• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I want to see more Pokemon-based assist trophies. For example: all three of the Regis could provide elemental attacks one-after-another, rotating in a sort of triangular formation around the master players before combining their energies into one condensed, singular beam of destruction. Stuff like that would be legendary, in addition to new Pokemon in Pokeballs. I'd ideally like to get away from Spear Pillar or/and add a new stage representing Gen 5, like N's Castle or the Giant Chasm. Gen 3 representation should also garner a stage eventually, as there hasn't been a Hoenn-based arena in recorded memory.

So many possibilities, many of which will ultimately be up to chance.

Kjellson

While we're on the topic of Smash Bros., does anyone have a wishlist of Pokémon that you would like to appear in the next Smash Bros game?

I'm going to say what everyone expects me to say: Scrafty. It would actually make sense though, as he has a humanoid frame and a wide selection of moves. To me, it would make more sense than the inevitable addition of Zoroark.
There seems to be two new Pokémon each game, so I would like to see Mewtwo return and maybe Genesect or Deoxys as newcomers.

I think that having Krokorok/Krookodile in the game would be beyond amazing (Dark-type RESPECT), but I question how they would pull off some of his stronger moves, such as Stone Edge or Earthquake.

Earthquake could like DK's hand slapping with more knockback and range but a longer start up time to compensate, Stone Edge could be like one of those projectile moves in most traditional fighters that has three varying ranges, it would consist of a quick stone barrage that shoots out of the floor with a chance of dealing a critical hit for more damage and knockback.

Dark types could make for a trickster type of character, like using embargo to prevent your opponent from being able to pick up items (or knock off for a guranteed item drop if the opponent holds one), torment to be the bane of move spammers or a sucker punch counter attack.

Earthquake could like DK's hand slapping with more knockback and range but a longer start up time to compensate, Stone Edge could be like one of those projectile moves in most traditional fighters that has three varying ranges, it would consist of a quick stone barrage that shoots out of the floor with a chance of dealing a critical hit for more damage and knockback.

Dark types could make for a trickster type of character, like using embargo to prevent your opponent from being able to pick up items (or knock off for a guranteed item drop if the opponent holds one), torment to be the bane of move spammers or a sucker punch counter attack.

I can see how that might work now.

If a member of the Sandile family DOES make it into the game, though, then it had better have a sunglasses alt!

Wiseblade

While we're on the topic of Smash Bros., does anyone have a wishlist of Pokémon that you would like to appear in the next Smash Bros game?

I'm going to say what everyone expects me to say: Scrafty. It would actually make sense though, as he has a humanoid frame and a wide selection of moves. To me, it would make more sense than the inevitable addition of Zoroark.

By the time the next Smash Bros game comes out, we'll be talking about/ in Gen VI. Lucario will be replaced by his equivalent in those games and Jigglypuff is a lock at this point. The important question is what will happen to Pokémon Trainer. Will he still use the Gen I starters? Will he even be in the game at all?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I stand by my idea for a Unova-centric fighting game using the Smash engine.

Also...

TYS1o.jpg

Na na na na na na na na na Bat-chu!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Not sure if this has been posted yet but I found it pretty funny.
It's a parody of the Kony 2012 campaign in case you're unaware
uQaQj.jpg

Well, if you take the speculation over his scene in HG/SS to be true...

He drowned himself because he lost another Pokemon Battle to a kid, lol.

Which is extremely goofy if true since losing to a kid is, like, a pretty normal occurrence in the Pokemon World.

Well, if you take the speculation over his scene in HG/SS to be true...

He drowned himself because he lost another Pokemon Battle to a kid, lol.

Which is extremely goofy if true since losing to a kid is, like, a pretty normal occurrence in the Pokemon World.

Actually, if you listen carefully, the "splash" sound effect is the sound of the derelict radio turning on so Archer can inform Giovanni that they've lost the Radio Tower. I still like to think that GameFreak would have the courage to pull something like that in an E-rated game, though ;)

Although if you interperet the Antidote in the dining roomnof the Old Chateau a certain way, then maybe they already did... 0_o

Watch Da Birdie

Actually, if you listen carefully, the "splash" sound effect is the sound of the derelict radio turning on so Archer can inform Giovanni that they've lost the Radio Tower. I still like to think that GameFreak would have the courage to pull something like that in an E-rated game, though ;)

Although if you interperet the Antidote in the dining roomnof the Old Chateau a certain way, then maybe they already did... 0_o

Yeah, I believe that it's just goofy fan speculation myself.

Plus I think, imo, it'd be an anti-climatic ending to Gio's story arc as well. I mean, literally every other villain in the series loses to a child too, haha.

Watch Da Birdie

but giovanni was the only one that didn't give up completely tho lol.

Exactly.

It'd be ridiculously out of character if he killed himself over losing a Pokemon battle. Laughable even, and I can't believe there's people I've seen who seem to think that'd be a good ending to Giovanni's story.

OMG Aero

So since the new Wi-Fi tournament starts tomorrow and my team is more suited to singles rather than doubles, I could do with some move set advice if anyone wants to help.
My team is:
Volcarona - Fire Gem - Heat Wave, Bug Buzz, Hurricane, Quiver Dance
Galvantula - Electric Gem -Thunder, Bug Buzz, Energy Ball, Gastro Acid
Octillery (Moody) - Leftovers - Scald, Ice Beam, Gunk Shot, Protect
Gliscor (Poison Heal) - Toxic Orb - Earthquake, Acrobatics, Fling, Swords Dance
Reuniclus - Life Orb - Psychic, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Calm Mind
Bisharp - Focus Sash - Sucker Punch, Low Sweep, Psycho Cut, Swords Dance

The bolded moves are the ones I'm most seeking help with but any other advice would be appreciated. Mainly I'm curious about whether it would be better to swap out Hurricane on Volcarona for a better accuracy move like Psychic or something else and whether stat boost moves are worth using in doubles or whether it's too fast paced to make setting up a good strategy and if I should just replace them all. Also Gastro Acid is pretty much a placeholder on Galvantula so unless there are some major doubles abilities that I should keep that to neutralise, I'm open to suggestions for replacements for that too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So since the new Wi-Fi tournament starts tomorrow and my team is more suited to singles rather than doubles, I could do with some move set advice if anyone wants to help.
My team is:
Volcarona - Fire Gem - Heat Wave, Bug Buzz, Hurricane, Quiver Dance
Octillery (Moody) - Leftovers - Scald, Ice Beam, Gunk Shot, Protect
Gliscor (Poison Heal) - Toxic Orb - Earthquake, Acrobatics, Fling, Swords Dance
Reuniclus - Life Orb - Psychic, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Calm Mind
Bisharp - Focus Sash - Sucker Punch, Low Sweep, Psycho Cut, Swords Dance

The bolded moves are the ones I'm most seeking help with but any other advice would be appreciated. Mainly I'm curious about whether it would be better to swap out Hurricane on Volcarona for a better accuracy move like Psychic or something else and whether stat boost moves are worth using in doubles or whether it's too fast paced to make setting up a good strategy and if I should just replace them all. Also Gastro Acid is pretty much a placeholder on Galvantula so unless there are some major doubles abilities that I should keep that to neutralise, I'm open to suggestions for replacements for that too.

Setup moves are rarely used in Doubles. It's much more fast paced than Singles, and very few Pokemon will find success with setting up. Gastro Acid could have some use to cripple things like Swift Swimmers, anything with Prankster, or stuff with Levitate to allow Gliscor to hit them. Hurricane is not a terrible move to keep on Volcarona, instead you run into a Rain team which hurts Heat Wave. Consider using Rage Powder if you are going to setup with something, because it will allow Vol to take the focus away from the setup Pokemon (ie; Gliscor and Volcarona, use Rage Powder and eat Ice Beams aimed at Gliscor).

If you just want to replace your setup moves with Protect, it would probably be an improvement. Protect is all too useful in doubles. It would allow Gliscor to play with things like Bisharp, without destroying his own teammate with Earthquake, and it lets you scout moves. It's especially useful to making Fake Out useless, and if you Protect while be double attacked, it'll give you a huge advantage. It can also be used to stall out one of the most deadly styles in Trick Room.

Boogiepop

How do these Wi-Fi tournaments usually run, anyway? Do they actually match you and do elimination of any sort, or is it just like random battles only from a specific pool, and whoever has the most wins comes out on top?

Edit: Also, do you guys think I'd be better off running, like, 4 actually well made pokemon for a sandstorm team+2 random extras, or just 6 pokemon with decent coverage? I'm not really used to doubles at all, personally, and I definitely don't have enough for a full sandstorm team.

Double Edit: Never mind. My larvitar with the good IVs seems to be designed to be for a Boah set, and doesn't even have the right ability, so sandstorm is out for now. Bleh.

Triple Edit: Whoops, guts turns into Sandstream and I'm stupid. Still, it's Quiet nature.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Run whatever you think will win more often. Sand can be fine, but have a strategy in case you run into another weather like Rain, Sun, or Trick Room. Good-stuff teams can be pretty good, and if you've more confidence in those Pokemon then use it.

By the way, just had Whimsicott beat Metagross (Choice Band locked into Bullet Punch), Tyranitar, and Garchomp mostly by itself in a WiFi match. Such a rage inducing Pokemon. I can throw it on nearly any team (TR in this case) and it fits. I usually run Encore / Cotton Guard / Leech Seed / Substitute with Rocky Helmet. It's an off beat set, but it counters any physical Pokemon that doesn't carry a Super Effective move (Fire, Ice are much more commonly Special, but I need to watch out for Flying Gem Acrobatics). Cotton Guard raises Defense by three stages, so it's pretty ridiculous even if you only get one boost in.

Boogiepop

So, I currently have:
Starmie
Ninjask
Electivire (the PBR one)
Rhyperior
Weavile (Ice Punch)
Togekiss
Hydreigon (Dark Pulse)
Cloyster
Heatran
Gengar
and a Quiet Larvitar that can be trained into a Tyranitar, as well as an Adamant Landorus.

This is pretty much all I have, all good IVs and EV trained. The only egg moves on them are the ones listed, to the best of my recollection.

I feel like I have time to make one more pokemon, but I'm not sure if there's any that could really bring this collection of pokemon together especially well. Any suggestions? (I can't catch any more Legendaries, and I'd prefer everything being doable in Gen V, IE no previous gen's tutors/TMs required.)

I was thinking maaaaybe Machamp, as I'm really lacking a anything in the way of fighting, and he seemed interesting.

ffdgh

how about guts conkeldurr with flame orb and mach punch? tho machamp works too

on an unrelated note, finally rnged my first egg shiny with a 3ds :D.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Any version of Machamp not running No Guard is outclassed by a variety of other fighting types. Conkeldurr has more attack, more physical bulk and is slower for Trick Room. If you want to use an alternative Guts abuser Fighting type, think Hariyama. He carries similar bulk, has access to Fake Out to activate Flame Orb (and give your teammate a chance to setup Trick Room) and has a relatively expansive move pool.

Boogiepop

Looking into Conkeldurr now.

How the heck do you get Drain Punch, Mach Punch, and Detect on him? I can't figure out how to breeding chain it together.

backlot

Looking into Conkeldurr now.

How the heck do you get Drain Punch, Mach Punch, and Detect on him? I can't figure out how to breeding chain it together.

If you can get a male Hitmonchan in gen 4 you can teach him drain punch through TM. He learns the other two moves by level up. That's the only way I'm seeing right now.

OMG Aero

Setup moves are rarely used in Doubles. It's much more fast paced than Singles, and very few Pokemon will find success with setting up. Gastro Acid could have some use to cripple things like Swift Swimmers, anything with Prankster, or stuff with Levitate to allow Gliscor to hit them. Hurricane is not a terrible move to keep on Volcarona, instead you run into a Rain team which hurts Heat Wave. Consider using Rage Powder if you are going to setup with something, because it will allow Vol to take the focus away from the setup Pokemon (ie; Gliscor and Volcarona, use Rage Powder and eat Ice Beams aimed at Gliscor).

If you just want to replace your setup moves with Protect, it would probably be an improvement. Protect is all too useful in doubles. It would allow Gliscor to play with things like Bisharp, without destroying his own teammate with Earthquake, and it lets you scout moves. It's especially useful to making Fake Out useless, and if you Protect while be double attacked, it'll give you a huge advantage. It can also be used to stall out one of the most deadly styles in Trick Room.
Thanks for the help, since the competition is now open I just registered my team with these moves:
Volcarona - Fire Gem - Heat Wave, Bug Buzz, Hurricane, Protect
Octillery (Moody) - Leftovers - Surf, Ice Beam, Gunk Shot, Protect
Gliscor (Poison Heal) - Toxic Orb - Earthquake, Acrobatics, Fling, Protect
Reuniclus - Life Orb - Psychic, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Protect
Bisharp - Focus Sash - Sucker Punch, Low Sweep, Psycho Cut, Protect

I pretty much swapped all the stat up moves for Protect and then also swapped Scald on Octillery for Surf so I can attack both opponents with that and Earthquake without damaging my team.

Give the soundtrack to Go Ichinose and Hitomi Sato, not Shota Kageyama. The first two composer's styles would bring some benefit to a less-melodramatic storyline and feel.

Great job, Balrog. That was an awesome watch ;)

For those who are REALLY interested in Pokémon music
(*cough cough* Dragoon)
and have half an hour to spare, I present: The Medley of Pokémon.

Who knows, maybe some of you have already seen it.

Nifty, though this trance medley isn't exactly my thing. I prefer acoustic arrangements myself, especially if they're performed live with unique instrumentation.

I'm really interested in Pokemon music because I'm writing about it, not just because I love the music itself. When it comes to getting into game criticism, writing about game music and its relation to game design and memorability is a great way to get started. Plus, publishing for a well-respected site is bound to get me attention and something useful for my resume. So, generally-speaking, I try to put a lot of effort into researching and analyzing game music, and this applies double for Pokemon soundtracks, with how big they are.

—Ultimately, though, my parents are just too stingy to buy me a PS3, so game music criticism is just a lot cheaper for me!

Gruco

Banned
IMPORTANT CHANGES THAT BW2 NEED

cut the encounter rate in half
give liepard an alt form with stats that don't suck

Well, Liepard will probably get Prankster at least I guess. That's the main thing I expect - finally getting Shadow Tag Chandelure, etc. Also Steven Stone should hang out at Cynthia's vacation house.

BW did so much to improve the general mechanics that it's heard for me to really think of much there...use the HG/SS menus...Battle Frontier...move tutors...that's about all I need.

Boogiepop

There's no chance anyone on here has a male timburr line pokemon with Mach Punch/Detect/Drain Punch, do they? Or a hitmonchan with those or something? I may be able to work it out come the weekend when I have access to gen IV, but I'd really like to get started on working on a Conkeldurr now if at all possible.

Watch Da Birdie

So, Nobunaga x Pokemon comes out Saturday. Anyone importing?

I'm really hoping this comes to the US, because it looks pretty neat. I also love how they matched up each Bushou (and they didn't change their appearance much from the real Nobunaga games) to a complimentary Pokemon, and that apparently every character gets their own post-game chapter.

THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER
The Donamite Arc looks cool, especially since the whole thing is setting up a fight between Throh and Sawk, my two favorite Fighting Pokemon.

Boogiepop

It's the damn Connectify program. It works fine for just about everything BUT WiFi Pokemon trading. I think it's worked once for that.

I'm not sure there's really anything I can do about it now. Would you be around anytime after 3-4 tomorrow? I should be at a nice stable router by then.

Top Bottom