• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Nice job on the tournament scrafty, I was on edge of my seat all day yesterday reading the updates. You bastards forced me into buying white, hadn't played Pokemon in ages. Just beat iris. Fun as hell so far.

Thanks, man. I didn't know that I could be a source of excitement for people!

I'm also glad that you made the jump to White! Would you mind posting your current team?

Emitan

Does anyone else here write pokemon fanfics?

y5kDi.gif

Suairyu

Banned
This thread is why I never want Pokémon DLC. Like, ever. Worse: I just know there'd be as many people defending it as there are people defending the on-disc DLC in that thread.

Suairyu

Banned
Scrafty I don't get the reference I'm behind on cartoons. All I know these days is MLP and I really miss Powerpuff Girls.

edit: there's a 100 post per page option?
It's the only way. GAF-Prime.

Warning: makes the GIF threads difficult.

Makes every other thread better so fair trade.

Scrafty I don't get the reference I'm behind on cartoons. All I know these days is MLP and I really miss Powerpuff Girls.

You should watch Regular Show. Really off-the-wall, but it's probably one of the best cartoons I know, and I have every episode of Animaniacs on DVD.

Anyways, the important thing is I'm agreeing with you.

minus

Banned
I refuse to use minus because the first time I used it, it must have been getting hammered and the load times were terrible. But mostly, because there is a GAF account devoted solely to promoting it.

And I already have my Imgur plugin (right click to upload), so I'm too lazy to change.

Hi, very sorry to hear that. Hope you can give http://Minus.com a try again next time. Have been on GAF for long time lurking and many friends on here as well, thought I'd drop by answer questions about Minus after someone shared it. Anyways, we do have plugins as well for Chrome/Firefox, you can check out on http://minus.com/pages/tools

Thanks

Wiseblade

Hi, very sorry to hear that. Hope you can give http://Minus.com a try again next time. Have been on GAF for long time lurking and many friends on here as well, thought I'd drop by answer questions about Minus after someone shared it. Anyways, we do have plugins as well for Chrome/Firefox, you can check out on http://minus.com/pages/tools

Thanks

Holy... You actually tracked down a random minus comment in Community?!

Make an Opera extension please.

scoot3r

Thanks, man. I didn't know that I could be a source of excitement for people!

I'm also glad that you made the jump to White! Would you mind posting your current team?

Right now I'm running Samurott, Krookodile (he's my favorite so far), Haxorus, Tranquil for fly, Emolga, and Simisear.

Right now I'm running Samurott, Krookodile (he's my favorite so far), Haxorus, Tranquil for fly, Emolga, and Simisear.

Yeah, Krookodile is the proverbial bomb. You should probably ditch either Emolga or Simisear for something that will be more useful for the Elite Four/Postgame (like Scrafty or Galvantula).

Suairyu

Banned
Pokemon already has on "disk" DLC. It's just free.
Ownership of characters is something different in the Pokémon games. You have the chance to have all of them at no extra cost to yourself, so long as the opportunity is there, yeah? You own all that data, even if you can't access it.

That's really not what that thread I linked is about. SFxT is all about the "you have the data but you don't own it. Pay up".

Which is wrong, bra.

Emitan

Ownership of characters is something different in the Pokémon games. You have the chance to have all of them at no extra cost to yourself, so long as the opportunity is there, yeah? You own all that data, even if you can't access it.

That's really not what that thread I linked is about. SFxT is all about the "you have the data but you don't own it. Pay up".

Which is wrong, bra.

There's no rule saying DLC has to cost money.

ffdgh

oh i'll just give you a copy then....since shinys are hard to come by lol.

and for the remakes, we should get dream world starters XD

and for the remakes, we should get dream world starters XD

NOOOOOO.

The metagame will be overrun with fraudulent Serperiors with Contrary+Leaf Storm (-_-;)

EDIT: Whoops, missed the remakes part. Let me rephrase that:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The metagame will become overrun with fraudulent Blazikens with Speed Boost+Protect (-_-;)

ffdgh

i was debating going for jolly or adamant since one jolly dragon dance would outspend more than half the the metagame....
but more attack is always good too.... eh ok adamant

backlot

NOOOOOO.

The metagame will be overrun with fraudulent Serperiors with Contrary+Leaf Storm (-_-;)

EDIT: Whoops, missed the remakes part. Let me rephrase that:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The metagame will become overrun with fraudulent Blazikens with Speed Boost+Protect (-_-;)

I wouldn't really call those strategies fraudulent. Just easy to abuse (Blaziken more so).

What I really want is dream world Venusaur. Japan got em so what about the rest of the world?

QP3

Hello again everyone,

So i've been reading into EV training, but am still somewhat confused...
hopefully i am not the only one

do they only start coming into affect once my pokemon have reached level 100? also, is there any way of telling how many EV points you have left to train,

or must I keep track as i get them? thanks!

backlot

Hello again everyone,

So i've been reading into EV training, but am still somewhat confused...
hopefully i am not the only one

do they only start coming into affect once my pokemon have reached level 100? also, is there any way of telling how many EV points you have left to train,

or must I keep track as i get them? thanks!

You have to keep track of them yourself. There is an NPC who will tell you if you have maxed out your 510 EVs but she won't tell you what stat they are in.

EV's in Black in White come into effect as soon as you gain them though. You might not see the full benefit from it until level 100 but an EV trained level 50 Pokemon will definitely have higher stats than an un-EV trained one.

QP3

You have to keep track of them yourself. There is an NPC who will tell you if you have maxed out your 510 EVs but she won't tell you what stat they are in.

EV's in Black in White come into effect as soon as you gain them though. You might not see the full benefit from it until level 100 but an EV trained level 50 Pokemon will definitely have higher stats than an un-EV trained one.

So as soon as i catch a pokemon, and start training it to level up, the EV's begin to be added?? (even if i don't see their full effect until lvl 100)

My Emerald's Internal battery just ran dry. :(
I know that feeling, bro. I bet my old Ruby cart has gone the way of the Doduo by now. Say, isn't the 10th anniversary of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire going to be this year? You should claim posting rights, Wise one.

Revieiwing the massive Ruby and Sapphire album release right now, and I'm still impressed at how huge these soundtracks are. When you take into account everything else shoved onto a cart, I have to hand it to the sound team for making their music sound so good given their memory limitations.

backlot

So as soon as i catch a pokemon, and start training it to level up, the EV's begin to be added?? (even if i don't see their full effect until lvl 100)

Correct. Basically, you don't have to be at level 100 to benefit from EV training. Just don't expect you're level 5 Pokemon to have 200 HP already because you EV trained it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ok thanks a lot, this to helps clear things up!

EVs in Gen V are applied as they're collected. For every 4 EV points in one stat, you'll receive one point in that one stat. ie; If you fight four Pidove, you will have have a point applied to attack, because Pidove gives one Attack EV.

255 is the maximum amount of EVs you can invest in one stat, but you want to cap it at 252 as the extra 3 EV points will count towards nothing. 510 total EV points can be distributed in total, across all stats.

The easiest way to train is by buying the 'Power items' from the Battle Subway. While equipping these, your Pokemon will gain 4 EV points in a specific stat, depending on the item held, PLUS the EVs they would normally obtain from the Pokemon you fight. ie; You fight a Pidove. You obtain 5 total EVs. 4 due to your Power Bracer, and 1 for the Pidove.

But if you can't obtain Power items yet, Macho Brace doubles the EVs you would normally obtain from battle. If you have cash to burn as well, you can buy vitamins and apply them to a Pokemon for a bonus of 10 EVs to whatever stat the item applies to (ie; Protein, Attack. HP Up, Hit Points), up to 100 EVs in one stat. After that, you must train instead of using vitamins.

QP3

EVs in Gen V are applied as they're collected. For every 4 EV points in one stat, you'll receive one point in that one stat. ie; If you fight four Pidove, you will have have a point applied to attack, because Pidove gives one Attack EV.

255 is the maximum amount of EVs you can invest in one stat, but you want to cap it at 252 as the extra 3 EV points will count towards nothing. 510 total EV points can be distributed in total, across all stats.

The easiest way to train is by buying the 'Power items' from the Battle Subway. While equipping these, your Pokemon will gain 4 EV points in a specific stat, depending on the item held, PLUS the EVs they would normally obtain from the Pokemon you fight. ie; You fight a Pidove. You obtain 5 total EVs. 4 due to your Power Bracer, and 1 for the Pidove.

But if you can't obtain Power items yet, Macho Brace doubles the EVs you would normally obtain from battle. If you have cash to burn as well, you can buy vitamins and apply them to a Pokemon for a bonus of 10 EVs to whatever stat the item applies to (ie; Protein, Attack. HP Up, Hit Points), up to 100 EVs in one stat. After that, you must train instead of using vitamins.

Ok this sounds great. So basically, I will acquire said pokemon that I wish to EV train, figure out what stats I want to invest the EV's in, and then start training that pokemon against the enemies that give those EV's.

So after I have obtained the 510 total EV's, (252 in each category plus a remainder in whatever) the pokemon i am training will level normally after that, regardless of who/what you are fighting it against? Thanks!

Top Bottom