• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What, you guys still play Tri? I thought I got left behind by taking a break too. Who else still plays?

I haven't played very very recently but that's because of my whole job thing... but now that I don't have a job anymore I should be able to play more. :p Not this coming week though. But after I should be good to go.

I tried getting Billie to play last month but he was like "NO ANDREX I HATE YOU STUPID EXAMS ARE MORE IMPORTANT" and I just assumed it was that time of the month or something and haven't asked to play with him since. :<

Emitan

I haven't played very very recently but that's because of my whole job thing... but now that I don't have a job anymore I should be able to play more. :p Not this coming week though. But after I should be good to go.

I tried getting Billie to play last month but he was like "NO ANDREX I HATE YOU STUPID EXAMS ARE MORE IMPORTANT" and I just assumed it was that time of the month or something and haven't asked to play with him since. :<

I think you're confused, hon.

Gravijah

i used to like the fresh prince until nick@nite did what it does to every show and played it constantly. and i had to watch it constantly because of family members.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Now I can put up with a lot of questionable opinions in this thread (what with their being Digimon and Hoenn fans up in this joint) but did someone really call Partners in Time better than Superstar Saga?

Don't get me wrong now, PiT gets a lot of undeserved hate but man, that shit is just cold.

Magnus

Just finished Platinum for the first time. Now I understand why people were praising B/W's dogshit story for being amazing; it really was in comparison to the turd that was Platinum. Man.

In this post, I reveal I'm playing Pokemon for the wrong reasons. Haha

Boney

Banned
Now I can put up with a lot of questionable opinions in this thread (what with their being Digimon and Hoenn fans up in this joint) but did someone really call Partners in Time better than Superstar Saga?

Don't get me wrong now, PiT gets a lot of undeserved hate but man, that shit is just cold.

I think it was a misunderstanding and he tied it with PM

so it's all peachy

Boney

Banned
Hey guys! I just made a history video on Pokemon Gold/Silver, I thought you guys might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZaINleQU9E

cutting off slowpoke tails and selling them on the black market is a childish prank :/

I disagree on your team rocket analisis, I think they really humanized them, and seeing them struggle and trying to call back their rightful leader was great, especially because he doesn't show up.

Magnus

I think we all have the wrong reasons.

Haha. Indeed.

So, am I losing my mind, or did Nintendo manage to actually ignore Pokemon at E3 in addition to many of its other venerable franchises?

Pokemon seems like one of the only franchises where whoring the name, brand, characters and title-connectivity among multiple games is a GOOD thing that works for both fans and the devs (as a license to print money). Where's the staple console Stadium type game for Gens IV and/or V? Where's a Box type utility game for Gens IV and V?

Goddamn.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Pokemon is always 'ignored' at E3. They only announce stuff we already know. It's too close to NCL's heart to let NOA have a Pokemon exclusive. There's no surprise there.

Hopefully the 3DS / Wii U will have some utility games / apps for Pokemon B/W2, like PokeBox and Stadium titles. But we'll never find that stuff out at E3.

Magnus

Pokemon is always 'ignored' at E3. They only announce stuff we already know. It's too close to NCL's heart to let NOA have a Pokemon exclusive. There's no surprise there.

Hopefully the 3DS / Wii U will have some utility games / apps for Pokemon B/W2, like PokeBox and Stadium titles. But we'll never find that stuff out at E3.

By NCL you mean Nintendo Japan?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yah, Nintendo Co., Ltd.

It's true, the only place I expect to see brand new news pop up goes like:

CoroCoro
TPC/TPCi
Pokemon Smash (footage, usually)
Assorted variety shows (Oha Star and the like)

I like it, keeps things simple. We don't have to worry about some random source scooping it and the associated fake leaks. Right now we just have to deal with fake CoroCoro scans which are usually pretty easy to call.

Well it is Nintendo, in Japan.

You mean Nintendo South Korea?

abasm

I think that Game Freak (in cooperation with the Pokemon Company) has constructed a system in which, between the games and the surrounding media, they can release a steady trickle of announcements year-round, avoiding the need for "megaton" press conferences. The games themselves are full of secrets that require developer intervention to be unlocked legitimately, often at events that coincide with anime film releases.

Wiseblade

I think that Game Freak (in cooperation with the Pokemon Company) has constructed a system in which, between the games and the surrounding media, they can release a steady trickle of announcements year-round, avoiding the need for "megaton" press conferences. The games themselves are full of secrets that require developer intervention to be unlocked legitimately, often at events that coincide with anime film releases.
It's a self sufficient promotional cycle, completely independent of the gaming industry's major events.

abasm

It's a self sufficient promotional cycle, completely independent of the gaming industry's major events.

Were it not for Nintendo's co-ownership of the franchise, then they could probably get away with releasing a game system that only played Pokemon games, exclusively.

It really is an incredible system they've developed for well over a decade in terms of building hype. The monthly Coro Coro reveals and the constant tantalising on Smash, coupled with the self-perpetuating advertising machine that is the anime, means that interest in Pokemon is never allowed to drop. It's one of the most meticulously constructed, frankly ingenious marketing strategies I've ever seen.

Of course, when 3DS brings about true DLC and event Pokemon can be genuinely hidden, that'll only strengthen it; we wouldn't be able to second-guess which legendaries go to which movie, and reveals like the Keldeo and Meloetta reveals will be genuine shocks. I think that may actually be the single thing I'm looking forward to the most about the transition to 3DS.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just finished Platinum for the first time. Now I understand why people were praising B/W's dogshit story for being amazing; it really was in comparison to the turd that was Platinum. Man.

I still think Platinum's localization blows Black and White out of the water, though.

I still think Platinum's localization blows Black and White out of the water, though.

Platinum is what happens when your translator is a member of Something Awful.

Black and White's plot is so much better than the rest of the series that it's simply not worth the comparison. Not mindblowing in terms of plotting and dialogue of course, but Black and White were the first time Game Freak gave the remotest shit about the plot.

But Nob's been on since the beginning of the series lol

But really, I don't even notice specifics about localization and whatnot. I did end up liking the greater story focus of BW though, even though I don't usually play for that.
One more week until Pokémon Conquest!

Who's doing the OT?
Kazerei is, apparently.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's been awhile but one of the gen four games was announced more or less at the same time at some western event and in Japan.

Might have even been D/P.

Gen 6 is going to be so good if the 3DS remains unhacked. Real surprises for the first time in the history of the series.

Gravijah

Gen 6 is going to be so good if the 3DS remains unhacked. Real surprises for the first time in the history of the series.

it matters if they put the data on the cart or not. even if the 3ds remains unhacked, if the event legendaries are still on the cart, can't they just dump the cart to a pc and go through the code?

Since people can already read 3DS carts, we'll most likely get the usual info (move changes, dex indices, music, scripts, 3D models ;P), but we might not see hacks like Blaze White until who knows how much later.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, the Keldeo Cover leak (which has been removed) was posted on an official site, so no one actually has the magazine yet it seems. :( Hopefully we start seeing stuff tonight.

Only rumor I've heard is that Ash's new BW rival is a Keldeo using guy named Kaiba. :0

Well, I mean, even ignoring the internet jokes, Platinum is...more lively than Black and White's stilted translation.

Plus I kind of like some of Platinum's story, like the introduction of Handsome, the implied back-story with Charon, and other little things, like Volkner and Flint's relationship. Sure, Black and White had a better immediate story, but I still find DPt more charming overall in its world.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The Movie 14 Victini Wi-Fi event is back on everyone. If you missed it the first time, get it now.

That brings my event total to 4 out of 8.

So, the Keldeo Cover leak (which has been removed) was posted on an official site, so no one actually has the magazine yet it seems. :( Hopefully we start seeing stuff tonight.

Only rumor I've heard is that Ash's new BW rival is a Keldeo using guy named Kaiba. :0

Well, I mean, even ignoring the internet jokes, Platinum is...more lively than Black and White's stilted translation.

Plus I kind of like some of Platinum's story, like the introduction of Handsome, the implied back-story with Charon, and other little things, like Volkner and Flint's relationship. Sure, Black and White had a better immediate story, but I still find DPt more charming overall in its world.

I agree. There is a certain charm to Platinum's story/region which is why I love to revisit it from time to time. Just seemed like it kind of nosedived after you fought in the Distortion World. Yay, we beat Cyrus, we win--oh yea, there still is the Elite Four I suppose (Though taking on Cynthia was great, darn dragon)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Were it not for Nintendo's co-ownership of the franchise, then they could probably get away with releasing a game system that only played Pokemon games, exclusively.

I had an idea for such a thing a while back. Was basically a Gen 5 Pokedex. Could be awesome.

^Fucking lazy Evilmario...
Wait, so will he be getting more than 8 badges now?

gary-oak-badgesrdukh.png

Top Bottom