• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

EDIT: How in the world did I manage to time three posts in a row each exactly one hour after the previous???

I don't know, but a one-minute window is actually sorta big, if you aim for the middle, huh? Either way, it's a cool coincidence.

After changing the lights out in the room, my, I can see the plushies much better now, and they're really bright and cheery! Gotta love the Bigtini!

:D
QhLmk.jpg
EKbgs.jpg

I think I was the first one to come into my GameStop for Keldeo, but (just as I was about to leave) a kid probably 9 or 10 years old came in to get it too. I guess school had just gotten out. He looked younger than I was when I first started playing Pokémon. ;~;

Firestorm

If you guys are wondering what good trainers use, Wolfe wrote an article about the team he used to get 2nd at the World Championships last weekend:
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/eggscelent-execution/

Yes. That pun in the title means he used what you think he used.
And to follow up on this, Ray just put up what he used to take 1st place this year for a third time in a row and basically cement himself as the best goddamn player in the world:

http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/third-times-the-charm-masters-world-champion-team-analysis/

(If you're wondering about the references to his 2011 team, it's because he surprised the world with Gothitelle which he made excellent use of as well as really the first major appearance of Bold Thundurus).

PK Gaming

Hydreigon is my favorite and, in my opinion, the best Dragon. It is also the only repeat Pokémon from last year’s World Championship team. Its unique resistances pair really well with the Cresselia/Metagross duo, and it has excellent coverage options. The set itself is very simple. Hydreigon’s purpose on the team is to hit hard and fast, using Gem-boosted Draco Meteors to tear holes in an opponent who mispredicts or misplays while its coverage moves, Dark Pulse and Flamethrower, hit Cresselia and Steel-types respectively. The Speed EVs give Hydreigon enough Speed to outspeed neutral natured max Speed base 100s (and 102s).

I really like this Ray Rizzo guy hehe. Bold Thundurus was hilarious I couldn't believe it when I first saw it.

Boogiepop

Pokegaf, good news. Garchomp has been temporarily unbanned!

The stipulation: Rough Skin is the only ability of choice!

More details here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4375323#post4375323

If things turn out right, it could lead to bigger things.

Wait, I thought they said they'd never do something like this because it'd be too complex or something. I thought this was the reason that Blaziken as a whole is banned instead of just Blaziken with Speed Boost.

PK Gaming

It's actually just a sand veil test, but since garchomp got banned as a result of sand veil (that was pretty much the only reason why it got banned) its getting temporarily unbanned to see if its still broken without sand veil.

Hellish

Is there any reason to stop levelling at a certain point? I am trying to avoid googling but I am playing soul silver for the first time and briefly remember some battle thing were it limited the level of pokemon you could use.

MikeMyers

You know, Garchomp's Special Attack stat isn't that bad. Even at Jolly nature, Fire Blast has a 25% chance to OHKO Skarmory under the sun.

PK Gaming

You're talking about chain chomp (Mixed garchomp) right? Classic set.

TBH though SD is better; +2 Fire fang is doing a ton to skarm, and if you flinch it you can beat it 1 v 1. Definitely a trump card that can win you tournament games though.

MikeMyers

You're talking about chain chomp (Mixed garchomp) right? Classic set.

TBH though SD is better; +2 Fire fang is doing a ton to skarm, and if you flinch it you can beat it 1 v 1. Definitely a trump card that can win you tournament games though.

I don't know many people who used Mixed Garchomp, I've seen Fire Fang on him plenty of times.

Garchomp is also insanely broken in-game because in Platinum you can get Gible after the second gym.

And in the anime Cynthia's Garchomp destroys everything.

Garchomp....the ultimate troll of Pokemon?

Firestorm

Is there any reason to stop levelling at a certain point? I am trying to avoid googling but I am playing soul silver for the first time and briefly remember some battle thing were it limited the level of pokemon you could use.
Nah. Last time that was an issue was 2009.

Unicorn

He could also be referring to the Battle Tower/Frontier where if you're over level 50 or something all the enemy pokemon are the same level as your highest, so having a mix of high and low level pokemon would put you at a big disadvantage.

Firestorm

Do you mean for some tournament? I don't remember anything in game that you had to be a low level for.
Yeah. Multiplayer battles locally wouldn't adjust you down to 50 so anything above 50 was banned (which also banned Dragonite and Tyranitar). Now we can do flat battles which brings anything above 50 down.
Isn't that just for Pokemon who come from other people, though? Like, your own pokes would obey you no matter what.
Yeah, just traded mons.

Firestorm

No, if you go over that level they all start disobeying you.
Never had that happen. It has always been the ones traded over for me. I especially remember my Red runs where I'd grab Bulbasaur and Squirtle from my brother and they'd be complete douchebags whereas my sweet little Charmander would be obedient ^_^

Or maybe it's because Bulbasaur and Squirtle are douchebags whereas Charmander is the best idk

MikeMyers

Or maybe it's because Bulbasaur and Squirtle are douchebags whereas Charmander is the best idk

Do you remember the episode where the Pokemon could talk (its the episode after SS Anne)? Bulbasaur is an asshole, he kept claiming Ash had abandoned them or something.

Ekans and Koffing: We are not bad, our masters are bad

I taught my Keldeo Secret Sword! I like the extra scene with Keldeo, Cobalion, Virizion, and Terrakion.

B2/W2 Spoiler (?)
Does this mean it will be in its Resolute Form when I trade it over, or will I still have to assemble the four of them again?

Kokonoe

Banned
That Gastly will always be the most powerful Pokemon of all time.

Second is Ash's own Haunter.
It's a shame they never showed it again.

3/4 sheer colds from a walrein in the battle subway today

fantastic day

I tend to stay away from stuff like that, but that does remind me of a poor decision I made a while back in 2003 with Ruby. As I picked Ruby, I didn't have Kyogre, and a lot of people I played against utilized Kyogre's Sheer Cold move, so I leveled up Aggron not realizing how susceptible it was to Kyogre.

OMG Aero

No, if you go over that level they all start disobeying you.
This is just a misconception caused by the vague "Pokemon up to level xx will now obey you" text.
A Pokemon you catch will never disobey you since the disobedience system is in the game to stop you from getting a Pokemon from someone else then cheesing your way through the game. The only exception to this I can think of is Mew in FR/LG where it was coded to always disobey you if you cheated for it and didn't get it from an event.

This might have been different in the original games but I'm certain this is how it has worked for a long time and all the searches I've done about it say this as well.

MikeMyers

It's a shame they never showed it again.
Heh, I noticed we generally agree with a lot of stuff.

I tend to stay away from stuff like that, but that does remind me of a poor decision I made a while back in 2003 with Ruby. As I picked Ruby, I didn't have Kyogre, and a lot of people I played against utilized Kyogre's Sheer Cold move, so I leveled up Aggron not realizing how susceptible it was to Kyogre.

I took picked Ruby, Groudon was just too badass.

Didn't he meet Giovanni in that Mewtwo Returns special? Well it's been a while.

Oh, and Venusaur is cool. As a kid, I was always salty about Island of the Giant Pokemon because I wanted to hear what Pidgeotto and Butterfree had to say. Hell, I'm still salty about Butterfree leaving without accomplishing much. Poor thing.

I'm still playing Japanese Yellow and I was absolutely shocked that Ivysaur doesn't learn Sleep Powder for quite a long time. These new games have really changed things around, holy shit.

Top Bottom