• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

c8lw5.jpg
Fourth favorite

They could totally do starters that evolved into dual-type Water/Psychic, Fire/Dark, Grass/Fighting.

That way Water beats Fire, Fire beats Grass, and Grass beats Water, but when they evolve Psychic is weak to Dark, Dark is weak to Fighting, and Fighting is weak to Psychic.

Neki

well Ghost has the advantage that all the level 1-10 pokemon only have normal attacks

so ghost all the way!

or

3 dragon starters!

I got done setting up my wireless router at my new place with WPA, but I was thinking about switching to WEP for Pokemon. I'm trying to think if it's worth it though, since I'm not even really playing Black anymore but mainly because I couldn't connect my DS to the internet.

Neki

I got done setting up my wireless router at my new place with WPA, but I was thinking about switching to WEP for Pokemon. I'm trying to think if it's worth it though, since I'm not even really playing Black anymore but mainly because I couldn't connect my DS to the internet.

Just do what me and Zeroth do, switch it when we need to use it for pokemon, lol.

Neki

Don't have enough to upgrade to a DSi, and have no interest in a 3DS.

Someone answer this for me, instead: besides battling/trading, is there any real reason to need online for Black/White?

if you're not interested in dream world abilities/berries/certain pokemon, then no.

Eh, I don't really care that much about Dream World abilities. Well...the Pokemon I'm interested in have worse DW abilities than their normal ones, at least.

Thanks everyone. I'll try to find a library or something since every single one I've been to has had a WEP connection.

Boogiepop

Infernape annoyed me because it was pretty much "here's Blaziken again, only slightly better making Blaziken completely useless." Fortunately, Speed Boost managed to return Blaziken to its rightful place.

And while we're talking about starters, does anyone else feel like Empoleon got super-screwed in terms of its trio? I'm not talking competitively or anything, but in match-ups versus its peers. I mean, you have the grass starter slamming it with its ground type, and from the other side you have the fire starter and its fighting type. Meanwhile, Infernape and Torterra's typings work out fine against the other two starters, while Empoleon can only hit Infernape with supereffective STAB moves. Just seems like they were about to make a double circle of sorts, but then decided to screw Empoleon instead.

MikeMyers

Infernape annoyed me because it was pretty much "here's Blaziken again, only slightly better making Blaziken completely useless." Fortunately, Speed Boost managed to return Blaziken to its rightful place. .

Eh, I always found Infernape overhyped even in competitive play. Great movepool, but he never gets full coverage. And once the surprise factor wears off, I find him easy to check. And while 104 is pretty good offensive stats, I don't really see it as sweeper material. Sure he has Nasty Plot/Swords Dance, but he can't really take a hit. Not to mention Rain is omnipresent now.

I mean, he's good and worthy of OU, but not that amazing.

OMG Aero

Infernape annoyed me because it was pretty much "here's Blaziken again, only slightly better making Blaziken completely useless." Fortunately, Speed Boost managed to return Blaziken to its rightful place.

And while we're talking about starters, does anyone else feel like Empoleon got super-screwed in terms of its trio? I'm not talking competitively or anything, but in match-ups versus its peers. I mean, you have the grass starter slamming it with its ground type, and from the other side you have the fire starter and its fighting type. Meanwhile, Infernape and Torterra's typings work out fine against the other two starters, while Empoleon can only hit Infernape with supereffective STAB moves. Just seems like they were about to make a double circle of sorts, but then decided to screw Empoleon instead.
I think it's offset by Empoleon getting ice moves. While it doesn't get STAB for those moves, they are 4x effective against Torterra whereas both Torterra and Infernape get 2x super effective moves against their counters.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Eh, I always found Infernape overhyped even in competitive play. Great movepool, but he never gets full coverage. And once the surprise factor wears off, I find him easy to check. And while 104 is pretty good offensive stats, I don't really see it as sweeper material. Sure he has Nasty Plot/Swords Dance, but he can't really take a hit. Not to mention Rain is omnipresent now.

I mean, he's good and worthy of OU, but not that amazing.

Maybe but he was a great wall breaker. Physical, special, all in the same set.

Top Bottom