• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

OMG Aero

I know a great site that's hiring if you're looking for a job.
U3NQB.jpg

I always play each game straight through, can't get enough - but more often than not it's only a one-time playthrough (because of dex completion and poke collection primarily - I never transfer my entire collection forward from each one, only the strong ones).

Only one I played through multiple times was Emerald, Blue, and Leaf Green. Each of those times were for slightly different reasons.

Kokonoe

Banned
What are some Pokemon names you were wrong about before hearing them in the anime?

Milotic, I thought "My-law-tic" instead of "My-low-tic".
Rayquaza, I thought "Ray-cua-zah" instead of "Ray-kway-zah".

Wichu

What are some Pokemon names you were wrong about before hearing them in the anime?

I still pronounce Rayquaza wrong. Also, Arceus should be 'ar-see-uhs', not 'ar-kee-uhs'. Battle Revolution announcer > anime characters.

PK Gaming

Genesect has officially been released and let me tell you guys its fucking awesome.

I'm using this set btw:

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

It revenge kills everything @_@. I've been wanting to use this thing for 2 years...

Wichu

Genesect has officially been released and let me tell you guys its fucking awesome.

I'm using this set btw:

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

It revenge kills everything @_@. I've been wanting to use this thing for 2 years...

I hate Genesect. So difficult to counter without resorting to heavy-duty special walls. It's like Nidoking, but it can actually outspeed stuff.

Frost_Ace

I'm using this set btw:

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

This set is pretty much the best one, and with download it's like he's holding specs too D:

Boney

Banned

that's just the tv guy saying them wrong

the names are how they phonetically sound in most non english languages

MikeMyers

I see.

I'm still deciding what team I'll use on B&W2.
~ Water Starter
~ Scrafty
~ Flareon (COME AT ME HATERS)

Man, Chikorita shoulda been in this game.

Wichu

Yes, but an ideal Samurott moveset (even in-game) is all physical (i.e. Waterfall, Megahorn, Superpower, Swords Dance) as it offers more coverage.

Isn't Samurott's special attack better than its physical attack? Without EV training, you might as well go for a mixed set with Ice Beam.

Isn't Samurott's special attack better than its physical attack? Without EV training, you might as well go for a mixed set with Ice Beam.

Swords Dance makes all the difference. If Samurott got Nasty Plot, then a Special set would be fine. However, due to the lack of strong Special moves available to Samurott until lategame, a Physical set will make quick work of pretty much every trainer in the game.

Kokonoe

Banned
I guess I am going to go with Oshawott this time as I really like Samurott. I originally didn't like Oshawott, but it's grown on me a lot.

MikeMyers

I've been looking through my old games, heres what Pokemon I used in the previous games.

RBY:
- Pikachu
- Gyarados
- Venusaur
- Dugtrio
- Flareon
- Gengar

GSC:
- Meganium
- Golem
- Alakazam
- Gyarados
- Suicune
- Gengar

RSE:
- Blaziken
- Manetike
- Cacturne
- Starmie
- Gyarados
- Metagross

Leaf Green:
- Clefable
- Flareon
- Dewgong
- Zapdos
- Gyarados
- Dragonite

DPPT:
- Infernape
- Gyarados
- Garchomp
- Salamence
- Roserade
- Glaceon

B&W:
- Serperior
- Lucario
- Chandelure
- Mamoswine
- Gyarados
- Hydreigon

Kokonoe

Banned
All I know is, if I am not using a water starter (it still happens sometimes if I do), and Gyarados is in the game, it'll be in my party. Possibly the most story picked Pokemon that isn't a starter besides Bird Pokemon and Pikachu.

MikeMyers

All I know is, if I am not using a water starter (it still happens sometimes if I do), and Gyarados is in the game, it'll be in my party. Possibly the most story picked Pokemon that isn't a starter besides Bird Pokemon and Pikachu.

I have him on my team every single time.

I plan on ditching Oshawatt for him when I get to Magikarp Salesman.

I've been looking through my old games, heres what Pokemon I used in the previous games.

Hmm interesting...I tried to remember the teams I used but it's kinda tough...

Blue:
Blastoise
Gengar
Wigglytuff

Gold/Silver:
Feraligatr
Ampharos

Emerald:
Blazkien
Gardevoir
Ludicolo

Platinum:
Infernape
Gyrados
Leafeon
Garchomp
Ambipom
Luxray

HG/SS
Feraligatr
Salamence
Tyranitar
Arcanine

B/W
Fire Pig
Krookodile
Tortooga
Haxorus
Cover legendary

Hehe, we have pretty similar teams in Leaf Green/Fire Red. I remember using a good percentage of those Pokemon in that game. I did have a Haunter and was eternally saddened I didn't have a way to evolve him.

MikeMyers

Hehe, we have pretty similar teams in Leaf Green/Fire Red. I remember using a good percentage of those Pokemon in that game. I did have a Haunter and was eternally saddened I didn't have a way to evolve him.

Same.

But I have imported my Haunter to my Platinum now, with hopes that one day, I can import that Haunter to my White and have Gengar in White.

OMG Aero

Swords Dance makes all the difference. If Samurott got Nasty Plot, then a Special set would be fine. However, due to the lack of strong Special moves available to Samurott until lategame, a Physical set will make quick work of pretty much every trainer in the game.
Anything can make quick work of every trainer in the game.
Pokemon games are made for children so you can pick pretty much any Pokemon you want and as long as you don't give them stupid moves you will never have a problem until maybe the boss of the evil team/elite four/gyms if your whole team has a massive weakness to one.

Blue:
Venusaur
Dewgong
Hitmonlee
Fearow
Dugtrio

Silver:
Feraligatr
Espeon
HM Slave
...that's it.

Sapphire: