• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Korosenai

Something majestic and beautiful like its first stage, such as:

Krilsparce_by_JESGRAD07.jpg
im-okay-with-this.png

You know: I've never really loved Pokemon themselves, not as much as I love the world of Pokemon and the consequences that the existence of these critters have had on it. I just feel so out-of-place whenever Poke-GAF starts talking about old-Gen evos and other stuff pertaining to Pokes. They're neat, and I have my favorites, but I'll have to agree with Satoshi Tajiri that the more interesting part of the Pokemon world is human culture within it, and the trainers themselves.

That's an interesting take...err who is Satoshi Tajiri? I honestly love both equally, I'm just more prone to talk about Pokemon themselves since...well yea.

OMG Aero

Fun fact for the other two people who use Dream World, I'm pretty sure when it updated they made it so that the Pokemon you tuck in determines the area you go to.
I sent a Cubchoo in today and went to the new Icy Cave area like 6 times out of 7.

Kokonoe

Banned
I tried using the Dream World for the first time the other day. I put the Pokemon to sleep, and checked it 20 or so hours later and it still wasn't in a dream. Don't entirely understand the concept.

beje

Banned
I tried using the Dream World for the first time the other day. I put the Pokemon to sleep, and checked it 20 or so hours later and it still wasn't in a dream. Don't entirely understand the concept.

First of all, you have to go to pokemon-gl.com, create an account and link your game to it. Then you have to follow these steps:

- Wifi -> Game Sync -> put Pokémon to sleep
- Go to the website, log in and go to "Dream World" section
- Screw around planting berries and stuff
- Go to the Rainbow path part of your house and from there to the dream island
- Explore the island playing minigames and stuff, if you manage to befriend a Pokémon, you can transfer it to the game when you finish the island and you're sent to the Tree using a berry. If you don't transfer any Pokémon, you can visit the island again (max between 5-7 times every day)
- Keep doing stuff
- When you're done (remember you just have an hour) click the "OFF" button to log out, chosing the option "Wake up your Pokémon". Once you're done, you cannot play in the web again in 20 hours more or less (you can still visit to check your stats in the random wifi matches)
- Go back to your game and do the Game Sync again.
- Local Wireless -> Entralink -> Go to the forest on the north to capture the pokémon you've transfered

It seems a little convoluted but it's actually pretty straightforward when you understand it.

You know: I've never really loved Pokemon themselves, not as much as I love the world of Pokemon and the consequences that the existence of these critters have had on it. I just feel so out-of-place whenever Poke-GAF starts talking about old-Gen evos and other stuff pertaining to Pokes. They're neat, and I have my favorites, but I'll have to agree with Satoshi Tajiri that the more interesting part of the Pokemon world is human culture within it, and the trainers themselves.

To bad the manga sucks.

I refuse to believe the actual same human being makes both Super Effective and VG Cats.

I mean, I know Pokemon humour is pretty easy, but come on

To bad the manga sucks.
I don't read the manga. Nor do I write fan-fiction, if you were going to insinuate that next.

Wow, do I feel like an idiot. I didn't even know he was responsible for the series. Guess I never looked up that part.
Part of the problem with him is that, honestly, he's not that relevant anymore. Masuda, Morimoto, and Unno are new Pokemon directors post-Tajiri, and Tajiri's been in charge of Game Freak more at a managerial scale, even if he's making the big company decisions. The guy's quite interesting, however, and I hope he pitches in to design future games at Game Freak. They'll always be making Pokemon, but finding time to indulge in other experiments is a very good idea.

Yeah: Scott Ramsoomair isn't that good at doing web-comics. I personally like F@NBOYS a lot because of the character art and genuine thought put into the jokes. Super Effective! is pretty good, and probably the best thing Ramsoomair will ever do at this rate.

Yeah: Scott Ramsoomair isn't that good at doing web-comics. I personally like F@NBOYS a lot because of the character art and genuine thought put into the jokes. Super Effective! is pretty good, and probably the best thing Ramsoomair will ever do at this rate.

F@nboys was awesome until every comic became "HURR DURR NEXT WEEK GUYS I PROMISE". Got dull.

Penny Arcade was always the funniest gaming webcomic, anyway. BitF is most charming.

Kokonoe

Banned
Just got finished playing Pokemon Pinball and it holds up just fine. Red is a bit too hard, but that's due to the placement. Blue is still the enjoyable experience I remember.

I need to get to Mewtwo some day. I think I did once long ago, but I ended up messing it up. Or I may have have not, it's been a while.

F@nboys was awesome until every comic became "HURR DURR NEXT WEEK GUYS I PROMISE". Got dull.

Penny Arcade was always the funniest gaming webcomic, anyway. BitF is most charming.
Sounds like you're just mad at the author. He can get away with it because his comics are still awesome. Ramsoomair can't because, outside of Super Effective!, his stuff just sucks.

No, I was just going to call you weird.
That's correct: I'm "weird". I just watched Harold and Maude for the first time. I no longer think I'm that crazy, you know.

Hahaha, Nuzlocke is fucking great.

Sounds like you're just mad at the author. He can get away with it because his comics are still awesome. Ramsoomair can't because, outside of Super Effective!, his stuff just sucks.

Well yeah, I am, because I like it, but he's not making it anymore really. Actually he's gotten better about actually drawing stuff recently.
Too bad I don't really enjoy the more recent comics.

Can we have a Harold and Maude thread derail?

Boston and Shaun derail takes priority.

Kokonoe

Banned
First of all, you have to go to pokemon-gl.com, create an account and link your game to it. Then you have to follow these steps:

- Wifi -> Game Sync -> put Pokémon to sleep
- Go to the website, log in and go to "Dream World" section
- Screw around planting berries and stuff
- Go to the Rainbow path part of your house and from there to the dream island
- Explore the island playing minigames and stuff, if you manage to befriend a Pokémon, you can transfer it to the game when you finish the island and you're sent to the Tree using a berry. If you don't transfer any Pokémon, you can visit the island again (max between 5-7 times every day)
- Keep doing stuff
- When you're done (remember you just have an hour) click the "OFF" button to log out, chosing the option "Wake up your Pokémon". Once you're done, you cannot play in the web again in 20 hours more or less (you can still visit to check your stats in the random wifi matches)
- Go back to your game and do the Game Sync again.
- Local Wireless -> Entralink -> Go to the forest on the north to capture the pokémon you've transfered

It seems a little convoluted but it's actually pretty straightforward when you understand it.

Thank you for posting this. I didn't realize it required the website to trigger it as well. I'll go try this out now.

beje

Banned
Nothing more satisfying than loging into ranked matches in the Global Terminal, find the usual script kiddie with cloned/hacked/whatever usual suspects and pwning him with a Gastrodon :D

Yeah, see, just dropping a TTGL reference into something just 'coz there's a character with a drill doesn't automatically mean hilarity. That's the trap Family Guy fell into.

Although I did laugh. And I just laughed at the wombo combo reference in Nuzlocke. But you know. Just sayin'.

Yeah, see, just dropping a TTGL reference into something just 'coz there's a character with a drill doesn't automatically mean hilarity. That's the trap Family Guy fell into.

Although I did laugh. And I just laughed at the wombo combo reference in Nuzlocke. But you know. Just sayin'.

Nuzlocke loves to go overboard on references, but what makes them so funny is that most make no sense. Sometimes I think he writes the plot specifically to put well-placed references in.

Nuzlocke loves to go overboard on references, but what makes them so funny is that most make no sense. Sometimes I think he writes the plot specifically to put well-placed references in.

Yeah, it's just some left-field shit. I think the fact it's all punctuated with LOST references that go over my non-LOST-watching head makes it all the better.

Yeah, it's just some left-field shit. I think the fact it's all punctuated with LOST references that go over my non-LOST-watching head makes it all the better.

I was watching LOST during my first read of Nuzlocke, so most of the references were a nice treat. Some of the jokes are just funny in their simplicity, though. The one at the end of yesterday's comic had me laughing out loud.

If Pokegaf made a Pokemon themed comic, what references would we throw in it? Who would be the artist (Chet)? Who would be the writer?

I would love to write for a webcomic, but neither my nor my friends have any artistic talent. I'd probably just make references to classic movies and the sort, so nothing really special.

Esura

Banned
If Pokegaf made a Pokemon themed comic, what references would we throw in it? Who would be the artist (Chet)? Who would be the writer?

I nominate Chet as artist. His stuff is good.

I'd be the writer. I'll have a Pokemon themed comic so awesome even Death Note and Deadman Wonderland fans will blush.

IDK anymore, Chet. We're just winging it at the moment.

What we should do, if we're going to be even the slightest-bit-serious about something like a Poke-GAF comic, is to decide what the hell it should even be about.

I'll suggest this. Gradually introduce each active and (willingly)-participating member of Poke-GAF into a fictitious environment (with fictionalized personalities, to a degree); use the comic as a vehicle to promote both character interaction and both Pokemon- and GAF-related humor; whatever we do, we shouldn't use the comic as a poor excuse to attack others and/or make an example out of Poke-GAF and/or other forum communities, unless it's clearly okay between the affected parties to, say, make fun of Anime-GAF in a slightly-sinister way.

I think it's important to find a balance between Pokemon- and GAF-based humor, at the same time that we remember to be respectful. The other alternative is to just not make a comic. We're probably lazy, irresponsible gamers anyway, lol.

Top Bottom