• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I'm not into the whole shipping thing, but I have no truck with any anime pairing that isn't Axew x Scraggy.

They're not being subtle about it any more, they're just gay for each other.

It is time to discuss a very profound image.

OfT68.jpg

I must now have these
re-
issues. They have awesome cover art and collectible worth.

Yeah. Game Freak started out as Satoshi Tajiri's arcade gaming fanzine, off of which he made a good buck for his efforts. Ken Sugimori joined a little bit later to start exercising his developing artistic talents. It all started in their little doujinshi circle, and then they started to make games.

These re-issues were done around 2004/5 for who knows why, but they definitely exhibit Ken's more modern, cleaner art-style. I love how he arranged that 15.

OMG Aero

I wish more people watched the English cartoon instead of the Japanese one so we could have discussions of it here.
Like, for example, how fucking adorable Deerling is:
3wA8H.jpg

ch7KV.jpg

:3

I wish more people watching the English cartoon instead of the Japanese one so we could have discussions of it here.
3wA8H.jpg

ch7KV.jpg

I watch the English one, and read synopsies on the Japanese one (I really don't have the time to find any HQ subs online T_T). I like most of the English voices, save for a few (why does 10-year-old Trip have the voice of a 20-year old man?)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I do like that Trip actually loses to smaller trainers and has some character. At least compared to that horrid sue Paul. He constantly wins, losing only to God-tier trainers (Cynthia and Brandon) and is a smarmy bastard that never got reprimanded for his abusive actions. When he finally lost to Ash, he was "forgiven" like he did nothing wrong.

So glad they got rid of contests, that was padding that wasn't needed for the last *counts* EIGHT? Eight seasons of that? Wow.

I do like that Trip actually loses to smaller trainers and has some character. At least compared to that horrid sue Paul. He constantly wins, losing only to God-tier trainers (Cynthia and Brandon) and is a smarmy bastard that never got reprimanded for his abusive actions. When he finally lost to Ash, he was "forgiven" like he did nothing wrong.

So glad they got rid of contests, that was padding that wasn't needed for the last *counts* EIGHT? Eight seasons of that? Wow.

Yeah, Paul was a jerk and a plot tumour of almost Tobias-like levels. As unlikely as it is, I REALLY hope Trip loses to Bianca next episode to: A) Give Bianca her first major victory and B) Continue hid character developement.

I'm also very satsified with the pacing of this season. 70-some-odd episodes in and Ash already has 6 Gym badges. Seems like they're taking things at a brisk pace to finish all of the gyms off befoee the release of BW2 in Japan.

I'm sorry but....what?!

Watch the Gothita dub next week. It's the furthest thing from subtle.

I'M NOT CRAZY.

I wish more people watched the English cartoon instead of the Japanese one so we could have discussions of it here.
3wA8H.jpg

ch7KV.jpg

I'm game to talk about the anime with anyone, frankly.

And, yes, Deerling is utterly KAWAIIII.

Yeah, Paul was a jerk and a plot tumour of almost Tobias-like levels. As unlikely as it is, I REALLY hope Trip loses to Bianca next episode to: A) Give Bianca her first major victory and B) Continue hid character developement.

He does. Bianca vs. Georgia is part of next week's episode.

I'm also very satsified with the pacing of this season. 70-some-odd episodes in and Ash already has 6 Gym badges. Seems like they're taking things at a brisk pace to finish all of the gyms off befoee the release of BW2 in Japan.

Yeah, I think that's probably where they're going. They won't get it all done by June, but all the gyms and probably the League will have been dealt with by the end of the year at the latest, or possibly by September. Then they'll probably utilise Eastern Unova, as well as any BW2-specific areas.

All I want to know is if there'll be a new soundtrack for the sequel. If so, there better be more Go Ichinose. He'd be tailor-fit to do the new soundtrack, now that we've gotten away from the meat of the Team Plasma plot-line.

I'm starting to finish up my Ruby and Sapphire album review as I speak, and it's taken a while. Thankfully, though, the time is near for me and my colleagues to start working on site renovations. Which means I'll have more competition to worry about, lol.

FR/LG is a bit disappointing, really. Go Ichinose messed up the Wild Pokemon Battle theme, even if he made the Trainer, Gym Leader, and Final battle themes a million times more awesome. A lot of the tracks are also really close to their originals structurally, which pisses me off (and he's even made note of this himself—I know that Go wants to go all-out with his arrangements, but he can't!). HG/SS, on the other hand, was quite well-done, especially since Go rearranged his tracks very damn well. It's still the only soundtrack to make Cherrygrove Town sound good. For some reason, though, Shota did most of the battle themes. Route 47 is a great new route theme from Hitomi—really-complex chord progression exercise, I'd say.

I guess that, from what we've experienced with FR/LG and HG/SS, the remakes really need to give you a GB
A
Player from the start, so that the sound team won't be pressured to keep the original tunes the same when they rearrange for whatever sound set-up they're going to use. Give players options!

I was always pretty underwhelmed by the FR/LG soundtrack, there was something very off about it to me but they got the job done, to this day I still feel as if i'm waiting for a truly fantastic version of the original Gym Leader battle theme.

It's the samples Go used, no question. He chose some very high-pitched, organ-like sounds that just sound like organ synth and nothing else, which means there wasn't as much instrumental variety as there could have been. His arrangements were conservative most of the time too, with the eyecatches sounding as dull as they were originally and only a few themes being really augmented by the choices he and Junichi made. At least the album gave us the Deoxys music—redeeming the whole soundtrack (and Junichi's album rearrangements are pretty interesting as well).

Any battle themes related to any wild Pokemon and legendaries, oddly-enough, got shafted, while any trainer-related battle themes were much better than they were originally. Very interesting.

They may be boring and brassy, but they're sure as hell more varied than anything I heard in FR/LG.

Changing the subject here: who thinks N should the main protagonist of B2/W2? I think it'd work quite well.

Gravijah

They may be boring and brassy, but they're sure as hell more varied than anything I heard in FR/LG.

Changing the subject here: who thinks N should the main protagonist of B2/W2? I think it'd work quite well.

variety? i'll give you that~

and i wouldn't want n as the protagonist because then there wouldn't be a female mc.

Wiseblade

I dunno, Bulbasaur x Venusaur was CreepyGAF worthy.

Nah, the CreepyGAF equivalent would be an Ivysaur.

This probably the worst possible time to mention that there about half of the first stage starters I prefer to their final evolutions, isn't it? ¬.¬

Top Bottom