• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Sagitario

The amount of monsters in Nobunaga seems small, I was expecting more... specially more legendaries.

Also, this:

vAuUJ.png

Love it!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wait, is it true that the battery in RBY is dieing and the save files will be erased? It happened to my Gold a couple years back.

Yes. All internal batteries will eventually die. I boot up my games every year to check (all still okay, back to RBY). Your only solution is to replace the internal battery once it dies, but your data will be lost.

But love for the old games continues. I just found this wonderful translation of the HG/SS album liner notes I wanted to look at earlier, courtesy of Dogasu. Quite insightful and a fun read—perhaps I'll email the translator to see how busy he/she/it is with other obligations before hatching a plan.

Furthermore: this interview confirms some suspicions of mine about the sound team. Shota Kageyama was most likely accepted into Game Freak because of his ability to craft newer and better sound engines for then-upcoming games, like HG/SS and B/W. Not only that, but his ability to do orchestral arrangements and bring his own unique style of arranging and composing to the forefront gave him front-row seating for B/W's soundtrack, while Go Ichinose and Hitomi Sato took a more backseat approach. I can't wait for B2/W2 to come around so I can witness the evolution of this fine sound team.

Sagitario

But love for the old games continues. I just found this wonderful translation of the HG/SS album liner notes I wanted to look at earlier, courtesy of Dogasu. Quite insightful and a fun read—perhaps I'll email the translator to see how busy he/she/it is with other obligations before hatching a plan.

Furthermore: this interview confirms some suspicions of mine about the sound team. Shota Kageyama was most likely accepted into Game Freak because of his ability to craft newer and better sound engines for then-upcoming games, like HG/SS and B/W. Not only that, but his ability to do orchestral arrangements and bring his own unique style of arranging and composing to the forefront gave him front-row seating for B/W's soundtrack, while Go Ichinose and Hitomi Sato took a more backseat approach. I can't wait for B2/W2 to come around so I can witness the evolution of this fine sound team.

Well, music in B/W was excellent. Can't wait to hear B2/W2 :D

This is why you're my favourite person to talk to.

Emailing the translator right now. He's an English teacher in Japan (*bu-dum tish*). And he's a long-time, fairly-active fan of the anime and games. So this might work out.

I looked up the contents of each game music album released so far, and the only one without an interview of some sort is the original RGB album released in 1997. Plenty of content featuring, for the most part, Go Ichinose and Junichi Masuda, with Hitomi and Shota featuring in later albums. This could be very useful for me and ScraftyD.

That's what I thought as well. I guess we'll eventually get polygonal Pokemon models for reasons like animation difficulties. And for the better, really.

But they better stick with 2D character portraits!

Firestorm

Urgh. Finally got my team together and was trying to do some test battles online but getting disconnected like crazy. Not sure what the issue is because I played in the last tournament just fine with the same router x.x

If you see Rushan from British Columbia, Canada over the course of the tournament that's me by the by.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Urgh. Finally got my team together and was trying to do some test battles online but getting disconnected like crazy. Not sure what the issue is because I played in the last tournament just fine with the same router x.x

If you see Rushan from British Columbia, Canada over the course of the tournament that's me by the by.

I've been battling rated doubles the last few days without issue. I'll be Lanky from Ontario, Canada.

So why isn't there an OT for Nobunaga's Ambition over on the gaming side? This game looks awesome.

Usually people don't make |OT|s until they come out in the west, unless it's a big mainline Japanese game like Monster Hunter or Pokemon. I mean, there's nothing stopping you from doing it, but most don't bother to.

Boogiepop

Woot! Team finally finished and registered! (Found out I needed to level up Rhyperior to 77 for Megahorn, which took a bit.) Thanks again to everyone who helped me out with building my team, and sorry for all the connection issues I had along the way.

The writing was really good too, even if the story wasn't all that fantastic. Anyone played the other ones? How are they?

I played as Mudkip in Blue Rescue Team, Munchlax in Explorers of Time, and Riolu in Explorers of Sky.

Mystery Dungeon 2 was definitely better than he first game IMO, because it had a better plot and villains. Plus you can play as Munchlax. And Munchlax is adorable.

My friend has a Japanese Wii, so he's played the WiiWare Mystery Dungeon games. According to him; they're alright, but nothing really special.

I peeked through the Game Freak staff blog last night just out of curiosity. Some really cool posts regarding the sound team and how badass Morimoto is when he beats everybody in Pokemon tournaments. They've even got a British dude working at the company, and Go Ichinose is even sillier than I thought possible (which makes sense—he makes a lot of silly music!).

Most interestingly, though: Game Freak must be the best developer in Japan to actually work at right now. Their offices look so damn amazing and the way they operate is very Western-styled and unique. Never mind that Satoshi Tajiri is a recluse, because working with Junichi would be hella fun. I'm now obsessed with this company, and will definitely post some big threads about their non-Pokemon output when I have the time.
To be honest, I'm only covering Thunder Force in Gaming because I love the music. Games are really great too, but not as interesting for me to jibe about personally.

And that PMD music is simply amazing. That's the level of music that the mainline titles should more consistently reach, even if they still keep in the memorable melodies and such.

I peeked through the Game Freak staff blog last night just out of curiosity. Some really cool posts regarding the sound team and how badass Morimoto is when he beats everybody in Pokemon tournaments.
I guess that explains why he showed up as a challenger in BW, instead of someone more present PR-wise like Masuda.

Well of course. That, and he's traditionally been the man in charge of designing the battles, especially in recent games. He and Hitomi Sato are also the two big recruiters at the company, which I found interesting. And they have cool parties and stuff.

Who here has heard of Bushi Seiryuuden and Click + Medic, two post-Red and Green non-Pokemon games that Game Freak developed for the SNES and PSX? I want to do a thread about the former, and the latter has a very interesting concept.

Ooh, I've heard of Click + Medic, but not BS.

But I haven't gone into GF's other works really (save for Drill Dozer), so a thread would be nice :)

Can do. BS has a lot more media and info for me to cover, but Click + Medic could use some investigation. Only two short vids on YT and no mention of production credits anywhere on the Internet. There may be something on NicoNicoDouga, though—not sure, going to check before I cover it.

Bushi is really interesting, though, so expect a good write-up. Someone's already wrote up on it for HG101, which means I can reference that and provide some of my own thoughts as well. Click + Medic is simply difficult to get anything on because it's highly text-dependent (which means you have to know your Japanese), and it's essentially a puzzle-adventure game as well. So not that easy.

Firestorm

Well of course. That, and he's traditionally been the man in charge of designing the battles, especially in recent games. He and Hitomi Sato are also the two big recruiters at the company, which I found interesting. And they have cool parties and stuff.

Who here has heard of Bushi Seiryuuden and Click + Medic, two post-Red and Green non-Pokemon games that Game Freak developed for the SNES and PSX? I want to do a thread about the former, and the latter has a very interesting concept.
If you ever see blog posts about or interviews with Morimoto about battling I would be tremendously grateful. Or even a link and I'll try and find a translator!

Gravijah

Click + Medic is simply difficult to get anything on because it's highly text-dependent (which means you have to know your Japanese), and it's essentially a puzzle-adventure game as well. So not that easy.

if you know of any places with samples of the click + medic music i would GREATLY appreciate it. all i can find are a few youtube videos and that's it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
They've even got a British dude working at the company
Yeah, I think that's James Turner. He's a pretty big deal since he's the first non-Japanese to have a hand in-designing the Pokemon...

He was responsible for the Vullaby, Golett, and Vanillite family. Of course, that might be viewed as a bad thing depending on what you think of them...but I love Golurk, at least.

Bushi Seiryuuden and Click + Medic
I don't know if it's one of these games, but apparently Gamefreak references one of their older games in Black and White. The close-up dialogue scenes with N, apparently, are based off dialogue screens in an older Gamefreak visual novel, or something. Do you know if it's one of these two?

OMG Aero

Yeah, I think that's James Turner. He's a pretty big deal since he's the first non-Japanese to have a hand in-designing the Pokemon...

He was responsible for the Vullaby, Golett, and Vanillite family. Of course, that might be viewed as a bad thing depending on what you think of them...but I love Golurk, at least.

I think the stupid ice cream Pokemon are a worthy price to pay for the awesome flying robot that is Golurk.

if you know of any places with samples of the click + medic music i would GREATLY appreciate it. all i can find are a few youtube videos and that's it.
I don't, and it pains me too because I like the music a lot. Very few Westerners have played it and I doubt most of them would have been able to get far without knowledge of Japanese, so it's the least-accessible Game Freak game ever made by far.

I don't know if it's one of these games, but apparently Gamefreak references one of their older games in Black and White. The close-up dialogue scenes with N, apparently, are based off dialogue screens in an older Gamefreak visual novel, or something. Do you know if it's one of these two?
Definitely. He got interviewed for the company site's employment section, which has a bunch of info on life at Game Freak coming from different perspectives. The Golurk line alone is awesome enough to pardon him for Vanillite. And I'm fine with Vullaby too.

To answer your question: both. Crazy, I know, but Bushi Seiryuuden introduced the foreground-background scenes that Game Freak revisited in B/W, with the ability to talk with drawn NPCs in the foreground and investigate the background slide by shifting the camera left and right. Watch a video of the game and you'll see what I mean. Something similar was done for Click + Medic, but it was more rigid and menu-based.

But that's not even the best reference of all! Listen to this battle theme from the second boss in-game. Sound familiar? The very same opening melody got rearranged by Go Ichinose as the Team X Leader battle theme in Ruby and Sapphire, 5 years after BS was released. If that isn't the most obscure homage in the world, then I'll be. Go sure knows how to make subpar Junichi Masuda music sound a shit-load better (which he did in the case of HG/SS' Route 29).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Neat!

I know that Diamond and Pearl had musical shout-outs to Pulseman, but no idea about this.

EDIT: Isn't that bird monster, like, Braviary minus the headdress and colored wings? :0

Well, the Rival battle resemblance in D/P wasn't as exact as this one was, and it's no surprise that Go would do his own arrangement in remembrance.

And, yes, that is a prototype Braviary. I'm surprised Ken Sugimori hasn't made a reference to Jerry Boy or Quinty by now, given how many references to Pulseman and BS have been made in Pokemon. And Bokuu, the pink thing accompanying Jin in-battle, is practically the bastard child of Mew and Audino.
Or, doing some algebra here: was it Audino who was the bastard child?

I can't wait for the weekend. Now, though, I have to read about Reagan.

Top Bottom