• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Firestorm

I think one of my friends said he had a Wish Blissey egg but the IVs are capped at 10 or something? I have no idea how it works. Blissey is less viable in a metagame with a 15 minute time limit.

By competitive Pokemon I also mean event coverage btw ;D I'll be doing my best to get livestreams up during US Nationals next week as well as a live podcast. We'll also be moving over the podcast you may have downloaded a month or two back before I went on vacation.

Actually if that podcast was any indication this won't be about competitive Pokemon at all. We seem to have issues staying on topic.

Speaking of straying off-topic from competitive Pokemon, peer pressure has won and I bought my first three Pokemon booster packs in probably a decade yesterday while I was at a Battle Roads. Was using a borrowed deck and got 15th of 45. I kinda screwed up in that I didn't check my record in the first round so I was recorded as a loss =/ It meant I played weaker opponents than I should have but ended up as a 4-2 even though I only lost once. Super fun though. Next season I'm gonna buy my own cards I think.

New scans for the Pokemon Black & White 2 Super Music Complete! And info!

9eZI5.jpg
dBMtm.jpg

Discs 1 through 3 will be dedicated to music from both Black & White and Black & White 2; Disc 4 will be the "Special Disc", focusing on previously-unreleased music from Emerald and Platinum.

senahorse

My gf is wanting to get a pokemon game for her 3DS and she is pretty keen on getting either White or Black.

She has looked around and found that white may have more pokemon to catch, is this correct?

At the end of the day does it just come down to personal preference, i.e., neither one is really better than the other.

Also she hasn't played a Pokemon game since the original GB, is black or white DS the way to go or should she start with another version?

My gf is wanting to get a pokemon game for her 3DS and she is pretty keen on getting either White or Black.

She has looked around and found that white may have more pokemon to catch, is this correct?

At the end of the day does it just come down to personal preference, i.e., neither one is really better than the other.

Also she hasn't played a Pokemon game since the original GB, is black or white DS the way to go or should she start with another version?

White does indeed contain ~30 more Pokémon than Black does, thanks to the version-exclusive area of White Forest.

If she hasn't played a Pokémon game in a while, then she should play them in this order: Platinum -> HeartGold/SoulSilver -> White.

If she plays them in a different order than the older games will seem outdated and their experiences will be tarnished.

So I finally started playing White (was going to get Platinum, but couldn't find it, so I went with the other suggestion you guys gave me), and I was wondering if anybody had suggestions on which Pokemon would be good to train for my team? I am completely unfamiliar with any past the first two generations.

Right now I have...
Tepig lv. 16
Purrloin lv. 13
Blitzle lv.12
Pansage lv. 14
Audino lv. 15
Pidove lv.14

senahorse

White does indeed contain ~30 more Pokémon than Black does, thanks to the version-exclusive area of White Forest.

If she hasn't played a Pokémon game in a while, then she should play them in this order: Platinum -> HeartGold/SoulSilver -> White.

If she plays them in a different order than the older games will seem outdated and their experiences will be tarnished.

Thanks, we will look into it.

So I finally started playing White (was going to get Platinum, but couldn't find it, so I went with the other suggestion you guys gave me), and I was wondering if anybody had suggestions on which Pokemon would be good to train for my team? I am completely unfamiliar with any past the first two generations.

Right now I have...
Tepig lv. 16
Purrloin lv. 13
Blitzle lv.12
Pansage lv. 14
Audino lv. 15
Pidove lv.14

Audino will soon be of no use to you, and Purrloin is outclassed later in the game. Consider picking up a Scraggy and a Darumaka when you get to Castelia City; they're literally the two most useful Pokémon in the game once they evolve.

Esura

Banned
Booze may or may not only be an in person thing and you may need to purchase it yourself.Legit competitive Pokemon. VGC / GBU. Featuring frequent media content, news, analyses and articles that read like they were written by human beings. Also tutorials by some of the best RNG manipulators in the world.

http://www.nuggetbridge.com/

You can follow on Twitter for now but I'll be definitely telling you guys when it's live =)

Is Pokemon scrubs like me allowed to join?

So will this end up like the SRK of Pokemon?

Audino will soon be of no use to you, and Purrloin is outclassed later in the game. Consider picking up a Scraggy and a Darumaka when you get to Castelia City; they're literally the two most useful Pokémon in the game once they evolve.

Ok, I replaced the Audino and Pidove with a Roggenrola and a Woobat that I picked up and trained to lv. 14. The Purrloin is currently the only thing I have with cut, so I am hanging on to it for now, but I will probably replace it and the Pansage with the two you mentioned when I get there :)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
PokeGAF, I need some consolation tonight.

I never thought that it would happen, but after nearly twelve years and several hundred hours, my Silver cartridge lost its original save. I hadn't reset it once since October 15, 2000 and took every care to ensure that the cartridge was well-kept-for, but the ravages of time still took their toll. Everything, gone. Thr things that gave me pride as a kid like my completed Pokedex, stable of legendaries, boxes of Lv100 monsters, all just memories now.

So I want to take a moment to remember my original team:

MUqdi.png
wjenJ.png
hlgpG.png
oyjmK.png
mpsU4.png
LhAiW.png

And my irreplaceable shinies:

829yg.png
fZis0.png

Thanks, guys, for making my early adolescence bearable :(

I never thought that it would happen, but after nearly twelve years and several hundred hours, my Silver cartridge lost its original save. I hadn't reset it once since October 15, 2000 and took every care to ensure that the cartridge was well-kept-for, but the ravages of time still took their toll. Everything, gone. Thr things that gave me pride as a kid like my completed Pokedex, stable of legendaries, boxes of Lv100 monsters, all just memories now.

MUqdi.png
wjenJ.png
hlgpG.png
oyjmK.png
mpsU4.png
LhAiW.png

829yg.png
fZis0.png

i-know-that-feel-bro.jpg

I myself lost my precious Level 100 shiny Espeon and my Level 100 Feraligatr when my Silver cartridge went kaput. I know it's not the same magnitude as your loss, but the feeling you get upon booting up your game and realizing that your save has been lost to the veins of history simply isn't something that can be put into words.

I send you my condolances in your time of grief, and offer this is memory of your fallen comrades:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw

May they rest in peace.

MUqdi.png
wjenJ.png
hlgpG.png
oyjmK.png
mpsU4.png
LhAiW.png

829yg.png
fZis0.png

I understand. My Crystal cartridge went as well :(

You had a shiny Tangela!

Professor Beef said:
Get a Sandile and pray that it has the Moxie ability. It becomes extremely frightening once it evolves.

What does moxie do?

MikeMyers

R.I.P to your Silver, my Gold died two years ago.

But an end only ensures a new beginning. Heart Gold where Haunter and Gyarados can use their STAB off their better attacking stat automatically makes it superior.

You can always get the battery replaced. Won't be the same obviously but still. I can't say I've had that happen to me but you have my condolences...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-buVQZdlxkDU/T2n8s7qm_pI/AAAAAAAAAAk/2PyfB0B0Us0/s1600/i-know-that-feel-bro.jpg

I myself lost my precious Level 100 shiny Espeon and my Level 100 Feraligatr when my Silver cartridge went kaput. I know it's not the same magnitude as your loss, but the feeling you get upon booting up your game and realizing that your save has been lost to the veins of history simply isn't something that can be put into words.

I send you my condolances in your time of grief, and offer this is memory of your fallen comrades:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw

May they rest in peace.

There's no comparing losses here; we've all lost something that we cared about equally. At least you actually had shinies that were viable in battle!

My team will be sorely missed, though. I am but a scrub player but I put about as much effort and heart as I possibly could into those guys. Playing a little Silver every couple of months was the ability to revisit a wonderland that consumed my life when I was 12 or 13. I can still revisit it, but it won't be the world that I conquered anymore.

I understand. My Crystal cartridge went as well :(

You had a shiny Tangela!

Yeah, had a shiny Tangela ._.
Don't worry, I'm only pretending to be that sad!
Caught in the patch of grass right below Pallet Town. I had no idea why it sparkled or why it was a slightly different color, but I made sure to catch it because it was at least unusual. Caught Donphan at Mt. Silver a few days later. I never had luck with shinies ever again--got a shiny Venonat in LeafGreen and nothing ever again after that.

I must have bad luck with cartridges too because my Silver was the last-surviving of any of my GB carts. My Gold died after only three years or so, Red probably an even shorter time. It hit me hard when Blue went kaput, and I had reset Yellow so many times that when it died the other year I no longer had any attachment.

Aad

My DSi with Pokémon Black was stolen - hundreds of hours of playing, tons of event only legendaries, 80% of 649 pokemon obtained with all the pokemon from all the previous games that I could transfer. All gone :'(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ok, I replaced the Audino and Pidove with a Roggenrola and a Woobat that I picked up and trained to lv. 14. The Purrloin is currently the only thing I have with cut, so I am hanging on to it for now, but I will probably replace it and the Pansage with the two you mentioned when I get there :)

Pidove / Unfezant is not useless, if you really like the Pokemon. In fact, I would find it much more usable than Woobat / Swoobat in game because it's slightly bulkier (than the wet paper bag defenses of Swoobat) and has higher attack. Of course, Swoobat is usable and Psychic / Flying offers some cool STABs and gives it a decent movepool.

But in game is pretty simple and BW offers Pokemon throughout that are mostly good. There are far fewer garbage Pokemon, for in game purposes at least, in your play through. But there are a number of really really powerful in-game Pokemon that you'll find along the way.

Pidove / Unfezant is not useless, if you really like the Pokemon. In fact, I would find it much more usable than Woobat / Swoobat in game because it's slightly bulkier (than the wet paper bag defenses of Swoobat) and has higher attack. Of course, Swoobat is usable and Psychic / Flying offers some cool STABs and gives it a decent movepool.

But in game is pretty simple and BW offers Pokemon throughout that are mostly good. There are far fewer garbage Pokemon, for in game purposes at least, in your play through. But there are a number of really really powerful in-game Pokemon that you'll find along the way.

I'm not really all that enthusiastic about the bird. I like that the bat is part psychic, though that type seems to be far less powerful than in the old games. It really is terrible in regards to defense, though.

MikeMyers said:
Smogon's In-Game tiers for Black & White

Thank you!

Top Bottom