• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Andrefpvs

Okay PokéFriends, I will soon get a hold of Pokémon FireRed, Ruby and the Gamecube games so I can finally play Gen III from start to finish (never really owned the games myself, so I kinda jumped from II to IV).

Now my question for you is: what should I absolutely do here that would benefit me in Gen V or is exclusive to these games? The kind of information I'm looking for is, for example, Gen III is the only place to get a Mewtwo with Selfdestruct, or a Surfing Pikachu with Volt Tackle, stuff like that.

What would be your suggestions? Thanks :)

Izayoi

Banned
You'll need to make sure you get the Regitrio.

If you have access to someone who pre-ordered Pokémon Colosseum, you can also get a couple Jirachi. If you're buying the game, try and get the "Bonus Disc".

Wiseblade

Andrefpvs said:
Okay PokéFriends, I will soon get a hold of Pokémon FireRed, Ruby and the Gamecube games so I can finally play Gen III from start to finish (never really owned the games myself, so I kinda jumped from II to IV).

Now my question for you is: what should I absolutely do here that would benefit me in Gen V or is exclusive to these games? The kind of information I'm looking for is, for example, Gen III is the only place to get a Mewtwo with Explosion, or a Surfing Pikachu with Volt Tackle, stuff like that.

If at all possible, get Emerald instead of Ruby.

Andrefpvs

Izayoi said:
You'll need to make sure you get the Regitrio.

If you have access to someone who pre-ordered Pokémon Colosseum, you can also get a couple Jirachi.

Oh good call, I think the person I'll buy Colosseum from also has the bonus disc! Thanks for reminding me!

Wiseblade said:
If at all possible, get Emerald instead of Ruby.

I may get Emerald later on if I find a good deal, but for now Ruby comes practically free with the stuff I'm purchasing, so I'll be playing that.

I'm just paranoid about missing good Gen III exclusive moves and Pokémon since I'm moderately ignorant about this generation.

Izayoi

Banned
Guys. Guys.

bw4-dark-rush-darkrai-ex.jpg

Also.

61-gigalith.jpg
64-conkeldurr.jpg

Wiseblade said:
RSE soundtrack time!
You could have just typed "meh," and everyone would have known you were talking about RSE's soundtrack. :p

Not to say they're all terrible compositions; I think the GBA hardware is partly at fault. Nothing is memorable out of anything you posted except Surf, but, you know, half of the map IS water.

On the plus side, remakes with remixed music will probably be much better.

Wichu

TCG power creep :(

Base set Ninetales used to be awesome - 80 damage for 4 energy and only 1 discard. Now we have insane stuff like Terrakion - a basic Pokémon with 130HP and 90 damage for 3 energy and no drawback.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
we talked a bit about hgss vs gsc and gsc was considered better. in fact, most gsc songs are better than their hgss counterparts.

Bull. Crap.

No, no no. Absolutely, 100% wrong.

SS Aqua is just too jamming in HGSS, GSC is just so wimpy by comparison.

Ditto for basically every theme. Chunes are fantastic, but an actual fake electronic guitar and keyboard suit the songs much better.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Andrefpvs said:

Now my question for you is: what should I absolutely do here that would benefit me in Gen V or is exclusive to these games? The kind of information I'm looking for is, for example, Gen III is the only place to get a Mewtwo with Selfdestruct, or a Surfing Pikachu with Volt Tackle, stuff like that.

As for Surfing Pikachu, you have to ditch Surf in order to transfer it to BW. Sucks I know. :(

Anth0ny

Andrex said:
Bull. Crap.

No, no no. Absolutely, 100% wrong.

SS Aqua is just too jamming in HGSS, GSC is just so wimpy by comparison.

Ditto for basically every theme. Chunes are fantastic, but an actual fake electronic guitar and keyboard suit the songs much better.

uuuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The new SS Aqua isn't bad, but I definitely prefer the original.

And if you like HGSS Ecruteak better than the original... eww. They totally ruined that song. Thank God for GB player.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
KGaqt.png

Omg, this character of the day for today's dubbed ep was voiced by Vic Mignona.

Sorry, I have a sort of fan twitch whenever that happens. Apparently he was the professor in A UFO for Elgyem but I forgot.

TPC dub is now officially > the 4kids dub

Anth0ny said:
uuuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The new SS Aqua isn't bad, but I definitely prefer the original.

And if you like HGSS Ecruteak better than the original... eww. They totally ruined that song. Thank God for GB player.

Songs which are better in HeartGold/SoulSilver compared to Gold/Silver/Crystal:

Off the top of my head.

Not to mention is actually has different music for the three dog battles, and added music for the Safari Zone and the Pokeathlon, and stuff like that.

Lavender Town remains creepy no matter which version I listen to.
And I think what makes me prefer some of the original versions to the newer ones is the way the buildups sound.
In the sense that the music isn't as fleshed out and only has the GBC sounds to work with.
(not sure if that makes any sense at all lol)

Like the champion theme in the original was just awesome because of how it starts, then slowly builds up with just single notes in the beginning if you know what I mean.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think the buildup in the HGSS one is a bit better because it's quieter and more subtle, which betrays the onslaught of great music to come. But for that specific track, I do get what you're saying about the original.

Gravijah

champion theme from hgss better than gsc? you're out of your mind. i was really disappointed with that arrangement. i was looking forward to what they could do with it and... :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
champion theme from hgss better than gsc? you're out of your mind. i was really disappointed with that arrangement. i was looking forward to what they could do with it and... :/

I looooved the new intro. The rest was decent. The problem with both versions is it's too quick to loop, which is unfortunate. I think the RBY/FrLg champ theme lasts longer before it loops, which is a shame because GSC/HgSs's is better. Couldn't sustain that awesomeness for very long it seems.

Been watching a few old episodes of the anime. Good Lord, aside from the league, that region was a pile of shit, anime wise. SO MUCH FILLER.

The movies were pretty good, mind. Kind of have the urge to do a movie marathon now...

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
I looooved the new intro. The rest was decent. The problem with both versions is it's too quick to loop, which is unfortunate. I think the RBY/FrLg champ theme lasts longer before it loops, which is a shame because GSC/HgSs's is better. Couldn't sustain that awesomeness for very long it seems.
NO.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:

Uh yes, how is this even an argument? Lance/Red's theme is legendary. I didn't even remember what Blue's was until someone posted a link on GAF a year ago.

Top Bottom