• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Professor Beef said:
They only die if you don't pay attention to your CP/Subscribed Threads list.

By simply not bringing on new members, the thread will become more stale, and will die a much quicker death for a great number of threads. Games with huge communities like Team Fortress 2, Halo and Pokemon will be okay. Once smaller |OT|s start moving here on a regular basis, they will rot, where previously, they may pick up a few new people offering new insights here and there.

Community Forum should be renamed Graveyard Forum to properly represent itself.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EvilMario said:
By simply not bringing on new members, the thread will become more stale, and will die a much quicker death for a great number of threads. Games with huge communities like Team Fortress 2, Halo and Pokemon will be okay. Once smaller |OT|s start moving here on a regular basis, they will rot, where previously, they may pick up a few new people offering new insights here and there.

Community Forum should be renamed Graveyard Forum to properly represent itself.

Yeah, even the Zelda CT took a big hit in moving to Community. Can't imagine that the other CTs will stay alive, like the RE or even FF ones.

But PokeGAF is usually fine. The BW OT took a huge hit coming to Community but I think that also has mostly to do with not much being done with those games in general. No real events (event Pokemon), not much to talk about. I think this thread should do much better since we have lots to talk about here.

Hopefully, anyways.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh snap, it was because of my extension. :( Well, and his flagrant disregard for the rules in a thread where Evilore was posting. :(

Hope it's only for a few days.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Roto13 said:
Smilies are banned? Do I have to uninstall Andrex's Chrome extension?

You can write out emoticons, but posting an image of the ol' smiley face is bannable. You're generally okay to do it in most threads where Evilore isn't lurking though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also never ever ever just post the image. In the rare cases I use it, it's like at the end of some comment, and usually in a humorous thread.

Curse you and your brilliance, Andrex!
LLShC.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
spindashing said:
Wow, I didn't know smileys were out right banned.

It's important to realize the intent of taking smilies away in the first place: stopping brainless posts that only posted a smiley and stopping the use of smilies as a form of mockery.

Posting a smiley as an addendum to an actual post, and not using it as a weapon against others, should probably be fine... I've used it "correctly" in threads with mods and never had any trouble, nor was I ever told I should take down my extension. Even before smilies were banned, I'd post off-link smilies all the time and still do (like Kittonwy did.) Stopping that really wasn't the target of taking smilies away.

Unfortunately I guess my extension does make it easier to abuse it again.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
DoomXploder7 said:
The only mainline pokemon game I haven't played is Heart Gold ...some how i feel like remedying that at some point.

Black / White are by far the most polished. It's sort of painful to even go back to Heart Gold for me. If you want to play more, play forward. You only want to play older renditions of Pokemon games if they hold some precious nostalgia value for you.

Boney

Banned
EvilMario said:
You can write out emoticons, but posting an image of the ol' smiley face is bannable. You're generally okay to do it in most threads where Evilore isn't lurking though.
they must've changed it, it wasn't like that when the smileys were taken off, you could still link the image. well we all know how this goes

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Boney said:
they must've changed it, it wasn't like that when the smileys were taken off, you could still link the image. well we all know how this goes

Like others have said, a lot of it is to do with context (and Evilore's ever watchful eye). They were trying to avoid threads with page after page of smiley's and no conversation. Of course, people post images to the same effect, so I'm not sure if it accomplished anything.

Never use it by itself. And I'd probably avoid it in a thread (like the TOS thread) where Evilore is lurking. Billychu chose.. poorly, on both accounts.

Gravijah

Boney said:

no, right when it was removed, i'm pretty sure people were warned or banned when they linked to the image.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gravijah said:
no, right when it was removed, i'm pretty sure people were warned or banned when they linked to the image.

Correct, but mostly because immediately starting linking to the image for the smiley.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
UltimateIke said:
KD6BU.gif
PCTrq.gif
LijCj.gif
NrsCl.gif
Y6Jo6.gif
qEh82.gif
xX0su.gif
JusDJ.gif
NwLAA.gif
iap0P.gif
9OdwV.gif
6PyVG.gif
M9sr5.gif

I really like these. Andrex did a great first post!

<3 Thanks.

Was sort of a pain doing them all by hand, cropping sprite sheets, etc. But it was worth it. Original Red isn't perfect, I had to like flip his body in the fourth frame or something... And FireRed Red looks derpy for some reason that escapes me. Maybe Red in general is cursed.

That reminds me, any of you watch those Scary Blue vids I posted? They just get more and more ridiculous with each vid.
KuGsj.gif
<-- Proper usage, I think.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
when i realized the walking animation in rby (when walking horizontal) is just one foot moving constantly forward... :(

Moving downward just moves one hand down (the left one I think) instead of alternating each one because it lacks the other frame. GS-on fixed this.

Roto13

Andrex said:
<3 Thanks.

Was sort of a pain doing them all by hand, cropping sprite sheets, etc. But it was worth it. Original Red isn't perfect, I had to like flip his body in the fourth frame or something... And FireRed Red looks derpy for some reason that escapes me. Maybe Red in general is cursed.
FireRed Red is kind of swaying from side to side. He's got swagger.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wiseblade said:
What order did everyone play the games in? I went:

Red->Yellow->Silver->Crystal->Trading Card Game->Emerald->Diamond->Mystery Dungeon->Platinum->S. Silver->Black.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yaceka said:
Dear god...!

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!? D:

That actually always made sense to me. He's taking one step forward.

If he were running and it was only one leg, then that'd be weird. But just walking it fine.

Top Bottom