• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Kokonoe

Banned
VS BLUE is still the greatest battle in the series, in my opinion. facing your rival as champion is just hard to live up to.

I like the Red battle more because it's more of a "face yourself" kind of battle. It'll never be replicated in that sense due to how big Pokemon was at the time, and how iconic it was.

I'd say the Gary battle is my second favorite.

I like the Red battle more because it's more of a "face yourself" kind of battle. It'll never be replicated in that sense due to how big Pokemon was at the time, and how iconic it was.

I'd say the Gary battle is my second favorite.

Totally agree, Red #1, Gary #2.
Especially since you had no idea what to expect while "climbing" Mt. Silver.

Also what happened to your avatar? :$

Zeroth

deino.png

Modest
31/X/31/31/31/31

After *many* tries and some serious help with egg RNG, I finally managed to get my precious shiny Deino :)

Now all I need to do is get a good Jellicent and my Super Train team will be ready!

MikeMyers

Ok, we did a champion, now for a RIVAL BATTLE:

BLUE:
Exggutor: Psychic/Leaf Storm/Hypnosis/Trick Room
Rhydon: Stone Edge/Earthquake/Meaghorn/Thunder Fang
Machamp: ThunderPunch/Stone Edge/Earthquake/DynamicPunch
Gyarados: Dragon Dance/Waterfall/Ice Fang/Return
Arcaine: ExtremeSpeed/Dragon Pulse/Flare Blitz/Roar
Pidgeot: Whilwind/Return/Mirror Move/Air Slash

SILVER
Sneasel: Shadow Claw/Faint Attack/Icy Wind/Metal Claw
Magneton: Discharge/Magnet Bomb/Mirror Shot/Thunder Wave
Gengar: Dark Pulse/Confuse Ray/Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball
Crobat: Air Cutter/Bite/Confuse Ray/Toxic
Alakazam: Psychic/Reflect/Focus Blast/Recover
Feraligator: Slash/Crunch/Aqua Tail/Ice Fang

Silver can have any starter, but I gave him Totodile as most players seem to pick Cyndaquil as their starter (although I always go for Chikorita).

Kabuto

whoever invented "shaking grass" at Gamefreak needs to be fired...
"let's make something random have a 5% chance to catch anything but a Audino."
Audino does give crazy xp but it's still not one of my most favorite things that has come out of Gen V.

Gravijah

whoever invented "shaking grass" at Gamefreak needs to be fired...
"let's make something random have a 5% chance to catch anything but a Audino."
Audino does give crazy xp but it's still not one of my most favorite things that has come out of Gen V.

it's my favorite thing to come out of Gen V because it makes raising in game teams so much easier. if i want to add a new Pokemon to the team, i just have to find some Audino. since i love using tons of different Pokemon, it means i don't have to sit forever grinding.

MikeMyers

Flareon has appeared on the Elite 4 more than any other Eevee evolution.

Flareon:
01. Gary
02. Flint

Vaperon:
01. Gary

Jolteon:
01. Gary

Espeon:
01. Lucian

Umbreon:
01. Karen

FINALLY FLAREON WINS SOMETHING

THE MORE YOU KNOW

Kabuto

it's my favorite thing to come out of Gen V because it makes raising in game teams so much easier. if i want to add a new Pokemon to the team, i just have to find some Audino. since i love using tons of different Pokemon, it means i don't have to sit forever grinding.

I love Audino too. The level 47 ones on route 12 give around 5000 xp, which is amazing, but I would also like to find the Unfezant I want. still haven't seen one after being here for over an hour. On another note, does anyone with White Version want to trade for a Thunderus or any White exclusives? GTS trades are way too unreasonable. A Deoxys for a Solosis? yeah no.

Kokonoe

Banned
Flareon has appeared on the Elite 4 more than any other Eevee evolution.

Flareon:
01. Gary
02. Flint

Vaperon:
01. Gary

Jolteon:
01. Gary

Espeon:
01. Lucian

Umbreon:
01. Karen

FINALLY FLAREON WINS SOMETHING

THE MORE YOU KNOW

And Flareon is half the battle.

MikeMyers

No wonder they won't give Flareon anything. He's so OP, he's always in the E4!

According to Flint in Platinum, Gamefreak apparently thinks his best set is Overheat/Giga Impact/Quick Attack/Will-O-Wisp

Maybe in the RSE remake Steven can have a Flareon he can use to tank Fire hits for his Steel Pokemon.

Flint may be one of my least favourite E4 members.
besides all of gen 5's elite 4
For a "Master fire-type trainer" he sure lacks in fire-type pokemon. (In D/P I mean)

For a "Master fire-type trainer" he sure lacks in fire-type pokemon. (In D/P I mean)

What? Flint's interactions with Volkner are great. Now that bug guy? He sucks. Have him give the title to Volkner.

Whoa man; Grimsley's the best Elite Four member. He uses the best type, has the best taste in regards to his team, and by far the best and most philisophical quotes in the game. Plus, just look at that swag:

079.gif

Frost_Ace

Woah just found out that magic coat gained priority this gen...might be useful with some pokes.

Whoa man; Grimsley's the best Elite Four member. He uses the best type, has the best taste in regards to his team, and by far the best and most philisophical quotes in the game. Plus, just look at that swag: [/QUOTE]"]
Whoa man; Grimsley's the best Elite Four member. He uses the best type, has the best taste in regards to his team, and by far the best and most philisophical quotes in the game. Plus, just look at that swag:

Yep, he is pretty awesome, too bad his team sucks a bit :(

Wiseblade

That's all you got? What is he, some kind of bug? Look at his hair! Then look at Volkner, then back to Aaron and then back to Volkner. Sadly, he is not Volkner...blah blah blah.

HOW CAN YOU HATE THIS

AaronPlatinum.gif

I just imagine people walking into the first room of the Pokémon League, to Aaron falling from the rafter and proclaiming "Welcome to the Elite Four!"

Anth0ny

VS BLUE is still the greatest battle in the series, in my opinion. facing your rival as champion is just hard to live up to.

How about facing your character from the last game?

Facing Red was probably the most mindblowing experience I will ever have in a video game. I did not have access to the Internet playing through Gold, so there were no spoilers. Came out of fucking nowhere. Soooooo good.

Gravijah

How about facing your character from the last game?

Facing Red was probably the most mindblowing experience I will ever have in a video game. I did not have access to the Internet playing through Gold, so there were no spoilers. Came out of fucking nowhere. Soooooo good.

just didn't do as much. there's no buildup to it. you just randomly wander around and then hey it's red and he uses lance's theme!

FFS guys, stop even hinting at BW2 stuff. People have made it perfectly clear that they don't want to hear it.

Also, while the Red battle was a good moment, some of its power was robbed by the fact it was so easy. I shouldn't be able to beat him with a team in the 60s.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
FFS guys, stop even hinting at BW2 stuff. People have made it perfectly clear that they don't want to hear it.

Also, while the Red battle was a good moment, some of its power was robbed by the fact it was so easy. I shouldn't be able to beat him with a team in the 60s.

Kanto scaling could have been better. I beat him in SS with an Infernape at 60, so there is also the fact that too many of his guys had similar weaknesses.

Kokonoe

Banned

Wasn't easy to me. I also recall having a 1-2 hour battle with him in HeartGold.

I think my first fight with Cynthia took over a hour and a half. That Garchomp OHKO everyone in my party and I kept having to revive them.

As for Red...I strangely didn't have much trouble with him, even though his party was really high leveled. Tyranitar (Ugly as he may be) rolled over most of that party by himself.

Kokonoe

Banned
I had literally zero potions or revives when I fought Cynthia as I didn't really prepare for that elite four well. As I said before, if I didn't google Lucario's weakness, I most likely would have lost.

MikeMyers

My Level 50 Gyarados took out Cynthia in like 5 minutes.

It was very intense. I was surprised myself after I saw the time.

Red in HG/SS is a lot harder than in GSC.

GSC Red is actually easily.

Graveler/Rhydon>Pikachu
Dark Type>Espeon (only has Psychic and Shift)
Ghost>Snorlax (doesnt have anything to hit ghosts with)

The starters can be taken down with something that has a type advantage.

Kokonoe

Banned
My Level 50 Gyarados took out Cynthia in like 5 minutes.

Red in HG/SS is a lot harder than in GSC.

GSC Red is actually easily.

Graveler/Rhydon>Pikachu
Dark Type>Espeon (only has Psychic and Shift)
Ghost>Snorlax (doesnt have anything to hit ghosts with)

The starters can be taken down with something that has a type advantage.

I recall the details, I'm referring to another point just for whatever. It still wasn't easy for me at the time.

I agree, Gyrados makes mincemeat of Garchomp. I usually never run with a full party in Platinum and enjoy getting through the game with the least amount of Pokemon I can. Last time I beat it with just Infernape and Gengar.

Most of my champion battles these days involve me with an underleveled team selecting one chosen pokemon to get pumped up with tons of X items (or use their own stat boosting moves if they have any) to simply power and defence up so they can just sweep through to victory. Hate the pre elite 4 grinding they expect you to do, the gap in levels between elite 4 members always seemed a bit silly to me.

Top Bottom