• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

That horrible moment when you realize you'll never have a legit shiny Victini...
Of course you'll get it... with a preorder of Pokémon™ Black Version 2 and White Version 2 at you nearest Target® retailer!

This is a one-time offer, and orders are limited, so make sure you get yours!

Of course you'll get it... with a preorder of Pokémon™ Black Version 2 and White Version 2 at you nearest Target® retailer!

This is a one-time offer, and orders are limited, so make sure you get yours!
Where do I sign up?!

Seriously though, why is the sprite even in the game if I can't legally get it?
Oh well...

Shiny Victini doesn't look that good man

I'll admit I used to think that, but it grew on me.

OMG Aero

Where do I sign up?!

Seriously though, why is the sprite even in the game if I can't legally get it?
Oh well...
So the game doesn't break if someone hacks one in and so Nintendo can do an event in the future if they ever want to like with the legendary beasts for HG/SS.

dc89

Just started playing Pokemon White for the first time properly. What I mean by that is, I aim not to stop playing after like 1 hour.

So, is there any advice PokeGAF can give me?

Don't waste your time on Audinos. The trainer battle spread pre-Castelia City is good enough to keep a team of 3 (starter + chimp + something else) on track for the Nacrene Gym. And, ideally, it should stay that way for the rest of the game, outside of some harmless non-usage of Repels in areas.

—If you come across any rustling grass, though, get ready to poach.

I am playing Pokemon Platinum (and I got White yesterday) lately. Is there a way to connect to the internet using a DS Lite without having to use a WEP key? I have a wireless broadband connection but I am using a WPA-WAP2 key or something, which the DS does not seem to want to recognize, and it's weird since all other wireless devices I have (printer, iPad etc) recognize it without problems.

I see. Are there any known WiFi connections or hotspots that will allow me to connect using Nintendo WiFi (so I won't need a WEP key)?

Any coffee shop and fast-food restaurant worth its salt will have a WEP-free hotspot.

Do you have a Starbucks/Tim Horton's in your area? They started a movement a while back to equip every location with free WiFi.

Younicorn

Neo Member
Put in 11 hours this weekend while on a trip to the in-laws' house...

That being said - my mind is now racing on how I can get a Scyther into White with False Swipe. I know there are others in White that can learn False Swipe, but they're no Scyther.

I guess back to Heart Gold I go!

Well got my Scrafty up to 41, about what level do my mons need to be to tackle the elite 4?

Preferrably ~50, but I managed to do it with a 4/6 Dark team at Level 47.

Regardless, teach your Scrafty Hi-Jump Kick and Crunch, and, if at a high enough level, it can sweep 3/4ths of the E4.

Andrefpvs

By the way, I got a Birthday Cake prop in Pokémon White. Do any earlier Pokémon games give you anything as well?

While I'm here, any other games that do this as well? I got a car from Gran Turismo 5 :eek:

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Happy Birthday yo, Game Freak made the right call in making Togekiss the happy birthday Pokemon. :)

Anth0ny

I just went over the list of shiny Pokemon I'd actually waste my time obtaining... and the list is small. Really small.

Spr_5b_006_s.png
Spr_5b_150_s.png
Spr_5b_208_m_s.png
Spr_5b_212_f_s.png
Spr_5b_384_s.png
Spr_5b_526_s.png
Spr_5b_553_s.png
Spr_5b_612_s.png
Spr_5b_625_s.png

They really dropped the ball on shiny Pokemon, I think. How hard could it be to make a creative recolor of each Pokemon? Why did they think coloring everything puke green was a good idea? Or taking the same color and making it slightly darker? We get stuck with these:

Spr_5b_025_f.png
->
Spr_5b_025_m_s.png

Spr_5b_094.png
->
Spr_5b_094_s.png

Spr_5b_445_f.png
->
Spr_5b_445_m_s.png

Spr_5b_644.png
->
Spr_5b_644_s.png

How could they not do white Zekrom.

If I didn't have the original for comparison, I wouldn't be able to tell if some of these dudes were shiny or not. Considering how difficult it is to catch a shiny, they should at least put SOME effort into them.

Younicorn

Neo Member
I just went over the list of shiny Pokemon I'd actually waste my time obtaining... and the list is small. Really small.

Spr_5b_006_s.png
Spr_5b_150_s.png
Spr_5b_208_m_s.png
Spr_5b_212_f_s.png
Spr_5b_384_s.png
Spr_5b_526_s.png
Spr_5b_553_s.png
Spr_5b_612_s.png
Spr_5b_625_s.png

They really dropped the ball on shiny Pokemon, I think. How hard could it be to make a creative recolor of each Pokemon? Why did they think coloring everything puke green was a good idea? Or taking the same color and making it slightly darker? We get stuck with these:

Spr_5b_025_f.png
->
Spr_5b_025_m_s.png

Spr_5b_094.png
->
Spr_5b_094_s.png

Spr_5b_445_f.png
->
Spr_5b_445_m_s.png

Spr_5b_644.png
->
Spr_5b_644_s.png

How could they not do white Zekrom.

If I didn't have the original for comparison, I wouldn't be able to tell if some of these dudes were shiny or not. Considering how difficult it is to catch a shiny, they should at least put SOME effort into them.

The list is very, very small for me as well, however, I judge which Pokemon I want to shiny hatch based purely on my favorite Pokemon overall.

Houndoom and Milotic may be my first two in Black and White - but I'm still waiting on a legit, Japanese Ditto for the Masuda Method.

*sigh

Firestorm

I like the slightly darker (Pikachu and Zapdos in particular) far more than most shiny Pokemon. It's funny because when looking for Pokemon from RNGers it seems shinies are far more common than regular Pokemon but I don't want the Shiny ones 9/10 times XD

Shiny Kingdra is the only one I really like (since I've kinda fallen out of love with Metagross), and that's because I like having female Kingdras.

J@hranimo

Banned
So with some amazing luck I was able to connect to one of my neighbors unsecured wifi connection with just enough strength to put my shiny Gyarados to sleep. I finally got my Mamoswine and Arceus! When I went to entralink though I had to actually search for my Arceus in the woods. Is it like that for the legendaries all the time?

Sofo

I am playing Pokemon Platinum (and I got White yesterday) lately. Is there a way to connect to the internet using a DS Lite without having to use a WEP key? I have a wireless broadband connection but I am using a WPA-WAP2 key or something, which the DS does not seem to want to recognize, and it's weird since all other wireless devices I have (printer, iPad etc) recognize it without problems.
I had this issue when we switched routers. The one that came was with a WPAkey as well. I tried buying that Nintendo Wi-Fi adaptor.

It sucked and I had to use a Virtual Machine on my computer, because it only works on XP or something. It was terrible. Just decided to change my router to WEP for the sake of it and changing the passwords of my family laptops as well as devices. It was less of a trouble than wasting money on that piece of shit thing.

Top Bottom