• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Aggrotek

Ugh, got my Lileep and now it doesn't have the right Hidden Power... I need a good move to replace HP Fire/Rock. :(

Edit: I also am buying a DSi and a ton of extra stuff for $50 today. :) Get to kick my shiny hunting into 2nd gear. Also I can now get Cradily to learn Stealth Rock. So I will probably ditch this one...

This shit was so fuckin cool.
I raise you:

Zpjn4.jpg

Whats the general Gaf attitude toward RNGing?
Depends on the player.

For example, I think it to be a legitimate alternative time-saving technique in establishing a base competitive poke from scratch, for those who care about having the right EV/nature spreads (although GF has done a lot since G3 to make the breeding stuff easier). RNGing for shinies, however... I think it's best if you encounter them yourself. It makes for a neat tale to tell friends.

Hey guys, quick question pretty please.

So just now I tried to poké transfer Pokémon from my Pearl version which I bought ages ago in Singapore to my German White game. However, it says it's incompatible software or something after I downloaded the poké transfer on my Pearl DS. I assume it doesn't work because the games are from different regions? Or does it work somehow, and I just screwed up?

I kind of accepted my fate already, I'm just looking for confirmation here. Tried to google it, but didn't really find anything conclusive.

No weakness and -3 fist resistance? Man, WotC were all about breaking that fucking game. Remember the late Johto cards? Shining Celebi and that sorta thing? Shit was insane

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah, both those cards I posted are "Jumbo Promo" cards that cannot be used in play.

However, when the card game changed with the Diamond and Pearl cards, it's way out of balance than how it was. Although I remember there being a banlist on cards from before, but when Nintendo took over there became no banlist at all.

I recall lots of Sneasels.

Last time I knew anything about the TCG was the last time I bought a booster pack- e-Card series Dragon, motherfucker. Crystal Nidoking all up in this. I remember reading an article in a Pokemon magazine about how a Slowking had been banned for some reason. Yeah, I dunno. :lol

The e-Card series was a really cool relaunch, IMO- card designs have looked way better ever since. Kinda not surprised the metagame was broken since then, though. EX Pokemon was about the time I dropped off (the anime being shit, Sapphire failing to hold my interest as much as Crystal, and puberty didn't help matters, of course).

Kokonoe

Banned
Last time I knew anything about the TCG was the last time I bought a booster pack- e-Card series Dragon, motherfucker. Crystal Nidoking all up in this. I remember reading an article in a Pokemon magazine about how a Slowking had been banned for some reason. Yeah, I dunno. :lol

The e-Card series was a really cool relaunch, IMO- card designs have looked way better ever since. Kinda not surprised the metagame was broken since then, though. EX Pokemon was about the time I dropped off (the anime being shit, Sapphire failing to hold my interest as much as Crystal, and puberty didn't help matters, of course).

I had an E-Reader with some of those cards. Scanning and seeing more data was interesting, but the most entertaining thing was the games some of the cards had like Machop punching rocks. found gameplay footage here

I got out of the cards with the Diamond and Pearl stuff. I thought EX was more of a hit and miss, not entirely bad as you do lose two prize cards if it gets fainted.

The reason I stopped with the Diamond and Pearl cards is because they changed the design, stats, and game in such a way that the older cards could not be used at all without certain defeat. In fact, an EX card is what a normal card is in the game now, and they changed the max HP from 120 to much more. (they also don't allow their usage in tournaments)

I suppose my huge collection of cards over the years practically became useless when thew new set occurred, so that's another reason for my dislike, but it's main that I just dislike the style of the game is now compared to how it was. But it's not terrible by any means.

MikeMyers

Imagine a legendary bird fusion that had the best of the birds

Type: Electric / Ice / Fire / Flying (takes 75% upon Stealth Rock damage, ouch)
Stats: 90 / 100 / 100 / 125 / 125 / 100
Moveset: Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Fire Blast/Roost.

Breeding for Hidden Power suuuuucks. Just went through like 130 Lileep to find a Bold Storm Drain with HP Fire. Ugh.
Breeding for Hidden Power without RNG abuse is lunacy. I remember hatching a bajillion Gastly before all the RNG stuff was figured out and even then, the best ones had crappy IVs in certain stats.

Anyway, after I land my HP Fire Magnemite, I'm going to try for a 29/xx/29/29/31/31 Latios
in Emerald where I have to wait 3.5 hours between resets x_x

Aggrotek

Breeding for Hidden Power without RNG abuse is lunacy. I remember hatching a bajillion Gastly before all the RNG stuff was figured out and even then, the best ones had crappy IVs in certain stats.

Anyway, after I land my HP Fire Magnemite, I'm going to try for a 29/xx/29/29/31/31 Latios
in Emerald where I have to wait 3.5 hours between resets x_x

The IVs on it probably blow too. Have to wait to check it right? Or can I upload it to pokecheck?

GimMick

Fair enough. I actually like the design of the double card, but I thought that was a very weird idea for a competitive card game :lol

Kokonoe

Banned
Never knew the card game was like this. Tell me more!
Well, if you want to know something interesting, there was a set that actually changed the typing of the Pokemon which is rather neat. It gave you the opportunity to use Pokemon in different elemental decks that you could not use before, like these.

qLSGH.jpg
fhSww.jpg

oFRBh.jpg
Y9KaT.jpg

They are called Delta Species.

All those cards are real ? Hilarious.
What this game has become !

Those cards are at least 4x the size of a normal card, and thus cannot be played as stated on the card. They're fanservice.

Boney

Banned
AAAAAAAAAAAA LOOK AT THOSE BARS GO DOWN YEAAAAAAAAAAH

*ahem*

regarding final fantasy, the only 2 that are actually worth a damn are V and IX. Check whichever you can get your hands on the fastest first and love them. The overall series leading up to IX are all pretty decent and are definately fun to play through.

Haven't played 12 yet as I'm waiting for the Zodiac Job System to come to the west, and XI is apparently great as well but yeah it's an MMO.

Let's rather not talk about the ones not mentioned though.

Emitan

*ahem*

regarding final fantasy, the only 2 that are actually worth a damn are V and IX. Check whichever you can get your hands on the fastest first and love them. The overall series leading up to IX are all pretty decent and are definately fun to play through.

Haven't played 12 yet as I'm waiting for the Zodiac Job System to come to the west, and XI is apparently great as well but yeah it's an MMO.

Let's rather not talk about the ones not mentioned though.
This is where I plug VI and Beef gets mad.

Top Bottom