• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I don't really like either of them. But I prefer Kyogre since he's also an X-Man.

89404-147391-flubber.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
Groudon.

1. It's red, and I prefer that over blue.
2. Much more unique design compared to Kyogre. The tail has four upside down claw blades, which is such an interesting design.
3. Kyogre is more smooth in design, but Groudon has my appeal towards it with all the groves and spikes on it. Kyogre has more of a tattoo design.

Kyogre. Its design and markings reminds me of Native American painting of an Orca whale:
killerwhale2.jpg

Plus, it has an amazing range of learnable moves and a better ability.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kyogre. Its design and markings reminds me of Native American painting of an Orca whale:
killerwhale2.jpg

Plus, it has an amazing range of learnable moves and a better ability.

Your mom reminds me of an orca whale. :O

But I agree, Kyogre is pretty cool.

Kokonoe

Banned
Wow, I never knew about a lot of stuff on there. Who knew there were so many crazy glitches?

From viewing the list, I never really encountered or noticed most of those. I figured Subsitute at the time was intended to off you if you barely had HP, and I also used Fissure to take out a Blastoise during PvP.

Ghosts being immune to struggle makes sense. That Fly/Dig one sounds crazy, glad I never encountered it. Hyper Beam I actually liked that, but for a competitive environment, I see how it can be discouraging.

Sleep was improved upon in later releases which is nice.

I love how they treat Rayquaza's arrival in Emerald like the friggin' Rapture. 20 seconds and one "BITCHES, CALM YO TITS" later, he's back to being irrelevant. xD

Zeroth

Because of Gen 1, it took me a long time before I learned that you can get unfrozen in battle...

Same, I actually only found that out some months ago. I remember importing my Mewtwo to pokemon stadium, sweep the gym leaders and stop at an Articuno who managed to freeze me. It was quite painful watching it slowly tear me down.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Now let's discuss an actual bad Pokemon game, Battle Revolution.
Who here has played the one player mode?

I have. Wanted to beat it because of the surfing Pikachu. But you can't transfer HM moves to Gen 5 so I finally gave up.

Did you get to the "Wheel"? That Wheel is...terrible.

oh_god_why_guy_rage_face_meme_poster-rc383aa28a2e04ebb908b464c77ece243_a21y_328.jpg

That wasn't even fair. I'm pretty sure the devs live off of the tears of Custom Pass users, because that crap was broken. 103% of the time, the opponent would get my Metagross or Infernape and I'd be stuck with some crummy Shieldon.

But I persevered. I stuck it through and continued playing until I reached this motherhubbard:

Mysterial.png

So many Legendaries.

So many Legendaries.

Kokonoe

Banned
http://my-popart-portrait.com/images/oh_god_why_guy_rage_face_meme_poster-rc383aa28a2e04ebb908b464c77ece243_a21y_328.jpg?bg=0xFFFFFF[img]

That wasn't even fair. I'm pretty sure the devs live off of the tears of Custom Pass users, because that crap was broken. 103% of the time, the opponent would get my Metagross or Infernape and I'd be stuck with some crummy Shieldon.

But I persevered. I stuck it through and continued playing until I reached this motherhubbard:

[img]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/0/0b/Mysterial.png[img]

So many Legendaries.

[i]So many Legendaries.[/i][/QUOTE]

It was by far the worst experience I've ever had with a Pokemon game. I have no idea why I kept trying to beat it either, but I eventually diid with skill and luck. I forgot why, I think I believe it was due to the fact that I didn't have proper Pokemon for some of the parts (due to the restrictions), but I believe I did it with the rental pass but I may be unsure. The Pokemon they give you have the oddest move sets.

I could very well write an article on what I didn't like about the game and it's flaws, there are many. The game only has these redeeming qualities.

1. Play Pokemon randomly online
2. Play Pokemon in 3D
3. Build a character but with limited customization

It also fails at the playing Pokemon 3D part due to the transferring Pokemon feature. I suppose then I would not halt to keep playing a game regardless of how bad it was because I felt I should beat it because I owned it, but that has much changed now.

[quote="Exterminieren, post: 40608182"]We were blinded by promises of Munchlax, and its presence in the barren EU DS launch lineup.

It's beaten in badness only by broken-ass Hey You Pikachu.

Pokemon's quality control has got a hell of a lot better in recent years.[/QUOTE]

I think they lost their quality on the side games with the Diamond and Pearl generation. I haven't played any of their side games from this generation, though.

*edit*

I do like Mystery Dungeon Dark and Shadows of Almia, though. I also like that latest Pokemon Ranger game, but I never completed it.

I think they lost their quality on the side games with the Diamond and Pearl generation. I haven't played any of their side games from this generation, though.

I beg to differ. Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia and Guardian Signs, Pokémon Trozei, and Mystery Dungeon 2 are among the best spinoffs in the series. We've only had a handful if spinoffs so far this generation, only one of which (Conquest) is standout.

Kokonoe

Banned
I beg to differ. Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia and Guardian Signs, Pokémon Trozei, and Mystery Dungeon 2 are among the best spinoffs in the series. We've only had a handful if spinoffs so far this generation, only one of which (Conquest) is standout.

I didn't care for Trozei, but I'm referring that there was a dip in quality this generation with side Pokemon games, regardless if there were decent ones to go along with it.

Pokemon Ranch
Pokemon Dash
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Pokemon Rumble

*edit*

In other words, for Pokemon, the amount were much more, and the level of how bad they were, were a lot worse compared to previous generations.

I think Almia is the best Pokemon side game of this(last) generation personally.

Anth0ny

Fuck, there was a time when Pokemon sidegames were actually good:

Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Pokemon TCG (and 2 in Japan)
Pokemon Pinball

All these game series are seemingly dead, and in their place are a bunch of shitty Pokemon sidegames =(

Kokonoe

Banned
I didn't play Puzzle League until I purchased it off WiiWare, but it immediately became one my favorite puzzle games.
Was surprised characters from the anime were in it.

*edit*

I do like Mystery Dungeon Dark and Shadows of Almia, though. I also like that latest Pokemon Ranger game, but I never completed it.
I completely disagree on this one. Ranger was improved, Mystery Dungeon was improved to the extent that it hardly seemed like the same series any more, and Rumble was a solid little diversion. Ranch was Pokemon Box with a fuckload more effort put in. Also, the Pokepark games are far better kiddy games than the likes of Hey You Pikachu or Pokemon Channel could ever hope to be.

Localised Gen V spin offs so far are basically Super Pokemon Rumble, Pokepark 2 and Conquest. One of those is solid but very repetitive, one is a well made kid's game and Conquest has a solid claim to being the best spinoff that isn't called Snap.

Wichu

Ranch was Pokemon Box with a fuckload more effort put in.

Maybe so, but Box is still far better as a storage tool. Compatible with all 3rd gen games, pseudo Game Boy Player for Ruby/Sapphire, more box space, ability to do mass Pokémon transfers between games, and DAT SEARCH.

But yeah, agree on Ranger/Mystery Dungeon.

Kokonoe

Banned
I completely disagree on this one. Ranger was improved, Mystery Dungeon was improved to the extent that it hardly seemed like the same series any more, and Rumble was a solid little diversion. Ranch was Pokemon Box with a fuckload more effort put in. Also, the Pokepark games are far better kiddy games than the likes of Hey You Pikachu or Pokemon Channel could ever hope to be.

Localised Gen V spin offs so far are basically Super Pokemon Rumble, Pokepark 2 and Conquest. One of those is solid but very repetitive, one is a well made kid's game and Conquest has a solid claim to being the best spinoff that isn't called Snap.

Pokemon Ranch is a terrible storage method in my opinion. You have tiered caps, the interaction with the Pokemon is really lackluster, it's based on a daily monotonous cycle, and it's just not really that convenient for transferring Pokemon.

I know the original Pokemon Ranger isn't Gen IV, but it's on the DS, and with the Wii and DS we saw these games. I'm referring to a console generation, which housed at the same time Gen IV. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon didn't add that much to what was already there, it just had more elaborate story telling.

I have never played PokePark, but that game came out all the way in late 2010. There was a period in time where if you owned a Wii and wanted Pokemon, you had a lackluster experience, which is highly odd when the Wii was so successful unlike the Gamecube.

At least with the Gamecube we got Colosseum and XD which gave us a somewhat linear 3D version of Pokemon. We only really got Pokemon Ranger out of that era that was original. I'm not sure how original PokePark is as I've never played it once again, but I'll include that.

Honestly, maybe it started with Gen III on the Gamecube, but GBA had decent portable spinoffs, and I can't really say there was a single one that was terrible like Dash. When you look at the brand name of Pokemon, you usually expect there to be quality, but a major release like Battle Revolution was kinda the opposite.

I've always wondered whether 720 + 6 + 6 + 1 slots is enough for the regular use of a Generation V game, to be honest. If I do organize things a bit, things get a bit hectic when it comes to arranging things.

Still, the amount of data could be staggering. There's a limited amount of flash storage on the game cards themselves, and the data have checksum data attached, too. Better safe than sorry, but sometimes, I've wondered what if they just went with double the save file size.

Now, if it were possible for a 3DS app to act as a storage game... We know for sure that 3DS games have full read and write access to save data for a DS game.

If there were a storage app/game, I'd treat it as a storage app first and foremost, and the game part, well, is something that is more... of an aside.

Ultratech

Wow, I never knew about a lot of stuff on there. Who knew there were so many crazy glitches?

Yeah, the original Red/Green games were a complete technical mess from a coding standpoint.
Everything in that image stands after they fixed a lot of the major bugs for the US release. (And even then, look how many things are still messed up!)

Still have to laugh since there's stuff on there I didn't even know. I'd lol hard knowing I could Counter a OHKO attack.

Boogiepop

I still fail to see PBR as some huge drop-off in quality from the Stadium games. They're pretty much the same things: an overpriced way to play Pokemon with better graphics. Just replace Stadium's minigames with PBR's customization/online/more "battle frontier esque" modes. Oh, and you don't have to keep the piece of crap transfer pack working at all times in PBR (only reason I don't have a surfing pikachu and as such never played that minigame!)

Personally, I still feel like Colosseum and XD are the only useful entries in that whole series of games. At least those had something interesting with the RPG modes.

backlot

I remember PBR being alright for the time. It was the easiest way to find online battles. Thank god B/W added a random battle option.

Top Bottom