• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I see...sounds like how I would spend over 50+ hours just farming for items in RPG's just to make a weapon (Darn you FF 12)...PASS. I'll just read about everyone's exploits in competitive Pokemon and call it a day.

Breeding for natures/moves is (comparatively) easy. It's everything past that that is ridiculous.

Is there any chance of Pokemon movies going back to heaters?

I know M13 was in theaters through the BW Mall Tour (I saw it) and M14 had a limited weekend showing in select theaters... will they ever go back to wide releases?

Not sure the popularity's there any more; the movies do good DVD business, but the last few kinda bombed in cinemas.

The movies are getting a popularity resurgence, though; they've started releasing new ones on UK DVD for the first time since 4Ever recently, and, as you say, they do limited cinema showings in the States. I don't think we'll see wide releases again, though.

Not that I know of. Should have gone to Cambridge ;)

But that would involve having to study in Cambridge. :(

Ah well, I'm sure there'll be some video games or anime club I can hijack.

Zeroth

When I was breeding for competitive pokemons to use in the Battle Tower in Diamond, I would always aim for Natures/Moves, and leave IVs out since it would drive me insane.

I'm preparing to start training my first breeded competitive pokemon in Black (Bullet Punch Riolu), though for some reason I don't think I'll breed "competitive" pokemon as much as I did in Diamond :p

Wiseblade

Back in Platinum, I actually used breeding chains to pass on perfect Atk, Def and Speed IVs for a Gliscor. Then there's the time I bred for an Eevee with Perfect S.Atk, Speed and Hidden Power Ice.

Sometimes I still get flashbacks to those nightmarish days...

Drago

it's easier in bw

Well I RNG'd an egg in Platinum (I think? Maybe Diamond) and traded it over. Too much tapping the Poketch for me x_x

If it's easier in BW then maybe I'll make myself a shiny Rufflet/Braviary to use in BW2. The only Unova pokemon I'm gonna use on my team (and Serperior)

MarkusRJR

Competitive Pokémon is just silly. It removes the fun out of the game. I will use my weak lvl 67 Dwebble and continue to have fun whilst you slave away into the moonlight working on your perfect Pokémon.

You guys so cray. :p

Aggrotek

Competitive Pokémon is just silly. It removes the fun out of the game. I will use my weak lvl 67 Dwebble and continue to have fun whilst you slave away into the moonlight working on your perfect Pokémon.

I thought fun was subjective. :(

That's pretty poor reasoning, considering that literally the only thing that is difficult regarding raising competitive Pokemon is IVs. It's also a bit insulting to the people who enjoy competitive battling.

MarkusRJR

That's pretty poor reasoning, considering that literally the only thing that is difficult regarding raising competitive Pokemon is IVs. It's also a bit insulting to the people who enjoy competitive battling.
I didn't say it was super difficult I just said it wasn't any fun. I wouldn't say it's insulting either, cause it must mean you guys have hardcore determination. I tried to get train my Pokémon to be strong and became instantly bored with the game. It became more of a chore than entertainment for me. Now I just don't give a fuck and choose adorable Pokémon. :D

A Critical Hit

Neo Member
Yeah, IV breeding is a good way to drive yourself insane.

¬.¬

So this. RNG and other methods are preferable to playing the poke lottery. Egg moves and EV training isn't so bad as you learn about breeding chains and what egg moves are legal/illegal on a certain poke.

Others call it exploiting and hacking (lol). I call it saving time and getting into competitive battles quickly.

Gamefreak dropped the ball for B/W online play though. So many rage quits >.<

*inb4throwingrocks@juniormemeber.

Firestorm

http://youtu.be/p8uszlnw19c?hd=1&t=9m58s

A Critical Hit said:
Gamefreak dropped the ball for B/W online play though. So many rage quits >.<
The worst part is that in BW2 it still doesn't know who ragequit so it does the 1 hour no wifi punishment on both players.

MikeMyers

This ain't the Safari Zone, friend. We throw bait.

"Dragonite is the best dragon-type in the game in all aspects, end of discussion."

See?

384Rayquaza.png

Bait, accepted.

Firestorm

WHY WOULD HE TARGET THUNDERUS!?
Most players in 2011 did not run Ray's Thundurus spread. In fact, for some reason a lot of western players still don't even though he proved it was obviously a much better option for Thundurus. He was running a Bold Thundurus EV'd defensively enough to take 3 Rock Slides (Charti berry on one of the hits). Matty thought it would KO as it usually does, but obviously it didn't. Japanese players also run a very similar Thundurus but their events were cancelled last year due to the earthquake so we didn't see them at Worlds.

Most players in 2011 did not run Ray's Thundurus spread. In fact, for some reason a lot of western players still don't even though he proved it was obviously a much better option for Thundurus. He was running a Bold Thundurus EV'd defensively enough to take 3 Rock Slides (Charti berry on one of the hits). Matty thought it would KO as it usually does, but obviously it didn't. Japanese players also run a very similar Thundurus but their events were cancelled last year due to the earthquake so we didn't see them at Worlds.

Well yeah, but that Thunderus was at half health, which means he knew how tough it was. Even with a Flying Gem, I wouldn't have risked the game by attacking him with a type disadvantage.

Firestorm

Well yeah, but that Thunderus was at half health, which means he knew how tough it was. Even with a Flying Gem, I wouldn't have risked the game by attacking him with a type disadvantage.
I'd have to look at his previous two battles against Matty (it's best of 3) but in that battle it was a Thunderbolt that hit him first so he wouldn't have known about its physical defense. Although I have a feeling a rock slide did hit him in a previous battle so I'm not sure.

Also keep in mind that Flying Gem + STAB effectively puts Acrobatics' power at 247. He could have KO'd Hydreigon but still would have had the Terrakion in back to deal with along with Thundurus.

I wouldn't have expected a defensive Thunderus ;o EV spread?
I don't know the exact spread. I just know that it was done to take 3 Rock Slides with Charti Berry. Most players in Japan also EV their Thundurus similarly and I would say the better players in North America do the same.

Korosenai

Ive been playing pokemon since the release of pokemon blue and red in NA and I just recently got into ev training. It really does make a difference in your pokemon and it almost makes me not want to use a non ev trained pokemon again.

Aberrant

I need a base set Charizard, Blastoise, Venasaur and Nidoking.

If anyone has these guys to trade let me know!

I don't really care if they are 1st ed, shadowless or unlimited. As long as they are original base set.

Top Bottom