• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

MikeMyers

BW has a habit of giving Hustle to pre-evos of powerful Pokémon, and I hate it.

Deino was such a frustrating experience; worthwhile, but maddening.

Deino gets a free pass because all pseudo-legendaries are hard to train.

But Darumaka? Nah, after he got his ass kicked at the Bug Gym I got rid of him. My Servine, Throh, and Sandile all handled that gym fine despite their type.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Salamance and Garchomp aren't that difficult to train.

Well with unlimited TMs and the fact that you get most of them rather late none of them will be hard anymore unless someone really nerfs their learned/egg moves.

Training up my Gen IV Gible was an absolute breeze, and it was actually capable of landing a hit.

It also evolves at a reasonable level, unlike Deino's ridiculous Lv.50 evolution.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They completely reworked the exp curve though so hitting 50 isn't a huge deal. The problem with that guy is that he isn't even done at 50!

MikeMyers

I never raised a Gibile, but I did on the others

With Bagon I had to breed my Gyarados with him to get Dragon Dance, and then raise it from Level 5, which took a while.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I never raised a Gibile, but I did on the others

With Bagon I had to breed my Gyarados with him to get Dragon Dance, and then raise it from Level 5, which took a while.

If you want egg moves of course it is going to take a bit longer. What I'm saying is that his stats and level up moves are crippled.

The other ones like Dratini or Beldum or Larvitar have bad moves or typing. Bagon is pretty well off all things considered.

Zeroth

After many days of pain and blood and pokeballs, I finally got a HP Ice Timid Virizion (all thanks to Coltrainer for figuring out the frame problem, please give him a trophy or something!). That was quite painful, but a great way to learn more about RNG abuse and stuff.

Your move Masuda

MikeMyers

If you want egg moves of course it is going to take a bit longer. What I'm saying is that his stats and level up moves are crippled.

The other ones like Dratini or Beldum or Larvitar have bad moves or typing. Bagon is pretty well off all things considered.

Oh yeah, that is true.

How does everyone rank the pseudo legendaries? For me.

06. Metagorss
05. Dragonite
04. Garchomp
03. Hydreigon
02. Tyranitar
01. Salamence

Still thought it was silly for you to get Gible so early in Platinum, along with tm 26.

1. Dratini
2. Gible
3. Lavitar
4. Bagon
5. Beldum
6. Deino

EuroMIX

Ah, I can remember when, during Gen III specifically, I would raise a full Dragon team, non-pure due to the likes of Gyarados (he should have been Water/Dragon dammit!), and take on the likes of the Elite Four. As you can imagine, Glacia was a bitch for me. I can remember Brick Breaking, and maybe Flamethrowing, her with Salamence.

I love Dragons. :3

MikeMyers

Ah, I can remember when, during Gen III specifically, I would raise a full Dragon team, non-pure due to the likes of Gyarados (he should have been Water/Dragon dammit!), and take on the likes of the Elite Four. As you can imagine, Glacia was a bitch for me. I can remember Brick Breaking, and maybe Flamethrowing, her with Salamence.

I love Dragons. :3

If you had Gyarados you could just use him to take on Glacia.

I have use Gyarados in every Pokemon game I've played.

EuroMIX

If you had Gyarados you could just use him to take on Glacia.

What moves would you have advised? I'm curious. I'm not always up to date on strategies.

I have use Gyarados in every Pokemon game I've played.

I tend to since it's probably my favourite Pokémon. Obviously can't get one in B/W due to it not existing, except maybe post-game (not there yet). I remember years ago wishing that I could hack one with Volt Absorb for the coverage and the lulz.

Also CompoundEyes Galvantula with Thunder is like the best thing ever. It's almost as good as having ThunderBolt with 120 power. Reminds me of when I used to give Kyogre Thunder and combine it with Drizzle for perfect accuracy. I swear I thought of that before even reading a guide or tip, and while it may sound like an obvious idea, it was massive to me back then. I've known people who own Ruby who have asked for me to trade Kyogre for Groudon because the former is that much better. Maybe that's part of the reason I actually like R/S so much, because it's they are of the few Gens where the secondary game felt like it was on an equal footing or maybe even superior to the primary one.

Also, why do I see so many people referring to SoulSilver as SuperiorSilver. Is this some sort of in-joke or it there a reason. I'm not complaining, just wondering.

(I waffle and ask too many questions, I know).

MikeMyers

I tend to since it's probably my favourite Pokémon. Obviously can't get one in B/W due to it not existing, except maybe post-game (not there yet). I remember years ago wishing that I could hack one with Volt Absorb for the coverage and the lulz.

After you beat the game, you can go to Marvelous Bridge and get the Magikarp from the Magikarp Salesman.

1. Hydreigon
2. Tyranitar
3. Salamence
4. Garchomp
5. Metagross
6. Dragonite

Awesome choices there! I guess Dragonite got the shaft because he's a bit too weird, huh?

I've always had a soft spot for cute stuff, though, so... yeah, you might have noticed that my list is a bit different most of the time.

Awesome choices there! I guess Dragonite got the shaft because he's a bit too weird, huh?

I've always had a soft spot for cute stuff, though, so... yeah, you might have noticed that my list is a bit different most of the time.

It's not him; it's me. I'm the weird one.

Hydreigon is my favourite for a few reasons, though: Dark-type, excellent design and great movepool.

Schmitty

Game Freak would rather make remakes and have you buy them for $40 each instead. R/S/E remake can't come here fast enough. :(

I'm replaying through Sapphire now, and I'm really not digging it. Way too many HMs required for everything, so now I'm hoping for no remake

I freaking love Haxorus. (Do we have more in common?)
We both like very good Pokémon, apparently. :)
Well, you're both very pleasant and have good taste, so there's that.
Aww, cheers. You're good people, ScraftyDevil.
It's definitely going to happen since HeartGold happened.
"Ah, yeah, Grey's definitely going to happen. Every game's had a third version!"

I don't necessarily disagree that RSE remakes are coming (I think they're shuffling the release schedule, but that's a different argument...), but Game Freak don't really seem to be doing much by way of tradition at the moment.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't necessarily disagree that RSE remakes are coming (I think they're shuffling the release schedule, but that's a different argument...), but Game Freak don't really seem to be doing much by way of tradition at the moment.

I had a feeling someone was going to mention that, but being that....you know.

I would strongly suggest that you do not ask me about my musical tastes, if you want to keep that impression. :p

It's cringe-worthy!

Also, is it just me, or are Haxorus and Hydreigon super-huggable?

Hey, if you've ever paid a visit to my Tumblr page then you'd know that I have the most eclectic taste in music ever.

Oh, and by the way:

2198%20-%20ghetsis%20Hydeigon%20Sazandora.jpg

(Thanks to whoever posted this earlier!)

*just saw the last page*

I...didn't even know Darumaka's ability did that. He missed moves maybe a fourth of the time...if that. My only issue was that he didn't take damage very well but since he evolved, things have changed a little.

Zeroth

Metagross is just awesome. It was nice to have a pseudo-legendary that wasn't Dragon-something for once, and that GF introduced two of them in the same generation.

Top Bottom