• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Spr_5b_644.png
->
Spr_5b_644_s.png

How could they not do white Zekrom.

If I didn't have the original for comparison, I wouldn't be able to tell if some of these dudes were shiny or not. Considering how difficult it is to catch a shiny, they should at least put SOME effort into them.

Shiny Zekrom glows green instead of blue. It's pretty cool looking I think.

BFA

I like the slightly darker (Pikachu and Zapdos in particular) far more than most shiny Pokemon. It's funny because when looking for Pokemon from RNGers it seems shinies are far more common than regular Pokemon but I don't want the Shiny ones 9/10 times XD

Too true. As an RNGer myself, I rather RNG them with unique balls instead. *hugs precious Safari Ball Magnemite*

Firestorm

Too true. As an RNGer myself, I rather RNG them with unique balls instead. *hugs precious Safari Ball Magnemite*
As a battler I don't want unique balls because it gives away that my Pokemon cannot have any egg moves =P Whimsicott comes out of something other than a Pokeball? Doesn't have Beat Up or Encore. Hydreigon? Doesn't have Dark Pulse.

MikeMyers

Beat the Elite 4 today in Yellow. Team I used was Pikachu/Gyarados/Charizard/Venusaur/Haunter/Dewgong. All leveled in their mid 40s except Venusaur at 32.

Loreali: Probably the toughest fight. Beaten by critical hit Razor Leafs and Gyarados having Thunder. Also, Ice is SE against Gyarados and Charizard in this game. O.O

Bruno: Easy fight, Haunter/Charizard against the fighters and Surf Onix to death.

Agathar: Haunter Psychied her Pokemon until her final Gengar also knew Psychic and killed me. I tried Pikachu against Golbat and still got my ass whipped. Charizard beat the final Gengar with Earthquake.

Lance: Easy until the Dragonite showed up, Dewgong/Gyarados couldn't even Ice Beam because he kept getting critical hit Thunders. I had to abuse the Revive Item to keep up with him, and eventually Dewgong got an hit on him...but Dragonite survived it! Charizard finished him off with a Slash.

Gary: I wasted all my revives so I only had Pikachu, Gyarados, and Charizard left. Gyarados took care off Sandslash, Ninetails, Alakazam, Exeggutor, and Cloyster. Knowing Jolteon was going to bring Gyarados down, I decided to use my FINAL potion to heal up Pikachu. First thing I did with Pikachu was Thunder Wave Jolteon to slow it down, but the Seismic Toss weren't doing any real damage to him. However, Pikachu had succeeded with his job of slowing down Jolteon, as he after he fainted Charizard secured a victory with Earthquake.

Beating Gary with Charizard....just like Ash Ketchem would do!

Getting a DS soon, I'll play Gen 2 with Soul Silver that way.

Loreali: Probably the toughest fight. Beaten by critical hit Razor Leafs and Gyarados having Thunder. Also, Ice is SE against Gyarados and Charizard in this game. O.O
Actually a glitch. It only does neutral damage, but still displays the "super effective" message anyway.

backlot

Rotom - #479 (Timid) None (X) Levitate: 23 / 2 / 23 / 30 / 31 / 30

Possible Hidden Power Types: Fire
Possible Hidden Power Attack Powers: 70

Rotom - #479 (Timid) None (X) Levitate: 28 / 11 / 30 / 30 / 31 / 30

Possible Hidden Power Attack Powers: 69

Rotom - #479 (Timid) None (X) Levitate: 31 / 30 / 19 / 30 / 31 / 30

Possible Hidden Power Attack Powers: 70

Which one should I use. I just can't decide.

Beat the Elite 4 today in Yellow. Team I used was Pikachu/Gyarados/Charizard/Venusaur/Haunter/Dewgong. All leveled in their mid 40s except Venusaur at 32.

Wait, you beat the Elite 4 using pokemon under level 50? Under level 60 is one thing but under 50...that's pretty nuts.
I always thought Yellow had the hardest Elite 4 from any game.

Boogiepop

Would running my protection as WPA2 vs WEP make a difference? Unfortunately I have to use Connectify to create a WiFi hotspot that I can use, so that's just about the only thing I can check/tweak.

I'm not sure, currently I'm running on an unprotected wireless connection, different from the 2 I used yesterday.

Currently seeing if there's anything I'm missing, because it sometimes works with some people I trade with, and sometimes it doesn't.

Boogiepop

It actually looks like the program won't let me change it to anything but WPA2 for some reason. Not sure, but maybe that's somehow causing the problem?

Busaiku

Wait, you beat the Elite 4 using pokemon under level 50? Under level 60 is one thing but under 50...that's pretty nuts.

I think it was the same with me.
When I did Red/Blue, my team was like 70 by the time I got to the Elite 4, but with Yellow I just rushed to get to them.

I don't remember it being harder at all.

Firestorm

Started Elite Four at LV48 on my final run of Pokemon Red when I was 12 or so. I know because I kept Charmander unevolved until he learned Fire Spin (veekun says LV49) which he did after beating Lorelei. I had a Charizard by Lance iirc. I always keep my Pokemon pretty evenly levelled so they must have all been around that. Charizard, Dragonite, Butterfree, Raichu, Blastoise, Venusaur in Hall of Fame.

I think it was the same with me.
When I did Red/Blue, my team was like 70 by the time I got to the Elite 4, but with Yellow I just rushed to get to them.

I don't remember it being harder at all.

Started Elite Four at LV48 on my final run of Pokemon Red when I was 12 or so. I know because I kept Charmander unevolved until he learned Fire Spin (veekun says LV49) which he did after beating Lorelei. I had a Charizard by Lance iirc. I always keep my Pokemon pretty evenly levelled so they must have all been around that. Charizard, Dragonite, Butterfree, Raichu, Blastoise, Venusaur in Hall of Fame.

Oh wow maybe it was just me :p Gen 2 onwards had easy Elite 4s, or at least non that required significant post 8 badges grinding to beat. Perhaps I'll play Yellow again and see if it was really as difficult as I remember it.

NEO0MJ

Hey, PokeGAF, playing through White here. Kind of in a bind. Should I use Darumaka or stick with Pansear?

Go with Darumaka, it evolves to Darmanitan, one of the meanest pokemon in the game. Just make sure to pick one with Sheer force and if possible admant/jolly nature.

frostbyte

I would say Darumaka, because the monkeys are not really good.

Go with Darumaka, it evolves to Darmanitan, one of the meanest pokemon in the game. Just make sure to pick one with Sheer force and if possible admant/jolly nature.

Darumaka, easily. Darmanitan is awesome, the monkeys are not.

ooh, thanks. I was leaning towards Darumaka.

Also, in general, what's the best B/W fire exclusive?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's a three way tie between Volcarona, Darmanitan and Chandelure IMO.

Chandelure is 'the best', if it ever receives its Dream World ability. Otherwise Volcarona is definitely the most dangerous because it has probably the second best setup move in the game with Quiver Dance, and the stats to abuse it.

Darmanitan suffers like a lot of pure Fire types and his 95 base speed generally lets down my favorite set with Sheer Force Life Orb+Flare Blitz. I do want to give the Substitute set a try though, because it might help a bunch with switch-ins, but it does mean giving up 'free' Life Orb use. Darmanitan is also the best to use in game because of his sheer power (no pun intended) and the fact that Chandelure and Volcarona take so long to evolve.

Don't forget about Emboar either (or Victini with V-Create released now). While it's generally outclassed by its Fighting / Fire counterparts, it's a pretty nice Pokemon with an incredible movepool. If it does ever receive Reckless as an ability, it has the movepool to use it (Flare Blitz, Head Smash, Wild Charge). And his Shiny sprite is awesome.

ovVa6.png

Basically, every Fire Pokemon outside of poor Heatmor is usable this generation.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Maractus' biggest is actually its movepool. Sure, its stats are garbage as well (75/67/67 defenses), but the only non-Grass type special move it has to use its decent SpAtk stat is Hidden Power.

Top Bottom