• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Izayoi

Banned
Wow, it just now dawned on me that three of the 7th leaders are Ice. GAMEFREEEAAAAAK.

-nrumb.jpg

Izayoi said:
Wow, it just now dawned on me that three of the 7th leaders are Ice. GAMEFREEEAAAAAK.
Three of the 1st gym leaders are Rock.
Two of the 6th gym leaders are Flying and two of them are Steel.

Was on a site and someone reminded me of these ...

3BA_by_Bahful.gif

Tortel_Power_by_Bahful.gif

2BA_Master_by_Bahful.gif

I wanna try my hand at making something like these. Epic Pokemon Animations ... so few good fan animations out there for Pokemon.
(Would be great if someone could remake that Poke-Park Pikachu rig so that I can do something in 3D :/)

Wilsongt

I need to stop reading this thread. It is making me want to continue my game in HG, but I am playing too many games/don't have enough tiiiiiime.

._.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Exterminieren said:
Finish up to the Johto League. You then have the option of depressing-ass Gen II Kanto, or White.

I really dislike Kanto in GSC/HGSS.

Pfft, Kanto was awesome in HGSS. Wiseblade'll back me up on this.

Frost_Ace

Exterminieren said:
Finish up to the Johto League. You then have the option of depressing-ass Gen II Kanto, or White.

I really dislike Kanto in GSC/HGSS.
In hgss they fixed a lot of bad things that the original had.

Oh, there's no doubt that Kanto was better in HGSS than in GSC, but I just dislike the whole concept of returning to a region with your already powerful team and simply strolling through it. GSC was ruined by the inclusion of Kanto, unfortunately; low levels in Johto, and a hollow Kanto.

Kanto was structured perfectly in RBGY, and had the real sense of a journey travelling across the land. HGSS still ensured that this was lost, and no amount of returned Viridian Forests is going to change that.

This is why I cringe every single time someone says that a game should be made with all the regions in it; the levels and the sense of progression would be awful. If they do include more than one region, they should put a quarantine system in or something, so you basically have to build a team for the new region, with the ability to swap after beating that region's league.

Exterminieren said:
Oh, there's no doubt that Kanto was better in HGSS than in GSC, but I just dislike the whole concept of returning to a region with your already powerful team and simply strolling through it. GSC was ruined by the inclusion of Kanto, unfortunately; low levels in Johto, and a hollow Kanto.

Kanto was structured perfectly in RBGY, and had the real sense of a journey travelling across the land. HGSS still ensured that this was lost, and no amount of returned Viridian Forests is going to change that.

This is why I cringe every single time someone says that a game should be made with all the regions in it; the levels and the sense of progression would be awful. If they do include more than one region, they should put a quarantine system in or something, so you basically have to build a team for the new region, with the ability to swap after beating that region's league.
I agree with this, the cries of "we need EVERY region" that seem to fly off the minds of some people is an idea I don't think they've fully thought through. To actually do each region justice and not make them half assed like G/S Kanto would take a ridiculous amount of time, time that could be spent making brand new areas if they did choose to go all out with post game content. We get remakes anyway so it's not that we don't get helpings of nostalgia.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nocturnowl said:
I agree with this, the cries of "we need EVERY region" that seem to fly off the minds of some people is an idea I don't think they've fully thought through. To actually do each region justice and not make them half assed like G/S Kanto would take a ridiculous amount of time, time that could be spent making brand new areas if they did choose to go all out with post game content. We get remakes anyway so it's not that we don't get helpings of nostalgia.

I don't disagree (Sinnoh is my favorite region, partly because it's so big), but the second gen pulled off both a region as big as the previous one, while still including (a slightly scaled-down version) of that previous one as well. HGSS just went even further and restored Kanto to full status.

Obviously though, both regions are smaller than Sinnoh or Unova, maybe even both combined are smaller... But that doesn't change that Gen 2 was trailblazing when it included both, and not only that, both sets of gym leaders too.

Andrex said:
Take out Kanto, add a meaty post-game to Johto, keeping Red if you want, and make sure that the Johto gyms and Elite Four have proper levels? Objectively speaking, a better game right there.

Of course, this is speaking with more than a decade's worth of thinking. At the time, having Kanto blew my seven-year-old mind, and I'm not sure I'd have given that up.

Andrex said:
I don't disagree (Sinnoh is my favorite region, partly because it's so big), but the second gen pulled off both a region as big as the previous one, while still including (a slightly scaled-down version) of that previous one as well. HGSS just went even further and restored Kanto to full status.

Obviously though, both regions are smaller than Sinnoh or Unova, maybe even both combined are smaller... But that doesn't change that Gen 2 was trailblazing when it included both, and not only that, both sets of gym leaders too.
Oh it certainly has its good points but I'll always feels that Johto itself suffered due to Kanto being in the game (see also the irregular levels of late game battles), Johto feels emptier than most regions probably due to sharing limited cartridge space with the lesser Kanto. HG/SS was a nice improvement though, but I don't think there's any need to hop back to an old region at the end of the next main pokemon game.

I can't think of any real way to do multiple regions which won't either leave them both feeling hollow, or the beginning of the second region being a huge anticlimax.

In all honesty, I like all 5 main regions enough that I don't want to see the necessary sacrifices that would have to be made to fit them in a game with another one.

Maybe if the second region was original and explicitly designed around following the first, I don't know.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
Pfft, Kanto was awesome in HGSS. Wiseblade'll back me up on this.
HGSS Kanto is fine by me. I could complain about the missing Power Plant, Pokémon Mansion and Seafoam Islands, but are really the fault of the originals. Fixing Virdian Forest and adding Cerulean Cave and the Safari Zone was enough to make me happy.

Even still, I think GF get better results when they focus one one feature filled region.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:

This is where you lost me. GSC Johto is at best the same size as RBY Kanto, and GSC Kanto is drastically smaller than the original. Hoenn is definitely bigger (or at least more feature rich) than both of them combined. Again, HGSS is a major improvement, but that doesn't retroactively fix Gen II.

Wiseblade said:
HGSS Kanto is fine by me. I could complain about the missing Power Plant, Pokémon Mansion and Seafoam Islands, but are really the fault of the originals. Fixing Virdian Forest and adding Cerulean Cave and the Safari Zone was enough to make me happy.
Still diluted, though. Better, but still nowhere near as good as the originals.

The problem with GSC Kanto, for me, as well as the missing locations, was that it was too much of a sandbox. I'm all for freedom in games, but there's no sense of progression there. The journey of RBY really appealed to me, and having to build up to be good enough to move on, but GSC Kanto just opened it all up and let you do the gyms in basically any order. There's no sense of triumph, no sense of making one more step on your journey, just going through the motions and ticking the boxes of mowing down the gym leaders. Meanwhile, the meat of the game, Johto, had to be sparse to fit it; which, to be fair, was largely addressed in the remakes.

tl;dr; If you're going to include a second region in, please make it just as much of a journey as the first one.

Wiseblade said:
WHY HAVE I NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE
Cause you never TALK TO ME!
LLShC.gif

But anyway they're done by this Canadian animator in his free time. You both clearly favor the water starter seeing how that's the most dynamic of his starter animations so yeah ... IDK why you've never seen it either :p

Wish he would do some new ones though. Would be awesome to see Hax or the starters animated like that.

Black-Wind said:
LLShC.gif

But anyway they're done by this Canadian animator in his free time. You both clearly favor the water starter seeing how that's the most dynamic of his starter animations so yeah ... IDK why you've never seen it either :p

Wish he would do some new ones though. Would be awesome to see Hax or the starters animated like that.
I remember seeing a Caterpie vs. Steelix gif a few years ago that was similar. Was that the same guy's work?

Anth0ny

Wiseblade said:
This is where you lost me. GSC Johto is at best the same size as RBY Kanto, and GSC Kanto is drastically smaller than the original. Hoenn is definitely bigger (or at least more feature rich) than both of them combined. Again, HGSS is a major improvement, but that doesn't retroactively fix Gen II.

Gen II didn't need fixing.

the fact that Kanto was there at all was the greatest fanservice in the history of video games. I jizzed all over my Gameboy Color when I got off the SS Aqua and heard the Vermillion City music.

I was waiting for Johto to come up in Ruby and was so disappointed =(

Wiseblade

Anth0ny said:
Gen II didn't need fixing.

the fact that Kanto was there at all was the greatest fanservice in the history of video games. I jizzed all over my Gameboy Color when I got off the SS Aqua and heard the Vermillion City music.

I was waiting for Johto to come up in Ruby and was so disappointed =(
Being blinded by nostalgia must be nice.

Wiseblade said:
Being blinded by nostalgia must be nice.
Nothing wrong with blinding nostalgia. Pokemon the First Movie still sends me into a childish bliss, even though I know the dub was horseshit. Being nostalgic is nice sometimes.

Wichu

Black-Wind said:
LLShC.gif

His Smogon art thread might be more useful, as the dA hasn't been updated since 2008. His trainer series is awesome.
bugcatcher.jpg

Acerac

Banned
Exterminieren said:
I can't think of any real way to do multiple regions which won't either leave them both feeling hollow, or the beginning of the second region being a huge anticlimax.

In all honesty, I like all 5 main regions enough that I don't want to see the necessary sacrifices that would have to be made to fit them in a game with another one.

Maybe if the second region was original and explicitly designed around following the first, I don't know.
The proper way to do all 5 regions is to make a pokemon mmorpg with optional starting points. ;)

You know, if there's only one thing I miss about the 4Kids dub, and thinking about there really is only one thing I miss about the 4Kids dub, it's the awesome opening credits music. From Battle Frontier onwards, it's mainly been bland, mushy stuff, apart from the Diamond and Pearl song, which I remember vaguely liking. 4Kids had a real knack for churning out excellent, epic songs to accompany the intros. I miss the days songs like Master Quest or Unbeatable featured.

It's a shame, because the actual animation of the intros tends to be great. Apart from Black and White, and I fully expect a new intro in Japan in the next month or so.

Billychu said:
9047.gif
9047.gif
9047.gif

A wild Billychu appeared!
Yes! PokeGAF assembles once more.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Exterminieren said:
You know, if there's only one thing I miss about the 4Kids dub, and thinking about there really is only one thing I miss about the 4Kids dub, it's the awesome opening credits music. From Battle Frontier onwards, it's mainly been bland, mushy stuff, apart from the Diamond and Pearl song, which I remember vaguely liking. 4Kids had a real knack for churning out excellent, epic songs to accompany the intros. I miss the days songs like Master Quest or Unbeatable featured.

It's a shame, because the actual animation of the intros tends to be great. Apart from Black and White, and I fully expect a new intro in Japan in the next month or so.

I think I said that earlier in the thread. :p

Wiseblade

Exterminieren said:

Yes! PokeGAF assembles once more.

I agree with you, but you don't miss the old VAs?

Andrex said:
I think I said that earlier in the thread. :p

You did.

Wiseblade said:
I agree with you, but you don't miss the old VAs?
Eh. Some of them. I actually prefer new Ash, but the likes of Meowth and James did suffer somewhat.

I think that the new cast have grown into their roles enough by this point that I don't really miss the old ones, no.

Top Bottom