• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Wiseblade

How so? Black and White's Pokemon style are a lot different.

BW have a pretty strong "new beginnings" atmosphere to them. From the all original Pokédex, to the distinct lack of cameos and references to earlier Pokémon games in the main story. It just feel fresh in a way Gen IV and even Gen III didn't.

It still surprises me to this day that they showed Ho-Oh in the first episode of Pokemon.
I was sort of surprised, though I think it's because:
1) GSC was in development at the time
2) Ho-oh was part of the original 190-character dex of RBY, before it was cut down to 150 plus 1, and they planned to bring him back for GSC, so they just colored him gold and bam.

---

It was pretty neat how BW cut off everything until postgame, and made a new ecosystem of Pokemon so as to not include any old ones. I hope GF goes a similar route for Gen 6, though I don't know how they are going to handle it. Also, I want some more evos of older ones, so that's a barrier for me :p

BW have a pretty strong "new beginnings" atmosphere to them. From the all original Pokédex, to the distinct lack of cameos and references to earlier Pokémon games in the main story. It just feel fresh in a way Gen IV and even Gen III didn't.

Some of the designs of the new pokemon are way out there, but I agree with the "new beginnings" statement the most. BW has way more features than RBY, but the feel of the game is similar to Gen I, imo.

Kokonoe

Banned
I suppose you are correct in that. Black and White has an edgier vibe now that I've noticed, but I don't think personality wise, but style wise.

I was sort of surprised, though I think it's because:
1) GSC was in development at the time
2) Ho-oh was part of the original 190-character dex of RBY, before it was cut down to 150 plus 1, and they planned to bring him back for GSC, so they just colored him gold and bam.

---

It was pretty neat how BW cut off everything until postgame, and made a new ecosystem of Pokemon so as to not include any old ones. I hope GF goes a similar route for Gen 6, though I don't know how they are going to handle it. Also, I want some more evos of older ones, so that's a barrier for me :p

I'm aware of why, but it's still cool to think about. I mean, you're just experiencing Pokemon for the first time (if this is how you got into it) and are completely unaware of all these new things. You become more experienced and knowledgeable with the game, and it turns out Gamefreak puts out something which to you is brand new, but it technically wasn't since it was in the first episode.

Some of the designs of the new pokemon are way out there, but I agree with the "new beginnings" statement the most. BW has way more features than RBY, but the feel of the game is similar to Gen I, imo.

I agree that some of the designs just lost a huge chunk of creativity and are flat out strange in Black and White compared to the last four generations.
I always thought that was a Fearow...for some reason...

Hah. I always thought it was Moltres. That reminds me.

"I am a flaming Moltres!"

OMG Aero

To be honest I'm kind of disappointed that they abandoned this idea for BW2 and just threw old Pokemon everywhere.

I agree that some of the designs just lost a huge chunk of creativity and are flat out strange in Black and White compared to the last four generations.

It's probably getting hard to stay creative 649 designs into the game. Most everything from cats and dogs to washing machines and lawn mowers has been referenced at this point.

Kokonoe

Banned
It's probably getting hard to stay creative 649 designs into the game. Most everything from cats and dogs to washing machines and lawn mowers have been referenced at this point.

You bring up a good point. To be honest, It really is difficult when they've made so many creative designs, and so many references to creatures, objects, and etc in that specific "Pokemon" style.

I think that specific style actually makes it harder.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I know no one really wants more water types but there are a whole crapload of fish and marine mammals they have not done yet.

Also thousands of plants and literally millions of insects.

It does sound somewhat difficult to keep it up - most any other game with such a large roster of creatures is going to have a good amount of them be recolors, or a base creature + a fancy hat. The majority of the dex is reasonably unique enough such that practically every single Pokemon is someone's favorite.

I know no one really wants more water types but there are a whole crapload of fish and marine mammals they have not done yet.

But there's the problem. It's just more fish, more plants, and more insects. Our world is unique with millions of species, but how many ways can you make a fish or bug look like a Pokémon?

Stunfisk isn't even water type, so they could always get away with making a fish that isn't water type.
They're nowhere near out of ideas, hell they still haven't done a dolphin Pokemon.

Unexpected typing, like Volcarona.

Sticking with moth Pokémon, a situation like Volcarona is much preferred to something like Venomoth -> Dustox.

Look, it's Dustox! Another bug/poison type moth that happens to have lower stats and be 10x uglier than the one we already had! Aren't you excited?

Boogiepop

Anyone have any particularly hilariously bad fanfiction? Looking for something stupidly funny to read with some friends during a car trip, and this seems like a good idea. I saw some stuff on Topless Robot's Fanfiction Friday, but the way they chop it up made it not exactly printer friendly.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think it'd be even better with Wi-Fi and friends list. 3DS online functionality would a plus too. I recall people using it to level up their Pokemon too.

Anyone still watch the anime? I've been going back and watching season 1. Brings back good memories!

I have the first 3-4 seasons on my computer that I need to revisit that I got recently. Haven't watched in many many years, but I look forward to viewing my favorite season, The Orange Islands, again.

Pokemon Anime was great.

Zeroth

Secret bases would be pretty cool in a 3DS game with StreetPass or SpotPass.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it would be one of the main points of moving the remakes to the 3DS. I mean, if you think about it, it's almost like the Secret Base concept was implemented with Streetpass/spotpass on mind, despite predating them for almost a decade.

MarkusRJR

Guys, something amazing happened yesterday. I went to my university's lost and found to find a hat that I lost a few days prior. When I went there I found not only my hat, but also my Pokemon Black DSi that someone stole from me a while back. Whoever stole it left a note saying "I'm sorry" in the case. I had my DSi stolen a few months back at the university's library when I went to the bathroom, only to find it missing when I came back. Anyway I don't think whoever took it played on it at all. It still had my Pokemon SoulSilver card in it and I was at the same place.

Faith in humanity restored. I'm so happy I wrote this all on my DSi. :')

You poor, unfortunate soul.

Speaking of unfortunate, it makes me wish that Nintendo stuck with Opera and delivered Opera Mobile 11.x on the 3DS. They went with the mess that is NetFront instead. :(

On a perhaps more related topic, I've always wondered whether you drawn your own avatar, Exty~ (May I call you that?)

(I still remember when you were a junior member and had a Dwebble as your avatar, right?)

shit, like countless city-birds and rats, but a dog (which there are just too many) does double duty as a tiger. and the only lion looks like a weird blue rodent! where is the justice?

shit, like countless city-birds and rats, but a dog (which there are just too many) does double duty as a tiger. and the only lion looks like a weird blue rodent! where is the justice?

There's justice, because the entire Luxray line is just plain awesome. It doesn't look like a rodent at all to me.

Unless... you're referring to something else?

Frost_Ace

Hk2fp.jpg

amazing.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I have a trade request please. I resarted my Black and White game so my gf and I could play from start to finish together. However because of that I no longer have the liberty pass i got when i first bought it at launch. Would someone be willing to trade me Victini?

Also, Anyone have a Bulbasaur for trade? He was always my favorite started, would like to get him into my game.

If anyone can I'll post my friend code, or just PM me :)

MarkusRJR

I tried to use my semi-broken DS lite (the touch screen is broken on it) to play Ruby and Sapphire only to find both games have bad batteries. How do I go about replacing them? :(

Also, where is a good place to buy a new DS lite? I want to play my GBA games again and I kind of just want a working DS lite (favorite handheld design ever). I don't have a credit card so my options are limited to Paypal only. What's the best DS lite color too?

I tried to use my semi-broken DS lite (the touch screen is broken on it) to play Ruby and Sapphire only to find both games have bad batteries. How do I go about replacing them? :(

Also, where is a good place to buy a new DS lite? I want to play my GBA games again and I kind of just want a working DS lite (favorite handheld design ever). I don't have a credit card so my options are limited to Paypal only. What's the best DS lite color too?

blue/black dslite or bust. you should get a gameboy micro though. those things are adorable.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Black/Blue? I thought those hybrid monstrosities were kind of gross looking when they came out. Although, it might look good with my blue/black 3DS XL.

How is the silver model?

I personally thought the all white and all black DS Lites were the best. most elegant looking.

Try a used video game store (Not Gamestop obviously). I know some of them are able to replace the batteries in those games...usually for around 5-10 bucks or so. You could also just trying to buy some other copies.

Always liked Red/Black. Not sure where you could find a new one...I swear I see them in Wal Marts but those are obviously the uh...more ghetto ones.

Top Bottom