• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Are fighting types useful throughout the whole game, or just for the second gym? I seem to recall that they were awful in red/blue.

They are good, and there are plenty of really good ones (Sawk, Scrafty, Conkledurr, Mienshao and the trio) in BW. Generally, it's a good STAB and most Fighting types have access to lovely Close Combat. Pick any one of the before mentioned and you can't go wrong. It's basically choosing which secondary typing you'd prefer.

The only fighting type I have run into yet is Throh. I have been training the one I have up a bit in anticipation for the second gym.

BTW, thank you for the info, everyone :)

Kokonoe

Banned
just use the pokemon you like

it's simple

my team.

KQB1s.png

MikeMyers

just use the pokemon you like

it's simple

Yeah, I used Beedrill in Red and Butterfree in Blue and it was a lot fun.

Beedrill is underrated in-game in RB. The instant he gets Twineedle, he can easily grind against Erika's whole gym (keep in mind Bug is SE against Poison in Gen I) and remains useful because of all the damn Poison types you have to fight.

E4 he kinda useless, but he beats Gary's Exeggutor and does pretty well against Bruno if you give him the Mega Drain TM to beat Onix.

Kokonoe

Banned
When it comes to the games themselves, I don't have issues with using the Pokemon I personally like. The only time where it matters is when I battle actual players.

Good thing Gyarados is one of the Pokemon I like, though.

D-Pad

What if one likes zubat and poochyena the most? Are they doomed and forever bound to Pokecontests and Poketheatre and Pokewood because their favorites can't survive a Gyarados' thrash in-battle? For the same reasons one doesn't choose Pichu in a serious Melee competition but only in fun bouts between friends, there are certain Pokemon destined to never be EV trained for anything other than boredom and practical jokes. Woe to those who truly believe that they can win with their favorites, even in the main quests. He who's enthralled by Rattata's purple hide. She who fell in love with the cries of Minun and Plusle as they cheer each other on in battle. My heart aches for them. May Game Freak hear our prayers.

Kokonoe

Banned
What if one likes zubat and poochyena the most? Are they doomed and forever bound to Pokecontests and Poketheatre and Pokewood because their favorites can't survive a Gyarados' thrash in-battle? For the same reasons one doesn't choose Pichu in a serious Melee competition but only in fun bouts between friends, there are certain Pokemon destined to never be EV trained for anything other than boredom and practical jokes. Woe to those who truly believe that they can win with their favorites, even in the main quests. He who's enthralled by Rattata's purple hide. She who fell in love with the cries of Minun and Plusle as they cheer each other on in battle. My heart aches for them. May Game Freak hear our prayers.

They could always do Pokemon balance patches for the next game.

Alternative is to make a fan-hack and find people who will play it.

Frost_Ace

crobat is fucking awesome in-game u.u

Ondore

So PokeGaf, I seek some advice.

My nephew's turning 7 next month and I figure it's about time he gets on the Poke-train. Would it be better to start him with Platinum, Black or White?

Platinum means he won't be as disappointed with other Pokemon games he might play afterwards, compared to if he had played B/W first (and, consequently, had soaked up all of the wondrous advances and features found in B/W). Plus: theres's a nice, conventional feel to Platinum that's not present in B/W, and it's got a lot of content as well. So try that!

Then HG/SS, then B/W. Of course, though, you can always show him the older stuff before getting to B/W.

Start him off with Blue! That way he'll get to experience the graphical upgrades in order. Not to mention the addition of new pokemon with each generation. And also because Blue is awesome.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So PokeGaf, I seek some advice.

My nephew's turning 7 next month and I figure it's about time he gets on the Poke-train. Would it be better to start him with Platinum, Black or White?

I entirely disagree with the above. Start him on Black and White. They're the best titles in the series. They look the best, the UI moves along mostly quickly in comparison to previous generation, and the gameplay in a playthrough is pretty well balanced; Most Pokemon you come across are usable, there are no nightmare Gym Battles for new players, and you have access to a ton of Pokemon.

If he really enjoys it, going back to my HG/SS, or Platinum won't kill him. But I'd start him with the best to give him a good impression and by the time BW2 is out, he might be able to slide right into it.

lol. 'start them off with inferior titles because they won't appreciate them later'. I just can't get behind that.

I do think Black or White are the answer. They were explicitly designed to get new fans into the series, and they do a much better job of explaining the fundamentals than any other recent game. The all-new Pokédex gives it a sense of being a clean break, too.

lol. 'start them off with inferior titles because they won't appreciate them later'. I just can't get behind that.
Fair enough, I just think he'll be less inclined to play the older versions if he plays B/W first. Also not totally inferior :p that old music man

edit: but if you're set on starting with the newer game I agree, start with B/W as they're newbie friendly and then go back to Platinum or HG/SS.

I'm thinking a mid-range title like R/S/E and/or FR/LG would be best. Lot of style in those Gen 3 games, but still in an area of Pokemon game history that allows more flexibility in where to go next.

J@hranimo

Banned
I would say Emerald, but the physical/special split didn't occur until 4th gen :/. I say Black/White just for the sake of the times and then they can get pumped up for B2/W2 later this year.

Nostalgia says he should start with FireRed/Leaf Green so he can start to experience each generation of Pokemon...and that first journey through the Pokemon world was a memorable one but Platinum is a fine start. HG/SS are good but that level jump from the eighth gym to the Final Four may be a little rough but it also does offer a lot of post game content (If you consider everything after Lance post game content). Then he could move on to Black/White or maybe even BW2 if they're out by then.

Yeah: mid-range would be best for him. Either extreme of the series, at the moment, would probably just lead to some form of disappointment, either in the originals or with everything else.

Kokonoe

Banned
I appreciate the speed of the battling in Black and White, although in comparison to the other games, not much else. At least as a major point. I think battling could be faster, they should give us an option to set the pace.

MikeMyers

How would you rank the Elite 4 from easiest to hardest?

1.) Marshall (Fighting)
2.) Caitlinn (Psychic)
3.) Grimsley (Dark)
4.) Shantal (Ghost)

I always fight them in that order, too.

How would you rank the Elite 4 from easiest to hardest?

1.) Marshall (Fighting)
2.) Caitlinn (Psychic)
3.) Grimsley (Dark)
4.) Shantal (Ghost)

I always fight them in that order, too.

Mine's the exact opposite order from yours. Since literally 2/3rds of my team (Scrafty, Bisharp, Zoroark, Krookodile) was Dark-type on my first playthrough, Marshall made my life more difficult than it needed to be. It didn't help that his stupid Sawk won't go down in one hit to my Archeops' Acrobatics thanks to Sturdy and could OHKO it with a Stone Edge. The other three are a cakewalk for me, though. Scrafty tanks 'em like a boss.

I try to never to have more than one of each type on my team, and I try to get as many double-types as possible. My Black team at the end was: Emboar, Galvantula, Hydreigon, Carracosta, Swoobat and Simisage.

MikeMyers

Mine's the exact opposite order from yours. Since literally 2/3rds of my team (Scrafty, Bisharp, Zoroark, Krookodile) was Dark-type on my first playthrough, Marshall made my life more difficult than it needed to be. It didn't help that his stupid Sawk won't go down in one hit to my Archeops' Acrobatics thanks to Sturdy and could OHKO it with a Stone Edge. The other three are a cakewalk for me, though. Scrafty tanks 'em like a boss.

My team at the time was: Serperior, Throh, Krookodile, Jellicant, Chandelere.

I beat his Throh with Coil + Aerial Ace, and thought I was going to sweep his whole team, but his Mienshao got a critical hit U-Turn. Thank god my Throh tanked everything and Revenged them all to death.

In the rematch I used Dragon Dance Gyarados to sweep, I got so lucky that Waterfall caused a Flinch on the Blue guy because he survived thanks to Sturdy.

It just hit me how easily Scrafty could deal with the Elite Four. Sure simplifies matters when you got one guy who could take on 75 percent of the Elite Four by himself.

Yes I'm dumb.

Top Bottom