• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

MikeMyers

Who would win at equal levels?

TEAM LANCE:
Gyarados: Dragon Pulse/Flail/Waterfall/Ice Fang
Dragonite: Thunder Wave/Hyper Beam/Dragon Rush/Thunder
Aerdactyl: Thunder Fang/Rock Slide/Aerial Ace/Crunch
Dragonite: Thunder Wave/Hyper Beam/Dragon Rush/Blizzard
Charizard: Air Slash/Fire Fang/Shadow Claw/Dragon Claw
Dragonite: Safeguard/Hyper Beam/Outrage/Fire Blast

TEAM CYNTHIA:
Spiritomb: Sucker Punch/Double Team/Will-O-Wisp
Milotic: Hydro Pump/Blizzard/Dragon Tail/Bulldoze
Braviary: Shadow Claw/Crush Claw/Brave Bird/Retalitate
Lucario: Aura Sphere/ExtremeSpeed/Dragon Pulse/Close Combat
Elektross: Flamethrower/Dragon Claw/Crunch/Wild Charge
Garchomp: Stone Edge/Earthquake/Dragon Rush/Crunch

I think if Cynthia manages to take down Gyarados, Milotic and Garchomp can sweep easily.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wonder if there's an AI simulator out there to find that sort of thing out. Like putting two CPU players in Smash against eachother.

I'll never understand why they chose to swap out Cynthia's Togekiss for Braviary in Gen V. Such a poor decision.

Cynth would totally win regardless.

Cynthia's team is just way more balanced compared to Lance's. Also Blizzard on Milotic.

I wonder if there's an AI simulator out there to find that sort of thing out. Like putting two CPU players in Smash against eachother.

That would actually be pretty cool.

MikeMyers

Up until this gen, Gyarados was always on at least one Champion team.

Gen I Gary has Gyarados if you chose Squritle or Bulbasaur in Red & Blue
Gen II: Lance has one in Gold, Silver, and Crystal.
Gen III: Gary has Gyarados if you chose Squritle or Bulbasaur in Fire Red & Leaf Green
Gen III: Wallace has a Gyarados in Emerald
Gen IV: Lance has a Gyarados in Heart Gold & Soul Silver.

But no Gen V Champion with Gyarados.

That can only mean one thing...Emerald remake confirmed for a late late late DS release to allow Wallace to have a Gyarados on his team. It all makes sense now!

Younicorn

Neo Member
Looking for advice here.

I hatched a shiny Tirtouga and am looking for an opinion on how to EV train him.

His IV's are as follows: 22/8/30/25/0/20.

It's the 0 in Special Defense that concerns me. He has the Solid Rock ability, which will reduce super effective attacks by 1/4, but I'm wondering if I should put 252 into Special Defense and 252 into HP to essentially make him a tank, or do I put 252 into Attack since it's only an 8?

His Defense IV is 30, and that's his highest base stat, so should I just put all 252 into Defense and 252 into HP? Or 252 into Def and Att?

My mind hurts thinking about the possibilities of this one - I just don't want his 0 in Sp Def to be such a glaring weakness that he can be OHKO'd super easy.

Thoughts?

Wiseblade

Yeah... Breeding for another shiny Tirtouga isn't exactly worth the effort just to get a higher IV in Speed.

Asking for advice on how to handle my current Tirtouga given its stats.

Anyone?

Well, what can I say? Carracosta's defence stat is impressive, but his base HP is pretty mediocre and S.Def is poor. On top of that he's weak to three of the most common offensive types with no notable resistances. Carracosta simply isn't suited to defensive builds.

Offensively he's better, having Shell Smash to alleviate his abysmal speed, but he still needs every point he can get. While his special movepool isn't too bad (recieving Surf/Hydro Pump, Ice Beam and Focus Blast), his physical movepool is better (Waterfall/Aqua Tail, Earthquake and Rock Slide/Stone Edge). But your Tirtouga's ATK ius almost non-existent.

So while you could go with a special based Shell Smash build, I would just try again and aim for better Atk and Speed stats.

MikeMyers

Since yesterday I mentioned Lance fighting Cynthia, why don't we rank the champions.

01. Blue
02. Cynthia
03. Lance
04. Wallace
05. Steven
06. Alder

I swear we just had this discussion (Like all the others)

Cynthia (First by a wide margin. Even her music is the best Champion theme)
Blue
Lance
Steven (I sadly have never fought him as the Champ)

...and everyone else.

Wallace

Wiseblade

I always hated Lance. Even in Red Blue where he only had, like, 3 lines. I just thought he sounded really arrogant especially for a guy who wasn't the final boss and just got beat by a 10 year old kid 15 minutes before you show up. Wallace just doesn't have what it takes to be a champion either. His team is a joke. Steven Stone Had a METAGROSS. Wallace has a Wailord.

Ever notice how they both wear capes too?

1. Gary
2. Lance
3. Steven
4. Alder
5. Cynthia

19942876.jpg

MikeMyers

I always hated Lance. Even in Red Blue where he only had, like, 3 lines. I just thought he sounded really arrogant especially for a guy who wasn't the final boss and just got beat by a 10 year old kid 15 minutes before you show up. Wallace just doesn't have what it takes to be a champion either. His team is a joke. Steven Stone Had a METAGROSS. Wallace has a Wailord.

Ever notice how they both wear capes too?

I own a cape as well.

And Lance's Champion them in GSC was awesome.

Problem with Lance is that that dude is just way into Dragonite. 3 Dragonites is boring.

MikeMyers

I remember the first time I saw Cynthia in the anime first thing she did was buy Ice Cream from Team Rocket.

I always liked Clair as well, but she isn't a Champion.

MikeMyers

Only thing Alder has going for him is the Akuma hair, other than that, he's boring.

Lance loses points because he uses Gameshark

And Wallace would totally destroy Steven in a fight.

She is a jerk but I kinda like it when a gym leader isn't all buddy buddy with you and isn't so quick to think you're all that and pack of Pichu.

1.Red
2.Blue
3.Cynthia
4.Steven
5.Lance
6.Alder

Red's the final hard trainer of Gold and Silver. And he's silent and has epic music. No one else is worthy of No. 1.

Kokonoe

Banned
1.Red
2.Blue
3.Cynthia
4.Steven
5.Lance
6.Alder

Red's the final hard trainer of Gold and Silver. And he's silent and has epic music. No one else is worthy of No. 1.

Well I mean if we're going by that, of course Red is number one. I'd honestly consider that battle the best battle in all of Pokemon.

Gravijah

alder has the worst champion battle theme in the series.

Well I mean if we're going by that, of course Red is number one. I'd honestly consider that battle the best battle in all of Pokemon.

VS BLUE is still the greatest battle in the series, in my opinion. facing your rival as champion is just hard to live up to.

Top Bottom