• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I found a copy of Platinum that I forgot I had, so here I am playing Pokemon for the first time since BW came out. Frickin loooooove it. I inevitably grow bored with the games after beating the Elite Four, but still, it's so fun up to then.

Excited for BW2!

Wichu

How do you get a bulky Gyrados? All of mine die as fast as they can kill...=/

Don't keep it in on Electric moves is a start :p

Gyarados has naturally high Sp. Def, and Intimidate hinders physical attackers. Max out its HP, and it should survive a while. Rapid Spin support is vital to stop repeated switches into Stealth Rock whittling down your health.

MikeMyers

Poison should be Super Effective against Water, water pollution for the win. It should also be SE against Bug, like it was in RBY.

Ice should get another resistance as well

index.php

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
They should just make it that Intimidate lowers both Attack and Special Attack one stage.

Too powerful, like others have said. A special style intimidate would be okay though. But an auto-speed decreasing ability would make me fall in love as well.
Or auto-five turn Trick Room upon switching in, which will never happen. ;_;

Kokonoe

Banned
SEGA Forum fails to disappoint.

nintendo has lost their minds not only they giving up making new pokemon versions but there making a number 2 to black and white they never did that for heartgold soulsilver they never made a 2nd yellow version or made a pokemon red and green 2 so why make black and white 2 not only that but there still worried about the regular ds making the games on there instead of making pokemon black anfd white 2 on the 3ds why make it on the ds and not the 3ds the ds is old outdated and time has passed where we like the 3ds and why is it when we play orginal ds games on the 3ds the colors faded like its the old orginal ds and not sharp color like dsi or ds lite and one more thing is nintendo planing off killing the 3ds cause its got bad times righht now and only good games are games like zelda metal gear resident evil mario kart

In other news, I just remembered the time I had a one on one battle with my level 100 Charizard VS someone else's level 100 Blastoise when Red and Blue were the only versions out.

I managed to go first and land a fissure. I think it started out as a bet I believe.

Is that like one sentence? I'm surprised you even bothered to read that.

In other news, I played Yellow for the first time and had Gary shove me out of the way and take the Pokemon that Oak was going to give me. Good ol' Gary.

Kokonoe

Banned
Is that like one sentence? I'm surprised you even bothered to read that.

In other news, I played Yellow for the first time and had Gary shove me out of the way and take the Pokemon that Oak was going to give me. Good ol' Gary.

Why yes, yes it is. Here, I made it easier to read.

Nintendo has lost their minds. Not only are they giving up making new Pokemon versions, but they're making a sequel to Black and White. They never did that for HeartGold & SoulSilver, they never made a second Yellow Version 2, or made a Pokemon Red & Green 2, so why make a Black and White 2?

Not only that, but they're still worried about the original DS that they're making the games on there instead of making Pokemon Black & White on the 3DS. Why make it on the DS and not the 3DS? The DS is old, outdated, and time has passed where we would like the 3DS to have it. Why is it when we play original DS games on the 3DS the colors are faded like its the old original DS, and not sharp color like DSi or DSlite?

One more thing. Is Nintendo planning on killing off the 3DS? Cause it's in some bad times right now, and only good games like Zelda, Metal Gear, and Resident Evil, and Mario Kart.

You know, just take a gander at the sprites in Yellow as you progress through the game. They really are great.

MikeMyers

What do you guys think is the hardest PKMN game?

I say Yelllow, especially considering your starter has mediocre stats. That Level 50 Alakazam that Sabrina has is overkill.

Wiseblade

I say Yelllow, especially considering your starter has mediocre stats. That Level 50 Alakazam that Sabrina has is overkill.

Yeah, but you also get all three starters pretty early on. They make the rest of the game a piece of cake.

I would say say Platinum but only because of Cynthia. Because her stupid Garchomp still killed my starter with ease even thought it had like a 10-15 level advantage. G/S were kinda a drag in the middle because the level jump between Clair and the Elite Four was kinda big and it was tough to level up.

Kokonoe

Banned
In Diamond I actually almost lost to Cynthia the first time I battled her because I wasn't aware of what some of her Pokemon's weaknesses were like Lucario. (I tend to stay away from all information about Pokemon games before I play them)

I actually went to psypokes to look at the weakness of Lucario.

I believe I was down to a 30 Gyarados with like 10 HP or so and it was do or die. <- Or was that facing Gold in HeartGold? Not sure.

I'd say original Gold and Silver, due to the incredibly skewed trainer-to-grinding-required ratio and Red, the hardest trainer in the series. I choose G/S over HG/SS because of the lack of a physical/special split, no powerful evolutions for several Pokémon and some poor TMs. Also, Whitney.

Kokonoe

Banned
I never really had that much difficulty with any Gym leader or normal trainers in the Pokemon games. The only challenges I've had are Gary in the original Blue (which I won on first try), Red in Gold, Red in HeartGold, and Cynthia in Diamond.

My usual strategy of creating one super powered Pokemon and catching high level Pokemon on the way usually works out.

My Pokemon aren't drug-abusers. They're straight-edge, thank you very much.

yes.

In Diamond I actually almost lost to Cynthia the first time I battled her because I wasn't aware of what some of her Pokemon's weaknesses were like Lucario. (I tend to stay away from all information about Pokemon games before I play them)

I actually went to psypokes to look at the weakness of Lucario.

I believe I was down to a 30 Gyarados with like 10 HP or so and it was do or die. <- Or was that facing Gold in HeartGold? Not sure.

Really? Lucario was always an easy one to kill for me but usually because I had Infernape or Garchomp on my team (Didn't know how strong he was at the time). Garchomp, Togekiss and Milotic were really annoying to put down.

Kokonoe

Banned
Really? Lucario was always an easy one to kill for me but usually because I had Infernape or Garchomp on my team (Didn't know how strong he was at the time). Garchomp, Togekiss and Milotic were really annoying to put down.

Garchomp was easy to tell the weakness of. Like I said, I don't research the games at all before I play them, so whatever I experience throughout the game I'm caught off guard with.

I picked Turtwig, though. Lucario was easy to down once I knew it's weakness, but it's confusing fighting a Metal/Fighting and not knowing it.

Touche. That was a bit of a weird typing when I first saw it. Wow, Steel/Fighting...that's kind of good actually!

I'm a little confused though...didn't you fight Lucario before? I know Maylene in Sinnoh uses him...or were things different in Diamond?

Kokonoe

Banned
Touche. That was a bit of a weird typing when I first saw it. Wow, Steel/Fighting...that's kind of good actually!

I'm a little confused though...didn't you fight Lucario before? I know Maylene in Sinnoh uses him...or were things different in Diamond?

I won with powerful, not very effective moves.

Top Bottom