• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

N4Us

I poisoned a Trubbish, I had no idea that was possible

tumblr_m7ys7yECjY1rb6iq1o1_500.jpg

Wiseblade

IIRC it is possible, it's just that Poison-Type Pokémon can't be poisoned by Poison-Type moves. Similarly to how Fire Pokémon are immune to burns through Fire-Type moves, but can be burned by Scald.

Yea I've had that happen before and was a bit shocked too. You think they'd fix that little oversight or leave it in, arguing that there are various types of poison and poison Pokemon aren't immune to all of them? The fire Pokemon getting burned bugged me a tad.

Wait a second... Was it a Trubbish or something like a Zorua using Illusion? I thought Poison and Steel types were immune to being poisoned from any source? I'm racking my brain trying to figure out ways to do this.

Did you use an attack like Soak to change its type first?

I don't think a case like Scald works either. Twineedle is a Bug move, but it can't poison a Poison type.

Wiseblade

Wait a second... Was it a Trubbish or something like a Zorua using Illusion? I thought Poison and Steel types were immune to being poisoned from any source? I'm racking my brain trying to figure out ways to do this.

Did you use an attack like Soak to change its type first?

I don't think a case like Scald works either. Twineedle is a Bug move, but it can't poison a Poison type.

What about abilities like Effect Spore or Synchronize?

What about abilities like Effect Spore or Synchronize?

I'm not sure. I've been looking it up, but all I can find are people saying "Poison types can't be poisoned" without going into specifics.

EDIT: From Bulbapedia, to reinforce what Beef said.

"Synchronize passes on status problems to the opponent that caused the problem. Synchronize will not pass on the Sleep or Frozen status conditions, or if the status condition was obtained from items such as the Flame Orb. Synchronize will have no effect if the other Pokémon has a type or Ability that prevents them from being Poisoned, Paralyzed, or Burned."

MikeMyers

Yeah it was in GSC.

So, I'm 3 badges throughout Platinum and Gible is disappointing so far. Dude is fragile and I'm basically giving him the same treatment I gave to Magikarp (babying). I'm considering ditching him

Is it really that good?

I dunno why but it looks totally unappealing to me :x

You see I thought this for years myself (not helped that my friend decided that showing me the abortion of a movie was a good idea) but I took the plunge earlier this year and it was a wise decision.

I'm not sure. I've been looking it up, but all I can find are people saying "Poison types can't be poisoned" without going into specifics.

EDIT: From Bulbapedia, to reinforce what Beef said.

"Synchronize passes on status problems to the opponent that caused the problem. Synchronize will not pass on the Sleep or Frozen status conditions, or if the status condition was obtained from items such as the Flame Orb. Synchronize will have no effect if the other Pokémon has a type or Ability that prevents them from being Poisoned, Paralyzed, or Burned."

What about Poison point?

Also A:TLA is a pretty good show, not gonna lie.

Kokonoe

Banned
It took until I believe November/December of last year for me to finally watch the Avatar series, and I enjoyed it. I think it ended in a way in which another series really wasn't needed, but I'll get around to watching Korra eventually.

N4Us

It was just a Trubbish (no Zoroark or anything), I hit him with Toxic (it was a double battle and I meant to hit the other pokemon but the other one fainted) and I didn't use Soak or any type-changing moves.

Boogiepop

I really should give Avatar another chance at some point. Tried like the first 10 episodes or so when they were coming out, and I just didn't enjoy it at all. But I've heard it gets better, so I'll probably have to give it another shot sometime.

I really should give Avatar another chance at some point. Tried like the first 10 episodes or so when they were coming out, and I just didn't enjoy it at all. But I've heard it gets better, so I'll probably have to give it another shot sometime.

The first season is a snoozefest compared to the 2nd and 3rd. Definitely try and gut it out until the 2nd season before judging it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Off topic:

I'd say the first few episodes are what got me into the series, and it's not really a spoiler, but i'll spoiler this part.
during the last 10 or so episodes, it gets really "meh", so to speak. Other than that, I'd say I like pretty much the whole thing. The finale makes up for those episodes.

On topic:

What's the best Turtle/Tortoise Pokemon?

It was just a Trubbish (no Zoroark or anything), I hit him with Toxic (it was a double battle and I meant to hit the other pokemon but the other one fainted) and I didn't use Soak or any type-changing moves.

I guess it was a glitch related to you aiming for the other Pokemon then. I'd be none too happy if someone managed to poison my Trubbish though. Haha.

Just to be sure Trubbish doesn't have an inherent problem with being poisoned, I found a wild Trubbish and tried to use Toxic on it. It failed every time as one would expect. So under normal circumstances Trubbish behaves as it should.

Top Bottom