• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Ok this sounds great. So basically, I will acquire said pokemon that I wish to EV train, figure out what stats I want to invest the EV's in, and then start training that pokemon against the enemies that give those EV's.

So after I have obtained the 510 total EV's, (252 in each category plus a remainder in whatever) the pokemon i am training will level normally after that, regardless of who/what you are fighting it against? Thanks!
Yeah, you can pretty much just concentrate on just leveling after you're done doing EVs, which is why people often do EV training first, so they can just go to whoever gives out the most XP and fight against them afterwards.

For example, in HGSS, I train in Attack by fighting Goldeen. After I get my 252, and after training in some other stat, I can go back to fighting against high-leveled randoms or trainers with confidence that it won't mess up my distribution.

Boogiepop

I am having way more trouble than I should in breeding an adamant synchronizer. I really need to catch some more dittos at some point or something...
Edit:
Fuuuu
Landorus - #645 (Adamant)
HP: 22 - 23
Att: 25
Def: 29
SpA: 6 - 8
SpD: 29
Speed: 26

Keep or keep soft reseting now that I have a proper synchronizer?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I am having way more trouble than I should in breeding an adamant synchronizer. I really need to catch some more dittos at some point or something...
Edit:
Fuuuu

Landorus really wants a perfect speed stat.. and a speed boosting nature in most cases. That 101 base speed is just so critical, allowing him to outpace the tier 100.. and the likes of Salamence, Jirachi, Volcarona, and Zapdos. If you are thinking of Rock Polish though, Adamant might be the preferred nature.

backlot

Edit:
Fuuuu

That's pretty good as long as you don't need max speed.

Boogiepop

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and keep it. Not worth the excess effort required for a better one.

Also, looking over my box, I currently have:

A competitive Electivire, Rhyperior, Heatran, Weavile (Ice Punch, Brick Break, Pursuit, and Night Slash), Starmie, Gengar, Ninjask, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Togekiss, and Cloyster, plus the Landorus I just caught mentioned above.

None of them have egg moves, excluding the Weavile, to the best of my knowledge. I haven't really put much thought into meshing these together into a team, as it's been a while and some are really newly made/caught. You guys think I can make something decent with these? Also, any Pokemon I could go after that would really bring a team together (no legendaries, unless anyone is feeling REALLY generous)?

Just trying to scrape something together for the upcoming online tourney thing.

Edit: I also think I have a semi-decent Jolly Garchomp, but nothing beyond a fairly amateur breeding attempt from way back.

backlot

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and keep it. Not worth the excess effort required for a better one.

Also, looking over my box, I currently have:

A competitive Electivire, Rhyperior, Heatran, Weavile (Ice Punch, Brick Break, Pursuit, and Night Slash), Starmie, Gengar, Ninjask, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Togekiss, and Cloyster, plus the Landorus I just caught mentioned above.

None of them have egg moves, excluding the Weavile, to the best of my knowledge. I haven't really put much thought into meshing these together into a team, as it's been a while and some are really newly made/caught. You guys think I can make something decent with these? Also, any Pokemon I could go after that would really bring a team together (no legendaries, unless anyone is feeling REALLY generous)?

Just trying to scrape something together for the upcoming online tourney thing.
Does your Dragonite have Multiscale? It might be worth getting one that does. Weavile would probably like Ice Shard too which I believe is an egg move. I think the tournament is gonna be double battles though and I really know nothing about them.

Boogiepop

Does your Dragonite have Multiscale? It might be worth getting one that does. Weavile would probably like Ice Shard too which I believe is an egg move. I think the tournament is gonna be double battles though and I really know nothing about them.

Ack, yeah, it's just the old Toys R Us promo Dragonite (I think it was unique because it came at level 50?), so I guess that one's out.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Multiscale is maybe the best ability in the game, but Inner Focus Dragonite has a place in doubles because of the frequency of Fake Out. For every one Ice Shard user, you'd be more likely to come across ten Fake Out users.

backlot

Multiscale is maybe the best ability in the game, but Inner Focus Dragonite has a place in doubles because of the frequency of Fake Out. For every one Ice Shard user, you'd be more likely to come across ten Fake Out users.

So you're saying I should import my Ambipom from Diamond for this tournament?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So you're saying I should import my Ambipom from Diamond for this tournament?

Only if it fits on the team. Ambipom is one of the strongest users of Fake Out with Tech+STAB, but he's incredibly frail and not overly powerful. It could give your teammate a chance to setup a move though, like Tail Wind, or a stat up move, or just flinch a threatening Pokemon that might setup Trick Room, or a slower user of Fake Out.

A lot of Fake Out users are to help setup Trick Room, given that so many bulky Pokemon end up with it. But it's good just for damage too. Kangaskhan is a really great user of it because of Scrappy (ie; it hits Ghost), while other Pokemon like Hariyama use it the opening turn to activate its Toxic/Flame Orb and Guts.

Boogiepop

Will the tournament be doing the doubles thing of "you only get to use 4 pokemon"? If so, I may be able to rethink how I approach this...

Mostly I'm just wondering how hard it is to deal with weather without some of your own... Maybe I could try a sandstorm team?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Will the tournament be doing the doubles thing of "you only get to use 4 pokemon"? If so, I may be able to rethink how I approach this...

Mostly I'm just wondering how hard it is to deal with weather without some of your own... Maybe I could try a sandstorm team?

I've no clue on the tournament rules, but if it's standard VGC ruleset, it's bring 6 Pokemon with team preview active. Pick 4 from the 6 for a 2v2 (doubles) battle.

Weather is a dominate playstyle for a game like this, especially with the automatic weather inducers now. Sand can be a really strong weather to play (although Hail is maybe just as common and Rain ten fold).

Firestorm

As far as being generous goes:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3460642

VGC is pick 4 of 6, yes.

Speaking of which, Canadian National Championships is in Toronto, ON at the Doubletree Hilton from June 30th to July 1st. So basically I'll be in Toronto again around then. Really peeved at the whole US and Canada nats being at the same time thing :( If Toronto Poke-GAF wants to meet up I'll be there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
As far as being generous goes:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3460642

VGC is pick 4 of 6, yes.

Speaking of which, Canadian National Championships is in Toronto, ON at the Doubletree Hilton from June 30th to July 1st. So basically I'll be in Toronto again around then. Really peeved at the whole US and Canada nats being at the same time thing :( If Toronto Poke-GAF wants to meet up I'll be there.

Remind us in Toronto-Age as well.

Boogiepop

Anyone have a Dark Pulse Hydreigon I could have? I have the IVs I can use for breeding, so that shouldn't be too bad, but I don't have the egg move.

Of course, I can't trade online till this weekend, unless anyone knows how to get a laptop to act as a wifi hotspot. Damn school password system just CANNOT be bypassed with a 3DS

Anyone have a Dark Pulse Hydreigon I could have? I have the IVs I can use for breeding, so that shouldn't be too bad, but I don't have the egg move.
Of course, I can't trade online till this weekend, unless anyone knows how to get a laptop to act as a wifi hotspot. Damn school password system just CANNOT be bypassed with a 3DS

Do you have an iPhone? I do believe that there's an app for it that turns it into a WiFi hotspot. I'm not certain, though, so don't take my word for it.

backlot

Do you have an ethernet connection? I don't think you can do it if your laptop is connecting to wifi.

Boogiepop

I may be able to get a connection before too long, but does anyone have a decent Dark Pulse Deino (male of course) that I could have? Or maybe a decent starting point for making myself a competitive Excadrill?

I can probably get you one before I leave for vacation of Thursday, but seeing as I'll have to use my Dark Pulse TM in SoulSilver, I will expect something significant in return.

Boogiepop

Wanna just try again at some point tomorrow? It doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

I really hope they improve the online components with B2/W2, as it never seems to wanna work right, now that I think about it.

a.aaa-foiled-again.jpg

Hmm, maybe try turning off C-Gear on your end?

I'm trying both connections I have to connect with you, and this is pretty much the conclusion:
ZxvBp.png

Boogiepop

I think I'm gonna have to call it a night. Doesn't seem to wanna work, and it's getting a little late over here.

Maybe try again tomorrow or later in the week if you have time?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sadly, Pokecheck attaches an 'exclusive ribbon' to Pokemon you download. While it is good for breeding purposes, you can't download a flawless Thundurus and pass it off as legit at any tournament that checks legitimacy.

ffdgh

Sadly, Pokecheck attaches an 'exclusive ribbon' to Pokemon you download. While it is good for breeding purposes, you can't download a flawless Thundurus and pass it off as legit at any tournament that checks legitimacy.

have to admit tho, it makes a great fail safe.

and it got me the zorua/zoroark events i missed.

Don't worry, I have a very strict moral code when it comes to cheating. For years now, I've had the means to cheat up a storm at my fingertips, and yet I've made the concious choice not to use them.

Now I just need to keep repeating that to convince myself that I am still a good persob whilst I download this Japanese Ditto.

ffdgh

Don't worry, I have a very strict moral code when it comes to cheating. For years now, I've had the means to cheat up a storm at my fingertips, and yet I've made the concious choice not to use them.

Now I just need to keep repeating that to convince myself that I am still a good persob whilst I download this Japanese Ditto.

oh i'll add salt to your wounds...you can upload your pokemon too to check their, evs/ivs/ and hidden power at any level without an iv calculator.

Top Bottom