• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

OMG Aero

I tried to use my semi-broken DS lite (the touch screen is broken on it) to play Ruby and Sapphire only to find both games have bad batteries. How do I go about replacing them? :(

Are we talking like, the batteries are actually dead and won't retain a save any more? Or just the thing where time events like berry growth stops working?

MarkusRJR

Are we talking like, the batteries are actually dead and won't retain a save any more? Or just the thing where time events like berry growth stops working?
Time events and berry growth. But I have a few other Game Boy games that need batteries replaced. Does it require a soldering iron?

MarkusRJR

I don't have a Game Boy anymore. I have been using my DS lite to play them. But isn't it possible the battery just died? :/

Oh, and if it's the berry glitch can't I just do a new game and it'd disappear?

EDIT: "However, in games afflicted by a dead battery, there is a message just after the title screen: "The internal battery has run dry. The game can be played. However, clock-based events will no longer occur." In contrast, games being affected by the glitch will not have that message"

I don't have the glitch, my battery is just dead.

Kokonoe

Banned
They really should make a "Pokemon Collection" cartridge for the 3DS. Least that way you can play older Pokemon games without losing your save file, or errors with berries.

MarkusRJR

They really should make a "Pokemon Collection" cartridge for the 3DS. Least that way you can play older Pokemon games without losing your save file, or errors with berries.
Game Freak would rather make remakes and have you buy them for $40 each instead. R/S/E remake can't come here fast enough. :(

But then they'd have to deal with people whining about how they can't transfer those Pokemon into their modern-day cartridge.

MikeMyers

How do you guys think Blue beat the E4 in R&B??

With the team of Arcanine, Gyarados, Exeggutor, Rhydon, Pidgeot, and Alakazam.

Gyarados > Bruno
Alakazam > Agatha
Rhydon > Lance (except Hydro Pump Gyarados)

Wonder how he beat Loreli though?

Could a 3DS game hold that many gameboy games? I mean I love the idea, just wonder if the 3DS carts can hold that much memory/space/whatever. I wouldn't get rid of my hard copies but something like that would be so great.

And Blue beat Lorelei with Alakazam obviously. A strong Psychic Pokemon with Psychic could take down almost everything. Nothing was safe. Screw Alakazam, Gengar for life.

Kokonoe

Banned
Could a 3DS game hold that many gameboy games? I mean I love the idea, just wonder if the 3DS carts can hold that much memory/space/whatever. I wouldn't get rid of my hard copies but something like that would be so great.

And Blue beat Lorelei with Alakazam obviously. A strong Psychic Pokemon with Psychic could take down almost everything. Nothing was safe.

3DS Carts wouldn't even budge at the amount of space it would take.

MarkusRJR

But yeah, does anyone know where I can get the batteries replaced on these games? I mean there has to be somewhere I can get them repaired...

...right?

Exeggutor took out Lorelei. Grass > Water, remember? If we're talking OG R/B, then only two of her Pokemon have damage-dealing Ice moves. Gary easily could get past that. Even in FireRed/LeafGreen, Lorelei's team still doesn't have shit.

MikeMyers

Exeggutor took out Lorelei. Grass > Water, remember? If we're talking OG R/B, then only two of her Pokemon have damage-dealing Ice moves. Gary easily could get past that. Even in FireRed/LeafGreen, Lorelei's team still doesn't have shit.

Gary's Exeggutor only has Stomp/Hypnosis/Barrage though.

But yeah, does anyone know where I can get the batteries replaced on these games? I mean there has to be somewhere I can get them repaired...

...right?

Like I said earlier...used/retro videogame store if you have one around. Some of them can do it. Or get the tools and follow the tutorials Koko posted.

Kokonoe

Banned
Apart from my original idea of a "Pokemon Collection", they could also input Pokemon spinoff games like Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Stadium 2, Pokemon Snap, and etc. If there were two separate collections, I'd buy that as well.

Apart from my original idea of a "Pokemon Collection", they could also input Pokemon spinoff games like Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Stadium 2, Pokemon Snap, and etc. If there were two separate collections, I'd buy that as well.

They should name it the Pokemon Battle Collection. Snap, Pinball and such could be bonus features for the mainline collection. I don't think a collection of those games by themselves would entice many but you never know. It's Pokemon.

MarkusRJR

I emailed the only "local" game shop (it's a 20 minute drive) in town that isn't Gamestop or Microplay. They apparently have a battery replacement service! I'm so fucking happy right now. :')

EDIT: Also, I want a god damn sequel to Pokemon Stadium already. Imagine Pokemon Stadium 3 with every Pokemon ever plus support to play on the big screen and Wii U Pad. Oh, and online battles with video/voice chat. I would cry from the awesomeness.

MarkusRJR

I haven't had a ditto since gen 2, but they can breed with every Pokemon right? I want to make a Victini egg to trade over to my copy of White.

Awww.

Cuteness Overload
(Yesterday, 03:30 PM)

We're a nice little community, TBF. Give the IRC chat a go!
I just turned on avatars for the first time in forever and I'm absolutely in love with yours. 2 of the best gen 5 Pokemon together. :')

I haven't had a ditto since gen 2, but they can breed with every Pokemon right? I want to make a Victini egg to trade over to my copy of White.

Every Pokémon that isn't a legendary (Manaphy aside), so no Victini egg, I'm afraid.

I just turned on avatars for the first time in forever and I'm absolutely in love with yours. 2 of the best gen 5 Pokemon together. :')

Aww, thanks. :)

Credit goes to ScraftyDevil for bringing it to my attention.

The AI in R&B is really bad, most of them just use Normal Moves.

Gengar completely walls like half the game.
From what I read, the AI pretty much says "Bias towards using the most super-effective move you have according to a type-lookup", without regards towards whether the move actually does damage.

...Which actually explains something unusual that happened on one of my first playthroughs of Blue. I was on Lance, all of my Pokemon were fainted, save for the (relatively) weak Hitmonchan I brought along. I was on Lance's last Pokemon (Dragonite), and all it used was Barrier, as I slowly wore it down. I think I attributed it to luck when it happened.

Of course, after that was Gary...

Interesting bit of info: the Undiscovered group (no eggs) also includes Nidorina and Nidoqueen.

I think it was probably a programming oversight the first time it happened in GS, and GF decided to roll with it going forward instead of changing it.

Kokonoe

Banned
The drawing is cute, I'm not disputing that. I'm just not a fan of the Pokemon involved.

Ah, well I think since you said that the ScraftyDevil war won't begin.

I like Dwebble's evolve form personally.

0S3lo.png

Yeah, I don't really tend go for looks when choosing Pokemon. At least not at first. I go for what type I need, then how their stats are/what moves they learn, then I hope they don't look like an idiot.

Usually pick Pokemon based on looks but sometimes I just catch one, I end up having to emergency use them a few times to save my skin and then I grow attached to them because they helped me out of a scrap and now I can't abandon them. Such is the case with Darumaka.

My definition of cute tends to differ from others.

MikeMyers

Usually pick Pokemon based on looks but sometimes I just catch one, I end up having to emergency use them a few times to save my skin and then I grow attached to them because they helped me out of a scrap and now I can't abandon them. Such is the case with Darumaka.

My definition of cute tends to differ from others.

I hate Darumaka.

He missed against the Bug Gym Every. Single. Time.

I'd rather use Flareon than use Darumaka in B&W2.

BW has a habit of giving Hustle to pre-evos of powerful Pokémon, and I hate it.

Deino was such a frustrating experience; worthwhile, but maddening.

Yeah, but it actually makes sense with Deino, what with him having no eyes and all.

But yes, Hustle rivals Klutz as the most annoying ability to have on an in-training Pokémon.

Top Bottom