• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Kokonoe

Banned
Mo'
Poke-dollar.gif
Mo' Pokémon.

Ahem.

Around here, transactions are made with
Poke-dollar.gif
There are a wide range of different currencies here on GAF. Gold, zenny, Pokedollars™—official transactions are always made with Pokedollars™ here, but that doesn't mean all transactions here are made with the same currency, nor are they official. There's a lot of cross-over, is what I'm saying.

Monopoly Money™ would be a derogative way to describe this whole business.

There are a wide range of different currencies here on GAF. Gold, zenny, Pokedollars™—official transactions are always made with Pokedollars™ here, but that doesn't mean all transactions here are made with the same currency, nor are they official. There's a lot of cross-over, is what I'm saying.

Naw dawg, I don't want no GAF Gold!

Is that your Dream World ability, Beef? For that matter: I never saw you on my Pokedex before. Now that I do, here's a question for you—do you like Pokeballs?

On another note:
Since the Community forum is a mix of gaming and non-gaming discussion, I would say it's perfectly acceptable to discuss the anime in this thread, especially since the anime is a major part of the franchise.
Should we amend this part of the OP when the second |OT| comes around? It's technically out-of-date.

Sure but no one has had an issue discussing the anime in here at all.

Annnnd I'll be starting my White save soon but will anyone be able to trade me a Farfetch'd and a Lotad? Both males would be fine.

Is that your Dream World ability, Beef? For that matter: I never saw you on my Pokedex before. Now that I do, here's a question for you—do you like Pokeballs?

On another note:Should we amend this part of the OP when the second |OT| comes around? It's technically out-of-date.

This thread/community is kinda "grandfather claused", I dont even know what would happen once we reach OT2, technically we have the OT's for the current pokemon games already, so technically this thread is and always was for general and non-gaming pokemon related talk...

You ever wonder how Pokémon mythology works? I mean, you have Pokémon like
7Elf9zaEn0WHzzglMQMh8w2.png

who seems to have the same role in the mythology as Kyogre. Do you think that every region has its own mythology (a là Norse and Greek, par example), or that they're all connected in one massively convoluted legend?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Triple types would fix everything.

Obviously the legends are based on which Pokemon are local to which region, however I do believe that they all interact on a series-wide scale.

who seems to have the same role in the mythology as Kyogre. Do you think that every region has its own mythology (a là Norse and Greek, par example), or that they're all connected in one massively convoluted legend?

Or it's mostly superstitious stories and they're just really rare Pokemon.

Sometimes, when I'm dreaming, I just excuse all of the legendary convolution as the result of scientific meddling. Because, in my mind, Pokemon were this scientific creation that originated in Japan, with every new Pokemon springing forth from genetic manipulation of Mew, a mere scientific creation. From the moment these experiments ran amuck, everything changed—the world practically got wiped over, and those humans who remained the Pokemon world we see today. The origin stories? An elaborate global conspiracy, with both the legends and the mythic locations being fabricated!

Who am I kidding. I just wish that the whole post-Hiroshima stylization in R/G/B were more elaborated upon in these games. Because I think that those games still represented a lot of mystery of scientific power, and they provided a sort-of fictionalization of the new latter-half Japan that came about post-MacArthur.

tl;dr Pokemon should be about some world-government cover-up of a global Pokemon disaster, involving super-powerful and unique Pokemon ripping apart both Western and Eastern society and resulting in a post-apocalyptic new global society that can only exist with the ability to use Pokeballs.

I can dream. Or! I could write fan-fiction, a task I find unappealing and would make for poor publicity.

Kokonoe

Banned
Either with each Generation of Pokemon GameFreak decided to stop caring about the story and just wing it, or certain Pokemon are higher ranking than others.

I'd see Lugia as higher ranking than Kyogre.

I think they're just winging it, to be honest. They only really began to care for a consistent, interesting plot with B/W and B2/W2. Every other game, though, it was all about the set-pieces.

MikeMyers

7Elf9zaEn0WHzzglMQMh8w2.png

He should really be Water/Flying.

Then again, that would make him lesser of a wall.

Kokonoe

Banned
Speaking of which, I'd like to bring up something I've never discussed with anyone.

My first reaction to the idea of Arceus in this series was that it was a rather poor decision. I guess more so because it was one of the most ridiculous ways of just taking the past stories and lore and tarnishing it.

Now it's not absolutely terrible, but I think it's a bit over the top. I haven't watched the Arceus movie yet, so I'm just stating my initial reaction so many years ago. I think Arceus has an interesting design, and I don't know a too much about it, but maybe perhaps just a silly idea.

Piggybacking on Andrex's idea of triple types, I think it'd be cool if THE legendaries had that, like Arceus, Dialga, Palkia and Giratina. The amount of legendaries has gotten silly. I think it'd work out a little better if you had the ones that are almost considered like deities and then the lesser ones who are less like mythical beasts and just really rare critters.

Speaking of which, I'd like to bring up something I've never discussed with anyone.

My first reaction to the idea of Arceus in this series was that it was a rather poor decision. I guess more so because it was one of the most ridiculous ways of just taking the past stories and lore and tarnishing it.

Now it's not absolutely terrible, but I think it's a bit over the top. I haven't watched the Arceus movie yet, so I'm just stating my initial reaction so many years ago. I think Arceus has an interesting design, and I don't know a too much about it, but maybe perhaps just a silly idea.
The real problem with it is that it's just not that interesting, I think. This kind of lore usually has the benefit of being an object of attention in the daily lives of Pokemon-world people, but it's never presented that way. Nor is the idea of a polytheistic mythology based around big shiny things that appealing in general, because then I just feel betrayed and disappointed, both in the lack of cohesion between each mythology and with the lack of a more interesting history behind the Pokemon world. Using this kind of lore as more of an afterthought is a waste in general.

I honestly think that each mythology is local to each region in particular, and that these legendaries are just super-powerful Pokemon that had a major geographical effect on their respective regions, outside of the ones confirmed to have originated under human supervision. A genuine apocalypse story, a la Little Boy and the nuclear fall-out at the end of WWII, would make so much sense for Pokemon, and it could add a general sinister element to the games that wouldn't be restricted to a one region, like in B/W with the Plasma crisis.

The real problem with it is that it's just not that interesting, I think. This kind of lore usually has the benefit of being an object of attention in the daily lives of Pokemon-world people, but it's never presented that way. Nor is the idea of a polytheistic mythology based around big shiny things that appealing in general, because then I just feel betrayed and disappointed, both in the lack of cohesion between each mythology and with the lack of a more interesting history behind the Pokemon world. Using this kind of lore as more of an afterthought is a waste in general.

I honestly think that each mythology is local to each region in particular, and that these legendaries are just super-powerful Pokemon that had a major geographical effect on their respective regions, outside of the ones confirmed to have originated under human supervision. A genuine apocalypse story, a la Little Boy and the nuclear fall-out at the end of WWII, would make so much sense for Pokemon, and it could add a general sinister element to the games that wouldn't be restricted to a one region, like in B/W with the Plasma crisis.

Yea but do you think they would really go for a story like that? Seems like while on one hand they want to mature the story, they still want to keep it family friendly. And yea I've noticed the lack of cohesion as far as legendaries goes and how it gets worse and worse with each generation, I'm sure they'll soon introduce something that is even more powerful that Arceus or Pokemon that represent an element or force that has already been represented before. Perhaps it's deliberate so new players don't have to deal with backstory?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I mean, Gen 1 does have more references to man-made Pokemon than the other gens I think. Explicitly, Mewtwo and Porygon, and intrinsically, Ditto, Voltorb, and Electrode.

Plus the Fossil Pokemon you get in the game are technically man-made...

Yea but do you think they would really go for a story like that? Seems like while on one hand they want to mature the story, they still want to keep it family friendly. And yea I've noticed the lack of cohesion as far as legendaries goes and how it gets worse and worse with each generation, I'm sure they'll soon introduce something that is even more powerful that Arceus or Pokemon that represent an element or force that has already been represented before. Perhaps it's deliberate so new players don't have to deal with backstory?
I think the best way to do it, if they ever would, is to drop hints and reveal new information throughout each new entry in the main series. This would ensure that the whole backstory is introduced and developed in a way that encourages both interesting bits of dialogue while keeping interest along the game progression. They don't need to make it a central plot point—keeping it as a looming set of experiences that color the world of Pokemon in a new light, though, would do a lot to please those who crave interesting story details. Mainline Pokemon should stick with the champion plot progression—what we've had from the beginning, yet was tampered with in B/W—and string along side-stories that flesh out the world itself. You'll still get the traditional experience, but those stories and episodes on the side would do a lot more for the world-building itself. Not that I wouldn't mind another game less focused on becoming champion, all that said.

Yeah: Gen 1 was heavy on those references. If you take it at face value, even, it feels like a post-MacArthur setting, a re-imagined Japan with creatures of immense power roaming the land.

LeleSocho

Banned
Damn your time zones, every time i go to bed this thread explode with randomness and when i wake up it's all ended :(
I want to be pokèrandom too :(

btw thanks scrafty for that Ursaring :*

I think the best way to do it, if they ever would, is to drop hints and reveal new information throughout each new entry in the main series. This would ensure that the whole backstory is introduced and developed in a way that encourages both interesting bits of dialogue while keeping interest along the game progression. They don't need to make it a central plot point—keeping it as a looming set of experiences that color the world of Pokemon in a new light, though, would do a lot to please those who crave interesting story details. Mainline Pokemon should stick with the champion plot progression—what we've had from the beginning, yet was tampered with in B/W—and string along side-stories that flesh out the world itself. You'll still get the traditional experience, but those stories and episodes on the side would do a lot more for the world-building itself. Not that I wouldn't mind another game less focused on becoming champion, all that said.

Yeah: Gen 1 was heavy on those references. If you take it at face value, even, it feels like a post-MacArthur setting, a re-imagined Japan with creatures of immense power roaming the land.

Keeping it to smaller side stories would probably help. Just didn't want it to become some sort of continuity snarl where they have to smack the reset button because it became all levels of stupid. World building is something I do want them to do more of.

I guess they can keep the Champion plot but I think it'd also be cool if you could end the game any various ways and not just from beating the Champion, like winning a bunch of competitions in the Beauty contest or collecting all the Pokemon or even just stopping the bad guys. Maybe if we get a console entry, we could do all that.

Wiseblade

I'd see Lugia as higher ranking than Kyogre.

What? No way. Lugia may be "guardian" or the seas, but Kyogre is the master. Lugia gets beat down by some dweeb playing with K'Nex, Kyogre's mere presence causes storms, floods and tsunamis to form. Kyogre sleeps because when it wakes, it risks ending the world.

Wiseblade

Genesect existed as a Pokemon before the augmentation, though, so it doesn't quite fit in the Porygon/Mewtwo mold.

Wonder if we'll see an Original Forme Genesect at any point.

There's also the Grimer and Trubbish lines, which are human refuse brought to life. Neither were deliberate, but...

LeleSocho

Banned
Ok what the hell just happened... i was going around when i encountered a Pokémon that i didn't had so i decided to catch it but when i threw my pokèball it made a "SWOOOSH" sound and it only had to tilt one time before catching the Pokémon, when this awesomeness was introduced? in 4th or 5th? and what are the possibilities for it to happen?

Top Bottom