like an awesome bomb to the face. Blue's fight is the culmination of an entire game...he was like the climax to your story. Gold's story was intertwined with Silver, who was sort of like Blue, but with a worse attitude. Gold's relationshp with Silver was more of an outside observer, watching as Silver was eventually cured of his habits concerning treatment of Pokemon, not necessarily by the player's hand, but by Lance's, and his own desire to be a better person.

Wa there something between Gold(you) and Red? No, since Red was part of the entire nostalgia package that was Kanto. Not the equivalent of the past 'you', who fought and beat Blue years back with the team you trained for an entire game, but the character himself, 3 years older, evoking an ideal Ash team, with Pikachu, Snorlax, three evolved starters, and Espeon, for some reason (it was better in HGSS when he had the Lapras, evoking that whole Silph Co. incident). Buuut, since it's the same character you used, the fight acted like the cap on Gen 1 + 2: beat the champ as Red three years ago...beat Red, who is the de facto champ, as Gold. So it's cool like that.

So, different reasons to like both. :p

I'd put the Blue fight over the Red in terms of story value, whatever that mean in these games. But I still like the Red fight almost as much.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
psst andrex you missed out on our in depth red (gsc) vs blue (rby) discussion in irc since you refuse to join us.

I don't refuse to, it's just I'm easily distracted. Like I have booted TOR in like a week either, even though I really want to play it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Professor Beef said:
I always felt bad for Blue. Here is this former Pokemon League Champion, now having to resort to being a Gym Leader.

Pfft being a gym leader (the last one, in fact) is pretty fricking awesome no matter how you slice it.

PS_GUY

Professor Beef said:
First thing that came to mind after reading the hint was Milotic.

You know what? I think you're right! I never thought of Milotic as beautiful, but it does evolve from a "humble" Pokemon. Thanks. :)

Andrex said:
Pfft being a gym leader (the last one, in fact) is pretty fricking awesome no matter how you slice it.
Compared to being League Champ? That's a pretty big fall from grace.

upandaway said:
Milotic is not beautiful, and "humble" is one heck of an understatement for Feebas

But it's probably Milotic...
Considering how you have to evolve Feebas in the first place...

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Recently started White and chose Oshawott.
I just felt like having a strong Water type would prove to be more useful throughout the game.
Good choice?
Also, someone said that stats end up being about the same at really late levels (like 60+) whether you evolve late or not. Any truth to that?

upandaway

commonfate said:
Recently started White and chose Oshawott.
I just felt like having a strong Water type would prove to be more useful throughout the game.
Good choice?
Also, someone said that stats end up being about the same at really late levels (like 60+) whether you evolve late or not. Any truth to that?
When I chose Oshawott my second time (well, 3rd) through, I ended up finishing the game 12 hours. No trading or grinding at all, Oshawott + two others.

Oshawott did the least of the 3 but damn if he didn't completely blast me through the first half of the game. And completely unrelated to his typing, too. It was because he got this (I think it was) base-75 attack really damn early. Crazy.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I tend to find the Pokemon games harder in the first half.
I remember on Leafgreen I blasted through the whole damn game with Charizard and an HM mule. He was so high level that just his slash would obliterate everyone.
Snivy's design looked really cool though. Will definitely be using him/her for second playthrough.

upandaway

Don't count on EXP-soloing to carry you through in BW, though. It was really prevalent in the previous games but with only 3 Pokemon in BW (that's double the EXP from 6) I was still consistently underleveled even though I battled most trainers.

They did some things with the EXP calculation. Wizardy.

Anth0ny

2011-10-27-374-Missingno.jpg

cute

Emitan

Andrex said:
I don't refuse to, it's just I'm easily distracted. Like I have booted TOR in like a week either, even though I really want to play it.
The servers are down.
For you, anyway

Top Bottom