• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Andrefpvs

Guys I need your help. Is there any way I can contact the people responsible for the English translation of Pokémon games?

I assume it's some department over at The Pokémon Company International, but I wonder how easy it would be to ask a question from them, make a request, or leave feedback.

The game credits list these people:
http://i.imgur.com/YO7r8.png

Has anyone ever successfully contacted them?

Well first you fill out a support ticket which gets looked at by generic customer service staff then you'll have to escalate to get it to someone who knows what they're talking about.

A support ticket? You mean at pokemon.com?

I'm doing a lot of things these days. It isn't that easy to sit down and write about stuff you aren't sure about. Neither is it a good idea, since I like to know what I'm talking about in this case.

Okay: I just realized why the new ending theme for B2/W2 is as awesome as it is. The chord changes in the progression, and the whole nature of the piece in general, remind me of Kirby's Dream Land 3's good ending theme. Similarities to both the R/S ending theme and this Kirby track just abound through the new ending song. I love it.

beje

Banned
Ugh, I just noticed that Pokécheck (and other GTS spoofs I've checked too just in case) refuses to work with my parents' network. It's like DNS settings in the console are always overridden by the router or something like that. I guess I'll have to postpone breeding until I'm back home ._.

It's kind of annoying because I'm rocking exactly the same ISP and router model at home so I don't know where the problem is.

Okay, I'd like to say something. This is a Pokemon Community thread, and what's been going on the past two pages is something I would not expect to see in such a thread.

There is a time and a place for whatever conversation this is, but I don't believe treating this thread as a chat room for distasteful conversation is proper. It's very unappealing to come into this thread and see fixation on characters, and it's probably a bit immature too.

I apologize if this sounds rude, but I mean what I say.

whWwN.jpg

MikeMyers

I know you guys are getting annoyed by the PokeGirls discussion, but there is seriously something I wanted to point out.

In Red, Blue, Yellow (not the pansy remakes), SABRINA HAS A WHIP!

WTF was up with that? Those Abras probably want through some terrible punishment when they didn't listen to Sabrina.

Kokonoe

Banned
I know you guys are getting annoyed by the PokeGirls discussion, but there is seriously something I wanted to point out.

In Red, Blue, Yellow (not the pansy remakes), SABRINA HAS A WHIP!

WTF was up with that? Those Abras probably want through some terrible punishment when they didn't listen to Sabrina.

I'd say getting electrocuted, burned, poisoned, and frozen is a lot worse than being lashed with a whip.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pokémon threads are usually pretty tame so long as no one start linking from Poke Sho.

It just goes downhill from there if they do.

Poke Sho? Dare I ask? Or even google it?
Pokesho is a site for various Pokemon-related works, hosting a variety of artwork in the style of the anime, as well as other creative stuff (pixel art, 4koma, and so on). The nature of said art varies from completely clean to, uh...yeah.
Example:

o_subway_111201mc3i6.png

Also notable in hosting Type:Wild, the fighting game that you may have seen here and there.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
OKay question time!

I wanna get my husband to play a pokemon game. But unsure of which one I should get him to play out of Diamond, gold or black.
Right now I have him lined up with gold (since I am playing black right now) But black has more of an interesting story and he likes stories in games.

And for the life of me I canny remember if there is much of a story in Gold. But it does have a bunch of post game content...

Maybe I should play gold and he play black? Or just cough up the dough for a copy of white and hope I can find a way to justify it on our budget :p

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
I wasn't being serious.

Okay people so let's talk Pokemon. Top five bird Pokemon!

1. Farfetch'd
2. Rufflet
3. Piplup
4. Articuno
5. Fearow

OMG I LOVE BIRD POKEMANS

1: Archeops (its an ancient bird It counts!)
2: Pidgeott (the original epic)
3: Togekiss (Its a bird it has feathers!)
4: Arcticuno <3
5: Skarmory :D

OKay question time!

I wanna get my husband to play a pokemon game. But unsure of which one I should get him to play out of Diamond, gold or black.
Right now I have him lined up with gold (since I am playing black right now) But black has more of an interesting story and he likes stories in games.

And for the life of me I canny remember if there is much of a story in Gold. But it does have a bunch of post game content...

Maybe I should play gold and he play black? Or just cough up the dough for a copy of white and hope I can find a way to justify it on our budget :p

If you care about being able to trade with him, then get him White. Gold/Silver can't interact with Black/White besides sending the Pokemon from the former into the latter.

There is a story in Gold but it dies after the Radio Tower incident. There is a bunch of post game content, an entire region in fact. I'd choose Black because if he was interested in the story, it's much better in Black and he gets to experience the newest Pokemon game.

Diamond? Ewww, go with Platinum if need be, it's much improved over Diamond and Pearl. And it's probably the best Pokemon game (imo).

OKay question time!

I would say go with Pokemon Platinum instead of Diamond, since it's completely better and all.

If he wants to get up to speed on new stuff, then go Pt -> HG -> BW. If he wants to transition from playing old games to new, then HG -> Black. If he wants to just jump into new stuff, story and etc. go with Black first (and then BW2 months later, heh), but just note that it's hard to go back to earlier games after playing BW, because of how much better they are speed/mechanic wise (infinite TMs plays a good part in this, as well as the battle speed which is much faster and smoother).

Kokonoe

Banned
I'd honestly suggest getting either Diamond or Pearl than Platinum because Platinum cranks up the difficulty. Also the story is a little worse.

Firestorm

OKay question time!

HeartGold? Or Gold? HeartGold is a decent game to start with. Otherwise just grab him White or get him into Black. I found Gen 4 fun because I came back to it after so long, but it's not anything special. Playing Black or White also sets up better for BW2. Pokemon releases every year can burn a person out so don't expect him to play through 3 titles in a row imo.

I'd honestly suggest getting either Diamond or Pearl than Platinum because Platinum cranks up the difficulty. Also the story is a little worse.

Really? I actually thought that Platinum was easier than DP due to the wider variety of usable Pokémon and the de-levelling of most of the Gym Leader's and Elite Four's Pokémon (i.e. Cynthia's Garchomp is Level 66 in DP and only 62 in Platinum). My Hall of Fame team in Pearl were all in the mid-to-high 60's whereas my Platinum team's highest level was only 57.

Kokonoe

Banned
Really? I actually thought that Platinum was easier than DP due to the wider variety of usable Pokémon and the de-levelling of most of the Gym Leader's and Elite Four's Pokémon (i.e. Cynthia's Garchomp is Level 66 in DP and only 62 in Platinum). My Hall of Fame team in Pearl were all in the mid-to-high 60's whereas my Platinum team's highest level was only 57.

The AI is smarter in Platinum and tends to heal their Pokemon a lot more.

Kokonoe

Banned
Is it because the AI is smarter or that they stuff them with too many healing items (I'm looking at you Elite Four and Cynthia)?

It's kinda funny in a way because you can down their HP again and again and if you don't do it fast enough, you're eventually going to lose if you don't have items yourself.

The best way which isn't always the most viable way is to do a powerful attack when they're low orange.

But yeah, NPCs have infinite healing items. And ever since Platinum, they've been using them more frequently.

Yea it seemed your only hope was to just knock them out in one hit (Very possible for the Elite Four, not so much for Cynthia).

You know what Dark types need? A move where it does extra damage if an opponent is trying to use a healing move/item on its Pokemon! (Yes I'm kidding...mostly)

AJSousuke

OKay question time!

have him played a Pokemon game before?
I think you should give Gold, that way if he likes it i'm sure he will love Black/White for all the new things it has (more story, better graphics, etc)

Yea it seemed your only hope was to just knock them out in one hit (Very possible for the Elite Four, not so much for Cynthia).

You know what Dark types need? A move where it does extra damage if an opponent is trying to use a healing move/item on its Pokemon! (Yes I'm kidding...mostly(

A) My Porygon-Z OHKO'd four of Cynthia's Pokémon (Garchomp, Togekiss, Roseraid, and Spiritomb [lucky crit]) with Choice Specs-enhanced Ice Beam. Nothing's impossible with the right Pokémon.

B) Yes, that would be the proverbial bomb. Any strong Dark-type moves would be much appreciated, considering we only really have a few (Taunt, Crunch, Dark Pulse, etc.)

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
HeartGold? Or Gold? HeartGold is a decent game to start with. Otherwise just grab him White or get him into Black. I found Gen 4 fun because I came back to it after so long, but it's not anything special. Playing Black or White also sets up better for BW2. Pokemon releases every year can burn a person out so don't expect him to play through 3 titles in a row imo.

Yep, HeartGold. Sorry should have specified!

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! I never bought Pt... Only diamond (the UI in that game made me rage! I traded some pokemon from Hgold to Diamond and I wanted to throw my DS going from black/HG to that UI :p

I'ma have a look for some copies of white online. But will probably give him HGold to play cause AJSousuke made a very good point about having him look forward to playing black if he likes it :3

On a side note... I'm super enjoying my second run through black. Finding new areas that I completely forgot to explore the first time through; (Wellspring cave and the islands of the coast of the starter town)
I'm on the way to the E4 with my team at a cosy lvl 52. I swapped my Krokorok for Golurk, so there was a bit of downtime to get him caught up with the rest of the team, but now I finally have my ghost type :3
Thanks to all who helped my pick my team earlier, this has been super fun and found myself some new favourites :D

Kokonoe

Banned
A) My Porygon-Z OHKO'd four of Cynthia's Pokémon (Garchomp, Togekiss, Roseraid, and Spiritomb [lucky crit]) with Choice Specs-enhanced Ice Beam. Nothing's impossible with the right Pokémon.

The way you battled the elite four is as if you were training like Rocky Balboa.

Top Bottom