• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
then who. it's useless. it shouldn't exist.

WHO IS WORSE

Minun. Carbon copy of Plusle. Shouldn't exist either.

Wiseblade said:
Emerald > Yellow > Platinum > Crystal

I'd put Yellow at the end. It didn't even add much and its story is completely non-canon.

Andrex said:
I'd put Yellow at the end. It didn't even add much and its story is completely non-canon.
How so? Red in G/S/C uses the most notable Pokémon you get in Yellow Version. He leads with Pikachu and has all three starters...They went as far as giving him Lapras in HG/SS to make it even more like the anime. Is it all just fan service?

Wiseblade

UltimateIke said:
How so? Red in G/S/C uses the most notable Pokémon you get in Yellow Version. He leads with Pikachu and has all three starters...They went as far as giving him Lapras in HG/SS to make it even more like the anime. Is it all just fan service?
More accurately, every one of Red's Pokemon in GSC and HGSS is a gift/one-off in Yellow.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Aside from Red's team, I meant.

But besides any story issues it really did nothing for the series in general. Crystal had the Battle Tower, female character, and intro animations; Emerald had the Battle Frontier and some hardcore tweaks like Flame Body + eggs; Platinum had its own Battle Frontier, the Wi-Fi Plaza, animated back sprites, and the Versus Recorder.

What did Yellow bring to the table? A single following Pokemon is hardly even comparable.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:

But besides any story issues it really did nothing for the series in general. Crystal had the Battle Tower, female character, and intro animations; Emerald had the Battle Frontier and some hardcore tweaks like Flame Body + eggs; Platinum had its own Battle Frontier, the Wi-Fi Plaza, animated back sprites, and the Versus Recorder.

What did Yellow bring to the table? A single following Pokemon is hardly even comparable.
Giving the player all the starters was kind of a big deal at the time.

Andrex said:

Andrex said:
...so yeah, Yellow is bottom tier in terms of third versions.
Pikachu is a cultural phenomenon, and you should feel blessed that Nintendo let one follow you around.
LOL.

They even gave him a Surf mini-game! Where would Gravijah and Chet Rippo be without that?

Anth0ny

lhG0e.png
lwAxH.png

How many of you actually unlocked this, legit?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anth0ny said:
surfing1.png
surfing2.png

How many of you actually unlocked this, legit?

Learn to not hotlink images. >_>

Also I never did unlock it. Never could figure out how, was pretty disappointed.

Almost nobody? Only 1000 Surfing Pikachu were ever given away by Nintendo Power.

Who managed to beat Round 2 - Prime Cup - Master Ball with Pikachu on Pokémon Stadium? That was the only other way to get Surf. :/

Firestorm

UltimateIke said:
Who managed to beat Round 2 - Prime Cup - Master Ball with Pikachu on Pokémon Stadium? That was the only other way to get Surf. :/
That's what I did on all my playthroughs for Red although I always evolved it into Raichu after. It was cool. It used its tail as a surfboard iirc.

Firestorm said:
That's what I did on all my playthroughs for Red although I always evolved it into Raichu after. It was cool. It used its tail as a surfboard iirc.
I *might* could do it now, but 11 year old me barely beat Mewtwo Round 1. I never got close to finishing Round 2.

I didn't know he had a custom overworld Surfing sprite. In Yellow and Gen II.
bfEZ4.png
V1Rn1.png

Firestorm

I remember using my brother's Mewtwo during one of my runs of Prime R2 and going up against the final guy's Mew with it. We finished on a Struggle war. I was smart enough to keep Recover as my last move so I won =) Mewtwo w/Amnesia + Psychic + Blizzard + Recover. That set destroyed everything.

Ultratech

UltimateIke said:
Almost nobody? Only 1000 Surfing Pikachu were ever given away by Nintendo Power.

I did the Prime Cup way two different times. That was some crazy stuff, since I barely managed to win the last fight or two in that Cup. Forgot what I used other than a Pikachu, Mewtwo, and something else. All I remember was that damn Tauros with EQ.

Gravijah

Boney said:
pretty interesting as in

alphabet

yeah, the alphabet in the pokeworld. they also have puzzles, and tie into a lot of other stuff within the pokeuniverse.

Andrex said:
Minun. Carbon copy of Plusle. Shouldn't exist either.

gimmick pokemon related to double battles.

i mean, phione is an egg you get from a legendary. that does nothing. has worse stats. cannot evolve into manaphy. it just... exists.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DoomXploder7 said:
Man, what the heck were they thinking with phione 4th gen really had some weird ways to obtain a pokemon.

I liked all the weird stuff you had to do, spiced up my Pokemon hunt. But Phione itself is useless. Maybe if it evolved into Manaphy it would have a place...

Forkball

Yeah I like the really creative methods for getting some of the Pokemon in Gen IV and V. I care more about catching and collecting than battling, so I'm glad they aren't neglecting this part of the game. But yeah, getting Phione is just crazy.

upandaway

Phione was okay. I still got him. Feebas is the only Pokemon I never legitimately caught on my own (got traded one long ago).

....until I used the rod for the first time in White and and there he fucking was. Casually strolling in the lake. I nearly had a heart attack.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
upandaway said:
Phione was okay. I still got him. Feebas is the only Pokemon I never legitimately caught on my own (got traded one long ago).

....until I used the rod for the first time in White and and there he fucking was. Casually strolling in the lake. I nearly had a heart attack.

Yeah that was the biggest troll ever. Feebas has got to have had the biggest fall from rarity ever. :p

Had to get mine off the GTS originally too.

upandaway said:

I actually found the correct tile to fish for Feebas quickly enough to catch it myself in Emerald and not give up. It was a pleasant surprise.

I like fishing for Dragonite in B/W. Blew my mind when I found out about it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Getting a Vespiquen is cake after you've done a few rounds of Nature/IV breeding.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
The early anime did an excellent job of building the world of Pokémon.

Yup. I still wonder how things would have turned out if it followed Adventures though. Recent games have been influenced a bit by the anime, would have been interesting to see what that would have been like if Adventures was the one influencing.

Top Bottom