• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

OMG Aero

Oh sweet are we posting our nerd ringtones?
IDK, I've never bothered to check. Let me do so!

—No: you can only buy more tones from the App Store. And there's no feature within the Music app to do that either.
If I remember correctly, you can just rename an .m4a file to be a .m4r and then drag it into iTunes and then it will sync it to your phone as a ringtone.
At least that's how I used to do it for my Mum's phone anyway.

Quadratic

This has probably been asked a lot but I just pre-ordered a 3DS XL and I want to get a Pokemon game to go along with it. My last time playing a Pokemon was Blue back in the Gameboy era. I've had a PSP and Vita as my handhelds. I have a DS, but never really used it much outside playing Square games. Should I jump straight into White/Black or go Heart Gold/Soul Silver

Aggrotek

This has probably been asked a lot but I just pre-ordered a 3DS XL and I want to get a Pokemon game to go along with it. My last time playing a Pokemon was Blue back in the Gameboy era. I've had a PSP and Vita as my handhelds. I have a DS, but never really used it much outside playing Square games. Should I jump straight into White/Black or go Heart Gold/Soul Silver

It's really preference. I think SS and HG are a bit tougher than B/W. But if you want that nostalgia, go for SS/HG.

If you haven't got the Gen II nostalgia, I guess I'd say go straight to Black and White. They're the ideal jumping on point, and Black and White 2 are out later in the year with a load more content and features that'll best be appreciated if Black or White are played.

My phone is always on vibrate, so I never get new ringtones :p

Current one is BttF theme, text/notification is Zelda 'found secret' sound. But I never hear them

Ha I use the same text notification sound! Though every once in a while I switch it to Navi's "HEY! LISTEN!", mario coin sounds, or the pokemon center heal jingle :3

4chan's /vp/ board can be really terrible at times.

SERIOUS QUESTION DUDERS

Who can help provide visuals for a new Pokemon music appreciation thread? Nothing over-embellished, but some kind of custom banner I could use, like the one this thread has. I don't remember anyone PMing me about the idea, but if you could do that I'd be able to contact you for further information.

NEW music appreciation thread? What happened to the other one?

PS: Let me know if you still need help with the banner. I have a test this week but I may be able to lend a hand if my task is manageable.

To be honest, I don't really understand what being a "nerd" is.

It's a very common misconception, but there's a distinct difference between being a "nerd" and being a "geek." Par example:

Nerd:
11579445.jpg

Geek:
tcgwinners4.jpg

NEW music appreciation thread? What happened to the other one?

PS: Let me know if you still need help with the banner. I have a test this week but I may be able to lend a hand if my task is manageable.
Nothing happened. It stagnated and fell off the map. And, since there's a new Pokemon music album being released this 25th of July, I feel like a new thread's in order. Feel free to PM me about that banner idea.

Kokonoe

Banned
It's a very common misconception, but there's a distinct difference between being a "nerd" and being a "geek." Par example:

Nerd:
http://im.glogster.com/media/2/11/57/94/11579445.jpg[img]

Geek:
[img]http://www.pokemonworldchampionships.com/2011/files/content/media/images/day3/tcgwinners4.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I'm more confused now.

harmonize

As far as my friends know, I hate Pokemon and video games in general.

Got to keep that facade up, lest I be cast away to the dark and isolated depths of the nerd lunch table :lol

harmonize

Does that also apply to writing Pokemon fanfiction? I could use some peer-review, and I have enough blank paper to print out hard copies for everybody at my table.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

This was my experience. Although actually, there were a couple people in high school who were curious about Pokemon when they saw I was playing. They were lapsed fans that weren't big enough into the franchise to play the new games, but were still interested in how things had changed.

I remember they were watching when I selected to fly someplace, and they were like "You can finally fly wherever you want and not just towns?!?" and I was like "No. :( But you can fly to certain routes. :)"

Kokonoe

Banned
From Google.

"A foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious: "one of those nerds who never asked a girl to dance"."

"An intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession."

What.

*edit*

I looked more into it, apparently it's a derogatory stereotype?

Emitan

From Google.

"A foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious: "one of those nerds who never asked a girl to dance"."

"An intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession."

What.

image.php

Only 2 of my friends played Pokémon through high school, but I did have many people inquiring as to why I always played, discussed and wore clothing featuring characters from a supposed "kiddie" game. I pretty much always gave them the same stock response, but one time a group of dudes took a genuine interest in the series. They asked which games were the best to jump in on; I said Platinum or Emerald.

I arrived at school the next day hoping to see them partaking in their adventure; maybe I'd offer them some training or breeding advice. Imagine my horror when I found them playing the games on an emulator, and that they'd both AR'd their starters up to Level 100 after the first rival battle.

Some people just don't get it.

Korosenai

I remember in High School when I put a gameboy emulator along with a pokemon blue rom on the schools network. Within a week, word got around that it was on there and pretty much everyone in every computer class was playing it. After that we werent allowed to use thumb drives for the rest of the year.

Unlike the rest of you, I'm still in high school. Here, though, a lot of the band kids like to play Pokémon a lot. It's their cutesy game franchise of choice, only matched by the power of re-watching The Lion King a million times on summer break.

Weird place.

Drago

I'm still in HS too. Going into a new one this August...

Hope there is a Video Game club. Last HS only had an anime club... bah

Esura

Banned
I'm still in HS too. Going into a new one this August...

Hope there is a Video Game club. Last HS only had an anime club... bah

When I was in high school I was mostly invested into other RPG series like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. At lunch, we had the jock table, the anime/ecchi table, the RPG table (aka Final Fantasy/KH table), and the other tables were full of people just clowning around. I was mostly in the anime/ecchi and RPG table.

I didn't really get back into Pokemon til after high school. Was second nature getting back into it too.

Drago

I'm done with clubs. Who needs them? NeoGAF reigns supreme. :}

But I still have to go to school :{
Well, I have to interact with real people :p

I'm extremely bad at making friends so I'm praying for a club I can join and make friends with. Last HS was brutal... I couldn't get along with too many people and all the clubs were basically extra classes, no fun allowed. :/

/livejournal

I've never had to move schools as much as you have, I bet. Things get pretty stable where I live, and things always stay the same. Good luck at your new campus. School life sucks when you want to do other things. I've only got one real friend IRL at the moment, and he's working his butt off before the school year starts again.

Drago

I've never had to move schools as much as you have, I bet. Things get pretty stable where I live, and things always stay the same. Good luck at your new campus. School life sucks when you want to do other things. I've only got one real friend IRL at the moment, and he's working his butt off before the school year starts again.
Well, I just moved from NY to Texas, so it's been a bit rough, heh. It's my first major move. I know a few kids already though.

My problem is that I'm not a very outgoing person, and I'm not really into sports and such. I'm the opposite to the average kid. I'm hoping to change that and to try and find a clique, but it's not that easy. Not being very funny or enthusiastic doesn't help much either :p

Top Bottom