• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Prepare to be surprised.

Why? We can be fairly certain that any games that come out next year will not be coming to the DS, so the normal length of a generation is going to be cut short anyway. It's possible for RSE remakes to be the first on the 3DS, I suppose, but I don't think it's likely; I reckon the most likely options are either no RPGs next year, or Sixth Gen on the 3DS.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd say gen six starting next year is 50/50, but I can just about guarantee we'll see a gen six pokémon in the next movie.

3DS is fine as it is, even without a new Pokemon title made for it. They're going to need more modelers and visual developers to work on their next title for the 3DS, and I'd imagine they'd be developing an engine right as we speak.

Do we know if it's the remake team working on this? Takao Unno is playing a big part, I know that, but I wonder how they're divvying up members from across the company.

I'd say gen six starting next year is 50/50, but I can just about guarantee we'll see a gen six pokémon in the next movie.

VI gen will be out in the next year holidays in japan, and april/may for us. imho.
Yes and yes.
If nothing else, they need Sixth Gen Pokemon for the next movie because, Genesect aside, they're running out of legendaries to use. They can't even use the Kami's Sacred Beast formes, as the anime is using them in the near future.

Kyzer

Banned
I would imagine that the engine has been in the works long before Game Freak even received their first 3DS dev kits (and they were the first devs to get them), because theres no way they lacked the foresight to see the undertaking that a next gen Pokemon would require. The jump from DS to 3DS in scope should be large, even if that only translates to graphics.

More processing power, too. They won't be able to take full advantage of the platform's capabilities without a lot staff on-board, but the hardware should prevent the next mainline title from being as wretchedly-slow as D/P was.

OMG Aero

Probably an old argument but why is Black/White 2 on the DS instead of the 3DS?
Since they are just reusing the engine and a lot of the assets from Black and White it makes more sense to release it on DS since the system can still handle it and it will sell a hell of a lot more on there.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I've been going for a 646 Pokedex in White, but with BW2 I'm considering stopping and doing it there instead. Once the info on the game comes out, I'll start compiling info on the Dex to make life easier. Like what needs to be traded/transferred and what can be caught in the game.

Boney

Banned
Because GameFreak isn't a very technically advanced studio, this is being made by their remake team anyway, and because GameFreak doesn't give a crap about moving 3DS units.

the myth that gamefreaks is indifferent to everything regarding 3DS ecosystem and they made the call to make DS even though Iwata begged them on his knees to make it a 3DS game is laughable

the myth that gamefreaks is indifferent to everything regarding 3DS ecosystem and they made the call to make DS even though Iwata begged them on his knees to make it a 3DS game is laughable

Didn't you know that Masuda laughed and spat in Iwata's face when he decided to put BW2 on the DS?

Chased him away by throwing 3DS dev kits at him.

Kokonoe

Banned
To be honest, I think only purchased the 3DS for the Zelda bundle. Not that I don't like Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, and Ocarina of Time. It however could use a lot more games.

I like RSE and all, but I'd take anything over RSE remakes for the next games. I just don't think they're necessary yet.
Some would say they aren't necessary at all, even. I'm fine with them going for a new mainline game first, if that works to Nintendo's advantage anyhow (and it probably would). But I do want RSE remakes in Gen 6!

I think that, considering main releases come around 1-2 years after a handheld release, their schedule is fine so far. I'm cool with waiting a bit longer for my 3DS fix.

Anyway, I'm finding my 3DS games fine so far :)

Yeah, I'm alright with BW2 being on DS, but any further would be pushing it too far. Assuming we get a 3DS entry next autumn in Japan, that's 2 and a half years into the 3DS's life; longer than it took for DS to get Diamond and Pearl.

Top Bottom