• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I've been trying to figure out what Team Aqua remind me of and I think I just got it, they look like generic henchman from the 1960's Batman tv series, possibly working under the Penguin.

Rival:
Silver

Team:

It's interesting how there is this split between Rocket and the other teams - while Rocket is generic gangster/Yakuza (steal Pokemon for profit - that's prety much their involvement with Pokemon in particular outside of their fingers in the tech and gambling sectors), all the teams that followed had a more ideological focus. Magma/Aqua's reason was pretty, uh, lopsided and not too well-thought out (flood the earth vs. dry out the earth - something went wrong here). Galactic was "recreate the universe", and on that part, Cyrus did get what he wanted, somewhat. Plasma's aim identified with a big thing in their world that we constantly notice (people holding clearly sentient creatures in tiny balls, to fight each other for profit and fun), and if it weren't for the infighting in their own team (which comes to a head inbetween BW and BW2), I think they had a better chance, compared to the other teams, of getting the people on their side.

I'll say Plasma is the best, based on goals. Rocket has a hot theme. Ghetsis(BW2) has the best design. Neo Team Plasma outfits are hot.

Champion:
Blue...I think I went through a whole thing defending him a long while back. Lance is cool, he totally owned that guy with Dragonite, but aside from his "take on TR" attitude, I don't recall his presence much. STEVEN STONE has a baller team, though he spends all day looking at stones... he gives out the best stuff anyway :p Cynthia is somewhat intriguing, with her archaeology/mythology day job, plus she really gets around between 4th and 5th gen... Alder has an interesting backstory, and he's much more present than the others are.
I still need to see how ___ is in BW2 before I have an opinion.

I don't think I can really decide which is the best thoughstevenstone. But if I was forced to, I'd say, uh... Cynthia. But don't hold me to that.

Regio-
Hoenn.

Game:
BW on technical aspects (will soon be replaced by BW2). HGSS for content, and Voltorb Flip. Emerald/BW2 for music.

Kokonoe

Banned
Team Plasma's original outfits look like some form of Knight clothing, while their newer outfits seem to be some sort of police officer outfit.

Team Plasma's original outfits look like some form of Knight clothing, while their newer outfits seem to be some sort of police officer outfit.

OG Plasma's outfits, although dorky, fit well with their "Knights Templar" style of operation, or their "crusade" to free all Pokémon.

Off-topic, but before I played Sapphire I was convinced that Wallace was the leader of Team Aqua. Why did this not happen.

In the inevitible R/S remakes, this had better be the TA/Wallace battle theme. Screw continuity and remixing themes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I agree Plasma is the best overall but not in all aspects.

you have individual grunts with individual stories

Eh really? I don't remember anyone in Plasma except for N, Ghetsis, and the Sages (at the very end.) Just from Galactic, I remember Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and Charon.

they are the most successful

Wrong. That's actually Galactic. Ghetsis doesn't achieve his goal of Unova/world domination, while Cyrus actually does open the door to the Distortion realm to "claim" it for himself. He even stays there willingly after the link between them is closed.

and, thanks to Ghetsis and his actions, they're the most evil, too.

I don't know, Galactic blowing up the marsh like IRL terrorists and almost dragging all of reality into a nightmarish hell world pretty much trounce the comparatively light stuff Plasma accomplished.

Zeroth

Steven Stone is the best champion, simply because. He doesn't get silly exposition like Blue or "LOOK HOW HARDCORE I AM" like Lance, and gives some nice gifts. Cynthia is cool too, I only dislike how it feels they forced her badass attitude down your throat. Alder is okay, but I think he suffered a bit of too much plot exposition in BW.
And Wallace is not canon, so screw him.

How did they force her awesomeness down your throat? You didn't even learn she was the Champ until you faced her.

I'm not talking just about DPPt here. We need to be constantly reminded in different games how she's so awesome.

Wiseblade

How did they force her awesomeness down your throat? You didn't even learn she was the Champ until you faced her.

Easiest way to measure up how powerful someone is to count the number of times the show up over the course of the story, and compare it to the amount of times you have battled then. Basically, If someone shows up more than twice and hasn't already been given a title, they're probably the champion.

I do admit that Galactic is my second favorite team, but I enjoy Rocket more.

What about him in particular?
I forgot the IMO part but I like how mysterious and weird he is, appearing out of nowhere and saying that he can hear your Pokemon talk, and then proceed to battle you. He also makes you ride a Ferris Wheel all alone with him while he explains he and his team's motives and plans. Also he goes on about a dragon Pokemon and twins that were destined to fight one another, and that he is the Hero. He also has a very childish room which is just fucked up but I just loved how he
flies away at the end of the game

Emitan

Easiest way to measure up how powerful someone is to count the number of times the show up over the course of the story, and compare it to the amount of times you have battled then. Basically, If someone shows up more than twice and hasn't already been given a title, they're probably the champion.

HnR83.png

Kokonoe

Banned
You never battle him though

But then again you never battle Alder, Cynthia, Lance, or Steven until E4... yeah whatever.

someone needs to mod it where Looker's the champion.

Well, Looker also doesn't approach you as either of those characters. He approaches you as if you're a big help to him, the others are more or less guiding you. So yes, Looker doesn't really count here.

Eh really? I don't remember anyone in Plasma except for N, Ghetsis, and the Sages (at the very end.) Just from Galactic, I remember Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and Charon.

They're subtly done, but you have stuff like the Plasma grunt who has the crisis of confidence over bonding with his Pokemon and whether that means he isn't fit for purpose. It isn't a big bold character arc, but there's more depth in the organisation than there is in the likes of Galactic.

Wrong. That's actually Galactic. Ghetsis doesn't achieve his goal of Unova/world domination, while Cyrus actually does open the door to the Distortion realm to "claim" it for himself. He even stays there willingly after the link between them is closed.

Pah. Cyrus basically falls into the Distortion Realm by accident. In Diamond and Pearl, his villainous plan fails, the Red Chain disintegrates, and even if the player loses to him, he still wouldn't get anywhere, and ditto for Platinum; he had no real hope of obtaining Giratina.
Compare and contrast to N who, short of the player's interference, had already won. He owned a near-untouchable legendary, people were being scared into submission (see the Opelucid City speech that Ghetsis makes), he defeated the League, Plasma had hacked their way into the Pokémon Storage system... if the player had failed, Plasma would have totally won.

I don't know, Galactic blowing up the marsh like IRL terrorists and almost dragging all of reality into a nightmarish hell world pretty much trounce the comparatively light stuff Plasma accomplished.

Galactic always had an edge of goofiness, though; yeah, while blowing up the lake was evil, they didn't mean to nearly drag the world into hell.
Ghetsis himself though is the single most evil character in the games, simply for how he treats N. He raises the guy surrounded by abused Pokémon, all the while making them build his castle for him, lies through his teeth to everyone from the people of Unova to N and the grunts, and demolishes N and tears his entire life to pieces after he fails. No other character is as malicious and as brutal as Ghetsis is in Black and White.

Wiseblade

He shows up six times in B/W!

Yeah, after you beat the game and to arrest the sages. He pretty much just a named Officer Jenny.

Pah. Cyrus basically falls into the Distortion Realm by accident. In Diamond and Pearl, his villainous plan fails, the Red Chain disintegrates, and even if the player loses to him, he still wouldn't get anywhere, and ditto for Platinum; he had no real hope of obtaining Giratina.
Compare and contrast to N who, short of the player's interference, had already won. He owned a near-untouchable legendary, people were being scared into submission (see the Opelucid City speech that Ghetsis makes), he defeated the League, Plasma had hacked their way into the Pokémon Storage system... if the player had failed, Plasma would have totally won.

Yep, you beat me to mentioning this. Don't forget that the MC of BW is also chosen by an all-powerful dragon as the human embodiment of Truth/ideals, which makes them a more credible threat than some random 10 year old kid.

OMG Aero

It's time for another tournament in the cartoon which means it's time for all the characters (and Iris and Cilan's annoying as fuck rivals) to get together again.
I think my favourite part of these tournament episodes though are all the minor characters they come up with just to be used as battle fodder.
qaOqr.jpg
HpKRY.jpg
PiK2i.jpg
tHwNs.jpg
fFTGm.jpg
F00N6.jpg
IFvNE.jpg
EyFGU.jpg

Anyway, this first battle between Sawk and Seismitoad seems pretty coo-
dwoUS.jpg
u3C6i.jpg
eCZH4.jpg

AJsoh.gif

oHe9f.gif
zLFc4.gif

A5d9Z.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ghetsis himself though is the single most evil character in the games, simply for how he treats N. He raises the guy surrounded by abused Pokémon, all the while making them build his castle for him, lies through his teeth to everyone from the people of Unova to N and the grunts, and demolishes N and tears his entire life to pieces after he fails. No other character is as malicious and as brutal as Ghetsis is in Black and White.

Ghetsis is a very bad father but it doesn't compare with the deaths of all the Pokemon and people in the Great Marsh. And in fact, Ghetsis gave N a very good (if sheltered) childhood. Had he never revealed his grand scheme to him, N would probably say he had a great childhood. He probably still would.

Cyrus was ruthless in his quest for a new world and he would have killed every single living person and Pokemon to obtain it, by virtue of resetting this one. Ghetsis just wanted to take over -- people would have still lived on, just under his rule.

This is like, comparing someone with 50 nukes all pointed at the worlds' most populus cities to Genghis Khan. They're both bad, but I would say the guy hellbent on eradicating all life is more evil.

OMG Aero

Ghetsis is a very bad father but it doesn't compare with the deaths of all the Pokemon and people in the Great Marsh.
Wait a minute, when is it ever stated that people and Pokemon were actually killed by Team Galactic? I highly doubt a Pokemon game would actually say this so I think you are just reading too deeply into something.
The only effect I remember seeing in the game of Team Galactic's bombs is a bunch of Magikarp flopping around at the bottom of an empty lake.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait a minute, when is it ever stated that people and Pokemon were actually killed by Team Galactic? I highly doubt a Pokemon game would actually say this so I think you are just reading too deeply into something.
The only effect I remember seeing in the game of Team Galactic's bombs is a bunch of Magikarp flopping around at the bottom of an empty lake.

Obviously they'd never say it, considering how lighthearted the games are. But they don't say nobody was hurt either, and if I remember right, one of the gym leaders and Barry stay behind to help after the explosion while you go after the Galactic dudes.

Ghetsis is a very bad father but it doesn't compare with the deaths of all the Pokemon and people in the Great Marsh. And in fact, Ghetsis gave N a very good (if sheltered) childhood. Had he never revealed his grand scheme to him, N would probably say he had a great childhood. He probably still would.
He had a great childhood... because he was cut off from all human contact and kept around Pokémon that Ghetsis abused in an explicit attempt to make him grow up stunted and warped?

It's a... novel viewpoint, I'll give you that, but a terrible childhood is a terrible childhood, regardless of whether the child knew any different.

Cyrus was ruthless in his quest for a new world and he would have killed every single living person and Pokemon to obtain it, by virtue of resetting this one. Ghetsis just wanted to take over -- people would have still lived on, just under his rule.

This is like, comparing someone with 50 nukes all pointed at the worlds' most populus cities to Genghis Khan. They're both bad, but I would say the guy hellbent on eradicating all life is more evil.

I might argue that Cyrus was more utterly single minded and sociopathic that straightforwardly evil. He's more cartoonish super-villainy, as opposed to Ghetsis's smaller scale, personal approach.

I'm not even going to talk BW2.

This Bianca muscle stuff does vaguely make me wonder what the reaction would have been if there was a scene where Barry tried to mess with, say, a Medicham or a Gardevoir in the same way.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wonder if bestiality is a real problem in the Pokemon world.

6eDerl.png

OB2Hql.png

I'd say so.

This Bianca muscle stuff does vaguely make me wonder what the reaction would have been if there was a scene where Barry tried to mess with, say, a Medicham or a Gardevoir in the same way.

Barry isn't as much of an airhead as Bianca in the anime.

Shit. I can't keep up with this discussion, guys.

Instead: I bring you good news about the upcoming Black & White 2 album. A partial tracklist, credits, and more clarification on the album's contents have been posted on the JP Pokemon webpage for the album. I'm in shock. There's practically no mention of Kageyama in the track credits, and it seems like Ichinose was responsible for many more tracks than I'd previously thought.

Furthermore: the liner notes and album extras look very interesting. A big collection of concept art, which is definitely much better than a bunch of pages detailing the game itself (which is what the album's have had for the longest time, though these BW albums are changing that).

Top Bottom