• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Wiseblade

Ok what the hell just happened... i was going around when i encountered a Pokémon that i didn't had so i decided to catch it but when i threw my pokèball it made a "SWOOOSH" sound and it only had to tilt one time before catching the Pokémon, when this awesomeness was introduced? in 4th or 5th? and what are the possibilities for it to happen?

What you just experienced was a critical capture, introduced in Gen V. It's pretty unlikely, but the odds go up depending on how many Pokémon you have caught in total.

I never really thought of the Pokedex in-game as a reliable source anyway. A lot of the entries are more speculation or mythology about the Pokemon instead of straight facts and some of them are just exaggerations:

Well, do keep in mind that it's usually an 11-year-old who's writing those entries. Black and White's PokéDex entries seem to make more sense and are more plausible; probably due to the older age of the protagonists.

udivision

Well, do keep in mind that it's usually an 11-year-old who's writing those entries. Black and White's PokéDex entries seem to make more sense and are more plausible; probably due to the older age of the protagonists.

Why do people keep saying this?
It's not hinted at in the show or the game that the protagonist are creating the descriptions.
I'm pretty sure all this information is known beforehand, and you're essentially going on a scavenger hunt.

Why do people keep saying this?
It's not hinted at in the show or the game that the protagonist are creating the descriptions.
I'm pretty sure all this information is known beforehand, and you're essentially going on a scavenger hunt.

It's because when you're given your PokéDex, the professor tells you to "fill it out," which implies more than just scanning them and being done with it. Plus, the entries are only filled out upon capture rather than encounter; something that wouldn't happen if they were predetermined. This also explains why entries are different between versions and generations, as different trainers are filling them out. Finally, entries are filled out upon catching Pokémon that the professors couldn't have possibly known about beforehand, which further supports this theory.

Keeping it to smaller side stories would probably help. Just didn't want it to become some sort of continuity snarl where they have to smack the reset button because it became all levels of stupid. World building is something I do want them to do more of.

World-building and the gradual introduction of the theory that Pokemon came from a scientific origin would work out quite well if they can improve their script-writing just a bit, and start introducing more unique side-stories to flesh out characters and the world itself. I know it's possible.

I guess they can keep the Champion plot but I think it'd also be cool if you could end the game any various ways and not just from beating the Champion, like winning a bunch of competitions in the Beauty contest or collecting all the Pokemon or even just stopping the bad guys. Maybe if we get a console entry, we could do all that.
The champion plot progression always works, so it's guaranteed to stay. I suspect that Game Freak will try to find other ways to end the game in future installments, though that'll be dependent on director supervision and where Masuda wants to take the games.

Kokonoe

Banned
What? No way. Lugia may be "guardian" or the seas, but Kyogre is the master. Lugia gets beat down by some dweeb playing with K'Nex, Kyogre's mere presence causes storms, floods and tsunamis to form. Kyogre sleeps because when it wakes, it risks ending the world.

Lugia can fight in and out of water, that alone is more of an advantage. Also, Lugia can control the weather as well.

I'm not talking in-game moves, it has the power to alter the weather. Kyogre can fight out of water?

Kyogre has the power to end the world, which is something that Lugia could only dream of doing (if it wasn't a benevolent Legendary, of course).

To answer your question, Kyogre can fly around when it isn't in the water.

Supporting evidence:

• When you defeat it in R/S/E, the text claims, "Kyogre flew away!"
  • It's clearly shown flying in this trailer for Legends Awakened, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and several pieces of promotional artwork.
  • It is found floating above the ground when fought in Emerald and HeartGold.

Kokonoe

Banned
Kyogre has the power to end the world, which is something that Lugia could only dream of doing (if it wasn't a benevolent Legendary, of course).

To answer your question, Kyogre can fly around when it isn't in the water.

Supporting evidence:

• When you defeat it in R/S/E, the text claims, "Kyogre flew away!"
  • It's clearly shown flying in this trailer for Legends Awakened, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and several pieces of promotional artwork.
  • It is found floating above the ground when fought in Emerald and HeartGold.

The power to end world and defeating Lugia are two different things, though. It's power to end the world is to just eventually flood everything. What's also referenced to the end of the world is Groudon and Kyogre both at the same messing the weather up and causing disturbances consistently with their fighting.

If Lugia can alter the weather as well, I mean don't really see the difference. Now in the event Kyogre just flooded the entire world, that really wouldn't effect Lugia that much. Lugia is also a lot faster than Kyogre.

The power to end world and defeating Lugia are two different things, though. It's power to end the world is to just eventually flood everything. What's also referenced to the end of the world is Groudon and Kyogre both at the same messing the weather up and causing disturbances consistently with their fighting.

If Lugia can alter the weather as well, I mean don't really see the difference. Now in the event Kyogre just flooded the entire world, that really wouldn't effect Lugia that much. Lugia is also a lot faster than Kyogre.

Whoa now, Lugia isn't that much faster than Kyogre.

And since both have ~150-ish base Special Defense, Kyogre would win in a one-on-one fight due to its monstrous Special Attack+Thunder, a boon which Lugia does not have.

I do also think it's rather telling that Lugia is only referred to as "Guardian of the Sea" whereas Kyogre is "Lord and Creator of the Sea."

Ok what the hell just happened... i was going around when i encountered a Pokémon that i didn't had so i decided to catch it but when i threw my pokèball it made a "SWOOOSH" sound and it only had to tilt one time before catching the Pokémon, when this awesomeness was introduced? in 4th or 5th? and what are the possibilities for it to happen?
Yeah, it's a new thing in BW. According to the page on it over here, the chance of it happening increases the more Pokemon you've caught in the Pokedex. [edit, beaten]

Hmm, it's probably something that was come up with to make filling the dex easier...sneaky, Gamefreak.

Emitan

And since both have ~150-ish base Special Defense, Kyogre would win in a one-on-one fight due to its monstrous Special Attack+Thunder, a boon which Lugia does not have.

I do also think it's rather telling that Lugia is only referred to as "Guardian of the Sea" whereas Kyogre is "Lord and Creator of the Sea."
Nerdsssssss

Yeah, it's a new thing in BW. According to the page on it over here, the chance of it happening increases the more Pokemon you've caught in the Pokedex. [edit, beaten]

Hmm, it's probably something that was come up with to make filling the dex easier...sneaky, Gamefreak.
Just seems to be a great idea overall, though. By that time in-game, you should already know how to catch Pokemon consistently. This is a great reward for being able to do that.

Also: who gives a shit about Legendary Physics™. We all know GF's winging it.

.Also: who gives a shit about Legendary Physics™. We all know GF's winging it.

tumblr_m5wjm8ALJC1qmoze4.gif

Kokonoe

Banned

But Lugia isn't just the guardian of the sea, it's the only one that quells the Legendary birds, much like Rayquaza quells Kyogre and Groudon. And so far Kyogre has only been shown to be significant whilst in water, while Lugia has been shown otherwise.

I honestly think some of this stuff is exaggerated.

Kokonoe

Banned
In other news, I've been playing the translated Pokemon TCG 2. I haven't gotten too far yet, but as a sequel it doesn't seem that much different, even the music is the same.

Maybe this is the reason it wasn't released outside of Japan. I think there's some boat to go to another area, but I haven't unlocked it yet.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm not sure if this is a good trade or not so if it's not then please disregard this but I would be willing to trade my Darkrai (with its item) for a legit Mew or Celebi. If this is a bad trade for me then I don't really care because Mew has always been a favorite of mine and I can never seem to get one when the chance is available and I just wouldn't mind having Celebi (I could also unlock the Zorua from Black and White with it, I think).

I would try to do this with the GTS but I don't trust it as far as giving a legit Mew or Celebi so I thought I would ask here first. I was trying to think of a way to get Mew and it just occurred to me that I could try trading a legendary for it but I'm not exactly sure what the value of certain legendaries are and I know that the Darkrai was just given out as an event.

I'm not sure if this is a good trade or not so if it's not then please disregard this but I would be willing to trade my Darkrai (with its item) for a legit Mew or Celebi. If this is a bad trade on my part then I don't really care because Mew has always been a favorite of mine and I can never seem to get one when the chance is available and I just wouldn't mind having Celebi (I could also unlock the Zorua from Black and White with it, I think).

I would try to do this with the GTS but I don't trust it as far as giving a legit Mew or Celebi so I thought I would ask here first. I was trying to think of a way to get Mew and it just occurred to me that I could try trading a legendary for it but I'm not exactly sure what the value of certain legendaries are and I know that the Darkrai was just given out as an event.

What nature and IVs does the Darkrai have? If they're good I'll gladly trade it for one of my Celebi.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
What nature and IVs does the Darkrai have? If they're good I'll gladly trade it for one of my Celebi.

It has a rash nature and I'm not sure how to check its IVs. It's level 50 so I know it's possible to at least predict what they are somewhat but I never actually tried it because I don't even have the badge to utilize it in battle.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I had this and the B2/W2 thread open.

Kept refreshing that one wondering why my post wasn't coming up.

Look at community and go, uh oh...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People are freaking out over this? Seriously? Somebody, somewhere, on the internet, thought this deserved a spoiler tag?

No B2/W2 spoilers in this thread until the NA release for some reason. I can't even remark on how awesome it is when...or what happens if...or how this move on that Pokémon is a game changer.

People are freaking out over this? Seriously? Somebody, somewhere, on the internet, thought this deserved a spoiler tag?
Yeah, lol.

I probably would've mentioned it in text myself, it being common knowledge outside of conspiracy theorists, but it's still a story event from BW2, so it must be vanquished.

They changed Water Gun's base power to 60? I SAID GOD DAMN.

That's obviously something I made up, but context means everything to spoilers. Eh, whatever. I'm just arguing for the sake of it at this point.

Thanks to the ScraftyDevil for what the spoiler is. Man, by the way you guys reacted, I thought he had posted something truly heinous. I'm disappointed.

Top Bottom